My experience with my kids in DAoC

Reading Seethyrs note made me think back of the early days of DAoC when one of my four son's brought the game into the house 16 years ago. All four of them played over the years and when I originally rolled Dahd, the healer on Percival, I still remember typing the name Dad but getting told I could not use that name on a roleplay server; insert h and now lame Dad was roleplaying.

I have fond memories playing with all of them growing up and the DAoC time we had together leveling up characters and all the different styles of RvR. All four of them played in athletic sports and two of them played College level baseball but when they were growing up; there wasn't anything near an on-line athlete (as there exists today). I think our family gaming console at the time was a retired Sega Genisis and the first X-box had just entered their lives) Today, they are all young-men and one still plays the game every now and then. After several failed attempts of 5v5 with some of my on-line friends, I told him about the 1v1 tourney a year or so ago and entered him. I love watching him solo; he is really good. But when he won his light tanks class (Waltr BM) along with Kiramerc on the hybrids and went to the finals and worked his way into the semi-finals (ended up in 3rd place) I was really proud of him. Equally proud as some of his best individual and team wins on the baseball field. For someone like myself who has let this game be my weekly entertainment (with several extended leaves over the years) it was nice to see his success in something we both enjoy together. I share the story because as a parent i understand the joy of doing something together with your child and when you both like the activity; its just a bonus.

Now roll the clock back to when the boys were younger and we take a road-trip to the Vegas Roundtable. The two younger ones dress up like my on-line friend Tony "Burugak" the bonedancer. One dressed up in a wizzy like costume and the other in a skelly. It was about this time of year (I think) so they had picked these things out as their costumes anyway. They were all of 10 and 8 and I get them to go up on the stage in front of like 200 adult gamers and they go into the whole act. The older one yells out I release you Pet and the younger one falls down and plays dead. Crowd goes nuts and they win hands down.

I took the time to share, not just about the game and the community but more about the family and the good times that one can teach kids. This game has a lot to offer for a developing mind. Analytical, organizational, tactical, how to loose, how to win, how to build a template and piecing things together, progression to improve,delayed gratification and working for items, a challenge to build something better, etc

Be a good parent, support your kids in the things that they like that make them grow up to be good level 50s - whether Norse, Britons, or Celts. I wont tell you to keep them in Molvik or when you should take them out in big-boy RvR, thats not my place. Teach them well (whatever that means for you); they will model you in more ways you could ever know.

--or maybe I'm just lucky; I need a demezz, my purge is down.

Comments

• Percy wrote: »
    After several failed attempts of 5v5 with some of my on-line friends

Idk whose idea it was to put me on the pac healer.. :sweat_smile: horrid idea no one should put that amount of responsibility in me.
    <Chaos Theory>

Message me for an 8v8 if you wanna try me.
  • Lolz doc. That was the first one when I had zero confidence in my abilities to compete at that level and we had six so I sat out. I know you have your own story of playing with your dad in the game. There are many out there. Thank you Rob Denton and team Broadsword for keeping this game going all of these years.
  • Thanks for sharing.
  • Great story! The only games I could get my family to play back in the day was Duke Nuk'em via lan or Doom 2, still fun and loved it, but I was definitely the only one that was into mmos at the time. I eventually got my little brother to start playing some daoc with me, but he eventually left for Age of Empires.
  • I played with all three of mine as well. Thanks for the story!
    I know you have your own story of playing with your dad in the game.

Bud, I was the best dragon tank there was, my warrior Doombuggie had no fear vs that mid dragon, good times back then.
    <Chaos Theory>

• edited November 2018 PM
    [removed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    Ronaldo wrote: »
    removed

just showed him he laughed. jokes on u
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    <Chaos Theory>

• certainly not what I meant this thread to be. Thanks. Wont bother to post here again
  • Don’t let moronic trolls ruin your posts. Obviously Ronaldo is a bait, troll. Look at his other posts
    certainly not what I meant this thread to be. Thanks. Wont bother to post here again
    BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    Don’t let moronic trolls ruin your posts. Obviously Ronaldo is a bait, troll. Look at his other posts

Yeah it's not too bad here, stick around some.
    Reading Seethyrs note made me think back of the early days of DAoC when one of my four son's brought the game into the house 16 years ago. All four of them played over the years and when I originally rolled Dahd, the healer on Percival, I still remember typing the name Dad but getting told I could not use that name on a roleplay server; insert h and now lame Dad was roleplaying.

I have fond memories playing with all of them growing up and the DAoC time we had together leveling up characters and all the different styles of RvR. All four of them played in athletic sports and two of them played College level baseball but when they were growing up; there wasn't anything near an on-line athlete (as there exists today). I think our family gaming console at the time was a retired Sega Genisis and the first X-box had just entered their lives) Today, they are all young-men and one still plays the game every now and then. After several failed attempts of 5v5 with some of my on-line friends, I told him about the 1v1 tourney a year or so ago and entered him. I love watching him solo; he is really good. But when he won his light tanks class (Waltr BM) along with Kiramerc on the hybrids and went to the finals and worked his way into the semi-finals (ended up in 3rd place) I was really proud of him. Equally proud as some of his best individual and team wins on the baseball field. For someone like myself who has let this game be my weekly entertainment (with several extended leaves over the years) it was nice to see his success in something we both enjoy together. I share the story because as a parent i understand the joy of doing something together with your child and when you both like the activity; its just a bonus.

Now roll the clock back to when the boys were younger and we take a road-trip to the Vegas Roundtable. The two younger ones dress up like my on-line friend Tony "Burugak" the bonedancer. One dressed up in a wizzy like costume and the other in a skelly. It was about this time of year (I think) so they had picked these things out as their costumes anyway. They were all of 10 and 8 and I get them to go up on the stage in front of like 200 adult gamers and they go into the whole act. The older one yells out I release you Pet and the younger one falls down and plays dead. Crowd goes nuts and they win hands down.

I took the time to share, not just about the game and the community but more about the family and the good times that one can teach kids. This game has a lot to offer for a developing mind. Analytical, organizational, tactical, how to loose, how to win, how to build a template and piecing things together, progression to improve,delayed gratification and working for items, a challenge to build something better, etc

Be a good parent, support your kids in the things that they like that make them grow up to be good level 50s - whether Norse, Britons, or Celts. I wont tell you to keep them in Molvik or when you should take them out in big-boy RvR, thats not my place. Teach them well (whatever that means for you); they will model you in more ways you could ever know.

--or maybe I'm just lucky; I need a demezz, my purge is down.

awesome post :)

i wish i had kids that i could play this game with. :)
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    Don’t let moronic trolls ruin your posts. Obviously Ronaldo is a bait, troll. Look at his other posts

Ronoldo = Nate. I was told he admitted it. Too bad, I thought that Cat was good peeps. I mean who talks to themselves in the first person like that on the other threads?

Got to play again tonight after the BG with him again in smally. We got smoked a few times by 2x and 3x the numbers but how can I get mad when my 25 year old son comes over to play DAoC with me for an hour?
  • Don’t feel bad, I was fooled by the false reasons he started running the alb bg.

I figured it was him, but didn’t want to call him out and deal with the childish egomaniac argue in the 3rd person lol

So he makes an account to get around a ban and yet his in game account was not sanctioned? Wonder if BS realizes that every time he does stupid stuff like this he aims to make them look incompetent?
    I bet you $13.99 they don't care :wink: . Sorry your thread got hijacked though @Percy. I enjoyed reading it. I started playing when i was in my mid 20's. No siblings to play with, and my kids are still a bit young. My oldest is showing some interest, but i won't steer him away from sports or other activities to sit in front of a pc with his old dad.

Your post brought back some laughable memories for me. I played for 2-3 years on dialup :-O. Teamspeak was available, but between my piss poor connection and trying to run TS, i suffered. I did find that i was able to run Roger Wilco (hahah... geez what a horid voice program) and not go linkdead every 2 seconds.

In any event, i still play DAoC with friends that i made 17 years ago from Alb Bors. Something to be said about that....
    Post edited by Sleepwell on
  • You’re probably right, but I think it’s way more than $13.99
  • @Sleepwell the OG? Man I was tripping thinking it was some poser again using your name. Long time if it is you.