@Broadsword: how can we encourage more people to carry rams?

Currently it’s quite a burden for anyone to carry rams and actually use them. Mostly it’s tanks and the same people every time. Can we make it more desirable and user friendly to carry equipment for rams or siege towers? Maybe remove the weight requirement? Maybe make it easier to craft or just be able to buy on a merchant? I feel the current system discourages people from carrying them, especially since most casters don’t have enough encumbrance.
Symonde (Cleric)
Symfriar (Friar duh)
Symsorc (Double duh)
Sympets (Theurg)
Symmond (Arms)
Some random mids and hibs

Comments

• since the siegecraft patch, its actually more easier than ever before with sieging crafting capping out at around 200 rather than 1000.

crafting a ram used to take several minutes and required full inventory space, todays ram takes about 4 seconds to craft. and all recipes use similar ingredients which can be purchased from most vendors including the ones you can put up in courtyards/towers.

on top of the global /bank option you can literally carry endless siege with a few minutes preparation.
  • Haha man tald the good ole days used to be hard! Like walking up hill both ways in the snow during winter in Russia!
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • I think at least 8 of my toons have over 1000 seige crafting becuase evryone was too lazy to lvl it up.
  • Make taking keeps more fun. Sitting on a ram and timing my click is my least favorite thing to do in the game.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Just decrease the weight of seige and make more bag space on our toons. Also increase bank space which i believe is in the works.
  • There use to be such a thing as a diminutive siege ram. You used alchemy and sc to make a gem and some tincture and you could condense the ram inside a small box that would weigh less. Maybe they could bring something like that back again @beibhinn
  • Imo (and I've posted this elsewhere) the biggest issue for siege utilization is the current limit on bag/bank slots in conjunction with the vast amount of items that can't be vaulted.

If you have a toon that SPECIFICALLY runs for the sole purpose of utilizing siege, then the limited available slots aren't much of an issue.

If; however, you're like me and run solo/small/8 and occasionally siege then with the combination of speed gems, potions, items, specific items/armor that can't be vaulted, your available bank/bag slots fill up quite quickly and it's very troublesome to keep many slots available for siege open at all.
  • I feel like the new crafting of siege and the /bank slots available coupled with horse saddlebags and personal inventory is more than adequate to carry tons of siege. One thing that could help alleviate this is the option to get rid of unnecessary items such as port stones. I like what they did with the champion/epic gear where you can destroy it and just repurchase it at minimal cost. They need to apply that to port stones, class cloaks, champion weapons, dragon slayer weapons, etc.

More than anything I think the lack of people carrying siege is mainly attributed to people's laziness and unwillingness to to be helpful to their realm. I'm not sure how Broadsword is supposed to change the core mentality of players.

One thing I think needs to be changed concerning rams is the ability to use purge when on a ram. I think it's very discouraging for people to get on a ram because if they are hit with a stun/mezz while on it they are pretty much stuck there and free rps.
  • Sovereign wrote: »
    I feel like the new crafting of siege and the /bank slots available coupled with horse saddlebags and personal inventory is more than adequate to carry tons of siege. One thing that could help alleviate this is the option to get rid of unnecessary items such as port stones. I like what they did with the champion/epic gear where you can destroy it and just repurchase it at minimal cost. They need to apply that to port stones, class cloaks, champion weapons, dragon slayer weapons, etc.

More than anything I think the lack of people carrying siege is mainly attributed to people's laziness and unwillingness to to be helpful to their realm. I'm not sure how Broadsword is supposed to change the core mentality of players.

One thing I think needs to be changed concerning rams is the ability to use purge when on a ram. I think it's very discouraging for people to get on a ram because if they are hit with a stun/mezz while on it they are pretty much stuck there and free rps.

1. Yes Sovereign there are more than enough current slots available to carry as much siege as necessary IF your toon is primarily used for siege. Those like me that main a heavy tank with the capability of crafting/carrying siege whom play multiple play styles and don't necessarily focus on siege don't have nearly as many slots available for siege due to the reason listed above. Also having to /delete items that can be re-purchased such as those you've listed, also including artifacts, is an extremely annoying method of freeing up bank/bag slots.
    2. That is 100% accurate and unfortunately given the current state of RvR and keep siege warfare there really isn't an overpowering incentive TO defend/attack especially if you're in a small man or in an 8 man that lacks ranged dps. It's well known that those groups with a large amount of ranged dps have the highest probability for kills/deathblows and therefore will earn the most realm points while melee dps/support not in a ranged dps group receive mediocre returns at best. The current core mentality of half the NF population is to earn as many realm points as quickly as possible. Given that mentality I can understand why so many players join the Herorius zerg for keep takes, for example, and why the amount of defenders are so few.
    a. Scenario - Why should I spend 1-2 hours (in most cases shorter than that) defending a keep on an armsman when, realistically, I may earn anywhere from 10-30k realm points when instead I can run to the 'solo' areas and earn just as much in a fraction of the time?
  • Sovereign wrote: »
    I like what they did with the champion/epic gear where you can destroy it and just repurchase it at minimal cost. They need to apply that to port stones, class cloaks, champion weapons, dragon slayer weapons, etc.

You can already replace champ weapons for free. Just repair them, click “respecialize”, then choose a new one (or don’t pick one at all to free up a slot).
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • make it so anyone can deploy them would be a start, perhaps having siegecrafting makes it deploy faster or something but give people an incentive to actually have them. I remember I had bought some in housing then found out you needed siegecraft to deploy and was like -_-
  • Teehehe wrote: »
    make it so anyone can deploy them would be a start, perhaps having siegecrafting makes it deploy faster or something but give people an incentive to actually have them. I remember I had bought some in housing then found out you needed siegecraft to deploy and was like -_-

Haha that's exactly how I found out too. Then wen't and crafted for a few hours to get siege over 200.
  • I think they should make port stones deletable as well. If a person wants to get around there are foil hats and recall scrolls.
  • I don't think it's all inventory issues.

I mean, why carry a ram in the first place? I don't see much keep taking, at least not during PST hours on US West Coast. People don't seem terribly interested in it. I think over time, due to how the playerbase has evolved, the game has essentially becoming a giant roamiming deathmatch and the RvR/Relics/Keeps portion has suffered and sort of died on the vine.

I'd love more incentives and reasons to take keeps - some of this could be done by virtue of reward, or it could be done by virtue of making the keeps themselves more of a tactical asset that people actually want and desire.

Make me want to take keeps, and I'll fill my entire bank with rams and have a blast.
  • allow ballistas everywhere on keep walls---give that tank some range
  • the question should be
    how can we encourage more people to dont carry rams?
    and stop pve (how i call zerging and pve keep raiding)

how can we encourage do more smallman rvr and less zerging
  • aso wrote: »
    the question should be
    how can we encourage more people to dont carry rams?
    and stop pve (how i call zerging and pve keep raiding)

how can we encourage do more smallman rvr and less zerging

Trying to persuade people to not zerg is not something that I believe will help the sustainability of the game overall. Like it or not, zergs are the largest population of players in the game. Screwing with that is not a wise move. If you want increases to other play styles then things like stealth zergs need to be looked at. IMO stealth zergs are having a much more harmful impact on solo's and smallmans than zergs do.
  • I think bank slots are fine for siege as is and don't think it should be increased at all.
    Surprised you have managed to fill 56 slots with stuff that cant be put somewhere else.
    Even just 1 page of siege and tents on horse is plenty for most keeps attacks, or just bring mats and make on site.
  • Smeger wrote: »
    I think bank slots are fine for siege as is and don't think it should be increased at all.
    Surprised you have managed to fill 56 slots with stuff that cant be put somewhere else.
    Even just 1 page of siege and tents on horse is plenty for most keeps attacks, or just bring mats and make on site.

Good point, I just recently came back and had tons of Siege equipment in my bank and vaults so I haven't yet crafted any of the Siege equipment. I've heard it's a lot easier now but is it easy enough? Should the merchant just sell the completed piece of siege ?
  • I'm with the people who say "take away the skill requirement to deploy". Some people just don't want to craft, but they will spend plat in the market to buy and carry if they can deploy without skilling up. And the folks who do craft can sell in housing at a small profit. Benefits multiple groups.
  • edited April 2018 PM
    I think reducing the cost of making the field stuff and maybe the forti seige stuff would be a good start. also, in the beginning areas, add a quest on how to use seige again. Also, in the bg's add the merchant that you can buy crafting materials from so that you can make seige rams/cats/trebs for the bg! instead of having that lousy merhcant follow you lol

Also, reduce the weight on how much they are, casters dont want to put them in their inventory as they weigh too much! the more people using seige the better!

I think this could help newer players learn how to make/use seige crafting. Its not perfect but its a start
    Post edited by Whyane on
  • Badnagen wrote: »
    I'm with the people who say "take away the skill requirement to deploy". Some people just don't want to craft, but they will spend plat in the market to buy and carry if they can deploy without skilling up. And the folks who do craft can sell in housing at a small profit. Benefits multiple groups.

Since they revamped the siege skill and it only requires 250 or something, people can actually deploy field rams without any training. I'm not sure how many other engines, but field rams deployment is orange con to someone with 0 in siege skill.
  • Whyane wrote: »
    I think reducing the cost of making the field stuff and maybe the forti seige stuff would be a good start. also, in the beginning areas, add a quest on how to use seige again. Also, in the bg's add the merchant that you can buy crafting materials from so that you can make seige rams/cats/trebs for the bg! instead of having that lousy merhcant follow you lol

Also, reduce the weight on how much they are, casters dont want to put them in their inventory as they weigh too much! the more people using seige the better!

I think this could help newer players learn how to make/use seige crafting. Its not perfect but its a start

What I would like to see them do in the battlegrounds is to make rams work how they do in rvr where anyone can control and use the ram, not just the person that purchased it. They don't have to make it carry more than 1 person as I could see that justifiable in a "smaller scale" kind of way. But limiting rams to the person that purchased it has never made any sense to me.