What is the point of this forum?

Ignore the haters that just want to complain about the format. People hate change, nobody understands that better than me.

That said, having two different boards is a little odd. Especially when we still say things like "if you want to shittalk, you can still use postcount!" That, combined with the fear that your account can be actioned if you "break the rules" here[0] have led to some concern for a late-stage game that can't really afford fragmentation.

I've also seen some attempts to use this board like a ~ticket system[1], where the thread was "closed" after it was "resolved" (which is an anti-pattern for forums, as that mindset can hinder conversation).

So, I'd like to propose something!

- A clear "Code of Conduct" that is easy to read and explains what is / is not allowed.
- A standard enforcement of this CoC that is predictable and reliable.
- Some work to improve the quality of life of the forums (extending the cookies beyond 24 hours, potentially some UI work, etc). I'm happy to volunteer some time to help with these (even if just giving feedback to whoever is working on it).
- Some integrations with daocutils.com -- I'd be happy to work on my end to really make these forums useful for daoc people (yes, I understand this would be self serving, but the goal of daocutils.com is to make daoc more approachable).

I think the only way to solve the "problem" of two forums is to make this one more appealing than the other, rather than trying to rule this one with an iron fist and let that one be the wild west.

You know where to reach me!

[0] One thing I see a lot is "just don't be extra naughty!" etc. Not trying to call Beibs out here, but the "you shouldn't be afraid if you have nothing to hide" argument has been proven to be a really flawed outlook in many different arenas throughout time.
[1] https://forum.darkageofcamelot.com/discussion/367/can-we-get-rid-of-these-quests#latest
Tagged:

Comments

• To be clear, I know we have https://forum.darkageofcamelot.com/code-of-conduct -- I'm more saying that the punishment for specific things should be clearly stated (and not left up to subjective factors).
  • I agree it should be more clear but I think the point is that for people to not being rude or abusive behavior to these forums. I don’t understand how that is hard for some people, unless someone is genuinely an asshole in real life.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Perhaps the confusion would be better dealt with by closing down the unofficial forum now that an official forum has been created. Of course, the downside will be that we lose the feedback from ex-players that is important, despite there not being much useful feedback from that group to begin with.
  • I know where to find you....curious on the utils link so want to find out more.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • edited April 2018 PM
    they average like 1 post a day, hopefuly soon they will change it from preschoolers only, and let all the adults that create 99.9% of their game come to the forums as well

its was quite embarrassing for daoc as a whole for some big new forum launch, that no one uses cuz the rules are made up by some 75 year old lady who thinks we are all 5
    Post edited by Huehuaehue on
  • Sym wrote: »
    I agree it should be more clear but I think the point is that for people to not being rude or abusive behavior to these forums. I don’t understand how that is hard for some people, unless someone is genuinely an asshole in real life.

As far as I can tell, nothing is *too difficult* for anyone (unless they really just are a huge PITA). That said, the fear of the unknown is what worries people. I.E. how much can you tease / make jokes / etc?

If BS wants to take the forum and potentially action your real game account, it should be clearly stated, and not subjective. I'm fine with either direction, as long as people know what to expect :)
  • Huehuaehue wrote: »
    they average like 1 post a day, hopefuly soon they will change it from preschoolers only, and let all the adults that create 99.9% of their game come to the forums as well

its was quite embarrassing for daoc as a whole for some big new forum launch, that no one uses cuz the rules are made up by some 75 year old lady who thinks we are all 5

The adults that can't help but act like kids?
  • The rules are Broadsword's rules, they are not one person's alone doing their own thing, please remember that. Let's steer away from that tone of things.

It's not like a new forum gets 10k posts a day 1, when PC opened it was just the same. People wait and see what happens, that was expected.

DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • edited April 2018 PM
    Hopz wrote: »
    I've also seen some attempts to use this board like a ~ticket system[1], where the thread was "closed" after it was "resolved" (which is an anti-pattern for forums, as that mindset can hinder conversation).

Do you mean the question/answer prefix thing? I might turn it off I had a thought on it but never went with it.
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Thank you for the forum.
  • I prefer this forum that is more civilised and constructive discussions. It's not like when you start posting on postcount.net there is always one person side tracking the discussion or just flaming/trolling.

This board needed to happen and it's perfect. It may need improvements along the way but I'm sure broadsword got plans to do that.

• Hopz wrote: »
    To be clear, I know we have https://forum.darkageofcamelot.com/code-of-conduct -- I'm more saying that the punishment for specific things should be clearly stated (and not left up to subjective factors).

Must resist want to reply so badly, but dun want to offend anyone/anything/person/place/thing
  • Huehuaehue wrote: »

Limiting the collective content of DAOC is a huge mistake on "their" part. There are so few left loyal these days, banking on the free to play model for #DAOC long term growth what 17 years into this game is a really really bad business decision, but hey GL
  • Personally, it all works for me.
  • I would agree with some points @hopz

- I would like to see some features on the forum (mentions, more than 24h login etc)
    - I would create a trade forum
    - I would try to fullfill the forum with the tools that exist for DAoC (but maybe WE can do it on the Ressource Guide forum)

But i don't agree with you on some points

It's clear for me that if you go too far in here you can be actionned ingame, it's clearly written in the coc
    It's better than an unofficial forum (and i say that but i was glad when Carol came to our french board) because there will be less trash talk, more attractive topics to discuss

• Addition : I love the Calendar system =) I would love to see some colour in it
  • edited April 2018 PM
    [removed]
  • edited April 2018 PM
    [removed]
  • Again if you don't like these boards and you can't be constructive and want to bring negativity and toxic conversations to these boards then my suggestion is to go to Postcount.net. I mean honestly I don't understand why players are getting upset? You got an option, if you feel you are going to be toxic then do it on postcount.net. If u want to be constructive come here and voice it.

Simple!

• edited April 2018 PM
    Huehuaehue wrote: »
    [removed]

Who else will do it ? You?

I mean honestly this is at 17 year old game and I think Carol/Bieb is doing a wonderful job for where the game is at the moment. Again be constructive and you'll get your feedback heard. At the moment telling a Community leader they are useless is the reason you don't get heard.
  • edited April 2018 PM
    [removed]
  • but I'm sorry if I cant help but keep it real and no one else wants to

I didn't mean any disrespect I just love daoc and its hard to see how things are going /shrugs
  • I'm torn on the two forums. On one side, as a new player returning I thought it was super odd that a game like DAoC had to use another forum as their official forum. So having this here now is great. I also like that only members of the game can comment. Yes, I understand why many don't like this, but I was personally getting tired of most of the posts on PC being made by people who quit long ago or no longer played and all they wanted to do was complain. Minta was one of those. Now if Minta wants to come here and make a stupid post he will have to make an account on the game.

On the flip side, this forum doesn't offer the same utility that PC offered. I believe there should be a trade forum just like on PC that has feedback on it so people can start to develop feedback here on these forums. That is really my only issue with this forum over the other.
  • I just "love" how this forum removes anything that isn't the "DAoC vision" aka no telling it like it is because it will get edited/moderated or whatever... Also no liking other people's posts is really annoying (if you aren't going to listen to my negative bull* at least take this seriously). There is a lot of negative feedback of these forums that I really, REALLY enjoy reading and want to "like" so people know that I understand their oppression.

I feel like we are in a real life Portal game and Carol is GLaDOS and we are just the pawns and if we don't perform right we get corrected until we are mindless zombies only saying things that are good about this game
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    I just "love" how this forum removes anything that isn't the "DAoC vision" aka no telling it like it is because it will get edited/moderated or whatever... Also no liking other people's posts is really annoying (if you aren't going to listen to my negative bull* at least take this seriously). There is a lot of negative feedback of these forums that I really, REALLY enjoy reading and want to "like" so people know that I understand their oppression.

I feel like we are in a real life Portal game and Carol is GLaDOS and we are just the pawns and if we don't perform right we get corrected until we are mindless zombies only saying things that are good about this game

Edit: P.S. if this gets edited I still win because I know Carol has personally read this and that's all that matters
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    [

Limiting the collective content of DAOC is a huge mistake on "their" part. There are so few left loyal these days, banking on the free to play model for #DAOC long term growth what 17 years into this game is a really really bad business decision, but hey GL

Kinda? They can still read the posts and send feedback directly to Broadsword via the feedback form on the DAoC website.
    Armagedden wrote: »
    I just "love" how this forum removes anything that isn't the "DAoC vision" aka no telling it like it is because it will get edited/moderated or whatever... Also no liking other people's posts is really annoying (if you aren't going to listen to my negative bull* at least take this seriously). There is a lot of negative feedback of these forums that I really, REALLY enjoy reading and want to "like" so people know that I understand their oppression.

That's never been the issue. Some of the stuff I've read here (before it was modded) was out of line per the COC, NOT because of the issue they had with the game. If you can't present yourself as an adult and give constructive criticism without resorting to immaturity, you need to take a step back and look at yourself.
  • Ciddire wrote: »
    If you can't present yourself as an adult and give constructive criticism without resorting to immaturity, you need to take a step back and look at yourself.

Couple of different ways of looking at it.

You have mentioned one way which is how it is to be done per those who have their logo at the top.

Roger that.

But, just for grins, consider another way.

Time and again, it has been shown that BS will do what BS wants to do, at which point, the constructive criticism is reserved for the consequences.

Because of this, when I post, I'm usually frustrated.

My game related criticisms are always reserved for the service, not the player(s).

One could argue these critiques of mine might have bordered on immature but they are no less valid.

I also believe they were way more entertaining.

I play the adult all day at work and when I get home and want to whine about a video game, I want to do it in a less than straightforward way that gets my point across.

It's a game.

Btw,

I have stepped back and looked at myself and I see that my boy gets his good looks from his mom because I still have mine.

• People went through the same pearl-clutching when the second printing press was built.
  • Oh Falafelbill, lol.

Thanks all for your feedback...Hopz, will be in touch but may be a few days.

DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Thanks @Carol_Broadsword -- can you lock this thread so it doesn't get too flamey? I just wanted to propose something to get people / you all to think about!
  • Locked at @Hopz request.
    Just as a remembrance please guys, keep in mind to stay correct to each other.
    Daoc Moderator
    Modérateur forums / Français

Rejoignez le serveur Discord officiel: >> HERE <<
    Souscrivez à la newsletter >> HERE <<
    Chan officiel pour twitch: >> HERE <<

N'hésitez pas à me contacter en cas de problème.
    If you have any issue, just send a message.
This discussion has been closed.