Classic server

Hi everyone,

I saw a post awhile back about the possibility of adding a classic rule set server. I've been trying to find some info online about it and haven't seen anything recently. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction?

Comments

• https://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/friday-grab-bag-02152019

This Grab Bag contains most recent news regarding another server. Maybe we'll get an update this Friday as we're due for an end of the year Grab Bag.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

• Afterward, our alternate server proposal will then be our major developmental focus. Our original proposal of a subscription-only ‘Classic + Shrouded Isles + Housing’ server that advances (vote-based) through DAoC’s subsequent content is still the plan. We’ll be sharing the details of that server’s ruleset, like which Frontier it will use and what other changes will be involved with it, as we get through 1.127! Depending on how this alternate server goes, we will be launching subsequent versions (perhaps with some fun variations) with a more forced progression.

With that said, Ywain will continue to be the primary long-term focus as we view it as THE game. With Endless Conquest and the ability to play for free we’ve seen a great number of returning and new players out exploring our beloved world and more importantly, endlessly battling each other in the Frontier and battlegrounds!

While alternate servers may seem like a shift away from Ywain in the short term, in the long term they will be another boon to the game as a whole and to Ywain. New and returning players alike will have a chance to start fresh on the new servers, learn or re-learn the game, gain realm rank and eventually transfer over to Ywain with their established characters, which will continue to grow Ywain’s population over time.

• I really hope the progression server doesn't use OF :(
  • Novoal7 wrote: »
    I really hope the progression server doesn't use OF :(

Why? It wouldn't be 'classic' otherwise. Just a rehash of the failed Gareth server which, as one of the first 50s there and played til the end..... isn't as 'classic' as we all hoped.

Open a classic server with OF and OF keeps and allow NF as the alpha RVR area to appease those who still want to do that.

• Or they just make a vote about OF/NF
  • @Kroko you'll get a 50/50 split
  • People who want OF never want it for long after getting it. Sounds great until you realize how garbage it is lol.
    Impounded - Warrior__________Gimpound - Champion
    Chantsy - Paladin____________Shaquilleoatmeal - Berserker
    Cowtastrophe - Hero__________Shrimpsticks - Infiltrator

Feel free to add me on Discord: Impounded#5743

>Daoc Videos<
  • Impounded wrote: »
    People who want OF never want it for long after getting it. Sounds great until you realize how garbage it is

This not really fun to camp the PK's / milegates and run super far without any speed...

• Impounded wrote: »
    People who want OF never want it for long after getting it. Sounds great until you realize how garbage it is lol.

Gareth also told us how pointless a server with NF would be though. What would the new server be if it was NF? a carbon copy, no more no less.

I'd prefer if it had both OF and NF so that it can please everyone.... but at the end of the day a 'classic' server should be that in every sense. My opinion of course.
  • OF is garbage and NF is too big, the solution is somewhere in the middle
  • Shoke wrote: »
    OF is garbage and NF is too big, the solution is somewhere in the middle

I was thinking about this too. Maybe add teleport options to one of the middle keeps if to the two closest to the Border keeps are held, to remove the need for the long run.

Remove the mile gate's and / or replace them with something like a tower (MG's were fun for stealther's so i'd keep something there)

The LOS issues were fixed and i'm sure it wouldn't take much to bring that to OF keeps.... but if it's THAT big an issue they could replace keeps with the NF style towers or even level 5-7 keeps in the NF. Personally i'd rather have the old keeps but if it was a deal breaker then I'd be more than satisfied with a compromise.

Regardless of that, I 100% agree that NF is too big. For the current game it really isn't that fun and the only current drawback to me as a returning EC player.

• OF is nostalgic but inferior to NF. However, everyone is correct that NF is too big, even with a new server population spike. Could probably condense it down to Emain, Hadrian's, Odin's, and Agramon for consistent action. Maybe include Breifine, Penn., and Jamt. mountain zones.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • Honestly it's not too big NF. If it was smaller people would be bitchin about it's too easy for the zerg to arrive when taking a keep. And that's why there's this thing called a horse and boats and speed gems. Also it gives time for all the cool down campers to reset on their way to next fight. Jesus people quit complaining, log in and just kill shi..
  • Honestly it's not too big NF. If it was smaller people would be bitchin about it's too easy for the zerg to arrive when taking a keep. And that's why there's this thing called a horse and boats and speed gems. Also it gives time for all the cool down campers to reset on their way to next fight. Jesus people quit complaining, log in and just kill shi..

:)

I'm glad you enjoy spending 10-15 minutes roaming the wind before seeing another player. I do not.
  • Just an fyi.....they have stated numerous times that coding keeps them from being able to condense NF maps.
  • It depends on population of new server whether its too big or not.
  • Novoal7 wrote: »
    I really hope the progression server doesn't use OF :(

same
    aka torbmain94
  • Wait, was Gareth a failure? I can't remember specifics but I feel they got multiple years out of it before Ywain.

New one just needs to last 6mo.
  • too many vanmps lol
  • Vamps on the classic cluster what a time it was to be alive and “fully buffed”
  • Questions on a new server:

Would there be patch progression like we saw over 15 years? please say no, I just don't think I could handle that. Current class abilities/spells/spec points, please!

Would there be any caps to a realm at launch to help ensure that action remained good and that each realm was well represented?

Would people be able to play all 3 realms on an account?

Would there be a maximum number of toons you could create (guessing 10). what about over the first 24 hours, 3 toons max? There are lots of name bots out there.
  • edited January 2020 PM
    Dont think these questions are decided yet.
    You want classic server with current abilities!?
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • It's not a classic server. Afaik, Broadsword has only used the term "classic" to refer to the base game.
  • I've been there 3000 years ago, and I can tell you: most of the idea of Classic being better and more fun is just in your head. Classic was actually really bad compared to modern DAoC, it is just that people were different those days, and that made it feel better despite all the broken mechanics.
  • The PVE was awesome. Always trying to get better items or gold and never catching up to the experts out there in the Frontier. Celestius was all the RVR I needed. Plenty of action, too. Summoners, Legion...good fun.
    /random 1000 ftw :)
  • Hello everyone out there :)

I'm a returning player with EC.

I leave this game 1 year after ToA release … ToA had killed this game imho.

I would love a REAL Classic server and for real i mean:

- no new classes like vamps, heretics and so on
    - no NF (too big for low pop servers)
    - no ToA / Cata ad so on

AND you'll get

- many ppl grouping for exp
    - great fights in DF involving also low ppl and 50's
    - balanced RvR in front
    - great PVE Raids (Legion, Summoners and so on …)

When DAOC was callis + SI was a real crack and i still know many old players that take weapons again if daoc returns to real classic shape.

just my 2 cents ;)
  • I just want to play toa/nf...with decent QOL.
  • I'm in favour of a classic server, but would need to have several QOL upgrades versus the OLD grind of Pre TOA.

I didn't mind the grind for level 50 (12 hour on-line waits for Fin's grps anyone) when the game was at its infancy, but with the future of the game naturally declining due to it's age, I cannot justify spending all those hours raising one character therefore would expect a faster XP rate.

My view as follows.
    • Classic Server for 6 months - Pre ToA levelling areas, sense of community and grouping.
    • Provided with King's Gear* to RVR in, so everyone is on level playing field and no grinding for templates
    • Each player restricted to one realm as the old days.
    • Smaller version of NF with solo zones that have similar DD enchantments around them attacking anyone grouped similar to entrance at POC to prevent the zergs smashing solos.
    • Max RR cap with enhanced RP's to allow characters to get ready for Ywain.
    • RP system providing items for character / rewards for attaining realm ranks - i.e Bountrycraft Recipe's dropping for xxxx RP's etc or every 1 Full Realm level. 2L0,3L0,4L0 etc.
    • No buff's / buff pots / new classes (Vamps I'm looking at you, even though I am a vamp)
    • When migrated to ywain, this way characters will have enough RA points to compete, and recipes to upgrade into new templates quickly so that new players will not feel completely lost and can compete at the current level required for gear with their hard work and grind rewarded in the classic server without having to start a further grind.

• Revampe wrote: »
    I'm in favour of a classic server, but would need to have several QOL upgrades versus the OLD grind of Pre TOA.

I didn't mind the grind for level 50 (12 hour on-line waits for Fin's grps anyone) when the game was at its infancy, but with the future of the game naturally declining due to it's age, I cannot justify spending all those hours raising one character therefore would expect a faster XP rate.

My view as follows.
    • Classic Server for 6 months - Pre ToA levelling areas, sense of community and grouping.
    • Provided with King's Gear* to RVR in, so everyone is on level playing field and no grinding for templates
    • Each player restricted to one realm as the old days.
    • Smaller version of NF with solo zones that have similar DD enchantments around them attacking anyone grouped similar to entrance at POC to prevent the zergs smashing solos.
    • Max RR cap with enhanced RP's to allow characters to get ready for Ywain.
    • RP system providing items for character / rewards for attaining realm ranks - i.e Bountrycraft Recipe's dropping for xxxx RP's etc or every 1 Full Realm level. 2L0,3L0,4L0 etc.
    • No buff's / buff pots / new classes (Vamps I'm looking at you, even though I am a vamp)
    • When migrated to ywain, this way characters will have enough RA points to compete, and recipes to upgrade into new templates quickly so that new players will not feel completely lost and can compete at the current level required for gear with their hard work and grind rewarded in the classic server without having to start a further grind.

OK i agree 100% on this.

i remember entire nights waiting for a spot in CF with my levelling Champ :s

I intended a server Classic + SI but with more faster levelling for characters from level 20 +.

The first levels 1-20 can be grinding for sense of community and grouping (anyway this take 15/25 hours of play, depending on skill and grps)

The rest would be perfect Revampe B)
  • What is bad about ToA?
  • Too many things to write …. Imho
  • edited January 2020 PM
    ToA was an amazing concept, and I dare say fairly ground-breaking, but the issue was there was simply too much to do, and it transformed the game away from the casuals.

Examples
      [
    • Requiring a huge battlegroup to do an encounter with only 1 artifact dropping. I remember GOV was /roll 100 for like 80-120 people sometimes.
    • requiring others to help you to get certain items to complete.
    • waiting on the respawn for artifact encounters for sometimes hours even days
    • Artifacts unbalancing standard templates, only people with time/money could end up getting them and then would have an instant huge edge in PVP
    • ML's requiring huge parties to complete, and the natural (/stick /afk) that comes with them, also the amount of time it could take to run through them.

Like I said, it was mega and very well made, but I just don't think they anticipated how much of a grind it would be and how much it would put off casuals who simply don't have the time to dedicate to unlocking their charecters full potential through artis and ML's etc.
    Post edited by Revampe on
  • Gildar wrote: »
    Too many things to write …. Imho

Lol :)
    Revampe wrote: »
    Examples
      [
    • Requiring a huge battlegroup to do an encounter with only 1 artifact dropping. I remember GOV was /roll 100 for like 80-120 people sometimes.
    • requiring others to help you to get certain items to complete.
    • waiting on the respawn for artifact encounters for sometimes hours even days
    • Artifacts unbalancing standard templates, only people with time/money could end up getting them and then would have an instant huge edge in PVP
    • ML's requiring huge parties to complete, and the natural (/stick /afk) that comes with them, also the amount of time it could take to run through them.

I agree that it was very much (too much) when it came out.
    But now you dont have to do any of this anymore, so i dont understand the problem.
  • Kroko wrote: »
    I agree that it was very much (too much) when it came out.
    But now you dont have to do any of this anymore, so i dont understand the problem.

Mate, this is the problem … i try to explain

When ToA came out i played a local server (only 1 nation) with around 1500 - 2000 toons online in the prime time … with almost NO BOTS ( only 30-50 max) …. Mid frontier was for 8v8 mostly … Hib and Alb was free hint for soloers - 8vs zerg and zerg vs zerg.

Mostly of that players was casual … ToA killed them all … in few monst my server died with no more than 200 ppl logging … in the meantime WoW came out and lot of ppl hit that new game …

Now also for me (returning player with EC) make decent (a minimum fnuny) RvR against 12L ML and artis full its almost impossible … and anyway there are too much bars - qbars - qbind and so on to governate to play a relaxed game.

With a Classic + SI the game is simply and direct … also for a casual some week of exp and gain Kings armour and go to RvR … the funniest parte of the game … Imho

obviously … just my 2 cents o:)

• Not everyone is 12L.

So basically you want it more simple...ok understand.
  • Agree with XP. People would be willing to level up if they can do it in a few days-week of 4-8 hours/day, but that's probably about it. Obviously with a level 50 PL'ing a second toon would go quicker.

I don't know what current xp is like as far as leveling, but it might be similar to that timeline using just a new toon, with the xp nerf. Weird that the 50% xp MTX pots are only usable by level 45+ (and 25% usable by 35+).

• Gildar wrote: »
    Now also for me (returning player with EC) make decent (a minimum fnuny) RvR against 12L ML and artis full its almost impossible … and anyway there are too much bars - qbars - qbind and so on to governate to play a relaxed game.

I get this but at the same time many of us old timers have alt-itis and generally rvr with a r6-9 toon.
  • Koe wrote: »
    I don't know what current xp is like as far as leveling, but it might be similar to that timeline using just a new toon, with the xp nerf. Weird that the 50% xp MTX pots are only usable by level 45+ (and 25% usable by 35+).

I didnt realize an xp nerf tbh. You can lvl to 50 in less than 10hours played.
    Just do the town quest line until lvl 35, then BG quests. I didnt have the feeling, that there was a nerf.
  • Kroko wrote: »
    Koe wrote: »

I didnt realize an xp nerf tbh. You can lvl to 50 in less than 10hours played.
    Just do the town quest line until lvl 35, then BG quests. I didnt have the feeling, that there was a nerf.

This is true for a veteran account. However, you really feel the XP nerf as an EC player or by PL. I was able to get to 50 in 2 hours with a PL before the patch. Not sure what it is now but I've heard it's at least double that. Regardless, leveling is still not horrible as you can reach 50 in one or two play sessions. The worst part about the XP nerf is leveling up the CL15 cloaks...