Grow some balls and give realm timers a try

Why so scared?

Always roll them back

Comments

• edited September 2019 PM
    Lets put it on a different server tirst. Ohhh. Thats right there isnt one. Why do yiu want to aliemate almost half the population that doesnt want it?
    Post edited by Minibard on
  • Minibard wrote: »
    Lets put it on a different server tirst. Ohhh. Thats right there isnt one. Why do yiu want to aliemate almost half the population that doesnt want it?

YOU can still play just wait 30 mins. Tired of these groups swapping at the drop of a hat. Parox logs onto mid (oh look mids) swaps his guys to Alb starts farming. I think @John_Broadsword knows what the people want regarding realm timers
  • Yup its true Parox group always doing that , they sneak each realm every day
  • They swap to keep action going. When rescue has 5 groups with him they go to mid or hib to fight the zerg. Or switch to hib to kill the Astruatar/rescue zerg later at night. I. Truwly believe it would not be an issue if the zergs could role over them but that 1 group can wipe 2 groups easily . with one other group they wipe larger numbers nightly. So now u want timers
    They swap to keep action going. When rescue has 5 groups with him they go to mid or hib to fight the zerg. Or switch to hib to kill the Astruatar/rescue zerg later at night. I. Truwly believe it would not be an issue if the zergs could role over them but that 1 group can wipe 2 groups easily . with one other group they wipe larger numbers nightly. So now u want timers

Guess it would depend on what happens more, 1 group that switches realms to keep the action going or a bunch of people that switch sides depending on who is winning.

I can see the positive and negative impact in timers but Broadsword has shown they are going to do what they like and defended it until they day they roll it back. Only thing we can do is hold on for the ride and give it a chance.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • That is true, Mini, that it does help combat zergs but it also is used by "8mans" to farm small mans. I see it nightly. I'll be running around AT and see a few other albs there. I then see certified's group run up...look at us... literally sit down and log on on the spot then within a minute or two roll through and kill us all with their hib/mid 8man. It is garbage and IMO against the spirit of the game and sportsmanship.

Maybe we need some sort of dynamic realm timers which makes it a shorter wait to switch to an unpopulated realm but hopping to a populated realm is longer? Either way, it shouldn't be as immediate as it is now.
  • 5 minutes. Minor inconvenience. Gives people time to move so they can't get ganked taking towers when players switch. Won't do anything to keep people from switching to defend keeps but that could be circumvented anyways by having multiple accounts.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • One week timer. Kick rocks!
  • 24 hour timer on all characters that are the same level as the last character you received >1 realm point on that day.

Level 50 Hibernian character gets >1 realm point, the only level 50 characters you can play for 24 hours is Hibernia but you can still login sub level 50 characters on all realms. If you play in a BattleGround on a level 39 and get >1 realm point, you cannot login any other Molvik level characters in any other realm for 24 hours.

If you PVE and help players in all realms like I do, allow them to switch as long as they are not getting realm points. Since it's PVP that is affected by this fast switching, address PVP. There are people who login other realms to level, gear up, and template characters when their normal friends aren't online. Then they want to switch to their PVP characters to run with their friends. Allow them to do so and keep their group continuity.

There are ways to satisfy the need for realm timers with compromise instead of force.
    Variants of Pwntime
    Variants of Hren

Do not accept mediocrity, do not change yourself because the culture changes around you. Be the guiding light that stands up against the immoral and make the culture want to reform around you, be like you. Be a positive example, it's how beneficial changes come about.
  • @pwntime so as long as it doesnt effect you., than its ok. That's what i got from your 2nd paragraph.

If they empliment timers, i hope all you people that cried for it have nothing to fight. oh then the zerg can take an undefended keep.. Then roam the island for hours getting minimal rps because there isnt anyone to fight because they will be stuck on your realm.

Anyways i am done with this. We will just have to wait and see what BS does. Rememeber at one point, they said they would never do timers.
  • @minibard Do you guys have to always be negative? It has nothing to do with 'not affecting me'. I'm trying to offer solutions for both sides of the aisle and keep as many people happy as possible. The immediate switching in PVP is detrimental to the game, there are way more players for timers than against it. But that shouldn't affect people that PVE in my opinion, or maybe it should be across the board.

Offer constructive solutions rather than drab negativity!
    Variants of Pwntime
    Variants of Hren

Do not accept mediocrity, do not change yourself because the culture changes around you. Be the guiding light that stands up against the immoral and make the culture want to reform around you, be like you. Be a positive example, it's how beneficial changes come about.
    Mace80 wrote: »
    That is true, Mini, that it does help combat zergs but it also is used by "8mans" to farm small mans. I see it nightly. I'll be running around AT and see a few other albs there. I then see certified's group run up...look at us... literally sit down and log on on the spot then within a minute or two roll through and kill us all with their hib/mid 8man. It is garbage and IMO against the spirit of the game and sportsmanship.

Certified (and Rhildor) stopped running a steady 8 the minute Xuu and them came back to Ywain. I guess it's in his personality. Maybe it's a coincidence with RL stuff.

I like the idea of being able to swap to a lower pop realm when you figure out that the realm you are on is overpopulated. And the underpop bonus is not always representative of the action. Sometimes Mids will have a big bonus, but if albs are out and taking keeps all you will see in EV are mids. So it's hard to judge on log in. Kind of sucks to get penalized for wanting to switch to balance out action and actually fight something.
    Post edited by Shoke on
    Just because there are timers doesn't mean everyone will only log into one realm. It would make you choose wisely when you did login though. I personally love defending keeps when the zerg is trying to take it. That is a lot of fun and last time I checked, games are for fun and entertainment not frustrating the average players who cant play 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

Do you remember when this game was truly great? I mean really really great? It was when you picked one side, you lived and breathed that side. You did all you could to make that side win. That's all lost with immediate realm hopping. Maybe that will never come back, but THAT is what made this game.
    Post edited by Pwntime on
    Variants of Pwntime
    Variants of Hren

• Realm pride died when named servers did. I was an Alb on Bors, Mid on Morgan Lefay. And a Hib on Kay. Since there aren’t any individual servers, it just isn’t the same when you like to play ALL of the realms.
  • Pwntime wrote: »
    Just because there are timers doesn't mean everyone will only log into one realm. It would make you choose wisely when you did login though. I personally love defending keeps when the zerg is trying to take it. That is a lot of fun and last time I checked, games are for fun and entertainment not frustrating the average players who cant play 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

Do you remember when this game was truly great? I mean really really great? It was when you picked one side, you lived and breathed that side. You did all you could to make that side win. That's all lost with immediate realm hopping. Maybe that will never come back, but THAT is what made this game.

I remember that game was great in 2003 when you had the pop to stick to one realm only. Right now, if you don't choose correctly you roam the wind for the 2 hours you can play. Not everyone likes to hit zergs, it's actually incredibly boring.

Actually it's exactly because people can't play for 8 hours that realm timers aren't that great. I don't see people playing a whole lot except for 3-4 players that manage to play in every prime time...

Game is almost dead, deal with the fact that there are 100 combined players on at prime time and that won't change over time, it will only go down. I really don't get the point of trying to relive a former glory that just won't ever happen.
  • Sadly, I agree with Shoke here. Those of us that still play, and have since the old days, are just blowing air on the remaining embers.

It’s really SAD because it had no advertisement backing.
  • @mace80 when i play, i dont see that. I see people, my group, xuu's group and maybe another switch to fight realms with higher population. Never to run with the winning realm. If that were the case everyone would be on alb because rescue has the largest zerg population, nightly. And hero would have no Resistance if not for the realm swappers.

There are people that have realm loyalty thats great. People want to swap, thats great too. Some zerg , some 8 man, duo and solo. Thats what makes thia gane great. For 18 yrs there hasnt been a better PVP game. How long has ywain been out? 10 yrs? Why add timers now when populatuon is so low that it needs swappers.
  • Perhaps outrageous low pop bonuses would be better. I am referring to things like 100 to 500 % bonus RPs depending on how short manned a realm is. No realm timers but outrageous bonuses might help even things out quicker and everyone could go where they wanted when they wanted? The current bonus structure doesn't seem to be enough.
  • Watch IRC side cart Rescu...they aren’t swapping to find action they login to mid or hib and see who is online then swap onto their Albs regardless.

30 mins is just right IMO won’t ruin your night and it’s only triggered when you earn 1 rp.

Huge bonuses won’t do a thing other then accelerate RR disparity. If anything they need to REMOVE rps from the daily and make it rewards Bps instead...
    30 min might not be muxh for you but whwn u run a set group its a long time. Real life happens and people will not come back. The group then falls apart and we are done for the night

Yrs irc does run with rescue when there is a mid or hib zerg. But when the other zergs end they will switch to fight that zerg
    Post edited by Minibard on
    @mace80 when i play, i dont see that. I see people, my group, xuu's group and maybe another switch to fight realms with higher population. Never to run with the winning realm. If that were the case everyone would be on alb because rescue has the largest zerg population, nightly. And hero would have no Resistance if not for the realm swappers.

There are people that have realm loyalty thats great. People want to swap, thats great too. Some zerg , some 8 man, duo and solo. Thats what makes thia gane great. For 18 yrs there hasnt been a better PVP game. How long has ywain been out? 10 yrs? Why add timers now when populatuon is so low that it needs swappers.

Yea I'm not saying people swap to the OP realm. I'm saying they swap to farm easy pickings. I see a difference. Essentially, I see 8mans use realm swapping to gather intel on where and what is easy to kill. This happens whether zergs are involved or not.
  • it is funny how everyone seems to know what peeps are doing

i still think that a realm pride/loyal bonus would be the best :)
  • I am 100% in favor of rewarding people that like sticking to one realm.

Again, the concern with realm timers is that the population is so low that if one group takes a break one night it completely changes the action and it's hard to predict. This is the kind of population we are talking about folks.
  • Most people are streaming anyways.
  • #1 reason for no timers. It will mess up my streaming.
    Do you remember when this game was truly great? I mean really really great? It was when you picked one side, you lived and breathed that side. You did all you could to make that side win.

Yes, I remember that because that's how I live every day~~!
    FOR THE REALM!
  • As I stated earlier in this post, my realms are gone!! I love all 3, so I pay for 100% usage.
  • Feels like currently most people who relog are doing so to create action. But, pop also seems like it's in a lull since school came back in session and the midsummer event ended (rp bonuses always seem to bring out action). I could see realm timers being a great thing once f2p comes.
  • would like to see siege kill quest for one realm per account---that will stop the hoppers lol
  • Personally if it meant that I lost half my realm to the hoppers, so be it. I think this 15 minute timer is more of a slap in the face to those that really do want it. We watch the realm bonuses as we start our approach on any ck, mids can be 40, hibs can be 70, and before we're done approaching nged, mids will be 70, hibs will be 10, and we'll be down numbers as a whole. Timers should be put in, you want to play all three realms that's fine with me, but 2 hour minimum for a realm timer should be put in. This 15 min that they are talking is nothing but a minor delay for what they do right now.
  • Don’t see the argument that leet groups changing realms creates action explain to me exactly how 1 group of 8 people creates action when the only people they purport to want to fight is another 8 man on agramon in a set fight.
    They certainly aren’t logging on another realm to support the game they are either logging to another realm to kill stuff easier or they see opportunities to gank.
    Or am I missing something here

Didn’t we have a game wide vote on this and didn’t the general population agree that a realm timer was needed
    Are we going to ignore democracy and suggest that the majority don’t know what they are thinking and the clever leet people know better.
    Hmm seems like I’ve heard this before somewhere.
  • @Brut they held a vote through the monthly newsletter 3 months ago but they never posted the results.

The 15 minute for subbed accounts and 4 hours for EC accounts I suppose uses the results from that poll.
  • Shoke wrote: »
    Mace80 wrote: »
    That is true, Mini, that it does help combat zergs but it also is used by "8mans" to farm small mans. I see it nightly. I'll be running around AT and see a few other albs there. I then see certified's group run up...look at us... literally sit down and log on on the spot then within a minute or two roll through and kill us all with their hib/mid 8man. It is garbage and IMO against the spirit of the game and sportsmanship.

Certified (and Rhildor) stopped running a steady 8 the minute Xuu and them came back to Ywain. I guess it's in his personality. Maybe it's a coincidence with RL stuff.

I like the idea of being able to swap to a lower pop realm when you figure out that the realm you are on is overpopulated. And the underpop bonus is not always representative of the action. Sometimes Mids will have a big bonus, but if albs are out and taking keeps all you will see in EV are mids. So it's hard to judge on log in. Kind of sucks to get penalized for wanting to switch to balance out action and actually fight something.

I thought the old website had a snap shot of the keeps/towers and realm balance so you could see what the RVR flow looked like before logging in. They should implement something like this to help with people deciding what realm they want to log in.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
    @minibard Do you guys have to always be negative? It has nothing to do with 'not affecting me'. I'm trying to offer solutions for both sides of the aisle and keep as many people happy as possible. The immediate switching in PVP is detrimental to the game, there are way more players for timers than against it. But that shouldn't affect people that PVE in my opinion, or maybe it should be across the board.

Offer constructive solutions rather than drab negativity!

Minibard is correct. You would gladly take away the opportunity for certain players to experience all 3 realms without hindrance and yet demand that the same privileges be kept for yourself. It's really selfish to be honest, we all pay the same to play DAoC.