Friday Grab Bag - 02/15/2019

Time for another edition of the Grab Bag!

This Grab Bag we've taken some of the hot topics discussed many times on our official forums as our "questions" for this week. While we still have much, much more to say on these topics, we felt, just as much as you asked, that some info was needed right now. For those who sent in specific Grab Bag questions, don't worry we'll return to those soon :)

You can send in any game related questions you have for our DAoC Devs through our Grab Bag submission form. Please note this is for game mechanic questions. Feedback/ideas/suggestions should be sent in through our feedback form.Read on for the updates disguised as questions!

Can you give us any information on Endless Conquest’s current progress and what you’re looking at restriction wise?
Endless Conquest development is currently underway and will take the bulk of 2019 to complete.

Our Endless Conquest FAQ has been updated and show’s our current plan:

What can Endless Conquest accounts do and not do?

Please note that some of these may change prior to launch:
  • Can play for free on the Ywain server.
  • Can obtain max realm rank.
  • Can earn Master Levels and Master Level Abilities.
  • Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.
  • Can fully participate in PvE encounters or quests and earn endgame loot but cannot earn existing alternate currencies.
  • Can obtain level 50 but cannot use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
    • The rate of character progression will also be limited.
  • Will have "classic" buffing rules.
    • EC-characters must stay in range and be grouped with any other character that they buff or are buffed by for the buffs to work.
    • Cannot use existing buff potions.
  • Can play on any pre-existing character of any class as long as the account was previously subscribed.
    • Newly created characters are limited to the following classes:
      • Albion:
      • Cleric
      • Friar
      • Paladin
      • Sorcerer
      • Mercenary
    • Midgard:
      • Shaman
      • Healer
      • Valkyrie
      • Runemaster
      • Berserker
    • Hibernia:
      • Druid
      • Warden
      • Bard
      • Mentalist
      • Blademaster
  • Cannot own or be given permission to access a house or guild house.
  • Cannot create a guild or be promoted to guild master.
  • Will have access to all tradeskills except Siegecrafting and Bountycrafting.
  • Will have access to all three realms on a single account.
  • One EC-account logged-in per person.
  • Will not receive veteran-based account rewards.

As you can see, EC accounts will be full-participants in PvE, the game’s economy, and in RvR but will be limited in ways that maintain the integrity of the game and still provide excellent benefits and value to our loyal subscribers!

An official bug/issue tracker is really beyond needed. Would really help with transparency/reporting and knowing bugs are getting attention.
We agree! We already have one in the works and hope to release it in the coming weeks.

Is there anyway possible that you can fix it that our house merchants and toons will hold more than 200 plat ? It is so annoying to have our gold spread out among toons we don't play often. Also full merchants are filling up the CM’s and make it so hard to find one you can buy from!
The full-merchant issue is one we’ve discussed previously and do have plans to address it in conjunction with the planned Housing update (post-Endless Conquest).

The 200 platinum cap on characters is a much trickier issue. Not only does it affect the game’s economy in drastic ways, there are also significant technical barriers to changing it (which we’ve discussed previously). That said, it is something we’re investigating changing as in general we would like to increase the cap in conjunction with offering game-time-code sales for platinum. We’ll have more news once that investigation is complete!

Is there any update on what’s going on with the Jord crash?
This has been a VERY tricky bug to track down. Until we can pinpoint exactly what is causing the crash for some players (it does not happen to all players all the time) it’s going to remain an issue. While some of our fixes have alleviated the issue for certain players, it is still happening quite frequently for others.

If you are still experiencing the crash frequently, please visit this form and send us your information!

Can we get some updates on Broadsword’s vision for DAoC in 2019 and beyond? What’s on the roadmap?
There will be a Producer’s letter coming soon that will outline this in greater detail but we are happy to share a short outline with you all, now!

Endless Conquest development will dominate the bulk of our time and resources for 2019. It’s a major, major upgrade that we have to get 100% correct. However, there are some features that are part of Endless Conquest that we plan to release as they are ready, instead of holding them for the major launch. With that context out of the way, here’s our 2019 roadmap and beyond:
  • Endless Conquest preliminary launch features (launched as completed):
    • Realm vs Realm population-balancing feature
      • Group-finding and forming improvements as part of this.
    • User Interface improvements including UI-scaling
    • Overall progression and economy changes
    • Web-based community tools such as item search, spellcraft calculator, realm war status, leaderboards, etc.
  • Content updates throughout the year
    • Ongoing bug fixes and class changes
    • New and recurring events
    • Potentially expanding out the Dynamic Keep Siege objectives to other battlegrounds and the Frontiers.
    • Monthly Mithril Store updates
  • The new website launched and tied in with the already-released community-based tools.
  • The launch of Endless Conquest itself
Post-Endless Conquest:
  • Catacombs expansion revamp
    • This involves re-launching the Catacombs zones and content as entirely end-game focused.
    • Small-group-based PvE encounters and instances with a focus on obtaining unique armor and weapon skins that share existing item stats/abilities.
    • A major surprise. *wink*
    • More details to come!
  • Housing update
    • Existing housing art revamped!
    • New housing types and new art!
    • Update to many of the housing system features
  • Alternate “progression” server(s)
    • Subscription-only access
    • Will have potentially varying alternative rulesets
      • First server will start out as a “Classic” + Shrouded Isles + Housing ruleset
      • Will remain in its launch-state for as long as its playerbase wishes (vote-based) and then will advance through the major updates of Dark Age of Camelot’s history until catching up with Ywain’s state, at which point players will be able to transfer to Ywain.
      • Depending on the success of this server, there may be others added with similar rules but forced advancement/progression, etc.
    • Full details are currently being discussed and we’ll have more information after the launch of Endless Conquest!

As you can see, we have a lot of exciting developments coming this year and beyond and we look forward to hearing from you to make them the best they can be!

Lots to talk about there, very exciting! Don't forget to head over to our official forums and join the chat :)
That's it for this week, enjoy the weekend!

Click here to visit the DAoC Herald!
DAoC Community Lead
Broadsword Online Games
Tagged:

Comments

• Endless Conquest basically means that all of us that have been subscribers will have most everything taken away when it goes live? even with the alternate progression servers we will still lose everything that came after SI and Housing?
    Or am I missing something?
    Will the old game stay the same as before on the Ywain servers?
  • Alteherr wrote: »
    Endless Conquest basically means that all of us that have been subscribers will have most everything taken away when it goes live? even with the alternate progression servers we will still lose everything that came after SI and Housing?
    Endless Conquest is on the Ywain server which is completely separate from any alternate-ruleset server(s). Nothing is being taken away? from subscribers on Ywain.
    Endless Conquest basically means that all of us that have been subscribers will have most everything taken away when it goes live? even with the alternate progression servers we will still lose everything that came after SI and Housing?

Endless Conquest is a free to play model for new or returning players. It will not change anything for current subscribers.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Leave the dynamic keep siege stuff out of the NF it’s so bad...
    I’m sorry but it really has zero place in the future of DAOC. Molvik isn’t big boy RVR and if anything leave it in the battle grounds only.
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Leave the dynamic keep siege stuff out of the NF it’s so bad...
    I’m sorry but it really has zero place in the future of DAOC. Molvik isn’t big boy RVR and if anything leave it in the battle grounds only.
    Interesting feedback. Most of the feedback we've received on it in Molvik has been really positive. Secondly, an extension of it to NF wouldn't be a full-scale integration with every keep but only select, key keeps. Third, the things the dynamic objectives do would be completely different in NF.

The underlying principle of separate, powerful objectives that help crack-impossible keep defenses and/or split up or bypass attacking/blockading battlegroups would be what remains the same in an NF implementation.

• [*] Alternate “progression” server(s)
    • Subscription-only access
    • Will have potentially varying alternative rulesets
      • First server will start out as a “Classic” + Shrouded Isles + Housing ruleset
      • Will remain in its launch-state for as long as its playerbase wishes (vote-based) and then will advance through the major updates of Dark Age of Camelot’s history until catching up with Ywain’s state, at which point players will be able to transfer to Ywain.
      • Depending on the success of this server, there may be others added with similar rules but forced advancement/progression, etc.
    • Full details are currently being discussed and we’ll have more information after the launch of Endless Conquest!

This could be a HUGE game changer. I still say the #1 reason some people have tried "other" places is because of the idea of an even playing field. With this people can come and get that experience on a seasonal basis and if they really love their character they can continue on playing it on Ywain. I really honestly think that IF the F2P model and this are done right you will see a HUGE amount of people coming back. The problem is going to be doing it right and getting it done in a moderate amount of time.

• edited February 2019 PM
    Fateboi wrote: »
    Leave the dynamic keep siege stuff out of the NF it’s so bad...
    Interesting feedback. Most of the feedback we've received on it in Molvik has been really positive. Secondly, an extension of it to NF wouldn't be a full-scale integration with every keep but only select, key keeps. Third, the things the dynamic objectives do would be completely different in NF.

The underlying principle of separate, powerful objectives that help crack-impossible keep defenses and/or split up or bypass attacking/blockading battlegroups would be what remains the same in an NF implementation.

Keep siege in DAOC is a very fickle balance, you are talking about a very very major change to the status quo of Siege. Remember I was there on pendragon testing it all what 10 of us...

DAOC needs very very small changes, not reinventing the wheel yet again. People want the daoc they grew up on, by dynamically changing siege you will again make Live a different version of what everyone remembers.

GL
    Post edited by Fateboi on
    Keep siege in DAOC is a very fickle balance, you are talking about a very very major change to the status quo of Siege. Remember I was there on pendragon testing it all what 10 of us...

DAOC needs very very small changes, not reinventing the wheel yet again. People want the daoc they grew up on, by dynamically changing siege you will again make Live a different version of what everyone remembers.

GL
    I agree, keep siege in DAOC is a fickle balance, which is why mechanics like this were asked for and seem to be appreciated by most players so far (using Molvik as a guide). Perfectly balanced, epic keep battles are extremely rare but when they happen they are amazing. The dynamic objectives actually make those sort of battles more likely. Again based on Molvik, where we're seeing keeps go under attack while they are actively defended much more often than before. Adding a dynamic system to 1 keep in each realm as a test-case in NF (can even be as an event) doesn't seem like a "dangerous" change at all, considering those factors.

Sometimes different is better than what people are used to, and sometimes it's not, which is why we think it's best to try them out in this way and then it's easy to turn it off if it doesn't work. Thank you for your feedback on them :).
  • "Will remain in its launch-state for as long as its playerbase wishes (vote-based) and then will advance through the major updates of Dark Age of Camelot’s history until catching up with Ywain’s state, at which point players will be able to transfer to Ywain."

So you will be able to play and level on the new server then transfer to Ywain. That sounds like a really good idea.

I wasn't even remotely interested in playing on another server (mainly because of all the LGM crafters I won't have with me, and refuse to level again), but because you will be able to bring them over eventually, I might change my mind.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    Endless Conquest is on the Ywain server which is completely separate from any alternate-ruleset server(s). Nothing is being taken away? from subscribers on Ywain.

Not getting it if Endlless Conquest is on the Ywain server which is completely separate from any alternate rule set how is nothing being taken away from subscribers on Ywain ?
    Alteherr wrote: »

Not getting it if Endlless Conquest is on the Ywain server which is completely separate from any alternate rule set how is nothing being taken away from subscribers on Ywain ?
    Because subscribers on Ywain will have no restrictions (they'll likely be getting some extra boosts too!). Only free (Endless Conquest) accounts have the EC-based limitations applied.
  • Below is my initial feedback with regard to the current Endless Conquest (EC) model. Glad to see progress is being made. There are a few things that I think can be improved as detailed below. More updates like this are welcomed.

Can play for free on the Ywain server.
    - I think this should be extended to any progression type server that may be implemented down the road. The current subscriber population is decreasing and I doubt that EC will lead to an increase in subscribers that can support a sub-only server. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Can obtain max realm rank.
    - Excellent news assuming RP earnings will be throttled for EC players.

Can earn Master Levels and Master Level Abilities. Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.
    - EC players earning MLs is definitely okay with me. I do not understand why they should not be allowed to earn CLs. Some justification regarding this particular decision is warranted, imo.

Can fully participate in PvE encounters or quests and earn endgame loot but cannot earn existing alternate currencies.
    - I am glad to see EC players will be able to partake in all PvE related content. I assume the alternate currencies you are referring to are Blood Seals, Atlantean Glass, Aurulite, and Dragon Scales. Does this also mean EC players cannot be traded alternate currencies from subscription players to use?

Can obtain level 50 but cannot use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
    - I think the /rp off and /xp off commands should be included. Otherwise, you are forcing EC players into NF, some of which may want to remain in the Battlegrounds. This may discourage potential new and returning players.

The rate of character progression will also be limited.
    - This makes sense in terms of XP, RP, and ?BP? earnings. Do you have a rough estimate on how throttled these earnings will be with respect to subscription players?

Will have "classic" buffing rules.
    EC-characters must stay in range and be grouped with any other character that they buff or are buffed by for the buffs to work.
    Cannot use existing buff potions.

- I am a bit torn about this. I agree that buffs provided by EC players should be range limited to prevent free buff bot accounts from being made; however, I do not agree that EC players buffed by subscription players should be range limited. Furthermore, not allowing EC players to use buff potions will put them at a severe disadvantage in solo play against subscription players. I think this will unintentionally result in a pay-to-win feeling that will discourage EC players from soloing and therefore decrease the potential number of new or returning players.

Can play on any pre-existing character of any class as long as the account was previously subscribed.
    - Fantastic news. Will there be restrictions on the number of new characters that can be created for new or returning players?

Newly created characters are limited to the following classes:
    - Are there any plans to expand this list via the MTX store? Will there be any race limitations? Will name and race/gender respecs be available via the MTX store for EC players?

Cannot own or be given permission to access a house or guild house.
    - This makes sense to me. Will EC players be able to use the Market Explorer and purchase from Consignment Merchants? Will there be any options for purchasing extra /bank space via the MTX store for EC and subscription players?

Cannot create a guild or be promoted to guild master.
    - I also agree with this restriction. Will EC characters be automatically enlisted in the Starter Guilds like subscription players? Are there any plans to have guild buffs active in Starter Guilds?

Will have access to all tradeskills except Siegecrafting and Bountycrafting.
    - I think this should be reversed. Primary tradeskills (i.e. Alchemy, Spellcrafting, Armorcrafting, etc.) should be limited to subscription based players. However, siegecraft and bountycraft should be made available to EC players. Siegecraft is a vital component to RvR and Bountycraft will provide these players an alternate approach to obtaining equipment, albeit slow.

Will have access to all three realms on a single account.
    - I think this is fine so long as a Realm Timer is imposed on EC players.

One EC-account logged-in per person.
    - I assume this is analogous to how accounts work currently: only one account may be logged-in at a time.

Will not receive veteran-based account rewards.
    - Which rewards are you referring to specifically?
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • Thank you so much for this update. We needed it.

I think the F2P model will help our serious population issues. And I like the tone here - we may not get it right off the start but will tweak it as required.

GL
    I agree, keep siege in DAOC is a fickle balance, which is why mechanics like this were asked for and seem to be appreciated by most players so far (using Molvik as a guide). Perfectly balanced, epic keep battles are extremely rare but when they happen they are amazing. The dynamic objectives actually make those sort of battles more likely. Again based on Molvik, where we're seeing keeps go under attack while they are actively defended much more often than before. Adding a dynamic system to 1 keep in each realm as a test-case in NF (can even be as an event) doesn't seem like a "dangerous" change at all, considering those factors.

Sometimes different is better than what people are used to, and sometimes it's not, which is why we think it's best to try them out in this way and then it's easy to turn it off if it doesn't work. Thank you for your feedback on them :).

I appreciate the idea of small changes. Big sweeping changes are tough to achieve in a game of this age and stature. Much easier to increase than it is to pull back and "nerf" something. +1 on that.
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    "Will remain in its launch-state for as long as its playerbase wishes (vote-based) and then will advance through the major updates of Dark Age of Camelot’s history until catching up with Ywain’s state, at which point players will be able to transfer to Ywain."

So you will be able to play and level on the new server then transfer to Ywain. That sounds like a really good idea.

I wasn't even remotely interested in playing on another server (mainly because of all the LGM crafters I won't have with me, and refuse to level again), but because you will be able to bring them over eventually, I might change my mind.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.

After re-reading that I would actually hope for a more "seasonal" thing. A server that would run for a set amount of time. At the end of it, it would just dump your toons into Ywain. Then another season would start and everyone could start over again on that (keeping things on a semi-even footing) and still keeping Ywain with some action. If people can just stay in the alternate rule set server you will just end up with a dead Ywain more than likely.
    There will always be a base Ywain. I feel that seasonal or ladder play is in line with what Diablo 3/Path of exile capitalizes on to stay fresh.
    There are A lot of opportunities for Mtx and limited edition items that coincide with the ladder or season. In the end it dumps you back into Ywain so that it doesn’t effect “Live”
    Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.

You realize that ALOT of templates uses gear that need CL15?
    Even pieces of Kingsgear need some Level in CL to be fully utilized.
    Post edited by Tubben on
  • Tubben wrote: »

If your template uses Kings gear, your template sucks. QQ

• DaRedANT wrote: »
    Tubben wrote: »

King's gear is suppose to be a starting point for new 50s. Removal of CL levels prevents new players from starting with even the most basic equipment. Not to mention the lack of Mythirians and CL weapons.
  • Big thanks to @John_Broadsword and the rest of BS for this update. I think this is a great start the kinda info and transparency ppl were asking for, keep it coming!

As for feedback I generally agree with pretty much everything @Beetleguisse outlined other than I like the idea of the ranged buffs for/from EC players.

King's gear is suppose to be a starting point for new 50s. Removal of CL levels prevents new players from starting with even the most basic equipment. Not to mention the lack of Mythirians and CL weapons.

Oh so you want free accounts and free gear, gotcha.

I love the new changes but I think we should let them earn CL's through XP only, not scrolls. With the BIG health bump CL's give you I don't think it would be very good to restrict that. Or remove the health bump of CLs all together!

and no access to Class Cloaks/Weapons/Myths and some Kings Armor utilization. That's a big hindrance to those players.

Can obtain level 50 but cannot use the /rp off and /xp off commands.

I feel we should let f2p players rp/xp off so they can hang out in BG's if they choose.

But I can also see that having them in NF is better for population.

Will have "classic" buffing rules.
    EC-characters must stay in range and be grouped with any other character that they buff or are buffed by for the buffs to work.
    Cannot use existing buff potions..

They need access to Supremacy pots. They would never be able to compete as solo/small man without.

Cannot own or be given permission to access a house or guild house.

I don't see an issue giving them access to their guilds house for using vaults and supplies the guild offers.

Far more pleased with these limitations than the previous ones.
    Post edited by Impounded on
    Impounded - Warrior__________Gimpound - Champion
    Chantsy - Paladin____________Shaquilleoatmeal - Berserker
    Cowtastrophe - Hero__________Shrimpsticks - Infiltrator

Feel free to add me on Discord: Impounded#5743

>Daoc Videos<
  • A lot of good stuff here but not enough for me yet but it’s a start.Personally for me
    realm balance still needs looking at the state of Albion compared to other realms has been a major reason for many alb players leaving.
    If you are gonna post and tell me to be specific about alb just read my old posts for about the last 2 years you will get the thread there.
    Healing out of control almost every toon has some form of heal now the amount of uses and ablatives need toning down massively.
    These items and uses are wide open to be exploited and manipulated.
    Artifacts you need to update them .
    New frontiers needs the maze towers back and strategy reintroduced where bgs main job is to get a port and maintain it not roam around as a huge
    Steamroller.
    You need to look at csr response and communication with the player base.
    I think a lot of people would come back if you try to maybe address some of these points.
    Finally close the gap between new players and veterans or even pugs and leet groups bring back some overpowered classes on each realm that are easy to play and can give leaser players the chance to compete
  • I agree Brut, Albion needs some balancing done to their classes! Theurgs shouldnt be able to mezz then stun stun stun stun while nuke nuke nuke. Thanes and Wardens needs to be moved up to match Reavers tanking abilities. Sorc needs a nerf to their LT, allow them to be the best mezzers but with that not be able to LT tanks down uninterruptible without MoC. Cabalist DoTs are way too OP but are never utilized...im suprized Albion players havent caught on to that yet. Albion is so much more OP than the other 2 realms, only reason you dont feel it is because everyone plays Midgard so it feels like its underpowered
    DaRedANT wrote: »

Oh so you want free accounts and free gear, gotcha.

I want these players to stick around. King's gear is low tier in terms of equipment. Imagine going to NF in CV BP armor. You can't put EC players at a disadvantage otherwise they won't play.
    Brut wrote: »
    A lot of good stuff here but not enough for me yet but it’s a start.Personally for me
    realm balance still needs looking at the state of Albion compared to other realms has been a major reason for many alb players leaving.
    If you are gonna post and tell me to be specific about alb just read my old posts for about the last 2 years you will get the thread there.
    Healing out of control almost every toon has some form of heal now the amount of uses and ablatives need toning down massively.
    These items and uses are wide open to be exploited and manipulated.
    Artifacts you need to update them .
    New frontiers needs the maze towers back and strategy reintroduced where bgs main job is to get a port and maintain it not roam around as a huge
    Steamroller.
    I think a lot of people would come back if you try to maybe address some of these points.
    Finally close the gap between new players and veterans or even pugs and leet groups bring back some overpowered classes on each realm that are easy to play and can give leaser players the chance to compete

You missed that majority of the 'rebalance' patches drove people away. Light tanks getting free charge 5/pet patch/stealther revamp patch. It took "them" forever to nerf the pets; BD being the very last one after it was live for what 2+ years?
    Now you request for rebalance again after all of the gear/damage/life creep that is currently on Live. If anything they should roll back. Did the Sorc really need all those toys. Do Clerics really need the single target mezz and all the other stuff?

I'd say Albion benefited as well...*cough* heretics + ST @beibhinn
  • Tubben wrote: »

Lots of top templates can be made without CL15. Also, there has to be some difference between you pay $15 a mo and free to play, right?
    @Brut

- Alb population has increased since the Mid US prime BG leaders quit. They could have all rolled to Hib but they didn't.

Healing out of control almost every toon has some form of heal now the amount of uses and ablatives need toning down
    - I see you post this constantly but don't know what you are specifically referring to regarding healing. Procs? Champ heals? Spreadheal? Greater heals? The ablatives are fine since they no longer stack, imo. Every /use has a 90s cool down before you can pop another therefore limiting the number of item buffs you can have at any time. I honestly don't think this is a problem.

Artifacts you need to update them
    - Some do, sure. But this is low on the priority list, imo. There's plenty of gear options at the moment.

Steamroller.

- This is a community problem, not one BS can really fix. People who run BGs make the choice to roam and steam roll or capture keeps and relics. I prefer the latter.

- I agree.

- I disagree. No class needs to be overpowered. The gap is already small since everyone can get the same equipment and abilities (referring to EC vs subbed players). Skill should always be in the equation. If you remove that, then you will lose more players than gain. As has been pointed out before, Zergers tend to be casual. 8mans not so much. Solo even less so since you can have the odds completely stacked against you.

I think you mean well but some of the issues you raised are not problems. Don't expect DAoC to ever be what you remembered because it's not going back.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
  • The current population is quite low. What is odd to me (and I zerg) is that the EU Primetime zerg fights have been more fun. I can describe what I experience but I'm not clear on the why of it all. Maybe someone else who has participated in the battles can provide some insight. For the zerg, the fights need to be long and sweeping battles to be fun.

Hibs definitely are in higher numbers but Albs and Mids do have a strong showing (EU Prime Time). There are times that the number of Albs and Hibs seem equal. Keep battles are taking considerably longer - 30 to 45 minutes to take a keep. Albs have been extremely clever in keep defense. MUCH MUCH less use of static tempest by all three realms. Hero is still running and Annamarie was on last week. Albs in particular seem to be primarily new players.

Hero is staying late Sat Feb 20th so will be interesting to experience the zerg under those circumstances. At this point I'm confused :)
    bt6w5o5eozyj.jpg

Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • (Realm vs Realm population-balancing feature)
    I really hope this means realm timers not restrictions on how many people can be in a open frontier at any time..
    (Cannot earn Champion Levels or Champion Level Abilities.)
    This is a great ideal you can build a nice templet with out Champ levels but still restricts the people who play for free.

All in all I found what BS is doing very up lifting it is a business and they still need to make $$. I have been playing this game since launch except for a couple month here and there playing other MMo's but DAOC PVP is the best hands down and always brings me back.

• Happy for breaking the silence, it's a breath of fresh air.

Many things sounds great, but I think we have to wait yet to see the details to give decent feedback on some of it. Really curious how some points fold themselves later.

On Endless Conquest limitation, I kinda understand, and want to encourage players to Sub, I feel like current version is a more acceptable one to still keep players around. However I personally think most encouraging would be:
    - 1 Account 1 Realm 1 Character locked with possible MTX purchase for every extra character slot
    - New Access tier introduced for something like 5$ 1 Account 3 Realm 3 Character with possible MTX purchase for every extra character slot, same buffing rules as 15$ sub, and ability to earn alternate currencies.

Since we remove RR and RA progression limitation which engages players, the multiple toon wouldn't be mandatory to be unlimited, and could also help players feel some need to help their realm. I like the new buffing ideas, as some of the chars have some self buffs, but I would allow Heroic buff pots, NPC buffs to make them feel they able to compete if they get higher RRs as compensation. CL limit is already enough, and would help them get some little buffs after rezzes to keep them stay in fight and dont release.

Since Progression servers planned after launch of Endless Conquest, it's too early to talk about it, while idea would engage many of players, we have to see where population lands after EC launch to even consider it I think, since we will have to keep Ywain around, and don't loose players who want to play there by making server empty. Overall, might be good, but early to decide.

Hope to see more communication like this in the future, arigatou gozaimasu ;)
  • 1. Lets not forget what happened to SWTOR when they first brought out their f2p model, players left and they got so much hate because of how restricted the f2p was. Now they have lifted a lot of the restrictions and its worth trying out atleast.
    2. Lets not forget what a f2p model is supposed to do, allow people to try the game out and decide whether they will play long enough to devote the sub or if they just dont like it, they didnt waste any money on it. If you limit people to 1 character per account...whats the point? They shouldnt have a limit on character slots at all...let them try out each class till they find one they like and then lvl that one up...although I do like the idea of only having f2p being able to play ONLY classic races and classes.
    3. How are you going to bring new players in? Your not advertising, so the only people who would try this new model out is current players and players who come back anyway sometimes. How are you reaching out to people that have never played the game? Never heard of the game? How are you going to tell them that instead of playing other games that have better graphics, better engines, better population...why should they play here? THIS #3 is what I want BS to answer, all other is just playerbase questions. Your putting in so much resources into a f2p model that your not stopping and thinking...is this even gonna be used?
    4. How can you not see adding a new sub only server is not going to be the final nail in the coffin? With our population, LAST thing you need to be doing is separating people.
  • I'm in awe that john is communicating with the player base.
  • What !!! Bulk of 2019... Yep good luck keeping pop up until then... This game requires a critical mass of players or it dies... Some times the server is 100% dead; 7 people in /who nf and 3 of them are me (people get on, it's dead so they pve in cures or something or just log out) this is a positive feedback system in the sense that the low the pop gets the faster it gets lower.

Yes I know there's a eu prime time that is kind of working but most of the others died and it's going to affect eu as well
  • Borivik wrote: »
    1. Lets not forget what happened to SWTOR when they first brought out their f2p model, players left and they got so much hate because of how restricted the f2p was. Now they have lifted a lot of the restrictions and its worth trying out atleast.
    2. Lets not forget what a f2p model is supposed to do, allow people to try the game out and decide whether they will play long enough to devote the sub or if they just dont like it, they didnt waste any money on it. If you limit people to 1 character per account...whats the point? They shouldnt have a limit on character slots at all...let them try out each class till they find one they like and then lvl that one up...although I do like the idea of only having f2p being able to play ONLY classic races and classes.
    3. How are you going to bring new players in? Your not advertising, so the only people who would try this new model out is current players and players who come back anyway sometimes. How are you reaching out to people that have never played the game? Never heard of the game? How are you going to tell them that instead of playing other games that have better graphics, better engines, better population...why should they play here? THIS #3 is what I want BS to answer, all other is just playerbase questions. Your putting in so much resources into a f2p model that your not stopping and thinking...is this even gonna be used?
    4. How can you not see adding a new sub only server is not going to be the final nail in the coffin? With our population, LAST thing you need to be doing is separating people.

1. / 2. This model is leagues better than their previous model and it's still in development which means nothing is final. Providing feedback will be paramount for its success at this point.

3. Considering the "other server" brings in 3K+ players without advertising makes your concern regarding advertising moot. What Broadsword has to do is make EC better than any fan-based alternative. They're moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

4. I agree that a sub only server is not optimal. If sub only was sustainable, then they wouldn't be focusing on a F2P model to increase the population.
  • How are you getting the numbers for 3k+? Yes, I agree if we had that kind of population, we wouldnt need to advertise...but we dont...and it wont go up to that much without any form of advertisement
    [removed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • And you expect them to all quit said servers to come? no...MAYBE a quarter of each might...might bring the population to over 1k...no where near 3k
    And you expect them to all quit said servers to come? no...MAYBE a quarter of each might...might bring the population to over 1k...no where near 3k

Also, the official DAoC Facebook page has over 20k followers: https://www.facebook.com/DarkAgeofCamelot/. I don't think advertising is the problem.
  • Okay, yeah lets bring in those numbers...hell, ill raise you...lets bring in the DAoC peak numbers of millions...does that do anything? no because 90% of those player if you tell them to come back WILL say "i thought that game would be completely dead by now" as in they dont check in on the game and wouldnt until they see an ad or someone they know mention but all those people are the same...all those likes on facebooks are from old players that are now inactive on facebook now, there are only like 200 total people on this forum and facebook and such like you and me beetle that are actually active in looking in said forums and facebook posts to see if there is anything new or youtube for videos even...
    Okay, yeah lets bring in those numbers...hell, ill raise you...lets bring in the DAoC peak numbers of millions...does that do anything? no because 90% of those player if you tell them to come back WILL say "i thought that game would be completely dead by now" as in they dont check in on the game and wouldnt until they see an ad or someone they know mention but all those people are the same...all those likes on facebooks are from old players that are now inactive on facebook now, there are only like 200 total people on this forum and facebook and such like you and me beetle that are actually active in looking in said forums and facebook posts to see if there is anything new or youtube for videos even...

You're missing the point. There is a large target audience that wants a F2P version of DAoC. This is supported by every freeshard that has ever been released. While they have inevitably failed for various reasons, they all start out strong with thousands of players, some of which are new to DAoC. It's in Broadswords best interest to reel these players to live by providing a polished F2P model. Some may never want to come back and that is fine. But to completely dismiss F2P is ignorant. I could never get my IRL buddies to pay to play DAoC since it's an old game but they'll give it a shot when it goes F2P. I suspect I'm not the only one with this experience.
  • They would come and try it with the 2 week free trial, because thats all you need to try out the game...we dont need a f2p...and your missing the whole point on why those freeshards or lets just call them as they are...private servers, start out strong is because its new, everyone starts out on an even playing field but then it gets old and the population balances out...its like with any big update on live here, there IS a huge bump in subs when curse came out, the chapters, the new classes, but then the population balanced back down to the very loyal and those same loyal play both private server and live server like i do, most likely you have tried them too...
  • the 2 week trial only had 3 restrictions, cant talk in region, cant trade, cant buy a house...if your friends were gonna try it out, they shoulda done it with the 2 week trial because now with the f2p, they will have so many restrictions that they CANT try the game, hell even some players are calling to only have 1 character slot...like how can you try the game like that?
    They would come and try it with the 2 week free trial, because thats all you need to try out the game...we dont need a f2p...and your missing the whole point on why those freeshards or lets just call them as they are...private servers, start out strong is because its new, everyone starts out on an even playing field but then it gets old and the population balances out...its like with any big update on live here, there IS a huge bump in subs when curse came out, the chapters, the new classes, but then the population balanced back down to the very loyal and those same loyal play both private server and live server like i do, most likely you have tried them too...

There is no saving DAoC through advertisement on a sub model. It will die faster without F2P. If you want DAoC to continue passed 2019, then F2P is the way to go. However, it has to be a solid model which BS is clearly focused on providing.
  • Im all for a F2P but you guys seem to think that ONLY bringing out a f2p model is gonna magically make people aware of this game...advertise, advertise the f2p, or the sub, i dont care...advertise...
    @Borivik
    I also don't like that EC postponed from 2018 Winter, to that far, but it's manageable. While being free allows many to try out game once again, or even play it competitively, it's balance is fairly critical, since as you said we don't want them unable to play with free option, while we wan't subs to appeal which is hard in an RvR game without making a tiny distinction. Spoke with few of the friends of mine, and from what I see on other topics, a non-sub-supporter-subscribed 3 tiered system also may have it's appeal, and lower the cost, but free to play has been proven to be good way to improve population, or regain traction (look at Neverwinter) if done well.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Gavner wrote: »
    @Borivik
    I also don't like that EC postponed from 2018 Winter, to that far, it's manageable. While being free allows many to try out game once again, or even play it competitively, it's balance is fairly critical, since as you said we don't want them unable to play with free option, while we wan't subs to appeal which is hard in an RvR game without making a tiny distinction. Spoke with few of the friends of mine, and from what I see on other topics, a non-sub-supporter-subscribed 3 tiered system also may have it's appeal, and lower the cost, but free to play has been proven to be good way to improve population, or regain traction (look at Neverwinter) if done well.

Look at SWTOR if done wrong! lol, I am all for bringing people to this game...I want to see server queues because we hit the servers max, i would LOVE that. but we must be careful because like you said, a tiny distinction can ruin everything
    No distinction too, since it's impossible to monetize the game then. People will just run out their subs if there is not enough appeal. We can discuss to make it appealing, but have to be careful, and rather lower the restriction if it doesn't appeal for many after it's release, if you make it too appealing to pay without sub, you will loose all subs too.

Edit: Also, make changes after F2P on it's system is forgiving if you lower restriction, however unforgiving to increase.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Idea: A way to Like a comment on these forums lol I want to hit Like on Gavners above comment
  • We did comment at one point that there would be advertising in various forms for EC. Also please remember no freeshard talk, thanks.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • You say f2p accounts can't use supremacy pots, but what about npc buffs? I understand limiting the best buffs, but you have to give them something. Remember people, nothing is set in stone, if it doesn't work it can change.