how will the free acounts be motivated to stay when they are nothing but free rp ?

especially when noone will group them ? unless they are female and have a cool voice on a voice com /rofl
Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
Tagged:

Comments

• Winter is coming, i see a snowflake outside.
  • Yea I brought this up on the unofficial forums months ago. They will basically be farmed in their King's templates unless they are rolling with the zerg.

At least they made curse easier now so not as much of a barrier to best in slot 3 piece set.
  • edited December 2018 PM
    Looking at the restrictions, we had the following listed in 2017. I'm guessing with the apparent success of the MTX system, BS might decide that they have enough faith in their micro transaction system to go all out, but we will see. Not sure if the list below is going to bring back old players OR generate interest in a 18 year old game, especially considering just how hamstrung the players will be. Instead, why not make everything free to play, and introduce a swathe of Mithril-bought item customizations, mounts, pets, housing decorations etc to pay the wages and the bills.

If the idea is to retain a subscription alongside a separate MTX system (as we have now), because the annual decline in player-base is projected to be insufficient to support the game using just the former, then there is a problem. If you want players to try out a crippled version of the game, where classes are restricted, rewards are throttled and they are continually being rolled by RR12+'s, then where is the incentive to shell out $15 a month, when most games of this era are either dead or have gone FTP. Heck, just look at all the mobile apps you have now. The client is free (providing everyone with the same experience) and in-app transactions are available if you want to bolt on new skins or abilities.

• 1 character slot; 4 classes available in each realm (not spec-buffing classes)
    • Cannot own or be given permission to access a house.
    • Can enjoy exploring one of Albion, Midgard, or Hibernia
    • Experience, bounty point, coin, and realm point gain will be significantly reduced and/or throttled compared to normal accounts.
    • Will be unable to use the /rp off and /xp off commands.
    • Cannot skill up in tradeskills.
    • Purchaseable access to the personal vault or /bank.
    • Concentration buffs can only be cast on EC-enabled characters within the buffers' group and will be restricted in range.
    • May not place a house or be given permission to use a friend’s house.
    Post edited by Auberne on
  • I dont know if it will help but, im setting up a site here with a few freinds localy so we can let people know about the game and also learn what it has to offer myself im trying to talk about the game with people and maybe convince them to play it.Right now lots of folk have said to me that they are defenatly goin to try it out when endless conquest comes along.Again this is just me with a couple of freinds where i live EU Greece :) so i hope i can make even a slight differance
  • I think the 3l9 cap is alittle much. I think it would be a better thing to have the rp gain at a slower rate like it was in the classic game for f2p accounts
  • These accounts can be very effective, if played right, and in battlegroups. For years I played a game called Eve Online, In eve there is a group called Goonswarm. They started out by "swarming" targets with hundreds of noob characters in starter gear. This of course relies on being able to get enough people to play, and group up, but if someone can pull it off the result would be hilarious. There will be no hardcore noob 8 mans, but 30-40 noobs all assisting will surely rain on someone parade.
  • Badnagen wrote: »
    30-40 noobs all assisting will surely rain on someone parade.

17 years and we've never had that yet

Badnagen wrote: »
    These accounts can be very effective, if played right, and in battlegroups. For years I played a game called Eve Online, In eve there is a group called Goonswarm. They started out by "swarming" targets with hundreds of noob characters in starter gear. This of course relies on being able to get enough people to play, and group up, but if someone can pull it off the result would be hilarious. There will be no hardcore noob 8 mans, but 30-40 noobs all assisting will surely rain on someone parade.

Sounds like what we would do sometimes in Cotswold on #Mordred leeching level 50's with lower levels was only a handful though.
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • The good ol days of mordred low lvls. See 30 to 40 theurgists spamming lvl 50s with stun and snare pets.... Was epic hahaha and bonedancers ect.
  • I think honestly the best action for new players will be in Molvik or at least in the Battle grounds, I feel that there should be some kind of focus on having them spend their time there.

The NF action I see them needing really to be in the BG / zerg otherwise running as small/8man they really will be discouraged
    AlbionExiles (Warden) | AlbionExecutioner (Champion) | AlbionExile (Bainshee)
    TheWayForward
  • The good ol days of mordred low lvls. See 30 to 40 theurgists spamming lvl 50s with stun and snare pets.... Was epic hahaha and bonedancers ect.

Remember Gawdz the troll bdancer? Man he caused many a rage logs.
  • I have a decent grasp on the game and crazy templates and I can’t compete in the 8 man world. I can’t imagine someone who doesn’t understand the mechanics and classes fully. Zerg 4 life for me :)
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I have a decent grasp on the game and crazy templates and I can’t compete in the 8 man world. I can’t imagine someone who doesn’t understand the mechanics and classes fully. Zerg 4 life for me :)

Aye, realistically it took most of us at least close to a year+ to begin to fully understand how our own class could be optimally utilized let alone how they could be utilized with other classes of the same realm and even more so what was best to counterbalance the enemy realms classes.
  • Yea i remember gawdz. Also Crawdad the animist and his zerg of animists when they had 15 pets a pop lol!
  • Yea i remember gawdz. Also Crawdad the animist and his zerg of animists when they had 15 pets a pop lol!

Unlimited shroom pets layered across AMG and MMG in old Emain is seared into my brain for eternity.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Yea thr unlimited pets wasnt there long haha. They changed that reaaaaally fast haha
  • Yea thr unlimited pets wasnt there long haha. They changed that reaaaaally fast haha

So much laaaaag.

On topic though, I think they need to remove the RR cap entirely and just throttle the RP progression as was suggested above. They should also be allowed the option to /xp off in Battlegrounds so they can acquire some RR before reaching 50 and getting rofl stomped. Otherwise, you will have people purposefully dying to mobs preventing themselves from leveling out too early. XP and RP bonuses should be available ONLY through the MTX store. Additionally, I think they should increase the character slots to allow one of each archetype (melee, caster, healer, hybrid?, and stealther). Perhaps these additional slots could be unlocked through the MTX store. I understand not allowing access to Clerics, Druids, and Shamans but all other classes should be available. All items should be tradeable as they will be uncompetitive outside zerg play without a decent template. No F2P account should have access to Personal Houses; however, the option to purchase more /bank space and the addition of an account-wide vault should be implemented (for subs as well). All remaining proposed restrictions are okay in my book.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    I am, basically, a "rp donor". I don't care about it. I loved DAoC since my childhood. The game has a special charm for me I can't find anywhere else. So I stick to it, even if I can't get groups or whatever, I feel the game has so much to offer beyond realm points.

I think the best chance the F2P model has is bringing back nostalgic old timers who will endure anything just because they love the game, because they were once passionate about it or whatever reason.

Thanks Broadsword for your efforts in keeping Camelot alive.
    Post edited by Aenvar on

So much laaaaag.

On topic though, I think they need to remove the RR cap entirely and just throttle the RP progression as was suggested above. They should also be allowed the option to /xp off in Battlegrounds so they can acquire some RR before reaching 50 and getting rofl stomped. Otherwise, you will have people purposefully dying to mobs preventing themselves from leveling out too early. XP and RP bonuses should be available ONLY through the MTX store. Additionally, I think they should increase the character slots to allow one of each archetype (melee, caster, healer, hybrid?, and stealther). Perhaps these additional slots could be unlocked through the MTX store. I understand not allowing access to Clerics, Druids, and Shamans but all other classes should be available. All items should be tradeable as they will be uncompetitive outside zerg play without a decent template. No F2P account should have access to Personal Houses; however, the option to purchase more /bank space and the addition of an account-wide vault should be implemented (for subs as well). All remaining proposed restrictions are okay in my book.

Hey now there are some pretty good ideas in here!

The XP and BP bonuses being available only through the MTX store is a fantastic idea.
  • Auberne wrote: »

And in 17 years the price has been $15 a month. People will be more inclined to log on and be annoying if it's free. "but, but,but free trials", 17 years ago most people couldnt get to 50 in 14 days. I actually think there would be more people doing the free thing in molvik than the frontier.
  • Auberne wrote: »

Sounds like the Hero zerg to me
    Honestly, I think RR difference is a thing, but playing various RR characters the biggest is the itemization difference. It doesn't take much to slightly improve / buff king's gear, or offer a not so hard quest to be able to upgrade your king's gear.

101 Main stats / little better procs / more hp would be fine enough with some minor myth bonus and better ToA bonuses (so like a little older temp), lot's of times I didn't have difficulty killing higher RR players with my lower RR chars, they don't have all their RAs up all the time, you just need some decent gear. (Except Sakibombs, hes a beast :P)

Anyway, as a community we can make their journey much easier by explaining how the game works, what to get first, and don't expect to 1v1 everyone as soon they hit 50. In a small man / Pug / Zerg environment a little better king's gear would be fine enough to get a nice experience from DAoC as a start. :)
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • We are never getting new people, this game is to unforgiven with way to much **** to wade thru before you even have a basic understand of your own class.

Not to mention we are a community of selfish people that have little interest in wasting our time trying to help people.

Sure some will give advise gear and let them tag along in a zerg, but really what do they learn that way? How to tab target and aoe/anytime style/Or mash group heals?

I'm negative I know but this game isn't getting new subs the only hope is to get former addicts to relapse. The friendly players that want to help aren't normally competitive and the competitive people aren't friendly.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
    @Boduke
    You have some truth in what you say, but just a tad negative I agree. The learning curve of DAoC is ofc high, that's why whatever Broadsword might do, there's no way a new player can expect competitive in elite 8v8, or solo. Truth be told, that's already harsh with some returning players also, but gives a nice goal to compete towards in long run too.

Yeah, however, there are play-styles you mentioned that are clearly easier, or more forgiving. I don't see an issue there. Do remind you we have old players also, who can get away clearly without amazing skill. Yeah, just choose the play-styles accordingly. I do not think the only fun in DAoC starts when you are an elite soloer, or 8v8 players, it's already very clear even among old players, that more casual playing of the game can be fun for them too.

Every other competitive game have their elites, that casual player wont compete with, I don't see that an issue. If more casual will start playing, yes, they will have tough time with elite players, but if their numbers increase (let's hope being free does that), it might be not a big deal. I can go play many currently loved competitive Tournament style games and get **** on by their best players, that's nothing new or unexpected I think.

About the community, I returned to DAoC like 6 month's ago after a few year break, my biggest issue was itemization (although I wanted really high-end gear to be able to solo/small man again too), but we can improve on that, and the most help i got from really amazing & nice people. There are some Elitists who doesn't care about others, but we have tons of nice helpful people also. They may not be the most competitive players? Yeah, maybe most aren't, but I do not see why it's any much an issue as long new players can manage to understand the way this game works. I would love to believe the community can help those who are new to the game, I've spoken with a few new players, they all got immerse help from community in various guilds.

P.S. These forums may seem more negative in terms of community then ingame experience. Most nice people stay away from forums because of the non-stop drama it had recently, hope that changes aswell. :)
    Post edited by Gavner on
    @Gavner I understand and agree with most of what your saying for returning/older players finding a way to enjoy casual play.

I will admit guilds didn't cross my mind in help department with learning ect, haven't dealt with guilds since ector/classic server

So maybe there is a chance. I'm just 1 of the selfish players in community and would rather returning players that will play a more variety of playstyle faster over chasing new players.
    Post edited by Boduke on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
  • I think allowing F2P players to join Guilds (not form one) would help in terms of community. Hib is definitely good at welcoming returning / new players. I'm not sure if the other two realms have friendly guilds for newcomers. Couple that with some of my suggestions and the F2P model will certainly bring people in. However, some of the bugs and current UI may dissuade them from staying. The latter can be addressed by the playerbase but the former is an ongoing problem (i.e. pet patching since the dawn of DAoC).
  • The Starter guild should have active real dev/support/voulanteers players that help new players.
    Would be pretty easy for BS to form a program where nice ppl spend 1-2h for a discount of sub to help f2p users on where to go, start grps for pve etc
  • Ambassadors of the game. Good idea.
  • And have starter guilds always have rp and xp buffs running
    Sorry not a fan of giving players free or discounted subs for not doing anything, reminds me of knights and other programs of past free account given due to ass kissing whoever is in charge and than little to no actual work from them. ( not all ofcourse)

If anything community people like beib and the other 1 should be doing that stuff since if they aren't working on the game they are token fluffers to keep the angry masses at bay with there non answers to any questions of importance.
    Post edited by Boduke on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
    Glad to be appreciated

Something along those lines we looked at before and isn't off the table. We do have a few ideas across the board but nothing set in stone just yet. Loads of time :) Keep the discussion going!
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Glad to be appreciated

Something along those lines we looked at before and isn't off the table. We do have a few ideas across the board but nothing set in stone just yet. Loads of time :) Keep the discussion going!

If this becomes a thing, I'd gladly apply for an Ambassador position in Albion :)
  • Especially Armsman I would think
  • As mentioned if the FTP folks can't compete, they'll just quit. Either go all the way or let the game die.
  • Nobody is gonna stick around stuck at low rr
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781