New Guild Emblems/ White Dyes/Cloth/Leather/Enamels/Weapon Lusters

Good Evening Everyone !
Dear Broadsword,
I think your doing hell of job in keeping this game and community going. I know you can't please everyone, someone will always be unhappy with current/future changes in game.
Moving forward, would there be any chance of introducing more Guild Emblems? I'm sure many new, current and future guild would be very excited with new emblems since our current selection well to put it bluntly are dull and very very very limited selection due to the longevity of this game.

Any Chance of introducing a White Dye ? for both Cloth/Leather/Enamels/ and Weapon Lusters? it would be kinda of cool. I do realize there are player made dyes that are Light Gray but just not the same as White.

On both requests: im sure i speak on the behalf of many and not to just benefit me.

Thank you, Broad Sword for Bending an Ear !

Smoke,

Comments

• edited November 2018 PM
    From the grab bag in 2006. I assume this position has not changed, but only BS could answer that. This was 12 years ago, so they may have done this differently by now.

Q: I want white dye. Can I have it?

A: No, because what we have isn't a dye system. Crash course in art terms: All of your character's armor, each suit, has somewhere in the game's files a little rectangle with every stripe, rivet, and decoration painted on it. This thing is called a texture. Your character is made up of a bunch of polygons; little flat angled shapes like facets of a diamond, that, properly assembled, look like a single 3D shape. Each polygon is covered with a piece taken from the texture. To change armor, your items are not repainted. Entirely different polygons referring to entirely different textures are put on your body. When you dye your armor, you keep your polygons, and the game tints the polygons you already have. Metaphorically, this occurs by sloshing a bucket of paint over the texture of what you are wearing.

Now, here's our art lead, Russell. People who have done web design will understand everything, but I think that even if you've never done any digital art, you can follow along:

"Dying something white in the way you mean (where something that is colored say, navy blue, simply becomes a white or cream color) will never work unless the dye system is overhauled. What she's describing is something akin to a texture swap system, not a tint system (which is what we have).

"Essentially, the way things work now is the dye color exists as an RGB value assigned by us and put into the spreadsheet, which is then applied by the game engine as an overlay to the texture. An overlay with a white (255, 255, 255) value simply lightens whatever it is applied to. The end result is a clumsy tint that somewhat washes out whatever texture the color tint is on. So in the case of a navy blue all it would do is make it a lighter blue, and nowhere close to white. Thus, white as a dye color was never added, because it could not be achieved.

"An easy way to see this in practice is to open any image in Photoshop. The image needs to be something that is not a pure white (or a blank file, or a new file). Almost any texture or digital photo will do for this purpose. Then create a new layer, perform a fill or paint bucket command with white as the color operand, and change the blend mode of that layer to overlay. What happens to the image is identical to what I described above. It simply tints the image and only serves to lighten it somewhat and wash it out.

"A texture swap system allows for the kind of "true dyeing" this person is looking for. However, this requires somewhere between 10 to 12 new color textures for EACH texture that currently is dye-able in the game. I would hazard a guess that somewhere between 900 to 1000 textures fall into this category, and hand editing nine or twelve thousand textures is something I wouldn't wish on a death row inmate.

"Let's not even mention the kind of load and hitch nightmare that it would create inside the actual game itself. I would imagine DAoC would become virtually unplayable with that kind of overhead."

So, you see we've ruled out doing this by hand. We would need to solve this problem with code, and we have a whole lot on the list for the coders already.
    Post edited by Auberne on
  • There are some white items in the game midwinter cloaks are fairly close.
  • Yes, because they were created to be white to start with.
  • I would love more guild emblems. On Hib I have a “fly” for Da fly family, which is great. I would love to have an “ant” emblem for Mid, and a “spider” emblem for Alb.

@John_Broadsword
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    I would love more guild emblems. On Hib I have a “fly” for Da fly family, which is great. I would love to have an “ant” emblem for Mid, and a “spider” emblem for Alb.

@John_Broadsword

There's already a spider on Hibernia. Can't take it out on the developers if you make guilds without forethought.
  • edited November 2018 PM
    Sovereign wrote: »
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    I would love more guild emblems. On Hib I have a “fly” for Da fly family, which is great. I would love to have an “ant” emblem for Mid, and a “spider” emblem for Alb.

@John_Broadsword

There's already a spider on Hibernia. Can't take it out on the developers if you make guilds without forethought.

Clearly you don’t read well. I don’t need a spider on Hib, I need it on Alb. I already have a “fly” for Da fly family on Hib.

Go exploit siege more dude.
    Post edited by DaRedANT on
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters