Immediate effects of F2P on population boost

SymSym
edited July 2018 in General Board
If the recent happenings on that one thing that shall not be named is any indicator, a live F2P will almost double our population immediately with just returning players, not to mentioned influx of new players from Steam, etc.
Post edited by Sym on
Symonde (Cleric)
Symfriar (Friar duh)
Symsorc (Double duh)
Sympets (Theurg)
Symmond (Arms)
Some random mids and hibs

Comments

• Ah...ha...ha...

Yeah...no.

A Classic server is not a live server. I watched a guy with 500~ viewers stream live DAoC for a few hours over the course of a few days and they absolutely shat all over the game. Repeatedly. Despite his vain attempts to make it appear interesting and assurances that the game was great.

Dude ran around Molvik and got farmed by templated characters every ten minutes since the place was so dead.

You overestimate the number of people who are cheapasses and want something for free and underestimate the number of people who do not like modern EA/BS live DAoC.
  • edited July 2018 PM
    I think f2p would be just a short bushfire (from the infos that we know). Mixing up returning players, few new players and veterans will not work

I would setup a fresh new server, maybe with Gareth ruleset and settings.Full f2p for 1-2 chars up to rr 4l9. If you want more...pay for it, for each char.
    Post edited by Stoertebecker on
  • I actually think f2p would help bring some players back but i think these players wouls either hate the updated classes or the need for 1-2 mithril templates to compete. Guy was selling cursed gloves for 650 plat on hib and people were buying them saying they lost fights because they didnt have it in their templates.
  • Guys, you don’t need cursed or freezing for good temps. 100-200plat is enough
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • You need them for any decent solo/small template, which is considering the population, is your most likely source of action.
  • Really? Don't need new gear huh, ffs
  • Well, tbh if a person runs in a fg or more than a top tier template with all the bells and whistles is not a must have. Yes, they will still want a template with good stats, resists, hp's, and + to skills, but they won't need to have 5 or more charges in their templates, although it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Basically, the less people you run with the more important a top tier template is.
  • Sym wrote: »
    If the recent happenings on that one thing that shall not be named is any indicator, a live F2P will almost double our population immediately with just returning players, not to mentioned influx of new players from Steam, etc.

i think most returning players are not eligible for returning players.

i'm curious about the effect of steam on new players though, but those players are going to **** bricks when they get into rvr. i mean they will be dead man walking.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • Sym wrote: »

what makes you think a second server will make ywain better ? i think it would/could kill ywain.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • I’m saying free to play live will bring at least 400-500 people in
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
  • edited July 2018 PM
    I personally don’t think the fact that it is free as much to do with the population [edited]
    Endless conquest will probably provide a spike in the beginning, but as people run into the quite gigantic pve grind they need for items, only to get farmed by the people that are left, not sure how long they’ll actually stay.
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • Shoke wrote: »
    I personally don’t think the fact that it is free as much to do with the population [edited]
    Endless conquest will probably provide a spike in the beginning, but as people run into the quite gigantic pve grind they need for items, only to get farmed by the people that are left, not sure how long they’ll actually stay.

That and DAoC is such an old game that a newer game offers a ton more helpful, useful, and convenient things that DAoC probably won't be able to do such as an ingame mailing system.
  • wil bring nothing, i dont play because
    zerg and 8man is the most supported playstyle
    behavior on this server
    the game has be driven to far