EU Population Ywain server Status

Population at EU prime-time (Bank Holiday/Memorial Day)

Time: 9:30PM CET / 8.30PM UK / 3:30PM EST / 2:30PM CST / 12:30PM PST

HIBERNIA:
New Frontiers: 201
Tir Na Nog (Hib Capital city): 35
Cathal Valley: 7
Molvik: 12
Thidrank 8
Total: 315 online (including all zones)

MIDGARD:
New Frontiers: 192
Jordheim (Mid Capital City): 7
Cathal Valley: 4
Molvik: 10
Thidrank: 4
Total: 306 online (Including all zones)

ALBION:
New Frontiers: 136
Camelot (Alb Capital City): 36
Cathal Valley: 8
Molvik: 14
Thidranki: 3
Total: 292 online (Including all zones)

Total number on Ywain Server 913 Players
(This doesn't include anon players)

Comments

• So where’s the Albs? In my experience, lots of albs play /anon for reasons I don’t understand.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • I doubt the drop in Albs is primarily due to /anon players. I feel it's more attributed to the fact that Alb EU does not have a consistent and reliable BG leader and the repeated constant hammering the Hib zerg inflicts on the other realms during EU.
  • edited May 2018 PM
    Thid used to be so much fun and thriving back in the day before they gutted it via a water based map. Not the current map but the revamp map prior. Maybe BS would consider making Thid great again. @beibhinn
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • Summer is coming.
  • null

Pretty much that Alb EU is 4-5 groups and a bunch of stealthers. Hero and Anna come to PvE the keeps, once Bold/Rena falls the population dies off.

As noted, last week there was a Hero BG of 90 taking Renaris, which was more than the entirety of the Alb Frontier population.

Must be something done as I do find the numbers on alb EU to be consistently dwindling, sub-200 numbers are common.
  • Aren't a "some" of those missing Albs in Hero's BGs working on rr for their Hib toons though? - they talk about it enough.,,,

• Albs are tired of fighting in keeps where hibs exploit pet bugs and no LOS healing to tank classes that climb walls. Most albs during EU time just log or play other games. The reverse happens US prime in population. 100 hibs logged in vs 300 albs. Tough to encourage balanced play.

A Better keep design.
    A Better RPS bonus system that accounts for afks/bots in relic towns. Albs traditionally afk more and have more bots it seems.
    A Better Realm timer log-in system. (log over to underpop or equal pop realms = no timer, log to over populated realm - 20 min wait)
    ~Westies
  • Ssavii wrote: »
    Aren't a "some" of those missing Albs in Hero's BGs working on rr for their Hib toons though? - they talk about it enough.,,,

Yep Half of Hero's Hibs are Albs that are in the Federation of Hiberina.
  • edited May 2018 PM
    Westies wrote: »
    Albs are tired of fighting in keeps where hibs exploit pet bugs and no LOS healing to tank classes that climb walls. Most albs during EU time just log or play other games. The reverse happens US prime in population. 100 hibs logged in vs 300 albs. Tough to encourage balanced play.

A Better keep design.
    A Better RPS bonus system that accounts for afks/bots in relic towns. Albs traditionally afk more and have more bots it seems.
    A Better Realm timer log-in system. (log over to underpop or equal pop realms = no timer, log to over populated realm - 20 min wait)

Stop blaming it on your fellow players. We all pay a monthly fee to play the game - blame the stewards and runners of said service for not fixing it.

We *all* know that pet pathing is BS and they attack through walls. I just had this happen on Hib with an Alb pet. It's crap - but am I angry at that player? Not in any meaningful way. I'm more upset that this is just accepted as the way it is when it's clearly broken, and clearly B.S.

Almost all of this is simply players responding to the in-game world they're given. Broadsword needs to clean up their act rather than having the player base eat itself alive because they can't/won't fix the bugs that put people at each others throats.

DAoC has designed itself into a hole IMO - which is why I went and played on a Classic server instead for so long. It's why that idea is even popular in the first place. I've got no clue who is actually in charge of making changes around here, but I'm largely unimpressed. They seem to be working hard for a F2P option, but to me that seems backwards. Why invite guests over to your house when you couch has dog piss on it and there is laundry all over the floor? People are going to have a great time when they spent a few hours at a Curse raid just to have something bug out, or they go LD at the entirely wrong time and miss credit. Or when they get gibbed by a heat-seeking pet that ran through two castle walls and auto-attacked them until they die.

- Pets attacking thru walls.
    - Animist pets able to be placed on the keep roof/ledges
    - Certain siege engines entirely ignoring LoS and hitting people inside of structures until they run out of range.
    - Pods of healers sitting outside of keeps healing through walls, combined with the lack of defensive options for defenders on said wall.

It's not like any of this is new. It's just that the best we've gotten is "we are working on RvR" and "doors on oil level" and some mysterious "keep objectives" which is apparently going to be tested in Molvik first.
    Post edited by Budikah on
  • Couldn't agree more Budikah. Things need to be fixed before anything involving F2P is considered.
  • Budikah wrote: »
    Westies wrote: »
    Albs are tired of fighting in keeps where hibs exploit pet bugs and no LOS healing to tank classes that climb walls. Most albs during EU time just log or play other games. The reverse happens US prime in population. 100 hibs logged in vs 300 albs. Tough to encourage balanced play.

A Better keep design.

Stop blaming it on your fellow players. We all pay a monthly fee to play the game - blame the stewards and runners of said service for not fixing it.

We *all* know that pet pathing is BS and they attack through walls. I just had this happen on Hib with an Alb pet. It's crap - but am I angry at that player? Not in any meaningful way. I'm more upset that this is just accepted as the way it is when it's clearly broken, and clearly B.S.

Almost all of this is simply players responding to the in-game world they're given. Broadsword needs to clean up their act rather than having the player base eat itself alive because they can't/won't fix the bugs that put people at each others throats.

DAoC has designed itself into a hole IMO - which is why I went and played on a Classic server instead for so long. It's why that idea is even popular in the first place. I've got no clue who is actually in charge of making changes around here, but I'm largely unimpressed. They seem to be working hard for a F2P option, but to me that seems backwards. Why invite guests over to your house when you couch has dog piss on it and there is laundry all over the floor? People are going to have a great time when they spent a few hours at a Curse raid just to have something bug out, or they go LD at the entirely wrong time and miss credit. Or when they get gibbed by a heat-seeking pet that ran through two castle walls and auto-attacked them until they die.

- Pets attacking thru walls.
    - Animist pets able to be placed on the keep roof/ledges
    - Certain siege engines entirely ignoring LoS and hitting people inside of structures until they run out of range.
    - Pods of healers sitting outside of keeps healing through walls, combined with the lack of defensive options for defenders on said wall.

It's not like any of this is new. It's just that the best we've gotten is "we are working on RvR" and "doors on oil level" and some mysterious "keep objectives" which is apparently going to be tested in Molvik first.

I'm not blaming the players. These are all easy fixes.
    ~Westies
  • when/if the albs try and get their relic back, just watch the mid population drop and hib increase.

its magic :)
  • The reason alb eu pop is low is because alb just ain’t fun anymore only certain types of groups you can play on alb due to low utility so it narrows group ease of setting up.
    During eu time the pop is low because most albs are either running small or 8 no point defending keeps because of cow and Anna numbers we have more fun all running 8 or small and calling voltron when the cow or Anna are engaged.
  • After renewing recently I found it pretty hard to get excited about the game anymore. As someone who is not constantly subscribed I noticed the following during my EU-primetime gameplay:

* Herorius-zerg is pretty much outnumbering everything at most evenings to a point nobody even cares to have a go at fighting it. This is not Herorius his fault, but it is happening regardless.
    * When in the "old ages" you could sometimes handle superiour numbers by outplaying them. This is nowadays incredibly hard because the typical zerg-member is also RR8+ due to a RP-creep. When a solo-kill gives 7000 RP's and completing a few daily quests gives you 50+ k RP's every night there is, in my opinion, no feeling of that you accomplished something. RR5 "back in the day" was nice, now it is a weekend of running a zerg tagging along.
    * Keep-design and keep-fights are so imbalanced there is little point in trying to defend, especially when you're outnumbered. A typical keep-fight against Herorius-zerg means you have easily 15+ heroes, vampiirs and nightshades roaming the inside of the keep backed up by a pletora of healers who can happily heal while being out of harm's way.
    * Economy is completely out of whack if you want a competitive template. Items cost either 200+ plat or you're forced to run mindless PvE in a game which has crap for PvE to begin with. I mean, I did the solo Curse-campaign steps on a few different characters on different realms and everytime I end up with thinking "Who thought recycling an old dungeon where you need to kill mobs which literally take 2+ minutes to kill without any risk because you have a pet healer with you" was a good idea. It is not challenging, it is just a time-sink and extremely boring.
    * Bugs riddle the game. Can't run through Jordheim without crashing. Can't play to suddenly have your game crash when clicking an item, watching your buffs or literally do something which bugs the game out.
    * Power-creep in templates and specs. There probably was a good reason to give some classes an overhaul, but giving them super-OP abilities like unbreakable snares, 2300+ WS, insane HoT /use items, IP2 gloves and spells, 70+% effective magic-resists and whatever other stupid **** I encountered during my month makes it incredibly hard "to adapt" if you have not been in the game for a while. Combined with the problematic economy it is hard to get on equal footing. And even if you do get all that, the result is that more and more having certain stuff up and /used is more important than skill or game-play.

• Sprouty wrote: »
    After renewing recently I found it pretty hard to get excited about the game anymore. As someone who is not constantly subscribed I noticed the following during my EU-primetime gameplay:

* Herorius-zerg is pretty much outnumbering everything at most evenings to a point nobody even cares to have a go at fighting it. This is not Herorius his fault, but it is happening regardless.

So does the Mid/alb zerg at US prime-time reason it's pointless to run the Hibernia zerg because we get totally outnumbered.

There isn't anything unfair in this game accept it's just at different time zones. Herorius is Xyorman during US prime-time where he outnumbers the Hibs and sometimes albs. In fact there isn't a hib zerg at US prime-time because it's pointless the way the RvR system is at the moment with keeps and towers hard to take.

• As someone who runs in zergs, and sees the numbers, EU prime (lately) has been dominated by hibs, thats fine, the numbers are there, people (including myself) are losing faith in the ability of the zergs to fight, and as a result people won't follow anna at EU times as much as they used to, whereas Hero is winning alot more, so the zerg population is with him currently, this happens and changes every couple of months.

Albs during that time are dominated by 8 man groups and stealthers, again thats fine, its just how people decide to run, however I see people complaining about X, Y and Z. Allow me to try and clarify a few things here. I think the general complaint with Herorius, is that he'll happily pve the keeps all day, ahead of prime time hours, and he'll have anywhere from 30-60 people during those hours, albs and mids cant compete.

However, this can also be said for US prime on the flipside, hibs don't have the numbers to compete. (I guess this just shows that people play hib more because of hero, and therefore when he's not on, they go back to their "primary" realm??(maybe) ) Albs lost alot of people, it seems as though alot of the main zerg players on alb dont play as often, or at all, and they've lost their competitive edge, and as a mid, from my point of view its difficult, because we have the numbers, but hitting a keep with albs (or anyone) camping inside, is difficult. Again, same can be said if you're attacking a hib camped keep, or a mid camped keep, it goes all ways.

Personally, I think that there is not much can be done about this, you can make keeps easier to take, but then the defending realm would eventually stop trying, or you can make it more difficult to defend, and nobody will attack. The only way to solve this is with more open field fights, but again, with number differences you cannot hope that a BG outnumbered by 20-30 people for example, will be enthusiastic about running into a larger zerg.

There are other reasons for why people wont defend or attack keeps, EU or US prime, and there are plenty of reasons people dont want to fight open field. I think we as a DAOC community, forget about our hard loyalty to whichever realm we're on, and focus on the bigger picture, we need to act as a community rather than our traditional Realm vs Realm, and do more together to push this game in the right direction, I think too often, as players, we're happy to say " X realm is killing this game, they need to change X class or change X mechanic " and maybe sometimes thats correct, but I think we need to just somehow come together with an overall plan to improve zerg warfare, or just stop trying altogether.

Feel free to agree or disagree, happy to respond to any comments or questions about what I've said.

Regards,
    Silentt
  • Solicfear1 wrote: »
    So does the Mid/alb zerg at US prime-time reason it's pointless to run the Hibernia zerg because we get totally outnumbered.

There isn't anything unfair in this game accept it's just at different time zones. Herorius is Xyorman during US prime-time where he outnumbers the Hibs and sometimes albs. In fact there isn't a hib zerg at US prime-time because it's pointless the way the RvR system is at the moment with keeps and towers hard to take.

The difference is during US prime there are often 2 zergs on and I've seen a gradual increase in Hib numbers during US also. There are not typically more than one zerg on during EU prime.
  • However, this can also be said for US prime on the flipside, hibs don't have the numbers to compete. (I guess this just shows that people play hib more because of hero, and therefore when he's not on, they go back to their "primary" realm??(maybe) ) Albs lost alot of people, it seems as though alot of the main zerg players on alb dont play as often, or at all, and they've lost their competitive edge, and as a mid, from my point of view its difficult, because we have the numbers, but hitting a keep with albs (or anyone) camping inside, is difficult. Again, same can be said if you're attacking a hib camped keep, or a mid camped keep, it goes all ways.

Personally, I think that there is not much can be done about this, you can make keeps easier to take, but then the defending realm would eventually stop trying, or you can make it more difficult to defend, and nobody will attack. The only way to solve this is with more open field fights, but again, with number differences you cannot hope that a BG outnumbered by 20-30 people for example, will be enthusiastic about running into a larger zerg.

There are other reasons for why people wont defend or attack keeps, EU or US prime, and there are plenty of reasons people dont want to fight open field. I think we as a DAOC community, forget about our hard loyalty to whichever realm we're on, and focus on the bigger picture, we need to act as a community rather than our traditional Realm vs Realm, and do more together to push this game in the right direction, I think too often, as players, we're happy to say " X realm is killing this game, they need to change X class or change X mechanic " and maybe sometimes thats correct, but I think we need to just somehow come together with an overall plan to improve zerg warfare, or just stop trying altogether.

Feel free to agree or disagree, happy to respond to any comments or questions about what I've said.

Regards,
    Silentt

I mean you call for unity while playing on the realm that starts before the other realm's zerg, makes sure that it has the complete advantage by capturing ports to Hib, Alb, and EV, sends stealthers to tail the other zerg to ensure they 100% always hit from the best possible vantage point, and ultimately circles next to ports to ensure they can port to wherever the other zerg is heading to AJ while refusing to initiate any action. The notion that you want the realms to come together and "improve zerg warfare" is amusing.
  • We can back and forth discuss all we want - we can only control the player portion of this. I'd say that mostly comes down to looking around and realizing when you should play another realm to balance things out - or just not use 3-4fg to chase down errant soloers and smallman groups. Red is dead is fine, but use the same mindset as they do for game managent. You can't murder every buck and doe in the forest then expect them to magically reappear.

That aside, I'm more interested in what Broadsword is looking at doing or has the capability of doing. I haven't heard much, and there isn't much point jawing about large scale ideas if all they're capable of doing is a few small scale changes here and there. Adding doors to the oil level may be a nice start, and some sort of incentive mission sounds interesting but it doesn't really cover most of the issues people have voiced.

We'll see I guess?

As for open field PvP... I've got no idea. I play one of two realms, and I never switch to the winning side because that's ridiculous. I don't enjoy PvEing keeps, but I also don't enjoy defending a keep that is a likely loss knowing I won't get much if I can't kill anybody - and when you are out numbered and surrounded that gets a bit tricky. If they've got enough healers hiding out of LoS in walls, it can get real boring real fast.

Now that I think of it, most of the frustrating aspects come from people being healed by people entirely out of sight. Reducing the strength of those heals, increasing power cost, putting them on a timer, reducing healing done when not in LoS to who you are healing... those are just starter ideas, but I think that'd be one of the biggest positives for siege RvR. Having healers need to risk more to keep everyone alive. It gives defenders a chance to pick off people who stray too far from their healers. It works against both defenders and attacker, but arguably more against attackers due to the defenders being on fortifications.
  • Sovereign wrote: »
    However, this can also be said for US prime on the flipside, hibs don't have the numbers to compete. (I guess this just shows that people play hib more because of hero, and therefore when he's not on, they go back to their "primary" realm??(maybe) ) Albs lost alot of people, it seems as though alot of the main zerg players on alb dont play as often, or at all, and they've lost their competitive edge, and as a mid, from my point of view its difficult, because we have the numbers, but hitting a keep with albs (or anyone) camping inside, is difficult. Again, same can be said if you're attacking a hib camped keep, or a mid camped keep, it goes all ways.

Regards,
    Silentt

I mean you call for unity while playing on the realm that starts before the other realm's zerg, makes sure that it has the complete advantage by capturing ports to Hib, Alb, and EV, sends stealthers to tail the other zerg to ensure they 100% always hit from the best possible vantage point, and ultimately circles next to ports to ensure they can port to wherever the other zerg is heading to AJ while refusing to initiate any action. The notion that you want the realms to come together and "improve zerg warfare" is amusing.

No realm is perfect, you play the realm that sits in beno 24/7, i mean I could be petty about this as you have been, I'm trying to be constructive here, yet you seem to just want to treat this like a joke, dont respond if you're not going to contribute to try and help. I mean, Hibs start 4 hours before mids on EU time, and take beno/bold/rens & bled/glen/fens. This is my whole point, instead of playing the blame game, like you're doing, because you've got some grudge or something. We can sit here all day and say X realm does Y, we won't get anywhere. Just because the realm I play does something, doesn't mean i'm in agreement.
  • Sovereign wrote: »

Regards,
    Silentt

No realm is perfect, you play the realm that sits in beno 24/7, i mean I could be petty about this as you have been, I'm trying to be constructive here, yet you seem to just want to treat this like a joke, dont respond if you're not going to contribute to try and help. I mean, Hibs start 4 hours before mids on EU time, and take beno/bold/rens & bled/glen/fens. This is my whole point, instead of playing the blame game, like you're doing, because you've got some grudge or something. We can sit here all day and say X realm does Y, we won't get anywhere. Just because the realm I play does something, doesn't mean i'm in agreement.

I'm not treating this like a joke I'm merely pointing out some of the factors that contribute to the current state of things. It's all well and good to put out a vague statement such as, "we should all unify" yet you provide no ideas or examples that might actually help the issues being discussed. Also, it's ridiculous to try to say the EU Hib zerg gets on 4 hours before the US zergs and try to liken it to what I described as that is an entirely different prime time, not just an example of one realm setting the odds in their favor in advance of prime.