UI Features Request

This is a thread to post game interface improvements people would like to see. I will add a few I'd enjoy:

- Sprint toggle - on/off until out of end or you press it a second time. Having to continually hit sprint is tiresome - hard on your joints and your mouse/keyboard.

- Please fix the compass loop. N by NW is messed up. Kort explained why, but this didn't used to be an issue in the old days. It's unpleasant.

- In the standard UI, Champion Level dependencies are not displaying correctly. It works fine in Kort's and my own, but it really ought to be fixed in the Atlantis UI.

- Hotbars to - and + please - That would open up 6 new buttons, very helpful these days with all the "must-have" use items.

- Show group members in the realm war map. This was something people wanted way back in the old days when I first played.

- More slots for showing pet buffs. This would really help UI devs.

- Ability to hold 999 plat on one character please!!!

Thanks! If anyone else has any ideas please post them up.
- The derision of your enemies is the highest possible form of praise.

- I intend to coarsen. I want stark contrasts drawn. I want polarization. I will not quietly accept clown-world so as not to upset anyone. I am not tolerant of our impending and increasing slavery.

Comments

• edited July 2023 PM
    -a button to lock windows in place so they cannot be dragged or moved
    -a button to close all open UI/delve windows like the popup you get if you r click something. It's quite hard to click the little x sometimes.

The plat cap is due to how the data is stored as an integer and caps out at 2147483647 copper
    Post edited by Shieldla on
  • I haven't thought of anything to add yet, but I want to add my support for all of the changes mentioned so far, especially the sprint toggle, expanded hotbars, and lockable windows. These would be great quality of life improvements.
  • edited August 2023 PM
    Ability to:
    - stack any item in your bag/vault
    - sell whole bag slots
    - port next to kings room in Camelot like other realms do
    - hold more quests in journal
    -easy access to chars on different ywain servers in same realm without having to log all the way out
    Post edited by Stinkycheeseman on
  • - Ability to rearrange the characters on the character selection list
    - Larger stack size limit for crafting supplies

I like Stinkycheesman's ideas. For the port near the king's room in Camelot, hopefully it would be additional rather than moving one of the existing ones since having them right at the bank and crafting area is really handy. Maybe there could be a port from the crafting area to the king's room and back.
  • -Wider x,y,z radius on crafting benches in the house so we can craft anywhere within our houses
  • I'd like to request players. Having something to fight in a PvP game is always nice. More players please...
  • Improving the UI to make it less dated could contribute to there being more players. The UI as it is does little to encourage new players to stick around. Many of the things that have been requested have been standard with newer games for well over a decade and at this stage the game needs to try to attract players from these games since they're where the largest number of players are. DOAC isn't primarily competing with first generation games like UO, EQ, and AC anymore and even if it was the two that are still around give the impression of being in much more active development. UO has a new shard with a custom rule set harkening back to the original game and EQ still gets yearly full expansions. DAOC needs to give more of an impression that it is moving forward with hopes to once again become a significant player in the market rather than that the game is being maintained on life support.
  • Elspeth wrote: »
    Improving the UI to make it less dated could contribute to there being more players. The UI as it is does little to encourage new players to stick around. Many of the things that have been requested have been standard with newer games for well over a decade and at this stage the game needs to try to attract players from these games since they're where the largest number of players are. DOAC isn't primarily competing with first generation games like UO, EQ, and AC anymore and even if it was the two that are still around give the impression of being in much more active development. UO has a new shard with a custom rule set harkening back to the original game and EQ still gets yearly full expansions. DAOC needs to give more of an impression that it is moving forward with hopes to once again become a significant player in the market rather than that the game is being maintained on life support.

That's a good way to phrase it, but its a hard sell i think bringing truly new players in. Nobody will really want to group them in today's RVR. I try to take people who have been away a long time or seem to be "new" around on dopp runs sometimes and TBH most groups, worth the time investment, would just boot them rather than coach (If they ever even gave them a chance to invite). There's a lot of ground a "New" player would have to catch up on, and we don't have a good mechanism for doing that with the small veteran population. Its not impossible to succeed, but I would give most new players maybe a 1% chance of doing so with the current setting. I read that this might just be a toxic Albion thing though so who knows.

They need to update their business model too and make EC players more than glorified realm guards. I would probably quit in a week trying to RVR as an EC account with no bonuses, equipment restrictions, potion restrictions, no cl abilities and other handicaps. Its a terrible way to introduce people to the game because they are not getting a fair chance to compete right from the beginning.
  • The EC restrictions are definitely a road block to retaining new players. I think they would be much better off removing most of the restrictions and replacing them with modified experience requirements for EC players that increases as a character moves up through realm ranks, master levels, and champion levels (with champion abilities active). This could start at needing double experience and scale up to needing 5 or even 10 times as much. There would still be a strong incentive to subscribe, but EC players would no longer be reaching a dead end in their progress at a point where they can clearly see that they are unlikely to ever be truly competitive.

In my opinion, subscribing should be something a player wants to do for the various perks a subscription brings rather than something they feel like they have to do in order to be competitive. Other mmorpgs I play tend to offer much more in terms of quality of life improvements as part of their subscription packages. In other words, they focus more on rewarding players who subscribe rather than effectively punishing those who don't which is something that I think DAOC should give a try.