Getting restarted

New returnee to the game - I'm finding it hard to get restarted. Its been a long time since I left - 10+ years?

One of my favorite characters when I departed was a Friar that I ran solo, to the degree that a specific character class matters.

Some questions and impediments I'm running into:
- I needed to ask somebody that ran by (good thing that somebody ran by) how to get out of the housing zone that I zoned into in Ywain. Suggestion - update the getting started guide to point people to the Market Channeler to get out of that zone, and to the capital city / King for that catch up gear.

- Is there any way to resize the UI? I finally figured out how to resize the chat box so I could read what was going on. The map is unusably small for me. The toolbars and character / inventory / etc.. window is unusably small. The default doesn't need to change - I'd just like to be able to scale it up. At least 2x and maybe more.

- Specing info. I finally figured out that the Rejuv and Enhance spec lines for the Friar are defaults - it seems I get those regardless, and then their corresponding spec. lines are stuff I'll spend points on. That was mostly guesswork - I haven't found anything that talks about that dynamic. Do other classes also have "freebie" spec lines that are level dependent, and then other lines that they spend spec points on?

- Also on specing, is there a pointer / forum that talks about ideas for how to spec a character? I remember a few bits and bobs from way back when, but barely enough to have a reasonable guess at what a decent spec might be. I am partly hampered by an apparent change in the # of spec points -- I remember that only 1 line could be L50 and that was a pretty big sacrifice to go that far. Now I can get 2 lines to 50 and have a few points left over. I'll take some specific ideas I'm considering over to the Friar forum.

- I see that Friars have a spec line "Parrying" with no further details. Do other classes have "shield", "evade", and similar? More importantly - when I put points into Parry, what does that do for me?

I've held off even specing the character, much less trying to leave Camelot and kill a rabbit. I may be able to plow through getting restarted - this is difficult enough that I'm having a hard time imagining very many people making the attempt.

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome back.

Your best bet is to join the official discord so you can get real-time answers to any questions you may have. https://discord.gg/daoc

The official website has a returning players guide that can be helpful to get you started and somewhat familiar with the path to 50 and end game.
    https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/returning-players

There is an unofficial character planner that is mostly accurate which you can use to help gauge what abilities each class has (both baseline and specializations).
    http://www.excidio.net/charplaner/

There is also an unofficial template builder and database that players still use.
    https://www.daocutils.com/

Good luck.
  • bahzi wrote: »
    - Is there any way to resize the UI? I finally figured out how to resize the chat box so I could read what was going on. The map is unusably small for me. The toolbars and character / inventory / etc.. window is unusably small. The default doesn't need to change - I'd just like to be able to scale it up. At least 2x and maybe more.
    Yes there is see https://www.prondrknorr.com/how-to-scale-daoc-ui/
    bahzi wrote: »
    - Specing info. I finally figured out that the Rejuv and Enhance spec lines for the Friar are defaults - it seems I get those regardless, and then their corresponding spec. lines are stuff I'll spend points on. That was mostly guesswork - I haven't found anything that talks about that dynamic. Do other classes also have "freebie" spec lines that are level dependent, and then other lines that they spend spec points on?
    Support classes and list casters (robe casters) get baseline spells for free as they level up. These spells are either weaker versions of the specialized spells or provide the basic spells like buffs and cures.
    - Also on specing, is there a pointer / forum that talks about ideas for how to spec a character? I remember a few bits and bobs from way back when, but barely enough to have a reasonable guess at what a decent spec might be. I am partly hampered by an apparent change in the # of spec points -- I remember that only 1 line could be L50 and that was a pretty big sacrifice to go that far. Now I can get 2 lines to 50 and have a few points left over. I'll take some specific ideas I'm considering over to the Friar forum.
    Go find the Daoc discord (available through a link on the daoc webpage). There, you will find a #spec-help channel where you can get basic spec suggestions for your class. In the case of a friar, type !friar.
    - I see that Friars have a spec line "Parrying" with no further details. Do other classes have "shield", "evade", and similar? More importantly - when I put points into Parry, what does that do for me?
    Putting points in the parry skill increases your chance to parry by 0.5% per point invested. You don't get abilities, it's a passive improvement to your ability to parry attacks.

Other classes get to spec in shield, but the difference with shield is that you get shield styles on top of the defense bonus.

• Group spec for Friar is 50 Enhance, 48 Rejuv, 18 Staff, 8 Parry.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Thank you all for the detailed and helpful responses! That'll keep me busy tonight. Maybe even get me out rabbit hunting :open_mouth:

I've been using the returning players guide - that's gotten me as far as I have. If I were going to suggest improvements / updates to the guide, any idea where / how I'd do that? I've seen a number of other "returning player" posts, and I know what has had me stuck getting restarted; maybe I can suggest some additions to help others return more easily.
  • bahzi wrote: »
    ..I've been using the returning players guide - that's gotten me as far as I have....

In addition to the helpful soul that pointed me to the channeler, and the helpful Friar in Camelot that showed me where to find the trainer :blush:

• Thanks all for the tips. I got the UI scaled up a bit - the map is still nearly unusable, but the rest is a lot better.

I have some more questions !

I would like to get 2 of the no-modifier quickbars on the screen - how do I do that? I have 3 on the screen right now, but the other 2 are associated with ctrl and alt.

Is there some way to assign keys to the quickbars without using the /qbind command? I'm used to having these all listed in a keybind interface, and typing out /qbind commands for all of keystrokes seems laborious. And in a related question - will these /qbind carry over to other characters or do I get to repeat?

Is there something up with the Discord server? I can't get connected to Discord at all today, and had no trouble a couple days back.

I am increasingly persuaded to go start off an L1 Friar if only to learn game and UI mechanics.
  • Are you saying you want 5 qbars instead of 3? You can only have the 3. As for the discord, it's been working fine for me so not sure
  • I figured out the discord problem - it was a discord thing. For those that run into discord not starting up on windows, its easy to find via search. The solution was to go kill discord tasks and then try again.
  • You can rescale/resize the UI from in-game, the feature was added last year but you would have had to read the release notes as there is no tutorial explaining how to use it in-game and better documentation could have been provided.

Here is a youtube link. I am running at 2560x1080 resolution but can re-scale the UI in game.