Future of Gaheris

As a long time Gaheris player I have been curious what the future holds for Gaheris. I play mostly in a timezone where there have been times I'm the only player on the server (that I can tell). I know that there have been discussions around server transfers in the past. Particularly when Mordred closed and Damien was working hard to keep both alternate rule sets alive there was talk about letting ywain to gaheris and gaheris to ywain transfers. I'm someone who disagrees with this notion. I had mordred characters and I'm truly sad that that server has gone. Sure the numbers were low and at times the population was often its own worst enemy however that aspect being gone has eliminated an element of DAOC that made DAOC the game it was in its prime.

Other than pve events or content like the relic keeps can you share anything that you believe will boost Gaheris's player base or its value to the greater daoc community?

Tagged:

Comments

• If there is anything I can help with regarding Gaheris, let me know! Just keep in mind that I am no dev, so my abilities are limited. I have a very soft spot for Gaheris though so hoping for some ideas!
    DAoC German Community Admin
    Broadsword Online Games

Shileahs Camelot-Kompendium - DAoC-Infos auf Deutsch
    Shileah of House Dara, the First of Her name, the Unressed, Master of Stickloss, Queen of Inc-Screams, Purge-Fails and lost Line of Sight, Breaker of Mezz, Mother of Doggo
  • In my opinion the Gaheris server should've been folded into Ywain a long time ago. However, with the Endless Conquest accounts on their way, Gaheris provides a unique opportunity. There's multiple ways free accounts can be steered to help the population of Gaheris and overall the game. It will be interesting to see if Gaheris is considered when Endless Conquest makes its debut.
    RR12 Stormlord Wizard
    RR12 Warlord Cleric
    RR12 Warlord Minstrel
    RR12 Warlord Necromancer
    RR12 Perfector Heretic
  • I would LOVE to see the catas open back up, put the dragon campaign somewhere else. There were many items that was farmed and needed from the catas and to have them closed is horrible! Please reopen them.
  • Maybe we can make Gaheris part of the free to play package?
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • edited April 28 PM
    I wouldn't see any issue allowing characters from Ywain, to transfer to Gaheris. I could talk a few people in playing, if they didn't have to level a new toon. However, I don't think it should go the other direction.

I would really like to see something done with the relics, that allowed some kind of timed bonus for the realm. I also think it would be great if you could actually take a keep, claim it and have that start some kind of encounter involving keep defense.

I played Gaheris ages ago, when there was actually some population there. I remember it being pretty fun when there were raids and more involvement. I just started playing there again a few weeks ago and have never seen more than 20 people on at once. I see a lot of potential to create some good content and generate some population on Gaheris.
    Post edited by Bionge on
  • One of the advantages of Gaheris is that the Trophies from all realms can be farmed. It is a great pity that there are no tool-tips. If you want to see the name of a trophy of your own you have to pick it up - other characters' trophies you can never see the info.
    I cannot also see any good reason that different trophies have the same appearance (eg, Barracuda & Voracious Barracuda) - even a difference in size or colour could be implemented.
    I would also like to see some way of getting the original Yar and Maldahar trophies back.
  • I would LOVE to see the catas open back up, put the dragon campaign somewhere else. There were many items that was farmed and needed from the catas and to have them closed is horrible! Please reopen them.

I would add to this the Underground Forest/ Abandoned Mines/Darkspire etc etc. Closing them was a big mistake for solo players.

• Boude wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see the catas open back up, put the dragon campaign somewhere else. There were many items that was farmed and needed from the catas and to have them closed is horrible! Please reopen them.

I would add to this the Underground Forest/ Abandoned Mines/Darkspire etc etc. Closing them was a big mistake for solo players.

If you have the ability to port there (requires a previous visit) you can still port to the little town. most of the content is still there but some is gone. I can still get to underground forest and enter darkspire, but all the npc characters and the bind stone thing are gone there.
  • edited June 25 PM
    I know this thread is sorta old, and with the low population, it's almost moot at this point. I do have some input on this, and it's not any flight of fancy.

Gaharis is supposed to be (and is now) a PvE only ruleset. I've read on other game forums about the amount of Battle Arenas coming out, that most modern games (like Black Desert Online) force people into PvP even if they don't care for it. Do you know that BDO has a huge population of lvl 49s? Why? Because 49 and lower are protected from world pvp, and while there are a lot of folks who like pvp, the masses who don't care for it are floating out there, looking for a game they can go to the end of without killing other players. I should know, I'm one of them.

So, what is this solution?
    1. You're not going to get anymore players with a hidden game. I say hidden because I can't find it anywhere beyond word of mouth. Do you think I can go on Origin and see DAoC advertised? Nope. Only the game time is sold there, but the link to the game's sales page doesn't exist on Origin. I do a search for Dark Age of Camelot, all I get are time codes being offered. Put in a sales landing page where gamers can check out the description, let them know that there are two rules sets, PvE and RvR and you may actually start building a player base again.
    2. Stop relying on social media as a main course of awareness. Social Media alone may be a trend setter for politics and news, but this is a game, not a political trend or CNN. Get some visibility anywhere else there are people who play computer games, give them a chance to see it. Outdated game curse? Make it known what I just discovered. There is PvE questing, there is a non-RvR server, and it can be FUN again.
    3. I've actually run into gamers who think **** is the only DAoC left. Not one, or five, but a guild of 450+ people who were shocked to beans to learn that DAoC Live got questing added back in. You see, most people who used to play, me included at one time, thought all PvE was stripped out and it was reduced to a RvR only game. With all the questing I've done on a few Ywain and on Gaharis, that isn't true. You NEED to tailor a campaign to reveal that to everyone else. They, like me only a week ago, didn't even know a tutorial island was put in!
    4. A lot of people dislike EA, they have killed good games before. Earth and Beyond anybody? So I was surprised to see the Broadsword brand. That is actually what made me look into DAoC again, by the way. I stumbled across it by accident, doing a search to prove something to a friend that I used to play it, etc. So when I saw that landing page with my own surprised eyes, and I went there, I was like hmm. Keep relying on accidental re-discoveries, the game will vanish, I can assure you of that.
    5. Stop talking about it in dark offices. Just go out and do it! Get a landing page on Origin! Get a landing page on Steam, GoG and anywhere else that will let you set a landing page, and get this thing in front of Gamers again! Write to IGN and tell them of the changes, invite them to play and ask them to review the newer quests out there. Some who played before will come back. Others who never played before will give it a try. Some may even stay and play! It won't happen unless you make it happen.

Fine, I know, it's a lot of effort and talk. Final challenge. I dare you to do it. Put the game out there beyond the barely findable website and go beyond social media. If you do not step out of the dark and into the light, you're not going to get new players, let alone returning ones. You have a brand. You're not promoting it properly. I would have LOVED to know there was still PvE content in the game, and that includes Gaharis.

Oh, FYI: Just to hear that "Gaharis is still alive" from anywhere gamers tend to shop would have brought me back YEARS ago.
    Post edited by Xarduvik on