GoFundMe Proposal to Broadsword

Problem: Use of cheats, hacks or "tools" in RvR goes unpunished.

It is no secret that players on a private server are returning to Ywain after being banned there, yet are able to profit on live as cheating goes largely (if not universally) unpunished. (See also threads "Returning to Ywain because 'bored' or 'private server dying'")

Thesis: Low subscriber numbers leads to the strategic decision to not rigorously enforce cheating, as it leads to loss of revenue.

Solution: Establish a GoFundMe where we can "sponsor a cheater" to be banned. The revenue can be used to stabilize Broadsword cash flow.

The solution is sustainable as customers will no longer quit the game in disgust at end game RvR, leading to long term stabilization and growth.
Tagged:

Comments

  • I dont know about anyone else, but im sure as hell not going to pay to get someone banned. I have had numerous people call me out for cheating. Imagine if all these people pay to get me falsly banned.
  • name change and banned accounts allowed to return have helped the dirt return..................
  • those players wit the skills :)
  • Mctana wrote: »
    Problem: Use of cheats, hacks or "tools" in RvR goes unpunished.

    It is no secret that players on a private server are returning to Ywain after being banned there, yet are able to profit on live as cheating goes largely (if not universally) unpunished. (See also threads "Returning to Ywain because 'bored' or 'private server dying'")

    Thesis: Low subscriber numbers leads to the strategic decision to not rigorously enforce cheating, as it leads to loss of revenue.

    Solution: Establish a GoFundMe where we can "sponsor a cheater" to be banned. The revenue can be used to stabilize Broadsword cash flow.

    The solution is sustainable as customers will no longer quit the game in disgust at end game RvR, leading to long term stabilization and growth.

    Maybe you should go run one of the other freeshards. Horrid Idea !
  • It makes the top 2 of the worst ideas ever submitted on the boards, just behind Muy's idea of giving healers a spec dd and a charmable pet
  • Sorry but no, this wouldn't be an avenue for violations we'd look at :) Appeal any behaviour you find suspicious and our CS team will investigate :)
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • edited September 23 PM
    Let me quote someone far more literate in programming (Mojo by Rob):

    "Broadsword can remove these programs from this list at any time by stopping them from working.

    This would be extremely easy — extremely — for them to do.

    Third party programs have never been the problem. The problem has always been Mythic and Broadsword. Instead of paying a programmer for a few hours work to disable cheat programs, which would cost a few hundred dollars, they prefer to pay CSRs for hundreds of hours of work to terminate customer accounts, which has cost them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Does this sound sensible to you? Does it make any sense at all?"

    I can't count how many times I've seen people use the working Multihack, but if you careful and not many catches it you are good to go, bored appealing, I sit on my footages rather. Sorry, but when an illegal version of the game get's rid of this better then live, theres a problem.

    BTW, it was a joke idea by Mctana I guess, but a funny one.

    Edit: There's plenty of ppl came back to live after being banned at the other option.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • It's an interesting suggestion but they'd likely never go with it.
    As for Gavner's reply in reference to what Rob from Mojo stated:
    Gavner wrote: »
    Let me quote someone far more literate in programming (Mojo by Rob):

    "Broadsword can remove these programs from this list at any time by stopping them from working.

    This would be extremely easy — extremely — for them to do.

    Third party programs have never been the problem. The problem has always been Mythic and Broadsword. Instead of paying a programmer for a few hours work to disable cheat programs, which would cost a few hundred dollars, they prefer to pay CSRs for hundreds of hours of work to terminate customer accounts, which has cost them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Does this sound sensible to you? Does it make any sense at all?"

    I can't count how many times I've seen people use the working Multihack, but if you careful and not many catches it you are good to go, bored appealing, I sit on my footages rather. Sorry, but when an illegal version of the game get's rid of this better then live, theres a problem.
    .....
    Edit: There's plenty of ppl came back to live after being banned at the other option.
    (And plenty continue to use cheat programs back on Live).

    Would you care to respond to the above Carol?
    Certainly taking proactive measures to disable cheat programs and the like would encourage those players who abandoned Live on principle to consider to return. These are the loyal players that FTP aren't likely to recapture - especially when money wasn't the principle that they quit in the first place.

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Founder/GM of Ásatrúar, guild of Miðgarðr
    In defense of the Original Spirit of Daoc
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    True to Miðgarðr c.2001
    daocutils.com/chimp/jlfrthjo
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • I wonder if they will IP ban cheaters once F2P hits, because if not a lot will make free accounts to run around speedhacking their life away
  • Shoke wrote: »
    I wonder if they will IP ban cheaters once F2P hits, because if not a lot will make free accounts to run around speedhacking their life away

    Broadsword doesn't Ban IP'S, that's Vivien that does that. A Very Controlling snake of a women.
  • Sorry but we don't comment on things we do code/game wise on programs.

    If you suspect suspicious behaviour please make sure to appeal them ingame using the appeal system, and/or forward any evidence to support@broadsword.com, thanks!
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Gavner wrote: »
    Let me quote someone far more literate in programming (Mojo by Rob):

    "Broadsword can remove these programs from this list at any time by stopping them from working.

    This would be extremely easy — extremely — for them to do.

    Third party programs have never been the problem. The problem has always been Mythic and Broadsword. Instead of paying a programmer for a few hours work to disable cheat programs, which would cost a few hundred dollars, they prefer to pay CSRs for hundreds of hours of work to terminate customer accounts, which has cost them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Does this sound sensible to you? Does it make any sense at all?"

    I can't count how many times I've seen people use the working Multihack, but if you careful and not many catches it you are good to go, bored appealing, I sit on my footages rather. Sorry, but when an illegal version of the game get's rid of this better then live, theres a problem.

    BTW, it was a joke idea by Mctana I guess, but a funny one.

    Edit: There's plenty of ppl came back to live after being banned at the other option.

    Some of that is flat out wrong or outdated.

    1) This comment was made during the time macro software was banned and radar was rampant. Neither of these are issues anymore (radar hasn't been functional for awhile now) and macro tools are legal use under specific conditions.

    2) It's easy for a developer of unsanctioned launcher software to make sweeping claims about issues he doesn't have to face. He doesn't have to deal with the legal issues that are involved when your software acts as a sentinel and kills other applications. Furthermore, the dude has been toxic and a nuisance for years because Mythic at the time didn't want to support his stuff.

    3) DAoC is primarily a client-side dependent game due to it's age. There's a very good reason why MMO's (or even most multiplayer games) don't develop this via this method any longer.

    4) I 100% agree that enforcement of rules / bans for violations needs to be stepped up. The fact that known cheaters can purchase new accounts to bypass bans shouldn't be allowed. However, I don't know what's involved, or what ways this could be improved. I think it's important to keep offering constructive/i] feedback about how cheating / rules are handled. I would definitely like to see more conversation about this post F2P and how Broadsword intends to handle the increased population's cheating issues.


  • Ciddire wrote: »
    1) This comment was made during the time macro software was banned and radar was rampant. Neither of these are issues anymore (radar hasn't been functional for awhile now) and macro tools are legal use under specific conditions.

    How reliable is this intel that radar isn't working any more? I ask because while I don't see it myself these days I do still see people throwing around radar accusations almost daily, and at people I play with at that. I'd love to know if this is 100% confirmed so that the accusers can be informed of such and stop wasting their energy.
Sign In or Register to comment.