Question about damage types...

So a buddy of mine and myself were talking last night about damage types. We were discussing about using blades on an inf and how we should probably supplement our blade weapons with a heat, energy, and cold leggies to make sure you have a positive matchup in fights. This got us talking about dmg types and I was explaining to him that when using a leggie weapon it is no longer slash/pierce/crush but instead it is essentially magic dmg. He asked a great question and that was, if that is the case then does your strength (blade/crush) or str/dex (pierce) play a factor in the dmg when using leggie weapons? You would think that it wouldn't since you are no longer using a mele dmg type, but instead using a elemental dmg type. However, if that was the case then you wouldn't need to spec any str or dex to help out your dmg if you ran strictly leggie weapons.

Can anyone explain how the stats like strength and dex work in how much dmg you do when using a legendary weapon?

Comments

• What makes you think the leggie isn't slash or crush? Are you not aware you can wield diff types?

Then the weapon has to proc... .....
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • On an Inf you can use slash leggies or thrust leggies (same as a NS). Slash are str based, Thrust are Dex/str (50/50), just like non-leggy weapons.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • RonELuvv wrote: »
    So a buddy of mine and myself were talking last night about damage types. We were discussing about using blades on an inf and how we should probably supplement our blade weapons with a heat, energy, and cold leggies to make sure you have a positive matchup in fights. This got us talking about dmg types and I was explaining to him that when using a leggie weapon it is no longer slash/pierce/crush but instead it is essentially magic dmg. He asked a great question and that was, if that is the case then does your strength (blade/crush) or str/dex (pierce) play a factor in the dmg when using leggie weapons? You would think that it wouldn't since you are no longer using a mele dmg type, but instead using a elemental dmg type. However, if that was the case then you wouldn't need to spec any str or dex to help out your dmg if you ran strictly leggie weapons.

Can anyone explain how the stats like strength and dex work in how much dmg you do when using a legendary weapon?

Ehh, I don't know the details but from what I recall (and could be wrong) the weapon itself is based off of the physical type. So for instance I'd need 400str and be slash spec - lvl51+ - to maximize the effectiveness of using a slash based leggie weapon.
  • It's simple, theres a weapon type, and a damage type. Changing damage type doesn't change the weapon type and it's stats required.

For example in alb, slashing weapon, slashing damage is the usual, and slashing weapon energy damage is a leggy. Look at Large Weapons on hib for example, a weapon type can be multiple damage type.
  • It’s the same as an archer using different arrow dmg or a sb using bludgeon. Just hanged the dmg type. The basebweapon is still there. Now if you used a thrust heat LW while spec’d andntemplated for slash then you wouldn’t be able to use your slash styles while wielding the thruster.
  • Keep in mind most are sitting at 36% with CL resists, also don’t bother hitting any main tanks or classes with self casted resists with Leggies.
  • Yeah. I usually only swap leggies in if I see huge slash resists on shades and rangers. The debuff procs a lot and can knock those 36% down lower than a slasher debuffer can
  • So just to clear this up a bit, even though a legendary blade will do elemental dmg it is still strength based, correct?

• RonELuvv wrote: »
    So just to clear this up a bit, even though a legendary blade will do elemental dmg it is still strength based, correct?

Right click the legendary weapon, it will say slash or thrust. Slash = Str based, Thrust = Str/Dex

Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Use Heat leggies on leather armor, Energy leggies against Reavers/Minst/Merc/Thane/Skald, and Cold leggies for BMs/Champs/Rangers/Scouts/Zerks/Hunters/Savages.

Any other class I haven't mentioned isn't worth using leggies on because of their higher magic resists. For Vamps if they cast melee resists buff, use heaters, if they cast magic resists buff first, use your regular melee weapons.

I didn't list healer classes because there is a good chance that these classes are either running in a fg with 50%+ resists to all magic, or for example friars wear leather but they have their 24% heat buff up anyways so it's not very viable.

Hope this helps
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    Use Heat leggies on leather armor, Energy leggies against Reavers/Minst/Merc/Thane/Skald, and Cold leggies for BMs/Champs/Rangers/Scouts/Zerks/Hunters/Savages.

Any other class I haven't mentioned isn't worth using leggies on because of their higher magic resists. For Vamps if they cast melee resists buff, use heaters, if they cast magic resists buff first, use your regular melee weapons.

I didn't list healer classes because there is a good chance that these classes are either running in a fg with 50%+ resists to all magic, or for example friars wear leather but they have their 24% heat buff up anyways so it's not very viable.

Hope this helps

Yup, those are the only 3 I use for the same reasons listed above.
  • edited December 2018 PM
    Oh, I'm aware of what people are weak to. That is what got our conversation going with my buddy last night. He didn't realize that all rangers and NS's were going to be resistant to his blades on his inf. I told him he needed a heater leggie for shades and a cold for rangers, then we got looking at the armor tables and figured heat/energy/cold were the way to go to cover all bases. I then explained that when using leggies weapons its no longer slash/pierce/crush but rather elemental dmg. He then asked how stats worked into that and that was where I was stumped. I had no idea, but figured stats somehow figured into it. I now see what others posted up above.
    Post edited by RonELuvv on
  • Speaking of LW’s. Pm me your mid orders! I’m the cheapest around :)
  • Smart Vamps should cast both up but usually you can figure out if they only cast one. That’s if they don’t claw you to deaf before that ha.
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    Use Heat leggies on leather armor, Energy leggies against Reavers/Minst/Merc/Thane/Skald, and Cold leggies for BMs/Champs/Rangers/Scouts/Zerks/Hunters/Savages.

Hope this helps

why have vamps such a OP resists ? no other class can get resists above 52 %. when using self buffs and using a resists item charge, i'm still capped at 52 % vamps get op resists for free (lets face it vamps can cast all they want, they are not restricted in power anymore)

mid groups with 50+ % resist

no

if you have a mid group with 50 % resist, you have one person in group who can't do damage, is an auxilary healer at best, and who cant CC
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
    Double Post
    Post edited by Daelin on
    Double Post
    Post edited by Daelin on