Mezz and Stun

Stated playing this game when it first came out. It was my idea that led to the new frontiers years ago. This post is not because I am bitter at being killed it is about the fun of competitive combat. There is a major problem in combat n this game and it is mez and stun. There should never be a combat situation where people do not even get a chance to swing at someone or cast a spell. There are a few ways to improve RVR combat and make it enjoyable for all people and all classes. Any and all of these options would vastly improve RVR.

1) Remove AOE mez completely. One person should not have the power to doom a whole group with one spell. Make mez single target only. Then it would have to be used strategically.

2) Reduce the time a person can be mezzed. Being mezzed for over a minute is far too long for fights that are over in a few seconds. 10-15 seconds is sufficent to make a difference plus keep the game entertaining for everyone.

3) Put a timer on mez and stun similar to the skald. As it is now people spam the spell and even if you resist the first you are mezzed by the second or third casting.

4) After a stun or mez the target should be immune to another spell of that type for a period on time. Being mezzed, stunned, mezzed again is no fun at all.

Mez and stun should not be the be all end all of combat. Try a game like Age of Conan. The maximum you can incapacitate someone in pvp combat is 5 seconds and it makes a difference with just that. Every fight you are in you have an effect on. PVP in that game is a lot more entertaining. You are never killed without being able to do a single thing like in DAOC.

Comments

• Roll a heavy tank, OP.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • warduke wrote: »
    1) Remove AOE mez completely. One person should not have the power to doom a whole group with one spell. Make mez single target only. Then it would have to be used strategically.

And what? Give new players to a chance? Ahhh ha ha ha ha. Perish the thought dullard. This game has been anti-noob for 17 years and you think they'll listen to anyone bitching about mezzes and stuns now? AHHH HA HA HA HA. Oh God, do you know how many people have bitched about that and watched it fall on deaf ears? AHHHH HA HA HA HA HA... oh... oh... I hurt myself.

Ok.. ok... whew... that was hilarious...

Look, this game is all about massaging egos. This game has never been about a fair fight. It's always been about making 12-year-olds feel good about themselves which precludes a fair fight. Look, go out to a BG like Molv and stand in bounty point spot and see how many times you get PA'd by the same stealth over and over again, regardless of how many bp you're worth. You get the point? Mez, stuns and whacking you in one hit makes them feel superior. It makes them giggle. Giving you a chance to fight back doesn't. Hell, it's almost as much fun as kicking puppies down the street but costs a lot less... which is what keeps them in business!

• I think the excessive crowd control in this game would definitely deter new folks from playing for long in RVR
  • I’m having a hard time thinking this was a serious post
  • Crowd control is working as intended.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Just saying that CC is one of the reasons this game will never attract NEW players. Purge has no immunity that worth anything. Ok I purge a mez, great, then I’m stunned, snared, then mez timer done then mezzed again. Sure Determination at higher levels will help, but you have to get the realm levels to get it. Most classes have priorities in how they spend their RAs before they can allocate into that.

Fengist is right tho, tho game came down to stroking egos more that attracting folks to this game.
  • It is unlikely that crowd control is the culprit behind low population. Unless I am remembering incorrectly, I do not think crowd control mechanics have changed since vanilla DAoC besides the addition of Ichor and Static Tempest (RIP group purge). There are more methods to dispel/reduce mez, stun, and even root today than ever before. Granted, there are more classes that have multiple forms of crowd control now than in the distant past. Much like the interrupt system for casting, the crowd control mechanics make DAoC unique, in my opinion.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • There is this nifty thing called purge, works well OP. Also det and items to reduce cc.