Thank you DAOC and Albion

I’ve played DAOC since shortly after it’s inception and almost a decade afterward my first daughter was born. Now she is actually 2nd gen DAOC and her wizard Reagana is bad @$$. She has had the privilege to quietly join Nate’s bg a few nights and she can’t stop talking about it. I’m not a crappy father, I do my best to say “earmuffs” when the f-bombs of Discord start flying.

Anyway, this is just a general thank you to Nate and the albs (in addition to those middies and hibbies that kill her - she has to know the whole world doesn’t handout participation trophies for everything) for being so welcoming to someone not even close to teens yet. Watch out for what may one day be the best wiz in all of Albion.
Tagged:

Comments

• Yeah Nate gotta cut down on the language. Don’t wanna sound like a punk ass kid
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Seethyr wrote: »
    I’ve played DAOC since shortly after it’s inception and almost a decade afterward my first daughter was born. Now she is actually 2nd gen DAOC and her wizard Reagana is bad @$$. She has had the privilege to quietly join Nate’s bg a few nights and she can’t stop talking about it. I’m not a crappy father, I do my best to say “earmuffs” when the f-bombs of Discord start flying.

Anyway, this is just a general thank you to Nate and the albs (in addition to those middies and hibbies that kill her - she has to know the whole world doesn’t handout participation trophies for everything) for being so welcoming to someone not even close to teens yet. Watch out for what may one day be the best wiz in all of Albion.

That's awesome- glad she is enjoying it :)
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • This a touching story of a father and his daughter.

I would like to see this in the monthly emails @Carol_Broadsword
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

• Tried to get my 3 sons into it but they prefer sports and fps style games. Now it’s Fortnite or however you spell it. lol
  • My daughters like to run around the relic towns on horses. They’re only 4 and 6 sonthats all they can do for now lol
  • That is so cool :)
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • The Game Changer strikes again. ;)
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Played tonight and then mom snatched her off to bed after less than an hour. I’m looking at divorce proceedings soon. ;-)
    Played tonight and then mom snatched her off to bed after less than an hour. I’m looking at divorce proceedings soon. ;-)

Lol
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters

The fact that you allow your pre-teen daughter to listen to Nate's discord channel is disturbing.
  • edited October 2018 PM
    Sharing the love of the game with your daughter is great, for that I am happy for you.

I am just assuming her age somewhere between 8-10. Everyone does whatever with their children they want, but I would advise others against to make theirs listen to this on Discord at least.

I find it more sad then a cool story to follow, but thats just me. If Nate or any other Zerg leader takes back on this, it would be cool tho. :)

Edit: But tbh its not Nate that should worry about childrens being on his Discord. So once again, I advise against it still.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Just a FYI. Even though it’s not his responsibility to do so, Nate and the rest of the bg agree to keeping the language down while she is on. That’s exactly part of the reason I wrote this thank you. She’s on for exactly one hour of bg time, perhaps once a week due to the fact that bedtime comes up really quick. I think it’s a wonderful thing that so many agree to take a step back to accommodate one person of 2nd gen DAOC.

Even if that were not the case, I think the better father teaches their child that this type of talk is out there, and that they are going to hear it, but they should not participate in it.

Perhaps I could wrap her in a protective bubble?

Nah, I think I’d rather be present to educate her when the words fly, and I’m certainly not skipping the bonding we are enjoying because, you know, the f-word.
  • edited October 2018 PM
    @Seethyr
    "Even though it’s not his responsibility to do so, Nate and the rest of the bg agree to keeping the language down while she is on."

"If Nate or any other Zerg leader takes back on this, it would be cool tho. :)"

As said, taking it in account - however they don't have to - is nice of them. However could you really advise these young people to join these type of discords? I hope not.

But once again, everyone does how they like with their own children, so you have the right to do as you like, but I wont stand saying thats cool, but rather just warn other parents before they think it's a totally normal enviroment for children, so they can decide to let it, or not. I don't think for many parents its a "protective bubble" to not let a children sit in front of a screen listening to adults killing others yelling various of swear words. Of course it's a very nice thing of them if they try to keep it to minimal as possible, not many would do, yet something that not everyone can expect for sure.

Edit: Really last comment on this matter, I hope you two have a great time, don't hate me for warning others tho.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • That is so cool :)

Yes and I try to not to cuss when I know she's with us ! I may let one slip but just remind me :)
    HERORIUS

• JakJak
    edited October 2018 PM
    Areir wrote: »
    Seethyr wrote: »

The fact that you allow your pre-teen daughter to listen to Nate's discord channel is disturbing.

Though I really like the idea of getting kids involved in the game (I had my sons crafting stuff for me when they were little, they loved it!), I personally would never allow them to get into a voice chat with said person or someone like Pain (no offence my foulmouthed friend).

It is not the f-words or cussing that is bothersome, kids are going to hear it and have to realize that though it is out there, they have to learn what is acceptable or not. It's the derogatory and misogynistic behaviour that seems to be acceptable, tolerated and encouraged that is more concerning. None of that is acceptable. Perhaps that should be a conversation that is held as well.

It is great that your daughter is having fun playing her wizzie :)
    Post edited by Jak on
  • Jak wrote: »
    Areir wrote: »

Though I really like the idea of getting kids involved in the game (I had my sons crafting stuff for me when they were little, they loved it!), I personally would never allow them to get into a voice chat with said person or someone like Pain (no offence my foulmouthed friend).

It is not the f-words or cussing that is bothersome, kids are going to hear it and have to realize that though it is out there, they have to learn what is acceptable or not. It's the derogatory and misogynistic behaviour that seems to be acceptable, tolerated and encouraged that is more concerning. None of that is acceptable. Perhaps that should be a conversation that is held as well.

It is great that your daughter is having fun playing her wizzie :)

True, unfortunately with the obsession nowadays over social media (mainly Instagram) it's almost a priority for parents to teach their children about obscenities and vulgarities and understanding them contextually at even earlier ages. The content you can find scrolling through some social media apps for 30 minutes may be a hundredfold worse than what one might here in a games voicecom. Unfortunately there is no more sheltering, unless you're Amish or Mennonite (to a degree).

Just a comparison; 15 years ago, having a cell phone in high school was a big deal (calls only, texting was barely considered "common"). Blackberries were the hot market item simply to share e-mails. Today, kids entering Junior High have multiple social media accounts and can access nearly any form of graphic or adult content on a whim.
  • @Amp_Phetamine BTW, thats 100% parents choice, you know you can't register to Facebook before age of 13 right? Its fine if a parent lets a child have a phone at 2 years old, its their business, yet these things still better be not encouraged.
  • edited October 2018 PM
    True, unfortunately with the obsession nowadays over social media (mainly Instagram) it's almost a priority for parents to teach their children about obscenities and vulgarities and understanding them contextually at even earlier ages. The content you can find scrolling through some social media apps for 30 minutes may be a hundredfold worse than what one might here in a games voicecom. Unfortunately there is no more sheltering, unless you're Amish or Mennonite (to a degree).

That shouldnt really be a problem for someone:
    not even close to teens yet.

Instagram:
    Instagram requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). If your child is younger than 13 and created an account on Instagram, you can show them how to delete their account.

Facebook:
    Facebook requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). Creating an account with false info is a violation of our terms. This includes accounts registered on the behalf of someone under 13.

Twitter:
    Twitter's rules prohibit anyone under the age of 13 to create accounts

So preteens shouldnt even be on social media

Anyway i shall pull my hand back out from this hornets nest, have fun ! ;)
    Post edited by Vrisslar on
  • I can only imagine the excitement of a game like DAOC when I was young. Esp if my dad let me play with him.
    Nintendo/Atari graphics weren't like this !

I could easily be muted on his daughters computer if he felt it necessary.
    HERORIUS

• edited October 2018 PM
    @Natebruner I should be out here as promissed, but I do not think you did anything wrong just to make clear. Rather nice thing of you backing off when youngsters around. In a few words, i just noted, its something that not to be expected, you can't know if they are round all the time etc... Just so others know what to expect. It's the same reason any under 13 can't use social media, theres no guarantee what they bump into.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Gavner wrote: »
    @Amp_Phetamine BTW, thats 100% parents choice, you know you can't register to Facebook before age of 13 right? Its fine if a parent lets a child have a phone at 2 years old, its their business, yet these things still better be not encouraged.

The ever powerful "age restriction/verification".
  • @Amp_Phetamine As said, it's up to parents if they let children do whatever they want, regardless of rules. Same as alcohol/cigarette, its abused same way, yet not encouraged.
  • Vrisslar wrote: »

That shouldnt really be a problem for someone:
    not even close to teens yet.

Instagram:
    Instagram requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). If your child is younger than 13 and created an account on Instagram, you can show them how to delete their account.

Facebook:
    Facebook requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). Creating an account with false info is a violation of our terms. This includes accounts registered on the behalf of someone under 13.

Twitter:
    Twitter's rules prohibit anyone under the age of 13 to create accounts

So preteens shouldnt even be on social media

Anyway i shall pull my hand back out from this hornets nest, have fun ! ;)

Lol, hand pulled away. Honestly,as previously stated, that "age restriction/verification" is about as powerful as the warnings posted on certain websites ("For viewers 18 years of age or older - 'Continue'/'Back Out'.)
  • Your daughter will always remember gaming with you and how fun it was. She might remember the crazy guy cussing but it will be fond memories with her father that she will always remember.

I remember crappy dial up with AOL and playing games with my dad when I was young. Special times!

HERORIUS

• Gavner wrote: »
    @Amp_Phetamine As said, it's up to parents if they let children do whatever they want, regardless of rules. Same as alcohol/cigarette, its abused same way, yet not encouraged.

Absolutely, I was simply commenting on how difficult it is in today's day and age to "shelter" children from information. I'm not a child psychologist so I wouldn't know if early exposure to such content is beneficial or adverse. Like you stated, it's up to the parents to decide that for themselves and to explain such content in a way that educates their children to the social context in which it's either frowned upon or appropriate.
  • Most kids watch whatever they want on Television. 40-50% or so are in single parent households with the guardian at work.

Let them watch MTV (or worse) for a week or so- and see what they come away with.
    HERORIUS

• I didn’t mean for this to become so dramatic. She’s been in the bg twice now, for a combined two hours, done by 7:30 EST for bed. There has been a grand total, I believe, of one F-bomb and one classic “break his neck” promptly followed by a “oh sh*t, I’m sorry.” This is a thank you, not a social commentary on American ethics.
  • Aye, agree'd, apologies for momentarily devolving the thread.

I remember playing this game as a kid and it was absolutely incredible.

Thanks @Natebruner for allowing someone else to experience that!
  • Aye, agree'd, apologies for momentarily devolving the thread.

I remember playing this game as a kid and it was absolutely incredible.

Thanks @Natebruner for allowing someone else to experience that!

:) Long Live Alb Nation ! We bring families together !
    HERORIUS

• Too, too funny.
    d6tr2dp90xf4.png
    Too, too funny.
    d6tr2dp90xf4.png

That's awesome man! thanks for sharing
    HERORIUS

• That is so sweet :)
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Sucks this game won’t last long enough for my kids to try with me. :(
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    Sucks this game won’t last long enough for my kids to try with me. :(

Can I buy your Theurg for $300
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler
  • I haven’t owned the account for 10+ years. Tried to get it back but no go :(
    Too, too funny.
    d6tr2dp90xf4.png

oh I like
  • That is really cool!! Glad she saw a Mid!! lol
  • mr bad wolf mid ?
  • Mr Badwolf is an Alb player. Their main was Ghostbully (necro). The drawing reflects what each player is saying with Mr Badwolf saying he saw a mid. The drawing is so cute I just love it.
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • I think this is awesome. My oldest son is 9. I'd like to imagine that the game can sustain itself for another 3 or 4 years. He's interested in console gaming at the moment, but he still asks questions. Even if this game doesnt sustain and last until he's "there", i would like to think i will have the good fortune to game with my son like you have been able to with your daughter :smile:
    I haven’t owned the account for 10+ years. Tried to get it back but no go :(

Oh :( Didn't let you convert to EA acct?
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler
  • I sold it years ago.
  • Oh man, this whole thread is great. I first started DAoC with my own dad when I was about 5 years old, it's really sweet to see another generation of DAoC players playing with their parents just like I did as a kid (and still do to this day, on occasion.) :)
    Former Thid Pro Soloer. Current Molvik Pro Soloer.
    https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/redattack
  • Damn, 5 yrs old? My 4 and 6 year olds can barely run around on a horse in the relic town haha. They still love it though and think it’s really fun
    Damn, 5 yrs old? My 4 and 6 year olds can barely run around on a horse in the relic town haha. They still love it though and think it’s really fun

Oh believe me, I wasn't doing much besides spamming one anytime style on my Pally for a good few years, haha. I didn't really have any idea how to play until much later. I remember I spent a ton of time just killing Mulgrut and grey skeletons and zombies at the Prydwen Keep graveyard for the longest time and having a total blast, lol.
    Former Thid Pro Soloer. Current Molvik Pro Soloer.
    https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/redattack
  • This is awesome :)
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • its pretty awesome :)
  • my kids stole my first account on igraine hib
    i had to transfer 4 toons to this one for 40 bucks lol---
    they still play off and on---and i always know by the additional yelling or if my bot account is already on--
    good thing for sup pots lol
  • edited November 2018 PM
    The stories and positive responses to this thread gave me a bit of an idea, but I want to check if there is any interest before I get to the specifics. Would anyone be interested in picking a time and day - possibly once a month (or more), where we bring out our kids to all run together?

Benefits:
    1. I have been asking Reagana to read all of the script to every PvE quest she wants to run. DAOC has taught her more vocabulary this year than school by a factor of 10 at least.
    2. It has been a huge pleasure to find something we mutually enjoy. I mean truly mutually enjoy. Loving DAOC doesn't have an age attached.
    3. It would give a chance to make new friends. Virtual ones, sure...but like I value my friendship with many of you I know, that can certainly translate down to younger folks.

Setup: This is just a brainstorm, I could use your input.

1. No preteens without an adult supervisor. Despite being a teacher, I would be uncomfortable running anything without this. It's probably the only part I'm going to be 100% stubborn about.
    2. Make completely new characters. If your child makes a character named "Joe" and you want to play one too, it might be cute to make a "Joesdad" or "Joesmom" to accompany and support.
    3. Voice or no voice? I don't know to be honest. I have reservations both ways.
    4. Forget the training zone - we could port out of Constantine's sound and kill ants near Camelot like I did the day I started. Gaining levels and learning new powers should be so much slower for younger people. It takes a lot to get used to and this isn't about becoming a "leet toon" as fast as possible.

What do you think? Is there interest?

If this worked out, maybe it could expand to older friends or family members. Basically a "try DAOC" event of our own devising where the lower levels aren't so lonely.
    Post edited by Seethyr on