Returning player with some questions about server population

Hi all, I played DAoC for a few years waaaay back in the early 2000's and recently came back as a paid sub with a buddy of mine that played back then too. We joined Ywain4 (Mid) since it was the recommended server for new players and I am wondering if that was a mistake since it seems like a ghost town. Occasionally we see people running the quest lines but the population is nothing like it used to be. Last night we hunted around in Braemar and only saw/killed 2 players that were questing in 2-3 hours.

Population seems extremely low, so since Hibernia holds the middle keep in the battlegrounds it seems unlikely there will be enough people online and in BG at once to take it back. Also the RVR map shows most realms control all of their own keeps with only a couple towers being owned by enemy realms. We are also still in the beginner's guild and when clicking the social button and going over to guild there's usually only 5-6 people online at a time in it, which seems crazy considering all new players are put in it (unless there are multiple beginner guilds)

Is there a way to see how many people are online in a server at a given time? Or even historical data that shows a graph with the average amount of players for each hour/day for the past day/week etc. This would make it possible for us to plan what days/times we want to play in order to increase our chances of player interaction, or choose a server with a more active population.

We are both stoked to be back in the game, I am just wondering if we made a poor choice by picking Ywain4. Also for the RVR/BG zones do those only hold players from Ywain4? or do all of the Ywain[x] servers filter into the same RVR zones to boost population in the RVR element? (I am assuming they don't from the lack of action in the BG and RVR Map)

Thanks

Comments

• Ywain 4 would only apply to the housing area. All of the Ywain "servers" operate as one and the same for PvE and RvR.

I wish that they would post server population by realm but all we get is the bonus by realm for being underpopulated.
  • Anomally wrote: »
    Ywain 4 would only apply to the housing area. All of the Ywain "servers" operate as one and the same for PvE and RvR.

I wish that they would post server population by realm but all we get is the bonus by realm for being underpopulated.

I don't think they want people to see the actual numbers, would make depressing matters worse.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • y servers are simply for housing plots. the servers are all merged for rvr/pve. my bots are on y1 and my mains are on y3 for all three realms
  • edited October 2021 PM
    Do a /who thid, or /who molvik, or /who cathal. These commands will show the number of people in that zone then it will show the TOTAL players on that realm. For example, I just did a /who thid on Alb and it states, "Found 2 matches out of 101 players". So right now on Albion, in the ENTIRE world, there are only 101 players playing daoc, 2 of them are in Thid. Doing a /who nf will ONLY show the total players in the NF zone, not the total # of players on the realm. Daoc is lucky to get 200+ these days (on any given realm) during primetime/weekends. Unfortunately, there's no way to eliminate BOTS so there's a good portion of any total # that is most likely a BOT just standing somewhere. I'd guess that out of 101 players, 10+ are probably BOTS, if not more.

At roughly 6:30pm at night, here are the total players on each realm:

Alb - 101 (29 in NF)
    Hib - 61 (25 in NF)
    Mid - 99 (34 in NF)

So there are roughly 261 people, in the entire world, logged into daoc right now. That's it. Now take about 10% - 20% of that number away (BOTS) and you may have a legitimate number of total players.
    Post edited by Valtar on
  • It also appears that /who ? will list the total players on a realm at that time. Just did this on Hib and it states, "Found 63 matches out of 63 players".
  • Who all does the same thing
  • Hey, jumping onto this thread.
    I am a returning player also I play Ywain 4 (mid) also. I played back in 2004 again in 2015 and just started up again last night.
    You are not kidding, it’s a ghost town. I have a lvl 50 thane and I’m looking to get back into some action.
    Have you found anything fun and exciting?
    I’d be happy to get together for some game play.