Do we have any update on Alternate playstyle server news?

I am interested in coming back to DAOC but i am waiting for the new "classic" server have we received any update I have missed since F2P became an option?

Comments

• If I was you I'd remove "classic" from your question as the patch level hasn't been confirmed by BS.

It's just an alternate server project atm, patch/ruleset is still tbd.
  • thats why i used quotations.
  • I keep checking back every few weeks hoping for more info, but nothing of substance so far
  • backbone wrote: »
    I keep checking back every few weeks hoping for more info, but nothing of substance so far

Same here.
    Game is in a horrible, unplayable condition right now.
    Hoping for a classic server.

Mahv.
  • The game itself is quite playable... However this is what I've noticed... I used to solo all the time, but I've been running in an 8man a lot lately, and what I've noticed is there is next to ZERO casual 8mans that run, it is all "IRC elite".

From what I've seen it is literally 2-3 elite groups (separate groups of course. they dont run together) that run every night during primetime that roll just about everything. I can't blame them for running and being good, but with the low population there is nothing for casual groups to form up and expect to kill anything, so they zerg.

The game is in a good spot. It's 100% playable but now that I've been running 8man I have noticed now more than ever just had badly the casual player is hurt by population
  • 8 man is the most difficult playstyle to run consistently, I've been saying that for a while.

And not because it requires more skill, not at all. It's only because of the fact you need to have 8-12 dedicated players that have compatible schedules and are willing to work as a team. Solo is easy to play (difficult to be successful), zerg is easy to play, smallman is easy to play.

There needs to be more incentives to 8 man, only way you'll help that part of the game stay alive and be more fun for casuals.
  • We need to have some of the people who know a lot about 8mans and how to play some of the classes to help form pug grps of people who want to get into 8mans and help them learn/gives tips to make them/us better at it.
  • They tried that, they held drafts (toxic and non-toxic) to try and get more people in to 8manning
  • Ya i remember that and sometimes they still do drafts and that i think that worked really well @triq_dave. And it was fun and not a chore. They should also try doing something like that for roaming grps. Requirement is that you are at least cl 15 that way if you happen to not have a temp you will have all the basics or just a flat Requirement of having a temp and at least rr3( not that hard to get as its something like 60k rps) that should help teach new players learn how to 8/smallman better and if there is any other pug grps out it would help them out as well as they wont instantly die and hopefully wont have to avoid elite grps all night long( we know that what pugs do now is they go where they aren't.) Can even still set grps up like a draft fight.
  • The "elite" groups that play on this server just want to roll noobs. It's what they enjoy so let people play how they want. If you actually wanted competition then ... well there are other places you can go for that. I personally couldn't be bothered to hold drafts for inferior players that have not become good at a 20 year old game.
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    The game itself is quite playable...

The game is in a good spot. It's 100% playable but now that I've been running 8man I have noticed now more than ever just had badly the casual player is hurt by population /quote

Please read your own words a few times, slow, and think about what you just read.

You telling yourself a liar.
    If the game would be playable there would not be a pop-problem.
    If the game would be in a good spot there would not be a pop-problem.
    if the game would be 100% playable there would not be a pop-problem.
    With running 8-man you realised that you have driven out all the casuals. /clap

Seems you are one of the clever ones in the game. /clap again

Mahv
  • @Mahvash Why are you even here? I haven't seen you post a single positive thing ever.

We even tried to help you understand specific game mechanics that you were complaining about on multiple occasions. We tried to offer help so you would enjoy yourself.

You complained about Molvik, you complain about NF, you complain about everything, do you even play?

If the game is too hard for you, that's fine. Zerging should be OK since it requires absolutely no game knowledge, it's just about having a good time with friends.

It also depends what is your definition of casual. Is a casual a player that can pick up any class in the game, and do well without knowing any of the class mechanics or abilities, essentially just smashing keys and having success?

Or is a casual a player that has limited play time, but still wants to learn its class and what it can do in different situations?

Daoc isn't and never was designed to accomodate casual #1, but it definitely can accomodate casual #2.
  • The game is playable but not casual friendly outside of zerging. A new server won't change that. That's how the game is. There's nothing left to explore. It's all about the RP grind, regardless of the server you play on. Some fights are just more fun than others depending on numbers and play style.
  • It's been nearly a year and a half, when will we hear some news? I really believe this server will do well for Broadsword, the same way classic wow substantially increased wows sub count. People love the older versions of the games we played, DAOC is no different
  • Shoke wrote: »
    @Mahvash Why are you even here? I haven't seen you post a single positive thing ever.

We even tried to help you understand specific game mechanics that you were complaining about on multiple occasions. We tried to offer help so you would enjoy yourself.

You complained about Molvik, you complain about NF, you complain about everything, do you even play?

If the game is too hard for you, that's fine. Zerging should be OK since it requires absolutely no game knowledge, it's just about having a good time with friends.

It also depends what is your definition of casual. Is a casual a player that can pick up any class in the game, and do well without knowing any of the class mechanics or abilities, essentially just smashing keys and having success?

Or is a casual a player that has limited play time, but still wants to learn its class and what it can do in different situations?

Daoc isn't and never was designed to accomodate casual #1, but it definitely can accomodate casual #2.

OK, for the last time for our friends with community-college degrees.......

PvE is nice, PvP broken beyond repair. No positives to be mentioned.
    Explaining was nice but useless as most of the guys here dont have any clue about what they are talking.
    I am in the game every day, weekdays about two to three hours, weekends much much more.
    The game and the mechanics are dead simple, but way off.

The rest i will not dignify with an answer.
    And i will also end posting in this forum as this is like talking to a concrete-wall.

Live long and prosper,

Mahv

• In for my 6 month check. Still no news? Dang. Covid year was the perfect time to capitalize on people's free time. Shame....
  • Warbie wrote: »
    I am interested in coming back to DAOC but i am waiting for the new "classic" server have we received any update I have missed since F2P became an option?

Make a Classic alt server..."and they will come" The amount of money that could be made....
  • Warbie wrote: »

Make a Classic alt server..."and they will come" The amount of money that could be made....

You'd think they would of seen classic wows success and tried to capitalize as well. It's a shame because most of the private server players would swap and all the people that wont play on the private servers would resub as well
  • There may be truth to a new server bringing in lots of people. However, considering how poor Broadsword has been at managing Ywain, they could screw it up just like they did with EC. There's not much room for error here because if their version of classic is viewed as worse than what's available, then there's no way to rebound even with a Steam release. They had the right attitude about EC in that they had to get it right for it to work. This is no different. I just hope they don't get it wrong again. The lack of transparency though isn't a good sign...
  • edited November 2020 PM
    So make aclassic server to take away from the already low population? Its a pipe dream to think people will leave free and have to paY. And the grind of lvling again
    Post edited by Minibard on
  • Minibard wrote: »
    So make aclassic server to take away from the already low population? Its a pipe dream to think people will leave free and have to paY. And the grind of lvling again

I can understand if Ywain-players are concerned. In the short term it will be a disaster for Ywain (long term too if you ask me), but for non-Ywain-players (people who dislike Ywain for whatever reason) a new server will be a nice opportunity to play again. It doesn't really matter how successful it turns out to be. There is nothing to lose if you don't care about Ywain.