Some Changes I would like to see...

During my playtime (US Prime) there is only really 1 viable playstyle. Zerg or nothing. I would like to see some incentives added to make other playstyles worthwhile, while not hurting the casual playstyles of the many.

Change 1: Change roaming with friends quest back to 25k rps upon completion, but change the mechanic of kill credit from the deathblow, to the group that does 75%+ damage to the target gets the credit. I believe this change would allow roaming groups to seek each other out and fight. Also would give more casual players a reason to venture out, form groups and try to complete the quests.

Change 2: Solo players should be rewarded for their patients. Increase solo quest reward by another 5-10k rps remove restrictions on where they can get credit and buff solo kill rps by 2-3k a kill. This will reward the solo player for venturing out and seeking kills.

Change 3: Add a rotating daily kill quest of some kind to move action around, i.e. Kill 10 players in mid maze, Kill 10 players in Dun Crauchon, etc. Make this quest reward 5-10k rps. Think something like this would be fun and would make players move from the norm.

Comments

• I like the 3rd idea.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • I like all three! There is so much content in the game that goes unused or on leveraged it doesn't make any sense. By using the daily Quest infrastructure the game can be refreshed and change patterns of behavior easily. Why not create Quests that have high payoff and are oriented around places like POC which has been completely underutilized and areas like Darkness Falls or the labi? Simple changes like this would keep the game fresh and engaging vice the same old grind
  • Excuse my hijacking, but I'd need some information: what time is the us-prime normally?

OT: Ya. I'd like RPz besides zerging.
  • I like all these idea !
  • I agree there should be more incentives to do something in the frontiers, but I don't like the extreme focus on kills. DAoC is a game that revolves around conflict (relics, keeps, towers, etc). Kills are a secondary effect (even though they are the best part). If you ignore the conflict part, and just focus on kills then you basically share goals with your enemies. If your objective is to kill 10 enemies in mid maze, then all the enemies in mid maze are your "friends", because you need each other. This is of course an exaggeration, and people care about different things, but my point is that if you want to create action in mid maze (or whereever), then it should revolve around conflict.
  • Zergs should be rewarded with more rp per kill at keep sieges
    Full Groups to small mans should be rewarded for more rp per kill while roaming on EV and at tower fights (and EV towers should be treated as towers vs keeps- but the bonus should remain the same).
    Solos should be rewarded for more rp per kill at docks, maizes and solo spots.
  • If I can add to that:

Change 4: Change the RP distribution calculation where the RP value of a kill is divided equally amongst all the players that did damage.

Change 5 : Reduce the overall value of RP/kill, and instead increase the value of RP quest completion.

Changes 6 : Groups get no quest credit on the roaming with friends if their target is not grouped. This would need a "buff" that flags you as grouped if you have been solo for less than 5 minutes (example) to prevent players from disbanding right before getting zerged.
  • @audizmann can make that mid maze have a capturable objective. Not a flag or an angel statue, but maybe a type of buggane buff that has its value increase the longer you stay in the area.
  • Read my mind with #2 :o
  • I agree solo players need more patients.
  • Vewdoo wrote: »
    I agree solo players need more patients.

Patience my bad
  • Shoke wrote: »
    If I can add to that:

Change 4: Change the RP distribution calculation where the RP value of a kill is divided equally amongst all the players that did damage.

Change 5 : Reduce the overall value of RP/kill, and instead increase the value of RP quest completion.

Changes 6 : Groups get no quest credit on the roaming with friends if their target is not grouped. This would need a "buff" that flags you as grouped if you have been solo for less than 5 minutes (example) to prevent players from disbanding right before getting zerged.

I think change 4/5 would hurt the vast majority of the players and that is not what I was leaning towards. For instance the DoT spamming zerg surfers would suffer, sure we all hate that a solo ment or necro can cap his defense bonuses by throwing a hand full DoT's out there but like said at the top of the post I didn't want to hurt the casual player.

As for change 6 would be a double edged sword, because lots of "Solo" people are jumping in on bigger fights or following around groups that they know they can leech off of, so shouldn't the group still get credit and full rps for these tasty treats?
  • @Creaper the goal with making the quests be worth more than the kills is that it would help Broadsword orient rvr in different ways. Like for a week solo quest is worth double the RPs, or for a week keep takes reward double RPs, etc.

My point with #6 is that what you are proposing with change #1 is to go back to pre-EC RvR, and I don't know if you remember but we were spending most of our time dodging zergs on EV, because the zergs would eventually loop back on EV to do their buggane and roaming quests.

Change #6 won't really help that, but it will help a lot the soloers. I'm not a die hard soloer, but to me the frustrating part is not getting killed by the odd 8 man once a night. It's getting killed by smallmans that 100% of their time is dedicated to roaming maze/solo spots.

If at least killing soloers is not made more profitable than it is now, it would help that part of the game.
  • @Shoke Broadsword doesn't want or need to reorient rvr, because the vast majority of their subs likes the playstyle they are currently engaged in. I wasn't aiming for major changes to the way rvr awarded rps to benefit one playstlye over another. My suggestions will give the players that are looking for something else, the ability to do something else and be rewarded for it, without hurting the casual players. Your suggestion would directly hurt the small man/duo making him/her not be able to complete one of his/her quests, a lot of nights because they aren't getting credit for kills. One playstyle can't be protected, that is why I suggested offering more reward not penalizing someone else.
  • Great points @Creaper im totally against reducing rps per kill. You should be able to play a toon for a long time and still be rewarded. It is so hard to find fights at times so it would be very frustrating to get less rps for kills.
  • They could have random Racial Kill tasks as well to keep you hunting. i.e. kill 30 Saracens.
  • Glad somebody finally posted all this and it's getting a lot of attention. I think Daily quest rewards should be increased

In a Grab Bag a month or so ago I asked how RPs were distributed because I noticed I was getting a higher RP split per kill when running an 8man than I did when I was solo... @Carol_Broadsword confirmed that groups do get a bonus per single kill compared to a soloer... This has just never made sense to me it's so backwards...

I feel like the split should be even distribution of RPs (aka if a solo kill is worth 8000 rps solo, then a group would get 1000 rps each), but with that, if we reintroduced the higher daily reward of 25k for group quest, then this would keep 8mans happy but also make solo play more rewarding...

Bottom line is, risk vs reward should be a thing, and if you are zerging you should get the least amount of RPs, but at the same time if you zerg you should at least get SOMETHING... This honestly shouldn't be that hard C'mon @Broadsword
  • edited August 2020 PM
    @Creaper the main issue I see is that you reward 8 mans and smallmans for zerging down lesser numbers.

The 75% rule hurts zergs and that's great. I agree that some groups would potentially split from the zerg to get their roaming auest done.

But rewarding players that strictly go for smaller numbers isn't good imo, and that's exactly the issue we had before EC.

I don't think it would hurt the smallman, it would force that smallman to look for smallmans instead of getting full quest credit killing soloers.

I mean they'd still get the same RPs for killing that soloer, they just wouldn't get a quest reward on top.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Your asking for too much Shoke, they would have to program alot to flag people for quest kills and people not for quest kills. Ask for too much and you will get nothing
  • Even simple requests result in nothing without the developers being on board 100%. That's a hard metric to gauge considering their lack of transparency.
  • roaming groups only roam until they meet another strong small man, then they add more numbers, or join the zerg
  • I like the proposed changes. But hasn't number 3 been tried multiple times. Buggane use to move around and only get credit in that area. People quit going there. ( SOME of it was because the stealth zergs would camp it) Even with dragon keep and ghost keep people quit going after it after awhile.

#4 sucks shoke. lets say your 8 man fights another 8 man, does 90% of the damage and a stealther comes and hits every player once and runs off,. He should get the same amout of RPS as the 8?
  • Good point, guess #4 doesn't really work
  • Shoke wrote: »
    If I can add to that:

So no realm points for healing classes?
  • Would obviously be divided between group members like they are now.

#4 is basically how RPs were distributed before they changed it to favor grouping (aka zerging people down). It's not a new mechanic, it's reverting to an old mechanic.
  • KatKat
    edited August 2020 PM
    Really appreciate solo playstyle being included in these discussions. Increasing solo quest reward and removing location requirement would be great changes. Or, make the solo quest repeatable, to encourage solo players to stay in the game. Many just get their 5 kills and log out.

I would love if it BS would make changes in game to de-incentivize groups from killing solo players. But, I dont think that would change behavior. People don't chase down and kill solo players just for the rps. I have watched streams of groups/smallmans killing solo'rs (not me) and they are laughing and giddy about killing the solo'r. They are not griefing for the rps.

I would like to see a mechanic put in the game that whenever a stealther joins a group of more then 3, they immediately blow up (like a failed sc attempt) and are ported back to capital city. (this is joke but would be awesome)
    Post edited by Kat on
  • The easiest step Broadsword can make to reduce the incentive to gank for RPs would be to remove the current group bonus and divide the RPs among all players/groups that damaged the killed player weighted by the amount of damage they did. The latter may already be in place but certainly should be if it's not.

EV tower ports have to be either removed entirely or Crauch/Bled/Beno have to be ruined again so ports can be cut more readily. As was noted in a recent Grab Bag, EV Towers are considered keeps because they can be ported to and are therefore subjected to a higher capture / defense bonus than regular towers. This has become ridiculous as zergs rarely venture off EV as a result UNLESS there's only one zerg running. I would love for there to be MORE incentive to capture "enemy territory" than to circle or camp EV towers.

Kill tasks / quests should be tiered. This may require more "coding" on the part of BS but it works. You can only stick your head in the sand for so long... It becomes very addicting to see a kill count pop up on your screen while earning a small RP or BP award on top of it. You want players to keep playing. Give them a reason to.
  • edited August 2020 PM
    Something they already have coded and could just turn back on is the quest in df for killing 15 mids and hibs that was repeatable from Npc on df steps. I have them still on some of my older character and npc is already coded to give bps now instead of old reward of champion diamond seals.

Helps with fighting over keeps for df access to turn in and a small incentive to keep playing/killing
    Post edited by Boduke on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • Instance RvR would be my #1 suggestion.

Looking for fights is the worst part of the game.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Instance pvp never really works i mean look at any othere mmo it is oways dead or has more then like 30min wait time. Now i can see it if it was a limited time event or something but i dont see it being a good idea if its a permanent thing
  • Godsdemon wrote: »
    They could have random Racial Kill tasks as well to keep you hunting. i.e. kill 30 Saracens.

LOL this is the most awesomeest post I've seen since I came back.