I came, I saw, I left

edited June 2020 in General Board
I came back to the game and it was AWESOME! (March 2020) It was as much fun as I’ve had in the game since the mid 2000s. I’m old (**** we all are) so I sat my 10 year old daughter beside me and she loved the game as much as I did, albiet for different reasons than me (she was running Molvik grps by the end of the first week and loved the social aspect)

I ran solo, small man, and by the end of May I was running 8.... something I had never done before. Was a blast.

I want to give credit to broadsword.... people keep coming back and they deserve the cred.

But, I I quit almost as quickly as I restarted due solely to the population drain once COVID restrictions were lifted and summer kicked in,

Mechanically and aesthetically the game is as good as any other.... but the population blows. It’s on broadsword to bring in new players. They aren’t. My daughter (who is mainly a roblox and minecraft nerd) LOVED daoc. So do I.

Fix the population = fix the game in my opinion. Advertise, fix the skill gap, fix the free account bull crap..... daoc is still a cash cow in the right hands.

Just sayin
Post edited by kedyma on

Comments

• Huh. Im also a returning player and have a 10 year old daughter into minecraft and roboblox... All similarities aside I think it would be more accurate to title this "I came, I had a blast, I left".

So maybe coming from similar circumstances I agree there should be more easy to play classes or at least specs. The issue is not making them OP for skilled players at the same time. For example: Heal locks. OP if you're skilled, but take away the DOT combo or the lifetap altogether for lock and it would be a solid hey spam this and use these 3 other spells class to teach your 10 year old. Same with Bards. OP if you're skilled, if you're not, and you mostly play in the hero zerg, you're just a 16 resist class with POM, WB good defensives, getaway tools, and a monster group heal and great R5.

Maybe all 3 main heal classes heal line should be easier to play. Put the trick heal spell stuff on other classes/lines. Those players are usually the most adverse to dying and don't mind sitting still trying to heal vs targeting assisting and moving/staying out of LOS let alone watching for debuffs and immunity timers and uses, etc.

It shouldnt be about winning fights all the time or zergs or even getting rps all the time in fights but lower skill players should be able to grab a class on any realm and have a say 20% chance of getting rps vs a char they attack.

Zerg fight every realm should have a class with stun + dd combo. Smite cleric and ment/eld/chanter provide wonderful classes for likely contributing to a group for people who aren't that skilled. Mid should also have a stun dd class. Otherwise people gravitate towards the other realms in more numbers and you have less fights because why fight vs vastly superior #s.

The skill gap will always reap rewards for skilled players. 8man small man or zerg. given coordination and understanding of play. Making it more friendly for lower skill players to do okay will only increase the field of play (more fish in the sea).
  • @lff realm and class balance is not the main reason people quit daoc. It is about time consuming LFG and constantly ganked by outnumbered enemies or just running in NF because no enemy if not peak time. There are many more alternative games than time consuming lfg daoc. If daoc can provide the equivalent fun experience why would people quit.
  • Hey bro never did get to run with you on Midgard. There’s a lot of reasons the population has tanked even recently. It doesn’t really help that there’s is a completely free place a lot are using.

GL
  • Close that illegal server already.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • kedyma wrote: »
    I came back to the game and it was AWESOME! (March 2020) It was as much fun as I’ve had in the game since the mid 2000s. I’m old (**** we all are) so I sat my 10 year old daughter beside me and she loved the game as much as I did, albiet for different reasons than me (she was running Molvik grps by the end of the first week and loved the social aspect)

I ran solo, small man, and by the end of May I was running 8.... something I had never done before. Was a blast.

I want to give credit to broadsword.... people keep coming back and they deserve the cred.

But, I I quit almost as quickly as I restarted due solely to the population drain once COVID restrictions were lifted and summer kicked in,

Mechanically and aesthetically the game is as good as any other.... but the population blows. It’s on broadsword to bring in new players. They aren’t. My daughter (who is mainly a roblox and minecraft nerd) LOVED daoc. So do I.

Fix the population = fix the game in my opinion. Advertise, fix the skill gap, fix the free account bull crap..... daoc is still a cash cow in the right hands.

Just sayin

It was great getting to know you. You are a true sportsman and quality player. I am sorry you quit.

Hope you come back.

Much respect

• I've been back since Christmas. Population was very acceptable between then and the end of the Covid crap, but now it is back to what I have been feeling like lately has been similiar to the numbers before I quit in end of 2018 (basically nobody on ever).

6 months ago when I returned I really like the QoL changes that Broadsword made to the new gear etc. Now it's been 6 month since EC and no change on that (current model basically makes new players run away from game...) and also some still absolutely ridiculous class balance has not happened since well before I quit the game so like 2 years at this point I feel like Necros are still stupid for example.

It just really bothers me that so many games can make changes so quickly to fix seemingly simple issues, and make efforts to bring people into game, and then there is Broadsword I feel like their mentality is to be super stubborn and stick their nose in the air
  • edited June 2020 PM
    Armagedden wrote: »
    I've been back since Christmas. Population was very acceptable between then and the end of the Covid crap, but now it is back to what I have been feeling like lately has been similiar to the numbers before I quit in end of 2018 (basically nobody on ever).

6 months ago when I returned I really like the QoL changes that Broadsword made to the new gear etc. Now it's been 6 month since EC and no change on that (current model basically makes new players run away from game...) and also some still absolutely ridiculous class balance has not happened since well before I quit the game so like 2 years at this point I feel like Necros are still stupid for example.

It just really bothers me that so many games can make changes so quickly to fix seemingly simple issues, and make efforts to bring people into game, and then there is Broadsword I feel like their mentality is to be super stubborn and stick their nose in the air

Yep, this is the reason I left was due to the slow process of making changes. If there was something not quite right with the class changes or what not it would take them months or even half a year to revert it and this just took so long. I just feel if they did weekly or at least every 2 weeks it would bring people back.

EC on the other hand should of been fixed and eased on the restrictions within the month they got feedback. How it's taken them over 4-5 months and still waiting on the next patch to make those changes is beyond me. I do understand Covid19 hasn't helped but I do feel there is lack communications with the producer and it's player base.

Their monthly newsletter doesn't really tell you anything but that they are working on the patch which was meant to be out 2-3 months ago and this has happened with EC and previous patches. Honesty really does go along way but if that's the way they want to run the game and respond to the community then that's their choice. I just feel there lack of communication has made players think if they want to sub or not. The lack of population is really hitting this game and sometimes I'm not sure if they really care.
    Post edited by Solicfear1 on
  • Yep EC shoulda been fixed months ago....what are they waiting for? That is really frustrating.
  • There was no Monthly Newsletter for May. Considering the lack of apparent effort needed to generate them, based on content alone, is really signifying a new low on the part of Broadsword in terms of communication. The development frequency we are experiencing now is eerily identical to that in 2013 when Mythic Entertainment was on the cusp of shutting down. Sadly, I think we're encroaching on life support for official DAoC which doesn't bode well for future updates or content (i.e. a new server). I'd be glad if they proved me wrong.
  • Everytime this guy quits, it’s a post.

Like Motley Crue said, “Girl don’t go away mad, girl just go away”.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Game needs smaller and steady patches. This was supposed to be the new meta last year, but never happened. We're still in the razzle dazzle, "late Spring" patch style, that usually over promises and under delivers. Very sad considering the COVID population spike could have gained some subscriptions with a timely release. A missed opportunity to say the least.
  • Steam? March Patch? 6 bug fixes in 8 months? EC adjustments? Population is low and these things aren't helping, but glad we had time to find a new discord admin~
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Came back twice.
    First just after EC release - stayed for 2 days. Back to ESO.
    Came back again a week or so ago.
    Actually thought of resubbing...for 5 minutes.
    Didn't and won't because it would only be to remove ~cripple the game~ restrictions forced on new players and old,
    not for something better like bonuses to housing, awesome skins etc.
    Doubt I will stay.
    Too easy to just go play ESO part-time sub (restricted only in dlc/housing/craftbag)
    and spend my money in their cash shop on whatever candy items catch my eye.
    No craftbag - use mules, small apartments, account wide banks, buy anything (dlc etc) in shop,.
    No xp/rr restrictions. No class restrictions.
    Sometimes I sub there, majority of my money spent in shop not sub.
    Better population there, play what I want how I want, and level at the same rate as other people to max levels
    Guess that is the difference in imagination between the 2 companies:
    Broadsword - cripple the gameplay and this will force people to sub (many pass).
    ESO - Don't cripple the gameplay,make the shop awesome, and offer bonuses to subs (many sub).

Shrug my 2 cents.
  • Not sure we met formally or even fought for that matter, however I remember hearing your a friend of Llewd. A friend of Llewd is a friend of me, if you decide to come back and need anything I'm sure you can find me ranting in the official discord. Take care m8
  • Yeah Auti does that alright. lol
  • edited June 2020 PM
    The only thing that could kill DAoC is low population. Broadsword has finally realized that, although probably 4 years too late. When they asked for the players feedback in 2016, everyone was so excited about how progressive Broadsword was, only to be left in the dust as Broadsword changed the game into an unrecognizable form. But ... let bygones be bygones.

Who really cares about what any of you think. REALLY. Some people want this, some want that, the only thing that matters is that the game is fun. If Broadsword can make the game fun again, everyone will be happy. The game is not fun when you stand at a frontier town LFG for 2 hours for an 8 man and can't find one. The game isn't fun when you start an 8 man and look to fill the group for 2 hours and can't fill the group. Low population sucks and that is the most important issue that Broadsword has to fix.
    Post edited by TopDude on
  • Endless Conquest was supposed to help with low population. It did for a whole two weeks (concurrent player count started dropping then). Quarantine did more for population than the F2P model. That's the sad reality.
  • edited July 2020 PM
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    Close that illegal server already.

Almost none of those people would return to retail.
    Simply put retail blows. If they'd release a classic server... or even rerelease Gareth/Ector/Lamorak I'm sure some would come play here. Truth is ToA stuff sucks... as does everything after DR.
    Post edited by Jhaerik on
  • Most people still playing DAoC play it because it has ruined all other games for them, or they're on a nostalgic kick. So if the illegal server was gone, I would expect an increase in subs. If only they removed a good part of EC restrictions, I'm sure those players would be back and spending bookoo $$ in the cash shop, so long as it's not P2W like the current f2p model.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
  • edited July 2020 PM
    Dale_Perf wrote: »
    Most people still playing DAoC play it because it has ruined all other games for them, or they're on a nostalgic kick. So if the illegal server was gone, I would expect an increase in subs. If only they removed a good part of EC restrictions, I'm sure those players would be back and spending bookoo $$ in the cash shop, so long as it's not P2W like the current f2p model.

Truth is, I think people will get a life and stop playing in their mothers basement. :lol: [/quote]

To be serious I don't think this game has long left and if steam works, all well and good but I don't think it will last. It's such an old game that all the young generation will play more modern games. There is hardly a market for this game to the new generation and when they look at the graphics they will be turned off immediately. I don't think the population will increase much even if there is a new server. Like many have said that there will be a huge boost of players for a couple of months and once all the hype is over it will go back to the levels you have now.

I've loved this game but I guess we have to look at the reality of how old it is. :)
  • edited July 2020 PM
    '''''

• Jhaerik wrote: »
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    Close that illegal server already.

Almost none of those people would return to retail.
    Simply put retail blows. If they'd release a classic server... or even rerelease Gareth/Ector/Lamorak I'm sure some would come play here. Truth is ToA stuff sucks... as does everything after DR.

IF you are not playing because of TOA ( 15 yrs ago) then you dont want to play. MLs make QOL better. What is so bad about TOA now? You dont have to do encounters anymore. Just get the ML tokens and done. Artifacts are not really used anymore. and if they are, you dont have to do encounter. just get them and level item in about 15-20 min.
  • Solicfear1 wrote: »
    '''''

so what is the new/good game to play???
    for more than a month that is :)
  • edited July 2020 PM
    Wow we have a genius here, who's plan is to copy something that's free but charge 15$/month for it.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Sarcasm is clearly wasted on you.
  • Astaa wrote: »
    Real Dev/GM interaction with the community, with player driven changes, votes etc.

That is my biggest issue with Broadsword. Charging a premium for less support than the competition. It's a great way to ensure the death of any MMO. RIP.
  • edited July 2020 PM
    [removed]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • Going to share Our thoughts on why we're not coming back to Dark Age of Camelot. Which will make it easy to see if there is still a chance for this game, based on what they do with it.

We've all had years to digest solutions the community has, on classic vanilla servers and reverts, to balance changes, to the whole casuals versus hardcores debate. Bunch of stuff. Stuff we don't even remember now, because the game is so old now.

It's not about that stuff. Maybe it kinda was. But it's not.

There is a whole "Unchained" fad going on now with several games. To conservative christians, we know that they literally think that people's souls are chained to these games. Games like dark age of camelot. Like someone posted up there, they said, "just go away, stop coming back." So if people even come back to say hello, or even look at the website, it's a trespass, right? We get it. Communists took over the game and now it's trespassing to even look this way. Like Sodom and Gomorrah. Except there are still Jews living in Sodom and Gomorrah now. What are they going to do about it? That's because we already gave up this game a long time ago. Because of the commies and the gaps of the haves and the have nots they created.

It's really simple. This game is not like playing a Single Player game for children where it is pretty easy to be satisfied beating the game. What happens instead, is, the communists are actually accusing the single players as just Liking their stagnant rut they get in without all the purple epics. Or whatever rut they find theirselves in that Commies can dump 'em in. And Mythic/Broadsword/WHOever actually listens, and likes it. Because it's all about keeping people out of their closely-knit social clubs. Especially antichristian ones, or ones that simply make it too hard to compete. We're also being accused of just wanting to compete. Or anything. If anyone gets ahead in this game, just see what happens. It gets cut off, or they put in a new card basically, because they turned it into a card game instead of an action game. This gets into our next point.

When we saw the patch that literally made the game's action combat against monsters Less fun, by taking out the final blow animation on Styled Attacks, so basically making the monster combat less fun for everyone who uses a fighter class, and replaced it with a standing still frozen/locked animation with the sword releasing its styled trail but no actual animation coming from it to give that really satisfying UMPH of violence, we knew that Mythic was making really bad decisions with their game. They further never developed the first person mode further to get better. In fact the game as a whole, never got better. It just got worse, focusing on things that most people can enjoy, but instead focusing on the weird niches that most people couldn't handle. Like Trials of Atlantis Artifacts, a total waste of people's time and lives to get ahead of the rest of us who would just enjoy making new alts, enjoying the simple things most people could do. This is why the gap just simply got wider, and those at the top who had their Commie Realm Ranks and Artifacts and other items believed that this only made them more superior to those down below. Again, the railing accusation comes from them that we just Like being down there, and that people just refuse to rise to meet them up there.

The game just isn't that fun to begin with. Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 all came out. Before that, World of Warcraft was better. With Dark Souls 3 being the better of them all because of finally getting Mouse Support for PC that actually worked, allowing for people to play the game like a first person shooter a little bit with the bow and greatbow. The action combat Also got more satisfying against monsters, even mocking dark age of camelot with weapon attacks that simply cleave enemies from swinging, none of this single target tabbing old stuff. It's way better, with its normalized itemization, the game is only for Commies if people try to play the game backwards and stick around for too long, or seeking PvP at the level 120 zone where most people can potentially get seriously hacked and have their PC damaged. But if people just play through it sticking to the real objectives, staying out of Sin, and staying close to God through Jesus Christ, then nothing bad can happen. Just like lightning east to west.

So: The game wasn't that great to begin with. The developers actually stopped improving the conservative things in the game right after release. The developers started making the game only for a niche group of elite players instead. And still continue to believe that this was the right decision, and that no one else would have enjoyed it, and if Anyone Does try to still enjoy it, then they are being accused of just liking being underpowered, broken, and eternally stuck on their character, hopelessly frozen in their state, like it's funny. Except God knows it's not. And God knows it's a stupid game, made by stupid creators, and stupid commies that are all going to the burning hell.

Truth is we are already unchained in Jesus Christ and never were chained except maybe as a witness to testify what the actual hell they were trying to do with the game and the people playing it.

Which is how God will treat the people treating the non-socialists. Since they wouldn't improve their game to begin with, nor to compete with its betters and just stayed in their rut. So they must just like it then. Their own railing accusation against them.
  • Going to share Our thoughts on why we're not coming back to Dark Age of Camelot. Which will make it easy to see if there is still a chance for this game, based on what they do with it.

We've all had years to digest solutions the community has, on classic vanilla servers and reverts, to balance changes, to the whole casuals versus hardcores debate. Bunch of stuff. Stuff we don't even remember now, because the game is so old now.

There is a whole "Unchained" fad going on now with several games. To conservative christians, we know that they literally think that people's souls are chained to these games. Games like dark age of camelot. Like someone posted up there, they said, "just go away, stop coming back." So if people even come back to say hello, or even look at the website, it's a trespass, right? We get it. Communists took over the game and now it's trespassing to even look this way. Like Sodom and Gomorrah. Except there are still Jews living in Sodom and Gomorrah now. What are they going to do about it? That's because we already gave up this game a long time ago. Because of the commies and the gaps of the haves and the have nots they created.

It's really simple. This game is not like playing a Single Player game for children where it is pretty easy to be satisfied beating the game. What happens instead, is, the communists are actually accusing the single players as just Liking their stagnant rut they get in without all the purple epics. Or whatever rut they find theirselves in that Commies can dump 'em in. And Mythic/Broadsword/WHOever actually listens, and likes it. Because it's all about keeping people out of their closely-knit social clubs. Especially antichristian ones, or ones that simply make it too hard to compete. We're also being accused of just wanting to compete. Or anything. If anyone gets ahead in this game, just see what happens. It gets cut off, or they put in a new card basically, because they turned it into a card game instead of an action game. This gets into our next point.

When we saw the patch that literally made the game's action combat against monsters Less fun, by taking out the final blow animation on Styled Attacks, so basically making the monster combat less fun for everyone who uses a fighter class, and replaced it with a standing still frozen/locked animation with the sword releasing its styled trail but no actual animation coming from it to give that really satisfying UMPH of violence, we knew that Mythic was making really bad decisions with their game. They further never developed the first person mode further to get better. In fact the game as a whole, never got better. It just got worse, focusing on things that most people can enjoy, but instead focusing on the weird niches that most people couldn't handle. Like Trials of Atlantis Artifacts, a total waste of people's time and lives to get ahead of the rest of us who would just enjoy making new alts, enjoying the simple things most people could do. This is why the gap just simply got wider, and those at the top who had their Commie Realm Ranks and Artifacts and other items believed that this only made them more superior to those down below. Again, the railing accusation comes from them that we just Like being down there, and that people just refuse to rise to meet them up there.

The game just isn't that fun to begin with. Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 all came out. Before that, World of Warcraft was better. With Dark Souls 3 being the better of them all because of finally getting Mouse Support for PC that actually worked, allowing for people to play the game like a first person shooter a little bit with the bow and greatbow. The action combat Also got more satisfying against monsters, even mocking dark age of camelot with weapon attacks that simply cleave enemies from swinging, none of this single target tabbing old stuff. It's way better, with its normalized itemization, the game is only for Commies if people try to play the game backwards and stick around for too long, or seeking PvP at the level 120 zone where most people can potentially get seriously hacked and have their PC damaged. But if people just play through it sticking to the real objectives, staying out of Sin, and staying close to God through Jesus Christ, then nothing bad can happen. Just like lightning east to west.

So: The game wasn't that great to begin with. The developers actually stopped improving the conservative things in the game right after release. The developers started making the game only for a niche group of elite players instead. And still continue to believe that this was the right decision, and that no one else would have enjoyed it, and if Anyone Does try to still enjoy it, then they are being accused of just liking being underpowered, broken, and eternally stuck on their character, hopelessly frozen in their state, like it's funny. Except God knows it's not. And God knows it's a stupid game, made by stupid creators, and stupid commies that are all going to the burning hell.

Truth is we are already unchained in Jesus Christ and never were chained except maybe as a witness to testify what the actual hell they were trying to do with the game and the people playing it.

Which is how God will treat the people treating the non-socialists. Since they wouldn't improve their game to begin with, nor to compete with its betters and just stayed in their rut. So they must just like it then. Their own railing accusation against them.

rubbish

Jesus? Communists? Non- socialists? Holy crap. Please dont come back.
  • Wow that was awesome
  • tldr

Also, I have no desire to play without toa and the ability to have water fights.
  • Wow. None of that made any coherent sense.
  • Armagedden wrote: »

asdf

Nay, all of you can’t claim ignorance nor unaccountability by ignoring God. God has warned and informed all of you through Jesus Christ. Not just Jesus. Repent and go with Jesus Christ and God. There is no other way. You’re all demonically possessed. And !in Jesus Christ’s name!, these demons will all be going into those rabbits and pigs when He’s done with you.
  • I would like to be a Pig when Jesus does his thing and sends my soul into one of the two please. Just making it known now.

I've browsed these forums off and on for several months without logging in. Congratulations sir I would like to say you gave me the strength today and through you and jesus i had the strength to login and call you a moron. God bless.

Now I've seen it all. Christianity, communism, and game development all in the same post.
    0yvdflkl5hmw.jpg
  • I'm speechless .... All we need is a reference to aliens and this thread wins hands down as the oddest I've ever read.

em950zh9pp3i.jpg
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Maybe the devs were abducted by aliens, hence why we have no patch.
  • Dale_Perf wrote: »
    Maybe the devs were abducted by aliens, hence why we have no patch.

No return of a Free For All / Mordred server is also an afront, and it goes to show that the above poster with their stupid bunny taking a bath can't handle crybaby emotions, and lets it corrupt the game development.
This discussion has been closed.