Issue Broadsword needs to fix? Or am I being QQ'y

Read, then Discuss: Are fully buffed pets too tanky... and should pet heals be LoS only?

@Broadsword just nerfed spreadheals by increasing the cost and obviously it was a great idea. The whole reasoning behind it is so you can't heal without LoS very well..

Now what about classes with pet heals? Today I was fighting a chanter and ran into a corner away from nukes. Chanter just stuck fully buffed Campanion pet on me. I was hitting chanter pet for 40-50 dmg with melee, chanter pet was hitting me for 300-400. Chanter just stood hidden elsewhere while I battled the pet where, if i wasn't on a Valk the pet would have 1v1'd me too easily.... I would get pet down below 50% rather easily with windmill chain hitting for like 400, but chanter would just spam heal spell. Me and pet definitely battled it out till we were blue in the face, then I ran to find Chanter but he got killed by something else...

Are charmed/summoned pets OP vs melee toons? literally hitting with melee damage for 30-50dmg, but if i was a caster I could nuke pet for like 600-800 and 3 shot it.. There should be a middle ground for buffed pets being so tanky vs melee and so squishy vs casters...

****Also, Pet heal should be LoS just like all other single target heals.

Comments

• I agree. Pets are too much. I’m not really playing a pet class actively at the moment but when I fight them it is nearly impossible to win. Necro disease pet is a bit of a joke as well as the enchanter pet with the back snare...
  • edited April 2020 PM
    As a bonedancer I would say your half right and half wrong. There are some classes in which the pet should be only a minor annoyance to another player and should not be doing alot of damage. Then as far as a bonedancer is concerned the heal pets are too broken and dumb to try to get in LOS to heal the main pet plus the bonedancer pets are half if not most of the damage of the class. I rarely need to use the heal on mine because players either run away or exploit the pets and kill them off. Plus the sub pets do little to no damage to players. Only the main pets do ok damage but it's needed because the bonedancer does not have the mezz and stuns of other classes. Nor the shape changing abilities of the necromancers.

I'll have a post soon for a possible bonedancer re-master that doesn't rely on pets.

As for enchanter/SM/Necro/charmed pets, yes they do way to much damage because those classes don't need a pet to kill anyone effectively. I agree they'd need a LOS heal or have the heal that they use now use 20% Mana per heal. The classes above don't need a pet doing 400 damage...at most 50.
    Post edited by Pleazing on
    Asatruar - Ronnie 10 "
    Corpseshovel - Oldstanky - Nogvi

The reason people hate to PvP is they are afraid of failure
  • Chanters have needed nerfing for a long time also mentalists make it so please
  • @Brut
    Can you stick to topic plz
  • Stuck to it
  • edited April 2020 PM
    Is there no counter to that pet? I mean I am super new, but there must be a class to counter it? I mean you are saying should you be able to solo a caster and a pet as a healer fighter? I dono, sounds like what you are asking for is to have all classes be able to solo each other. The only experience I have in this kind of PVP is heroes of the storm, there is a character with a super strong pet. He can heal said pet, and do super damage while being far away. The pet has a stun also he can hit multi people with. It is almost impossible with any character to try and solo this character if you are attacking his pet. You have to go for the character it self, and only specific characters can attack him with out getting slammed by the pet. So it sounds more like you wanting to nerf a character, because your healer tank which is no way a DPS killer of pet mages by the sounds, cant kill him because you couldn't find the caster, and tried to duke it out with a npc pet.

I don't know all the characters that well, but I know most characters have a stare either with a spell or a weapon hit, what are you messing around with the pet for? You need to snare it, and search for the caster. If you are alone, and the caster is protected by some one, well you are out matched time to rethink what you are doing and run. I know the reaver has a snare, and could easily see a reaver winning a 1vs1 with a enchanter, by snaring the pet, and running away. The little I seen of the scout, it could easily 10 second stun the pet run and find the caster.

Maybe I am totally mistaken about this game, but it seems to me this is a team game, where each character has a use. Trying to say take a tank, and think you are a dps caster gets every one killed, or taking a dps caster and thinking your a tank ect.

Also I am not sure why you are comparing DPS numbers of a healer tank to a dps caster? The healer tank I know of in heroes of the storm is luther, and if you compared luther DPS numbers to that pet class I was telling you about in a match. Luther would get like 20k damage and the pet dps class would get over 90k. Saying that they should lower the dmg of the pet class to equal the healer tank seems wrong to me. Unless this isn't a team game, and every class should have the same chance to beat each other I guess.

Also no I am not saying heroes of the strom is a better game, or that I want to play it. I was using it because I have more experience in that than this, and they seem similar to me, which I def could be wrong. I have like 10000 hours in heroes of the strom, and maybe 30 in DAOC, with 0 RVR experience. So I imagine team fights as I would 5vs5 in heroes of the strom, but more complex. In hots there are serious overpowered characters if you just let them run wild and no one counters them. They all have counters though, and it seems to me the enchanter counter would be a stealth scout, or hunter, telling every one in his or her group where the caster is, what the caster is doing, whos protecting said caster, ect. The counter to the actual fight, would be a tank just bum rushing into every one, while a dps class tried to get the caster, before the healer could react to it.
    Post edited by Lonesouls on
  • @Pleazing you pretty much got it. A few classes should have a tough pet, such as bonedancer. I feel like necro's should have tough pets, but the DPS on the class needs to be nerfed if they want a tough pet.

Bottom line though, buffed pets have been basically immune to pure melee damage since the dawn of time and I can't believe @Broadsword hasn't fixed the issue. How is it any pet can be nuked down rather instantly, but a melee toon can whack at it until the cows come home and not kill it? I understand buffed pets should be tough, but they shouldn't be the tankiest creatures in the game

@Lonesouls you bring up good points. Nobody should be able to sit and melee a pet with the caster healing.. but if that situation occured, I feel like if the pet master sat there long enough, hiding away, healing the pet, then eventually he should run out of mana. AKA a 5min NPC battle where the chanter is just letting the pet do all the work should eventually wear the chanter out in the end. Make the heal spell cost much more IMO.
  • @Lonesouls yes there are counters. As an example, if he was on a valkyrie (I suppose he talked about windmill chain) they get a pet fear in their ML warlord line. So he can pet fear and go for the caster.

He can also try and snare the pet using his side/back snares. If he has high shield it makes it easier, but I doubt since he was soloing.

The biggest thing with the chanter is the cold enchantment they get, which basically has the pet perma snare you. But the valk has charge to counter that.

So actually the valk was a very good counter to the chanter, but yeah pets are good. They were toned down since the pet patch but they are still good.
  • edited April 2020 PM
    @Brut yeah Broadsword can nerf mentalists and enchanters, right after they nerf tics, remove theurgists from the game, nerf caster necros, remove half the R5 abilities fro m alb and redistribute them on hib and mid, etc.

I mean nexros are what, on their 6th or 7th nerf? And they still have OP aspects to them.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Been having some success on a 1/2 temped chanter in Cathal Valley. What seems to be OP with the tank pet is speccing for the cold/snare proc. Plenty of times I've been able to kite someone out due to that and if the pet stuns, I can just turn and debuff/nuke. Not sure how they are in NF but they seem to be somewhat OP in the BGs.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • @shoke I'd like to see Brut deal with 2 fully buff spirit aegis', a rr5 Jade pet, and maybe throw in 3 ice pets 2 earth and 4 or 5 air pets into the mix
  • Take bolt range root away from sorcs and give it to someone else while you're at it.
  • Alb needs a buff, Hib is OP...

Funny however that when there are drafts/set fights, Theurgists are generally banned. Sometimes necros, sometimes Alb all together.

But yeah hib is OP.
  • scerff wrote: »
    Take bolt range root away from sorcs and give it to someone else while you're at it.

People still use this talking point? Okay take away bolt range mez from Sorcs and remove insta mez from healers and Bards and well as removing insta bard amnesia. Sorted.
  • He did say root not mezz
  • It's an unreasonable expectation for every class to be able to counter each other. The pet classes are easily controlled by rooting, mezzing or fearing the pet. Outside of the necro, the heal pets are pretty 'meh' at this point with the BD minion healers being exceptionally terrible. (the supp commander is very nice, but requires a large sacrifice in pet DPS, so i'd say that's fair.)

Furthermore, these classes have to deal with terrible pathing - something other classes don't need to worry about.
  • edited April 2020 PM
    scerff wrote: »
    Take bolt range root away from sorcs and give it to someone else while you're at it.

People still use this talking point? Okay take away bolt range mez from Sorcs and remove insta mez from healers and Bards and well as removing insta bard amnesia. Sorted.

Bolt range root is a new, BS added-feature. Sorcs didn't have bolt-range root for the longest time. I don't think it should be in game at all, for runie or animist either.

To avoid all of the dramatic pet OP/underpowered talk, it absolutely doesn't make sense you can heal your pet out of LOS.
    Post edited by Dale_Perf on
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Dale_Perf wrote: »
    scerff wrote: »

Bolt range root is a new, BS added-feature. Sorcs didn't have bolt-range root for the longest time. I don't think it should be in game at all, for runie or animist either.

To avoid all of the dramatic pet OP/underpowered talk, it absolutely doesn't make sense you can heal your pet out of LOS.

Increase the PP cost the same as the healing classes for grp/spread heal, problem solved for that issue.
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Give ae bolt range root to Earth wizzies, would be fair.
  • That's the point exactly shoke. Just give it to a different class, instead of stacking sorcs...Alb is by far and above the strongest realm, albs that disagree are either in denial or don't know how to play this game
  • while ur at it can u make the earth wizards ns aoe also :wink:
  • And can we get Sharks with Freakin Lasers attached to their heads!!!
  • edited April 2020 PM
    I love all of these comments. @Shoke thanks for educating me on my class. This post was literally the 2nd day I played my Valk in NF and yes, I am Warlord and I totally could have pet scared.

@Ciddire I agree that not all classes should have a counter for every class... to an extent. why should a casting class with a pet be able to simple /stick pet on a class and kite, or hide and heal? where is the game design in that? I am all for having pets hit for lots of damage. or have a strategy in which to use them, but the two points were about A) Broadsword just made a big nerf with LoS healing, but maybe pet healing was overlooked? and B ) why are (some) buffed pets literally 90%+ immune to melee damage but while taking full damage vs casted spells?

I also understand that pet pathing is an issue, but I've been saying for years now that the simple fix for that is to have a pet recall spell that can be used on a timer... either way, not having pet pathing is no excuse for what is clearly a bug in regards of damage via melee/casted
    Post edited by Armagedden on
  • nice to see all agree chanters need a nerf as well as mentalists the stun Nuke time as well needs to be reduced far to long to be stunned in this modern game hopefully devs will enact some serious nerfs on Hibernia.
  • Brut wrote: »
    nice to see all agree

wtf

• Armagedden wrote: »
    I love all of these comments. @Shoke thanks for educating me on my class. This post was literally the 2nd day I played my Valk in NF and yes, I am Warlord and I totally could have pet scared.

@Ciddire I agree that not all classes should have a counter for every class... to an extent. why should a casting class with a pet be able to simple /stick pet on a class and kite, or hide and heal? where is the game design in that? I am all for having pets hit for lots of damage. or have a strategy in which to use them, but the two points were about A) Broadsword just made a big nerf with LoS healing, but maybe pet healing was overlooked? and B ) why are (some) buffed pets literally 90%+ immune to melee damage but while taking full damage vs casted spells?

I also understand that pet pathing is an issue, but I've been saying for years now that the simple fix for that is to have a pet recall spell that can be used on a timer... either way, not having pet pathing is no excuse for what is clearly a bug in regards of damage via melee/casted

The heal value overall is extremely low and can easily be countered by disease. A pet class has no native way to cure disease on their pet outside of CL. There is no pet purge for root or scare, so you can effectively lock down pets via several control methods (way more so than you can a player)

It's very obviously not a bug as it's been in the game for around a decade. This spell is also crucial for PvE use as the pets often bug out into a wall and cannot be healed via targeting.

Without going too far into the weeds: the big LoS heal nerf really only affected the sub realm healers and didn't do much to counter healing via Druid/Healers/Clerics due to the way they traditionally spec.
  • Lonesouls wrote: »
    Is there no counter to that pet? I mean I am super new, but there must be a class to counter it? I mean you are saying should you be able to solo a caster and a pet as a healer fighter? I dono, sounds like what you are asking for is to have all classes be able to solo each other. The only experience I have in this kind of PVP is heroes of the storm, there is a character with a super strong pet. He can heal said pet, and do super damage while being far away. The pet has a stun also he can hit multi people with. It is almost impossible with any character to try and solo this character if you are attacking his pet. You have to go for the character it self, and only specific characters can attack him with out getting slammed by the pet. So it sounds more like you wanting to nerf a character, because your healer tank which is no way a DPS killer of pet mages by the sounds, cant kill him because you couldn't find the caster, and tried to duke it out with a npc pet.

I don't know all the characters that well, but I know most characters have a stare either with a spell or a weapon hit, what are you messing around with the pet for? You need to snare it, and search for the caster. If you are alone, and the caster is protected by some one, well you are out matched time to rethink what you are doing and run. I know the reaver has a snare, and could easily see a reaver winning a 1vs1 with a enchanter, by snaring the pet, and running away. The little I seen of the scout, it could easily 10 second stun the pet run and find the caster.

Maybe I am totally mistaken about this game, but it seems to me this is a team game, where each character has a use. Trying to say take a tank, and think you are a dps caster gets every one killed, or taking a dps caster and thinking your a tank ect.

Also I am not sure why you are comparing DPS numbers of a healer tank to a dps caster? The healer tank I know of in heroes of the storm is luther, and if you compared luther DPS numbers to that pet class I was telling you about in a match. Luther would get like 20k damage and the pet dps class would get over 90k. Saying that they should lower the dmg of the pet class to equal the healer tank seems wrong to me. Unless this isn't a team game, and every class should have the same chance to beat each other I guess.

Also no I am not saying heroes of the strom is a better game, or that I want to play it. I was using it because I have more experience in that than this, and they seem similar to me, which I def could be wrong. I have like 10000 hours in heroes of the strom, and maybe 30 in DAOC, with 0 RVR experience. So I imagine team fights as I would 5vs5 in heroes of the strom, but more complex. In hots there are serious overpowered characters if you just let them run wild and no one counters them. They all have counters though, and it seems to me the enchanter counter would be a stealth scout, or hunter, telling every one in his or her group where the caster is, what the caster is doing, whos protecting said caster, ect. The counter to the actual fight, would be a tank just bum rushing into every one, while a dps class tried to get the caster, before the healer could react to it.

Part of the problem is people refusing to adapt to change as well. When the pet revamp went live, each realm got pet scare spells in a number of spec lines (Ex: Bainshees / Necromancer / Warlock) you also have a AoE petscare as a ML line that tanks and a few casters can select. Reaver's get an AoE scare in Soul rendering and Warden RR5 gets a scare. The point is - several counters exist to shut down pets. However - you rarely see people use these skills. The current meta in the game is to spec lines to just blap people with damage and ignore any utility. (8v8 excluded, that community is fine when it comes to complementary speccing)

• Ciddire wrote: »
    Armagedden wrote: »

The heal value overall is extremely low and can easily be countered by disease. A pet class has no native way to cure disease on their pet outside of CL. There is no pet purge for root or scare, so you can effectively lock down pets via several control methods (way more so than you can a player)

It's very obviously not a bug as it's been in the game for around a decade. This spell is also crucial for PvE use as the pets often bug out into a wall and cannot be healed via targeting.

Without going too far into the weeds: the big LoS heal nerf really only affected the sub realm healers and didn't do much to counter healing via Druid/Healers/Clerics due to the way they traditionally spec.

Sounds like a fix to pet pathing would be of far greater value to the player who owns the pet, rather than an out of LOS heal that can only be countered with fear/disease. It still doesn't make sense to be able to heal your pet completely out of sight. Although it's not a huge balance issue due to pet pathing.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • Valk getting hit in chain for 300-400? What kinda template are you wearing (King's gear).

@Armagedden They already nerfed the chanter pets what 2-3 times since the "Pet revamp patch".

GL

p.s. unnerf the SM Valk pet being completely useless in pve
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Valk getting hit in chain for 300-400? What kinda template are you wearing (King's gear).

@Armagedden They already nerfed the chanter pets what 2-3 times since the "Pet revamp patch".

GL

When an animist pet hits my Savage for 400-600 a swing with capped af/resists, yes, I don't think it's too far off to believe a chanter pet can hit for 300-400. Actually today I noticed my zerker getting hit for 200-300 on chanter pet without any ML9 active that i could tell. So yes, accurate, and nothing to do with a template issue.

@Fateboi you rarely bring anything valuable to a post, if ever.

GL
  • Think was on hib at that the because there was a chanter that said he had his focus damage shield on his pet and some valk was killing him self hitting the pet i think that was the same guy and that would be why he was getting hit so hard
  • Ciddire wrote: »

The heal value is irrelevant here. When a pure melee toon hits a fully buffed pet for ~50-100 damage, when the same class can melee a heavy tank (exclude paladin here) for 150-250+ a swing, there is a big issue and I just hope that people can see that. Everyone knows that you can't melee down buffed pets. It's a real big issue. I appreciate your post about all the anti-pet tools there are ( I am Warlord on the Valk I believe I have a pet scare and just didn't use it, so that's me being a noob at the class) but there should be nothing in this game that is extremely unkillable in any situation except Crystal Titan. Remember the Aegis pet for Necros? Didn't they have to tone that down? (I don't remember tbh, I didn't play very long after necro revamp and just read patch notes that they nerfed them at some point).

My point is, the fact that pet classes can heal their pet out of LoS just doesn't follow Broadsword's recent patch. It might be an oversight, or they might just not care. But more importantly on top of that, the bigger issue, is why are buffed pets basically immune to melee damage?
  • edited April 2020 PM
    Ciddire wrote: »

The heal value is irrelevant here. When a pure melee toon hits a fully buffed pet for ~50-100 damage, when the same class can melee a heavy tank (exclude paladin here) for 150-250+ a swing, there is a big issue and I just hope that people can see that. Everyone knows that you can't melee down buffed pets. It's a real big issue. I appreciate your post about all the anti-pet tools there are ( I am Warlord on the Valk I believe I have a pet scare and just didn't use it, so that's me being a noob at the class) but there should be nothing in this game that is extremely unkillable in any situation except Crystal Titan. Remember the Aegis pet for Necros? Didn't they have to tone that down? (I don't remember tbh, I didn't play very long after necro revamp and just read patch notes that they nerfed them at some point).

My point is, the fact that pet classes can heal their pet out of LoS just doesn't follow Broadsword's recent patch. It might be an oversight, or they might just not care. But more importantly on top of that, the bigger issue, is why are buffed pets basically immune to melee damage?
    When a pure melee toon hits a fully buffed pet for ~50-100 damage, when the same class can melee a heavy tank (exclude paladin here) for 150-250+ a swing, there is a big issue and I just hope that people can see that.
    This statement ignores the fact that the pet can be CCed and taken out of commission with absolutely zero counter to roots, snares or scares. The purpose of these melee pets is to be incredibly annoying to kill for melee classes and to distract/harass them.

However:
    • The WS of the pets is low and most of their attacks should be mitigated by melee classes inherit defense abilities.
    • The melee resistant pets are incredibly slow moving, so snaring them (via style reactives / abilities) and kiting beyond the Casters heal range (2000 units) is an effective strategy for when you have someone in a LOS situation.
    • A Caster who is spamming pet heals is...spamming pet heals, you've effectively removed him from the fight. He is making a choice to keep his pet alive over DPSing or supporting. That may or may not be a justified use of his time.

Moving on -
    'but there should be nothing in this game that is extremely unkillable'
    There are several classes that are nearly unkillable without exploiting their weaknesses . Pallys, Wardens, Friars, Maulers, Vamps and Valks (many more combos.) You've encountered a class that has an ability intentionally designed to harass your class.This is not a new concept in the game.
    'Remember the Aegis pet for Necros? Didn't they have to tone that down? (I don't remember tbh, I didn't play very long after necro revamp and just read patch notes that they nerfed them at some point).'

Necromancers are a bit of a different situation. The spirit form of their aegis is highly magic resistant (still susceptible to CC and scares) I would agree that it's magic resistance needs to be either toned down, or moved to a casted spell in the Servant Spec line where it's more justified. (That line is very weak over-all and it may need some re-adjustment anyways)

The TL;DR: They are 'basically immune to melee damage' because they were designed to be. You've encountered a foil to your class.
    Post edited by Ciddire on
  • Armagedden wrote: »
    Fateboi wrote: »
    Valk getting hit in chain for 300-400? What kinda template are you wearing (King's gear).

GL

When an animist pet hits my Savage for 400-600 a swing with capped af/resists, yes, I don't think it's too far off to believe a chanter pet can hit for 300-400. Actually today I noticed my zerker getting hit for 200-300 on chanter pet without any ML9 active that i could tell. So yes, accurate, and nothing to do with a template issue.

@Fateboi you rarely bring anything valuable to a post, if ever.

GL

Subjective w/out your SS to prove anything. Again we go from chain to now you're a Savage and assuming that "it's not too far off to believe..."

Not sure if you're SRS

GL
  • @Ciddire I have to disagree with most of that however. What I take from all that is you believe pets are justified and there are more than enough counters for their abilities but I just don't think its true. Perhaps for smallman/8man play you will have options like you've stated, but as a solo the situation is much different.

First example is if a pet class is coming at you with pet in tow, and you rupt the class so he/she loses speed, the pet will stay at speed5 until it reaches you. It will also speed up again with their movement speed kicks back in, leaving it near impossible to kite pet classes.

Just my opinions I guess, but in my experience pets often will pass through defenses (block/parry/evade) much more than actual classes with those abilities... Perhaps they are ML9 pet at the time I can't recall, but like I said before my experience on a RR11 Savage vs an Animist pet was not a good one... With buffs up that would make any other class have difficulties hitting me at all, the animist pet hits just about every time.
  • Was this a ML 9 pet? All of those hit hard no matter the realm.