OF vs NF

Since we have time on our hands, discuss what your favorite aspects of OF and NF are. If you really have nothing good about one or the other, explain why :P

Comments

• I dislike them both, but from a solo player point of view I will say this:
    The greatest quality of the Old Frontiers is that players from different realms enter the frontiers from opposite sides. This gives you a sense of "trespassing" into dangerous territory.

Conversely, the New Frontiers is very point based. You teleport/boat to specific hotspots. Bridge camping. Ruined keeps. EV towers. Bow town... Any sense of adventure, purpose or pride is left completely to your own ability to roleplay.
  • OF Landscapes
    OF realm-invasion feeling
    NF 1.0 Keeps
    NF port system
    NF 1.0 bridges
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • edited March 2020 PM
    There were positives with OF, but you can't conceivably revert to them with alb being alb.That design was pure aids and there was a reason why albion was mostly dead. You could camp sauvage to some degree as a small man but it got very old very quickly. I doubt they have the resources to completely redo OF alb either.
    Post edited by Vewdoo on
  • I like :
    OF overall size (much smaller than NF)
    OF porting limited to a single portal keep (instead of porting/boating all over the map)
    OF travel routes
    OF purple guards ripping people apart
    OF no water fights
    OF RAs RUT in general (longer timers, need to think before dumping all your RAs)

NF keep design (with the exception of a couple really strangely designed keeps like Crim, where attackers have a better LoS while attacking than the defenders)
    NF terrain in general (flatter) but it does lack a bit of flavor
    NF RAs R5 abilities (however Alb really got all the good RAs, whereas Hib and Mid have some crappy ones)
  • I like water fights.
  • OF with Roaming Guards at keeps. Back then the frontier wasn't for Pansy's.
    Was fun as hell! You better learn the terrain fast, or you will die trying.
  • Loved Everything with Old Frontiers. Zones were more fun. Old Keeps were cool.
  • Stealth zergs campin portal keeps wont be able to be controlled in OF. way to many of those turds
  • Tower Bridges>Everything. @Carol_Broadsword Bring back tower bridges!!!! ;)
    CATACUSX/Einherjarl - ASATRUAR
  • edited March 2020 PM
    I do miss guards actually being able to beat the crap out of you.

Oh and these nasty a** NF relic temples are the worst. Impossible to defend. supposed to be the last point of defense but it doesnt even have a damn door. /vent
    Post edited by Dale_Perf on
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
  • Move relics to their respective boarder keeps (move the porters and such to the pve side of the gates. Keep the caster/Archer guards in their positions in the walls. Add melee guards to the ground level. Make the guards mimic classes from that realm. You'd have to break down the gate in order to get to the relic.

Thoughts?
  • edited March 2020 PM
    I would prefer OF if the hibs get a port to bolg (for example when owning all of their own keeps). ;)
    - Zergs can do their zerg thing in Emain.
    - A lot of other locations for smallmans and full groups.

I like the instant action Emain is offering. Thats why i mostly played molvik and thid last
    time i logged in on live servers,
    Post edited by Dreadone on
  • I loved the way old frontiers flowed and you know forests were forests and mountains were mountains and each realm was more unique in the landscape. I liked the natural choke points where there was guaranteed action and the mad fights at mile gates. NF is just too much a carbon copy on each side with keeps in the same places and same design etc i liked the new design of stuff when they did folley etc but then that was changed out with the old relic keep design instead of keeping each part interesting and unique to the realm bar trell being kept the way it was. Old frontiers i would have hated playing hib to run all that way to emain each time and that wouldnt work same with being ported back to your own land even though i liked that you were invading the enemies lands so would need nf style of porting to keeps. Some of the NF keeps are terrible like people have mentioned and i would like to see a revamp of these in general murder holes for one.
  • OF terrain wise had the feel of being in another realm, wide open grassy plains of Hibernia, mountains of Albion, snowy Midgard. NF is really kinda like a cookie cutter version of each other.
  • I would prefer OF with a remake of Alb Frontier. If it is a ToA ruleset server maybe make a alb frontier with lots of water for those that enjos water fights. Maybe use the landscape from NF alb frontier, only made a bit smaller, or something like that.

The milegates should probably be redone, add some bypasses, maybe add a water section instead of the milegates (for the people that enjoys water fights) if the alternate server is with a ToA ruleset.

I think Relic Keeps was fun maybe make them a bit harder to take down this time. Instead of a flat 10% addition to the realm owning another realms relic why not make it a +5% for the realm that has taken another realms relic and a -5% for the realm that lost one relic.

I think there should be less teleporting than what is available in NF. Home realm can portal to the keep in the middle but with a portal ceremony, when porting to another realms frontier go back to how it was in OF. Should be some punishment when dying. I do not like boats at all. The NPC hasteners that was implemented in OF was ok but for better speed than that the speed class of the realm and/or realm endurance regen (sprint) should be needed.

I don't think towers are needed, just the keeps. Maybe add a moat around some of the keeps if the server is with a ToA ruleset. Maybe make the keeps look a bit different if owned by Albion, Hibernia or Midgard.
  • I preferred OF for many of the reasons stated above. Most of all I liked the old relic keep system with guards being populated according to the their keeps that your realm owned in your realm's frontier. On Nimue, I was part of a Mid assault on Dun Dagda. We all got up at what amounted to 4am MST where I lived and we had 8 sets of 2 groups. We set out at intervals with each 16 man set charged with taking 2 keeps and the last group taking one keep. This meant we'd face much fewer guards at the Power Relic keep in Hibernia. It worked out surprisingly well though we did encounter fierce opposition. In the end, Midgard captured the relic but there was a lot of confusion as to who had it! A certain shadowblade, whose name currently escapes me, had made off with it and took it back to Midgard through Dodens Gruva. People were really pissed about that but what a lot of fun that was! i have seen nothing like in in NF ever. The Relic Temples are a terrible idea in my opinion.

I would really prefer OF again.
  • Anomally wrote: »
    I preferred OF for many of the reasons stated above. Most of all I liked the old relic keep system with guards being populated according to the their keeps that your realm owned in your realm's frontier. On Nimue, I was part of a Mid assault on Dun Dagda. We all got up at what amounted to 4am MST where I lived and we had 8 sets of 2 groups. We set out at intervals with each 16 man set charged with taking 2 keeps and the last group taking one keep. This meant we'd face much fewer guards at the Power Relic keep in Hibernia. It worked out surprisingly well though we did encounter fierce opposition. In the end, Midgard captured the relic but there was a lot of confusion as to who had it! A certain shadowblade, whose name currently escapes me, had made off with it and took it back to Midgard through Dodens Gruva. People were really pissed about that but what a lot of fun that was! i have seen nothing like in in NF ever. The Relic Temples are a terrible idea in my opinion.

I would really prefer OF again.

There have been similar instances happening in NF, this is certainly not an OF-only type encounter. The NF relic temples are trash, but there have been many memorable relic fights around the gates/rivers.
  • I would love to see OF back , would be hella fun massive fights in between gates.
  • Again, Tower Bridges!!!!!!! Bring them back!
    CATACUSX/Einherjarl - ASATRUAR
  • Old frontiers was awesome, loved the different landscapes each realm had. I learned how to navigate each realm with ease. NF, meh, cookie cutter and bland. Same landscapes in each realm. Too much water, boat rides are bland. NF was the nail in the coffin for me, stopped paying a sub then and won't pay for it now. No old frontiers, no game worth playing in my opinion.
  • edited April 2020 PM
    OF keeps are totally boring compared to NF keeps. You have much more opportunities in NF keeps...they are bigger, have towers, oil, more doors, ...
    Raiding OF keeps must be very boring. Except they push TWF and you put a TWF in OF inner keep...i heard that would be fun.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • Kroko wrote: »
    OF keeps are totally boring compared to NF keeps. You have much more opportunities in NF keeps...they are bigger, have towers, oil, more doors, ...
    Raiding OF keeps must be very boring. Except they push TWF and you put a TWF in OF inner keep...i heard that would be fun.

OF keeps and PBAE hitting through walls/floors/ceilings... good times.....

OF keeps werent designed for long fights, NF were. Although NF keeps have outer towers overseeing the inner keep, @#^%ing brilliant. :#
  • edited April 2020 PM
    Ugmug. That was the SB that jacked the relic lol!! Anyway...
    Post edited by Anomally on