Can daoc get a complete recode?

Ok so let me put this out there before i get started i know nothing about coding so im just speculating here.

What if they where to recode daoc to a modern coding stile lets face it coding in 2020 is much different then in 2000 i would assume. There are other games that have done that.

If im right the hard part with fixing stuff like pet pathing and crashes or other of the bugs there is, is the outdated coding. So if you were to do a recoding to an better code would that help in terms of future bug fixes and patches along with new content. If you were to update the coding then you would know the code better an make it easier to work with. A recode dose not mean remaking the entire game you would still have all the art,lore,mobs story and quest none of that would change.

The game may run better on a new code. Ya would would take some work to get done but not as long as makeing a new game from scratch.

Just an idea for the future. Mabe something you can ask the dev team what they think and if its even possible to do with the game being 20 years old.

If anyone else has any imput feel free to add it would love to know what the dev team and player base thinks on this.
Tagged:

Comments

• You're asking for a new game.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • edited March 2020 PM
    Anything would be better than the current product.

They tried for a F2P model, instead it's a P2W model. F2P accounts are restricted in the items they can use and stats they can achieve (cap buffs, needing to be in a group to achieve them or buying the pot in the mithril shop). No access to veteran items that are game changing items (everybody has at least one of these).

At the same time we screwed over F2P accounts, we then turned and nerfed subs with the loyalty cloak xp nerf (since been buffed again), bp xp scroll level limitations, and overall xp nerf. But even with this XP nerf to sub accounts, they still outlevel F2P accounts easily making it hard to stay grouped together to show new players the ropes.

5 months later we still await adjustments.
    Post edited by Dale_Perf on
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • I think it would be almost as much work as a new game. So several people have to work for years on it.
    But if you dont change anything, why should there be more population?
    Fixing pet pathing and bugs is important, but i dont think it is reason enough to bring people back.
  • Pet pathing will never be fixed here. However, bugs caused by the current dev team should definitely be high on the priority list.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • they cant even find time or figure out how to return shades form to classic figures instead if catacombs.

Also they might not have the funds or bandwidth to fix the stuff they want to. i am just happy the game is still going and is slowly improving
  • @Sepphiroth75 I said we weren't changing it, not that we didn't know how. Please don't put words in my mouth, especially when I gave you a direct answer.

A complete recode is essentially another game and not something on the cards @Names :)
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • If you check out the bug tracker website, you’ll see they fix plenty of stuff.

Instead of bitching on the forums, research and write up your issues, and they will work on it, or let you know it’s not a bug.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    If you check out the bug tracker website, you’ll see they fix plenty of stuff.

Instead of bitching on the forums, research and write up your issues, and they will work on it, or let you know it’s not a bug.

Said fixes come a year after they are reported. Bugs they cannot fix are considered "working as intended". ;)
    A moderate amount of complaining is always warranted when money is involved.
  • if some amateurs in a basement can reverse engineer the code and end up with better code for running a daoc server than the official server ...
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • :'( Sanya wouldn't talk to me like that
  • is sanya still at the "bees"----lost the address :)
  • So, is the "can't find time" part of his post correct then?
  • Could it be recoded? Yes. You could rewrite anything and everything the engine allows you to, though you have to be mindful of the repercussions to existing code and data.

Is it worthwhile to do so? That is where the debate lies...