Blademaster question

edited December 2019 in General Board
Ive a question. As a blademaster, does my skill in blades affect my damage or my chance to hit when I only use dual wield styles?
So, does it play a role whether I skill 50 composite blades or 60 composite blades, if I only use dual wield styles?
Or does it make more sense to skill just 50 composite and put rest points in sth else?
Anyone knows that?
I guess this applies to any dual wield class.
Post edited by Kroko on

Comments

• It affects your weapon skill, so chance to hit.
  • The more points you have in blades the more it raises your weaponskill in your attributes window, but supposedly dual wield spec lines have a hidden weaponskill so as long as you are maxxed out DW using DW styles you will do max style dmg and as long as you are composite 51 blades you will do max base damage... allegedly, I can't confirm but someone else might

So is it worth it to go 50 blades? IMO no. go composite weapon, 50 DW, rest parry. especially if you are solo/duo/smallman

For clarification the weaponskill you see in your attributes tab will NOT raise style damage for DW styles. Will it increase your chance to penetrate defenses using DW styles? It's hard to say I haven't officially tested
  • edited December 2019 PM
    @Kroko the answer above is incorrect (from Skeetz, Armagedden's answer is correct. I sent my message before seeing Arma's answer...)

Melee damage is calculated as base damage + style damage.

Your base damage comes from your spec in the weapon type that you use (blades in your case), and that base damage caps at 51 composite spec. It does not influence your weaponskill.

You style damage & weaponskill comes from your spec in the line that you use (dual wield in your case), and that damage/WS doesn't cap, so you want it as high as you can.

Soooo... Unless you use blade styles, the general thinking is to only go for 51 comp spec and use the leftover points in parry.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Shoke wrote: »
    @Kroko the answer above is incorrect (from Skeetz, Armagedden's answer is correct. I sent my message before seeing Arma's answer...)

Your base damage comes from your spec in the weapon type that you use (blades in your case), and that base damage caps at 51 composite spec. It does not influence your weaponskill.

You style damage & weaponskill comes from your spec in the line that you use (dual wield in your case), and that damage/WS doesn't cap, so you want it as high as you can.

Soooo... Unless you use blade styles, the general thinking is to only go for 51 comp spec and use the leftover points in parry.

The only DW class that really benefits from going 50 weapon is the zerker, because you can Vendo and pull out the 2 hander and 2 shot casters.
  • oops didN't want to quote myself...
  • Shoke wrote: »

Opps sorry for the wrong info, I thought your weapon spec made you WS higher which meant better to hit...So the actual weaponskill number you see means nothing?
  • skeetz wrote: »
    the actual weaponskill number you see means nothing?
    Yep.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    skeetz wrote: »
    the actual weaponskill number you see means nothing?
    Yep.

Not true. Best example I can give is a warrior. Warriors don't have another spec line like DW to raise questions, they just have their weapon. For a warrior, the weaponskill you see in your attributes tab does matter. The higher that is, the more you will break through defenses.

Base damage with an unstyled swing will cap at composite 51, but style damage has no cap (that I've seen). Style damage goes up with every point you have in weapon, so going 50 Axe for example and having 10/10 in template is making sure you're getting the max style damage, as well as the highest WS.

That weaponskill number you see in the attributes tab will also increase style damage (still talking about warrior). So every point in strength will increase that number and you'll do more style damage AND do better at hitting your target.

For DW classes using DW styles however, I don't know if increasing that "visible" weaponskill via more strength would even do anything. Every +skill you have in DW will obviously increase the style damage for DW styles, but there's no way to see that hidden WS...
    Post edited by Armagedden on
  • 11/11 in templates
  • Ok thx for answers. I will try this with 51 composite weapon.
    Remaining question is then what the visible WS means for DW classes and if +str increases the WS for DW styles (probably it does).
  • The visible WS is not super useful for DW classes.

Your second question is a good one, because if you were pierce you would look at getting 700 comp str/dex (i think 700 is the soft cap), so I suppose your base weapon WS has an effect on your DW weaponskill.
    Shoke wrote: »
    The visible WS is not super useful for DW classes.

Your second question is a good one, because if you were pierce you would look at getting 700 comp str/dex (i think 700 is the soft cap), so I suppose your base weapon WS has an effect on your DW weaponskill.

700 str/dex is the cap (soft or otherwise, I've never seen a rise in base damage after this but all the tests I've done years ago are a blur) but that much I am sure. For str/dex based damage its never a good idea to invest RA points into aug str/dex anyways past 700 since the return is much less than strictly str based weapons.

Also if you are pierce you might want to go 50 pierce, 50 DW anyways if you are high enough RR because isnt the 34 anytime have a medium to-hit and defense bonus? probably much better than the DW anytime, but I don't know growth rates anymore
    Post edited by Armagedden on
  • Kroko basically just worry about hitting your stat caps for base damage. pierce = 700 combined str/dex, and I believe str is either 404 or 405
  • Ok ty. Will stay blades for the moment.