Returning Player - But Starting Fresh

edited December 2019 in General Board
So I jumped into DAOC after a long break of about 10-12 years. I've had to remake characters from scratch since I don't have them anymore. Anyways, being able to buy my way to 50 along with CL15 and ML10 was what did it for me. It was a huge step for me to come back; I thought about it for months while EC was being promoted. At 40 years old and with kids it's not easy to sign yourself back up. Unfortunately, didn't think of the realm point issue. Stuck at RR1 has been a huge problem, I'm total garbage without those toys. Without purge I'm pretty much unable to fight back in every encounter met. I can't even find a zerg to leech from since there isn't much of that happening when I was on, just 8 mans steam rolling.

Anyways, I just wanted to focus some of my points on making new players an option as that's what I'm essentially after.

• Make Purge free.
• RR5 at 50. (BG was very quiet) (Mithril shop!)
• Incentivizes small man and solo gameplay.
• Make smaller frontiers. It's too big.
• Promote siege warfare and defenses.
• Realm points quests
• Less stealther hate on your end. People love to kill them, but you've made it so hard to play one.

A couple of random thoughts on frontiers and BG's

• Quicker updates on battles in frontiers so fighting is promoted.
• Followed by tracking. When battles are less frequent it's usually due to being really hard to find. Toss in some new tracking.
• The lingo on locations needs to be labelled on the map. I still have no idea what turkey legs means. LOL
• 50 BG instance.
• Bolstering in BG's and gear handouts.

To Broadsword, you have a great community, while toxicity is all over on these forums you still need to listen to the right people.

For example. I went through this guy channel on youtube and he breakdown one your biggest patches and he raises many good points.

I was quite saddened to see the solo and small man changes. Who came up with that bright idea? From what I gather when they removed some of the BP quests that make action in the mazes available. Small man and solo is very important part of this game.

I hope this helps. I've spent over 500 dollars coming back to this game and it's still not quite playable due to RR abilities. Someone at Broadsword please give me purge and some RR so I can actually play my NS in frontiers. With the massive disparity RR it seems like a easy way to earn some more money from me.

For now, I'm just going to sit and wait. It has worked in the past.

Thanks!

Post edited by Prank80 on
Tagged:

Comments

• I really hope you didn't spend over $500... Purge for free is not an answer, in fact, any RA for free isn't an answer. Stealthers are very easy to play (swapping is ridiculously easy) compared to previous iterations of stealthers. You know to k ow what to fight and when to fight since you get a pick and choose most of your fights.
  • We don't need anymore Ras given free they did that with a few Ras and classes and all but 1 have been reverted, and charge should go back to being a ra for light tanks also.

I agree frontiers ATM is too large considering we also have Ev.

We just got rid of rp quests... They were bad for game.

Stealther are easiest they ever been... Poisons are now spells instead of actually having to poison weapons and having enough or even the right ones available.

From what I'm seeing you expected to come back after 10-12 yrs and be right back on even grounds without understanding the new norms ECT due to paying. Your gonna get your teeth kicked in alot til you relearn game than you can return favor to everyone else
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • edited December 2019 PM
    I'd be ok with a RR5 token and/or including it in the instant 50/ML10/CL15 MTX item to help with the RR gap. No RAs need to be free. I'm currently grinding out RR in CV on my 49 Berserker. It's slow but significantly less frustrating than being 50 at RR1. I hope more players take this approach.

The frontiers are big for the current population; however, consolidating action to a single zone (EV) doesn't work either as it just promotes zerging which kills other play styles. Changing the cross sword indicators back to what they were could be helpful.

Realm Point quests are already in-game but are not worth as much before the most recent patch. Again, as they were before promoted zerging via deathblow stealing. You earned more RPs completing quests than killing players. Only adjustment I'd make regarding current quests is to increase Solo Road to 10K RPs and add a 5K RP reward to Roaming with Friends.

Promoting solo and small man action could be accomplished by increasing RPs per kill. That way solos and small mans have a higher earning potential than larger groups of players. Bringing back the underpopulation bonus would also help.

There's more incentive to defend than capture keeps at the moment unless you outnumber the defenders (see EU time). Scaling the defense and capture bonuses to be similar may help. Coupled with a population bonus, this would allow siege fights to go either way and be beneficial to everyone.

There isn't a lot that needs to be adjusted. Small tweaks here and there can go a long way.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
    I really hope you didn't spend over $500... Purge for free is not an answer, in fact, any RA for free isn't an answer. Stealthers are very easy to play (swapping is ridiculously easy) compared to previous iterations of stealthers. You know to k ow what to fight and when to fight since you get a pick and choose most of your fights.

Ya I did, I'd rather burn 500 then burn an entire month or more leveling up a characters to find out I was gimped at RR1. I would have been royally pissed! I don't regret my decision as much. :)

My nightshade is incomparably difficult to play compared to my other classes. I boosted several other characters too. But that's not a complaint. I'm fine with it.

Please ask yourself why should I bend over and play this game so you can totally and without a doubt destroy me up to a point I deserve the right to have a fair fights. I'm not asking RR12, but perhaps how I would end up coming out of the BG's capped or say RR5. What's the point in those booster packs if they are making you worse off?

Boduke wrote: »
    We don't need anymore Ras given free they did that with a few Ras and classes and all but 1 have been reverted, and charge should go back to being a ra for light tanks also.

I agree frontiers ATM is too large considering we also have Ev.

We just got rid of rp quests... They were bad for game.

Stealther are easiest they ever been... Poisons are now spells instead of actually having to poison weapons and having enough or even the right ones available.

From what I'm seeing you expected to come back after 10-12 yrs and be right back on even grounds without understanding the new norms ECT due to paying. Your gonna get your teeth kicked in alot til you relearn game than you can return favor to everyone else

Explain why was it bad? I'm interested to hear the cons to that.

Honestly, yes I was hoping to have some even playing grounds. Is that crazy to expect the future of this game to be a little more fair? I'd bet my last dollar you'll be without a game if it doesn't.

• Progression and fairness are mutually exclusive in this game @Prank80. Progression is an incentive to play. Handing out RAs for free diminishes the value of progress. Remember, classes aren't identical between the realms so this game is intrinsically unfair. The only fairness you can hope for is population.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Progression and fairness are mutually exclusive in this game @Prank80. Progression is an incentive to play. Handing out RAs for free diminishes the value of progress. Remember, classes aren't identical between the realms so this game is intrinsically unfair. The only fairness you can hope for is population.

Ok sure. I can see it being more of a mess anyways to organized. On the other hand putting up RR5 to the mithril shop could be easily done and doesn't change mechanics or class balance in it's current form.

It was bad because you made more rps from the quests than you did from the kills to complete the quest most times. That in my book is bad if all you do is run over lesser with greater your rps should be **** no risk no reward.

Game is perfectly fair... Learn take your lumps and sooner than later you will the person doing the lumping. Why you expect to come into a nearly 2 decade old game and to compete right away was your own mistake this isn't a fps it's a mmo there will always be the advantage of time played.

I'd rather the game dies outright than becomes a p2w/fortnite every1 is the same thing.

Sorry if i come off hostile ect just suck at writing.
    Post edited by Boduke on
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
  • To add -

Broadsword attempted to address this with the free sub Bugg pot. You get a massive RPs bonus sub RR5 that stacks with all other RP % bonuses. You can buy a MTX RP buff and stack it w/ RP buff items for an absurd RP boost until RR5. So, a minimal amount of time investment is required to get to RR5.

I agree with some of the others and am opposed to MTX realm rank tokens.
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if they added a RR5 token for another $25-50.

If people want to pay it, so what? It's not your money... let people spend the way they want to, and buy whatever provides them fun.

They will still get destroyed in rvr (RR != skill), and will be worth more RPs to the vets that farm them. :)
    Post edited by CDFTW on
  • @Prank80 as for bgs on hib its herorus as for the time he runs its normally morning to afternoon usa time. Leegen sometimes runs a hib bg in the evenings but i think he has a hard time because hibs just about only 8man at that time unless we try to get our relics back.

As for alb rescue still runs his bg in the evening at the same time us mids run ours under perffff or nordain.

Anna's mid bg normally runs at the same time hero does.

Hero will hit keeps if there is no bg roaming and leave ports open as to get some action.

Rescue will try to roam but will rarely hit us mids anymore unless we hit there keep even when they out number us

Perffff and nordain will roam trying to get open field fights but will try for keeps if everyone else is to much of a pansy to come fight us. .

As for accomplishments that i know of perffffs mid bg has taken 3 or 4 relics at the same time the even is a post aboult it on this forum somewhere called (mids doing work)

Hero is the only rr14 in the game and probably can lead better then the other bg leaders #donthatemeperffff your still my favorite leader.

Rescue i have not really run with him. But his bg normally has to higher numbers.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong on some of this.
  • @cdftw it's a slippery slope, sure start with rr5 now they complain it's not enough rr10/11/12/13 you get the idea.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
  • I mean, people already buy R12 toons from other players... how would it be any different?
  • CDFTW wrote: »
    I mean, people already buy R12 toons from other players... how would it be any different?

I should have done that!

• Prank80 wrote: »
    CDFTW wrote: »
    I mean, people already buy R12 toons from other players... how would it be any different?

I should have done that!

Precisely. It's not even a bannable offense. It literally happens every day, and nobody cares... but God forbid if you try to give money directly to Broadsword for the same thing lmao.
  • There is a finite amount of rr12 accounts for sale. BS selling realm rank would be unlimited. Not really sure that is a good idea.
  • Well, I don't think it's a good idea to promote the selling of accounts between players when the accounts can be stolen back on a whim with no punishment doled out. It makes more sense (to me) for BS to regulate such a thing to prevent those types of issues, while keeping the funds channeled to the game's developers.

Besides, it doesn't have to be R12 (R5, R7, R10, whatever)... but I wouldn't care if they did, regardless.
    @Boduke
    I dont see a problem there. RR5 is ok, more not, just to get some standard RAs...no reason to move it higher.

@Prank80
    But you should try a bg if you have the possibility.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • Boduke wrote: »
    @cdftw it's a slippery slope, sure start with rr5 now they complain it's not enough rr10/11/12/13 you get the idea.
    Kat wrote: »
    There is a finite amount of rr12 accounts for sale. BS selling realm rank would be unlimited. Not really sure that is a good idea.

These are valid arguments NOT to allow RR to be purchased via the MTX store.
    Ciddire wrote: »
    To add -

Broadsword attempted to address this with the free sub Bugg pot. You get a massive RPs bonus sub RR5 that stacks with all other RP % bonuses. You can buy a MTX RP buff and stack it w/ RP buff items for an absurd RP boost until RR5. So, a minimal amount of time investment is required to get to RR5.

I agree with some of the others and am opposed to MTX realm rank tokens.

EC accounts do not benefit from the Buggane potion and are therefore stuck to grind out RR. Even with the +50% potion, RPs are low for EC accounts.

The MTX store as it stands does two things:
    1.) Provides unique and custom cosmetics
    2.) Allows players to exchange their money to save time

The former does nothing to enhance game-play but the latter has the potential to become pay to win. Right now, Broadsword has struck a decent balance between the two regarding MTX. Price points are a different story but what is available works well (until you buy it =P). While I'm not entirely opposed to RR5 being available for purchase via the MTX store, I fear it may lead Broadsword to sell drops, templates, abilities, crafters, and other items that resemble a pay to win model.
  • selling RR would not be p2w

selling MLs and artifacts on a classic server would be p2w
    selling RR would not be p2w

selling MLs and artifacts on a classic server would be p2w

True, but then RR would be devalued more so than it already is. Progression is necessary in this game and that is accomplished primarily through RR. Being able to purchase RR removes progression entirely. Why stay then? Not enough mad action around to keep players interested without some noticeable reward.
    I managed to get about 8 k tonight on my shade during various keep siege battles. Lots of action it seemed so that is good, but very little realm points. I used to get that on my shade solo in 4-5 kills. Another 60 days of that and I'll be RR5 lol.

• Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Progression is necessary in this game and that is accomplished primarily through RR. Being able to purchase RR removes progression entirely. Why stay then?

because there would then be people to fight/kill
    Progression is necessary in this game and that is accomplished primarily through RR. Being able to purchase RR removes progression entirely. Why stay then?

A place like this exists already. Except there is no one to fight/kill other than those you bring with.

If you could buy Realm Rank I'd just quit the game.I'm here to play an MMO, and progress my characters over time. If I could just instantly buy it, no reason to play. You'd just have your toxic/addicted players staying.
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • But mofang could fund the whole server then...
  • I don't know if they will have an MTX store on the new server (whatever type it may be), but I will preface my post by saying what's typed below should not apply to a "fresh start" server.

Let's say on Ywain that R5 cost $50, and R10 cost $500. (R10 is about 12x more rps than R5, so it's a slight discount at 10x the price of R5)

Do you think people would pay for either of those? If not (or not many), then you should have no worries about what I'm suggesting. If you think people would buy it to the point where it would be a problem on Ywain, then imagine how much it could help the devs before/after launch of the new server (more CSRs or extra development time). Also, if it were being "abused", then at least there would be a higher population on Ywain.

(I have VE title (10+ yr sub) and all my toons combined are roughly equal to a single R12. Even though I'm suggesting the idea above, I would not personally use it.)
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Progression and fairness are mutually exclusive in this game

And that is the problem they definitely should fix if they want new players in this game anytime soon. Some progression needs to be left in just for the group of archives, but RvR should be fun even without any progression at all. If progression is the only thing that keeps you in the game you will be gone at RR12. If fun RvR is the reason to keep you in this game you will stay forever.

There are essential RAs that you just need to be able to play RvR. Mythic put those in because they had to fix the countless stuns and mezzes that were completely overdone. A fix for RvR should not be handed out after playing days of RvR, it should be given to everyone who enters RvR for free. Otherwise people just quit this game for good because the game sucks (from their perspective). Following a carrot on a stick, a promise that the game will soon be fun once you invested a lot of time, is not something you can use to keep modern gamers motivated. If it is not fun right now they play something else instead.
  • Then the game is not for those players @Menos.
  • KatKat
    edited December 2019 PM
    I leveled a couple of lowbies in the 10 days...Hit rr6 on one this weekend - 80% solo in rvr. This is a non-issue
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Well the difference for me between buying someone else's account and buying rr from broadsword is that the bought account was actually played and earned the rps.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
  • even if the account was farming bot accounts in poc, it was earned :)
  • Well cdftw if they was farming themselves in poc the account should be terminated and not able to be sold.... So that's broadswords mistake
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
    Giving RAs for free is one of most stupid things ive heard.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • Yep most these people come from fortnite age it seems not understanding this game has what 45 unique classes. I could give them 1 of my templated rr11 characters and they would still lose just as much as a 50 in Kings gear because they have been gone 5-10 yrs and don't even know what everybody can even do nowadays.
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Faatkid-druid
  • This is not an instant gratification game move on if that’s what you want from it. Selling RR 5 tokens would just waste your money. You would die just as fast to someone who knows their class and now be even saltier because the wasted money after realizing it’s the same even with you having 5. RR plays far less of a role in fights than you’d expect. Take time leveling and learning your class. Fight in BGs when you can. Find a guild and some friends they will help with grouping and running and building your RR and class knowledge.
    Impounded - Warrior__________Gimpound - Champion
    Chantsy - Paladin____________Shaquilleoatmeal - Berserker
    Cowtastrophe - Hero__________Shrimpsticks - Infiltrator

Feel free to add me on Discord: Impounded#5743

>Daoc Videos<
  • They should totally let you buy r5. It's just buying a week (or two) of pain running rp quests. Previously I've been "no" on this issue, but now that you can buy 50 and Cl15 Ml10 it just makes sense.

Totally get 40 with kids and haven't the time to grind or play when there's a BG.
  • Impounded wrote: »
    This is not an instant gratification game move on if that’s what you want from it. Selling RR 5 tokens would just waste your money. You would die just as fast to someone who knows their class and now be even saltier because the wasted money after realizing it’s the same even with you having 5.

Disagree for 2 reasons. You can already buy 50cl15ml10 so how is insta that and dying different than also RR5.

The difference is actually that if purge is down on a low rr NS (and they don't have vanish), it's going to die to most classes. If they don't have MOS7, it's going to get eaten by most stealth groups. Saying some amount of rr doesn't make a difference for those who "know how to play" their class is just silly talk.

That's like saying a low rr caster "with skill" should be able to beat a high rr assassin who gets the jump (PA) on them. If you don't have purge you are dead before your stun wears off especially with 0 PD. That's not a skill gap its an RR gap.

Koe wrote: »
    They should totally let you buy r5. ...Previously I've been "no" on this issue

I agree with your post, whole-heartedly. For the entire time I played, basically, I would have been strongly against letting people "buy RR". I no longer feel that way. Due to the reasons that @Koe has mentioned, in addition to the facts that @impounded is making here:

Impounded wrote: »
    RR 5 tokens would just waste your money. You would die just as fast to someone who knows their class and now be even saltier because the wasted money after realizing it’s the same even with you having 5. RR plays far less of a role in fights than you’d expect.

EXACTLY, so why not let the new/returning players spend the cash?
    Post edited by CDFTW on
  • I'm less opposed to the idea of allowing RR5 to be purchased alongside the instant 50 / CL15 / ML10 MTX. However, that has to be the limit. Don't forget this game isn't catered to one particular play style. RR is definitely more of an issue solo than in a group or a zerg. Using a 1v1 scenario to justify RR gap being the primary issue for returning players is a straw man argument.
  • RR5 doesn’t take that long. I wouldn’t care if people buy it.

As stated people already buying RR12 accounts, and then name changing toons.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    Koe wrote: »
    The difference is actually that if purge is down on a low rr NS (and they don't have vanish), it's going to die to most classes. If they don't have MOS7, it's going to get eaten by most stealth groups. Saying some amount of rr doesn't make a difference for those who "know how to play" their class is just silly talk.

That's like saying a low rr caster "with skill" should be able to beat a high rr assassin who gets the jump (PA) on them. If you don't have purge you are dead before your stun wears off especially with 0 PD. That's not a skill gap its an RR gap.

1) Sneaks have many tools to escape, Mezz pot, snare pot, disease, side snare, side stun, wall climb and Blur in some cases can be utilized to escape. All without purge and vanish... (Learning your class) You don't have to be RR5 to have purge only need to be RR 2 and you can get purge2.

2) You can run MoS9 and you will still get eaten alive by stealth zergs. That is completely irrelevant. Starting out you can run MoS5 and purge 2 for 20 points aka rr3... So at 3L1 you can have Purge2 MoS5 and LW1. It will take a day maybe two depending to hit RR3.

3) If perf chain is landed it doesn't matter what RR the sin is they should come out on top vs a low RR caster. Welcome to the world of DAoC. Casters are and have always been prey to sneakers. (In most cases) That has very little to do with RR.
    CDFTW wrote: »
    EXACTLY, so why not let the new/returning players spend the cash?

I wouldn't mind one bit. Them giving money to BS is never a bad thing. But it will make them resent the game and be less likely to stick around. Although they most likely wouldn't stick around anyways since they seem to be very hard set on being good at a game instantly.
    Post edited by Impounded on

>Daoc Videos<
  • Real cute, please spec less then MOS9 so you can get seen at twice the distance before the patch...

High RR stealther gonna give you that business before you knew what happened boi
  • Imagine actually thinking you need MoS9 to compete lol

>Daoc Videos<
  • Impounded wrote: »
    Imagine actually thinking you need MoS9 to compete lol

Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • Don't derail threads please.

Buying RR is not something we currently plan to offer for sale.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Don't derail threads please.

Thank goodness you said BS isn't going to sell RR tokens. I refuse to play a pay to win game. Let them earn it like the rest of us.

• she said no current plans :)
  • No current plans = years down the pipe line.
  • Badgor wrote: »
    Don't derail threads please.

Thank goodness you said BS isn't going to sell RR tokens. I refuse to play a pay to win game. Let them earn it like the rest of us.

This.