Animist or Theurgist

Hi there,

both of these classes intrigues me and I've levelled both to 30+ just to get the feel of each class but I am still having a hard time deciding on which to play.

How do both of these classes fare in solo rvr and possibly pve? Would any of you veterans out there spare me some input so I can better decide on what to run with? Perhaps a few pros and cons. :-)

Comments

• Go Animist.

You will be able to PVE easier and have a massive zerg to assist.
  • I'd say theurg, just b/c multiple forms of CC is important to solo.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards theurg due to CC they bring and I feel like they'd be the better choice when soloing, however I DO enjoy the frontloaded damage bombers give.

I'm currently going through the different patch notes trying to make sense of the changes. Not a fan of the 16 -> 12 pet limit to theurg, though I guess it doesn't really make a difference in RvR?
  • 4 less pets isn't really a big deal solo... maybe noticeable in 8v8/zerg fights though
  • edited December 2019 PM
    For solo rvr id do theurg. Just spam some stun pets on your enemy and its basically done ^^
    Post edited by Kroko on
    Animist is more tactical in PvP, Theurg is more straight forward, both can be very powerful depending on the situation.

With the addition of the permanent pet for Animists, PvE is significantly easier now for Animists than it is for Theurgs.

Both classes are hell of a lot of fun. ;)
    Post edited by Menos on
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    Theurg also have you considered a Tic?

I levelled one the other day just to give it a go and they were really fun. I did feel like the theurg and animist had more potential in solo rvr, however. I'll be honest, I'm leaning towards theurg, but I'll have to research som more on the animist.

Menos wrote: »
    Animist is more tactical in PvP, Theurg is more straight forward, both can be very powerful depending on the situation.

With the addition of the permanent pet for Animists, PvE is significantly easier now for Animists than it is for Theurgs.

Both classes are hell of a lot of fun. ;)

What PvE in particular? Is there any solo PvE-content that is worth doing that I can do with an Animist and not a Theurg? From what I've gathered farming raw plat just from grinding isn't viable any more and doing the curse content for items, then selling the items in the housing zones is the meta. Is this true? I'm so out of touch not having played in a decade. When I last played I just grinded mobs for raw gold, lol.

Thanks for your input. :-)

• Haven't played my theurg since the ghost quest and zerging etc. (Or the game really but I digress).

Is the pet cap for theurg still a big deal in zergs and keep fights? Like, it was so bad I was only able to get a couple pets out before cap was reached, there were other theurg around...
  • Doing curse9/10 and selling items can still be done. Only problem it is hard, sometimes impossible, to get a grp going, because not enough people. But ive never seen an ani in curse9/10.
  • If affects basically all PvE: an Animist can run his AE pet almost everywhere and farm stuff easily, Theurgs have to kill one-by-one and pets cost a lot of power. So if you want to do any form of PvE farming Animist is the far better choice.

The AE farming spec however isn't very viable in PvP. With a PvP specced Animist you can however still do the mass-turret farming PvE, which allows you to clear a camp easily, but then you need some time to recover your power. Theurgs can kill single high-level enemies certainly easier than Animists, because they can pet-spam everything to death, but as soon as you try to kill multiple enemies as a Theurg you will run out of power very fast.
  • Menos wrote: »
    If affects basically all PvE: an Animist can run his AE pet almost everywhere and farm stuff easily, Theurgs have to kill one-by-one and pets cost a lot of power. So if you want to do any form of PvE farming Animist is the far better choice.

The AE farming spec however isn't very viable in PvP. With a PvP specced Animist you can however still do the mass-turret farming PvE, which allows you to clear a camp easily, but then you need some time to recover your power. Theurgs can kill single high-level enemies certainly easier than Animists, because they can pet-spam everything to death, but as soon as you try to kill multiple enemies as a Theurg you will run out of power very fast.

To add a little to the above -

Theurg's primary role in RvR groups / zerg is disruption. Slap a few pets on a groups healers / casters and an effective player can lock down an entire group / zergs heal structure. There's a much higher skill threshold to effectively playing a Theurg than playing an animist. However, a well played Theurg is a wonder to behold.

Verd Animists (pve spec) are actually quite trolly in zerg / defense. They get the shroom pbaoe that is a fantastic disruption tool in keeps / towers. Plus, they also get the aoe blade turn spamming mushroom buddy (4x spec mobile pet) that's pretty awesome. It's definitely not versatile as arb or creeping spec, but it has some seriously fun moments.

• Ildra wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards theurg due to CC they bring and I feel like they'd be the better choice when soloing

You'll give up your dreams of visi soloing very quickly in this game.
  • Theurg.
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
    Buffsteria wrote: »
    Ildra wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards theurg due to CC they bring and I feel like they'd be the better choice when soloing

You'll give up your dreams of visi soloing very quickly in this game.

Not true. You can solo well at some times of the day. Depends maybe when you play.
    Post edited by Kroko on
  • Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided to main a theurg. Having too much fun not to. :-D