Just roll out a fresh new server!

Yah so it will probably make ywain end but who cares. If you can get a new si/toa server i bet we would see population at around 1500-2000k
Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2019 PM
    Maybe total users but not at a time. But will never have 2000k. Maybe 2k
    Post edited by Minibard on
  • I'm down for a seasonal or ladder play. Leave Ywain intact as it is now, but have to reroll your character to level 50 and retemp using the seasonal or ladder only gear. You can use the Pendragon server for the season or ladder, but leave Ywain as it is now. Seasonal play lasts say 3-6 months at the end auto dumps (transfers) all the toons back into Ywain so people can still play them on Ywain.
    Minibard wrote: »
    Maybe total users but not at a time. But will never have 2000k. Maybe 2k

We knew what he meant. 1.5 - 2 k. I'm for getting something fresh. I agree with OP. 75 on each realm seem weak and You would think that those in control could do something to get this baby rolling. [edited] I made the suggestion to give a 1 time pardon to everyone that was banned to get their acct. restored. Don't think it will happen, but it's a start.
    Hopefully the new changes will help with population. I love this game, and hope it lives on forever.
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • Will go the same way as the Classic servers back in the days... you remember them? The servers that had only 10% of their initial population after 4-5 months?
  • And that is something we'd keep in mind when the time comes to an alt server, of any kind, Cathul. Endless Conquest first, we are close to finishing point with our play for free model, any update or info on an alt server won't be until after EC.
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • That’s why the season/Ladder would only last say 3-6 months. Once pop starts to decline you’re prepping for the next one. Rotating rule sets I.e. Mordred/Classic/OF etc.
    easy to make a season end and auto transfer everyone back in time for say Hallowed dungeon on Ywain.
    I didn't think the seasonal idea was a good one at first, but having experienced the rise and decline of some other place and how live is right now, I feel like it would be pretty good.

People get sick of the game once the hardcore get RR distance, resetting every 3-4 months has potential. Also allows freedom in the ruleset as you are not trying to find the exact balance between Classic purists and more progressive players (as an example).

Would also allow for creative scenarios a bit like D3 is doing with themed seasons.

Not sure how you would manage templating though. An itemization revamp would be required to keep templating simple and quick and not have to level crafters every 3 months and require BG raids to get must have items.
    Post edited by Shoke on
  • Cathul wrote: »
    Will go the same way as the Classic servers back in the days... you remember them? The servers that had only 10% of their initial population after 4-5 months?

Maybe we have a difference of opinion/recollection, but there were at least 3? years where classic was tons of fun with lots of action. I do agree that after say 6 months they merged all three into one, if memory serves, but that was just a demand issue and there was so much action on classic for many years.
    I’m thinking would prolly have to level up crafters or use the quest items or artifacts to template.
    That necklace quest was best in slot in Shrouded Isles. Darkness falls diamond seal farming produced some gear items as well. If you where lucky enough to get a group going while your realm owned it.
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • And that is something we'd keep in mind when the time comes to an alt server, of any kind, Cathul. Endless Conquest first, we are close to finishing point with our play for free model, any update or info on an alt server won't be until after EC.

Is there a link as to what will be accessible using the Conquest model on an existing higher RR account or has that information not been published yet? B)
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • ZifZif
    edited October 2019 PM
    I logged in again after not playing for about 3 years. There is a lot different but a lot has stayed the same. The main one is the population of new players competing with people that have been around for a long time. With a game that is 18 years old, anyone left has multiple 50's and several RR9+. It's hard to compete with that. While it's 100x's easier to get RPs now than 10 years ago (god RR5 took forever!), you can't really expect anyone to come in fresh and enjoy getting rolled.

Also a new server allows people to hit pve zones again, see people playing in all the cities, etc. Given free-shards hit high numbers, I don't see why they don't just make a new server and point all the EC people there. If Ywain wants to have fights there, so be it. But you won't get many new players back with EC if you are groups of RR2's trying to fight RR11's. That and everyone that does join will just end up soloing most things because there isn't anyone really to talk to.

Make a new server and let us relive the old days, make new connections, and enjoy the game again. Not like you would lose anything by trying.
    Post edited by Zif on
  • edited October 2019 PM
    What @Zif say is accurate, getting started as low RR while the average RR of players are high is not easy for a returning/new player. However its not something you can't fight. Theres very few decent set groups, and yes they roll most of average players, but not because of RR. The RR inflation and time itself made alot of average-below average players high RR too over time, which after some practice not that hard to beat, but people who been playing for really long time constantly improving their gameplay are, regardless of RR.

I think soloing is the worst as a returning player with lower ranks, but if you rely on grouping with at least a few, get a really decent temp together which might cost some time you will have a chance, as DAoC still really skill-driven. The key in willingness to improve your gameplay, admitting you in learning phase again to pick up the pace is respected by most I think. If you on hib, give me a PM. :)

Good luck out there!
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • KoeKoe
    edited October 2019 PM
    Zif wrote: »
    I logged in again after not playing for about 3 years. There is a lot different but a lot has stayed the same. The main one is the population of new players competing with people that have been around for a long time. With a game that is 18 years old, anyone left has multiple 50's and several RR9+. It's hard to compete with that. While it's 100x's easier to get RPs now than 10 years ago (god RR5 took forever!), you can't really expect anyone to come in fresh and enjoy getting rolled.

Wife was telling me how much fun she had last night fighting 3 low rr albs several times. She said she would get one of em or two and they'd rez, and end up killing her, but it was fun (she hoped for both). The point is they got probably more rps than she did, and they grouped up.

It might be more accurate to say that nobody expects a r2 solo player to win a fight if the higher rr opponent has all toys up. Still, getting r5 is fairly quick, and at that point you can become a lot more competitive. Joining the BG for rps is easy on each realm (Probably Hib>and then Mid/Alb), or defending keeps daily with a group and assisting on a target will get you rps. You will die some but its daoc.
    Post edited by Koe on
  • edited October 2019 PM
    Implement a Seasonal or a Ladder style of play that rotates every 2-6 months. I.e Mordred, Classic, ToA, Labrinyth. Once people get bored it’s already planning for the next rotation. They can use Pendragon for the server at the end automatically transfer toons onto Ywain.

This leaves Ywain Live intact and completely separate. Easy to make rotations end to coincide with Hallowed dungeon or Midwinter events.
  • my biggest concern with EC is that the way it is formulated, it is totally inappropriate for competitive players.

Nobody that wants to run other formats than zerging will play EC with the buffing and RA points limitation. So the EC accounts that actually have a chance of staying will join zergs.

Zergs are already totally out of control. It's the only playable format right now. RvR is running circles in EV trying to kill 1-2 out of a 5 fg zerg.

I don't see a single action from Broadsword to remediate the issue. There is absolutely no incentive for people to run lower numbers.

I love the idea of a seasonal server with a rotating ruleset. I think that's great and would keep my interest for sure.

However, realistically speaking, based on broadsword history, we know this will never happen. Making this game f2p took them over 2 years from the first announcement.

So... Please find a solution to break the zergs, or at least provide incentive for players to break away from the zerg to enjoy 8 man, smallman and solo formats again.
  • Lol this game is 18 years old and barely has a stable population left and people are still complaining about zergs and not getting fair fights like it’s 2004. Maybe realize it’s not going to change ever?

As far as a new server, I’ll put it more simply: I’m not going to play - free or not - to play on ywain with people that have 12 high rr 50s on all realms. I know a lot of others that won’t either. Start a new server and I know five people that will sub on day 1.
  • I just came back after a long hiatus. I have had my account since 05 and have been playing off and on since then. My experience so far is the game is just dead right now theres almost zero action in the battlegrounds and for me i only have one character that is lvl 50 with even a remotely decent Realm rank. So i have to agree with the above poster by saying that you really need a new server with a fresh start to at least allow newer people to come in and be on somewhat even grounds. After a 6month or year you can always merge that server back into ywain and then those people should be on somewhat more even ground. As it stands right now i probably wont stay subbed for very long ill give it a month or so after EC comes out to see if the population can become meaningful enough for me to enjoy the game again.
  • Only active BG is basically molvik. Although CV is sporadic at times. One level 50 calling the game dead is kinda short changing yourself but possibly more action to BG when f2p goes live.
  • Don't see how that's gonna happen since they took every action possible to prevent people from staying in the BGs.

Want to suicide to lose XP? Nope, removed xp loss from pve death.
    Want to remove RPs? Nope, can't have access to RP reset NPC.
    Want to do xp off /rp off? Nope, need to use mythril.
  • Seasonal servers without OF and SI would be the sweet spot, there was a good reason OF changed for NF, it was just poorly designed, nothing, is great about it, nobody said DAoC was the greatest pvp/rvr game designed while OF was out, its because of NF :)

The few people who chases the nostalgic daoc launch feeling should not be listened to, its such a small % of the people and they dont even last long playing, or activiely engage i nthe community, its 100% the same scenario of listening to entertainers getting a few twitter posts about someone being offended of what they said, and then they change their personality for a very small group of people, only to have their diehard fans leave them.

6-8 months for a seasonal server, how many expansions do you want to go through in that amount of time?, or should you even go through any expansion and just start in the minotaur expansion?, what patch do you want to play in, Mythic patch of Broadsword patch?, things like this should be voted for probably, and depending on feedback from the first launch what brings MOST OLD PLAYERS BACK! (KEY, WHAT BRINGS MOST OLD PLAYERS BACK, AND MAKES THEM WANT TO STAY AND PLAY)
  • Patch level 1.9x is when I enjoyed the game the most.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • @Tyrantanic
    What Era was that? I enjoyed Dragonslayer Era the best. Item/Balancewise that is.
  • Dragon's Campaign. It's the era I believe you're referring too as well with Dragonslayer gear.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • Yap, meant that. Stopped using Dragon's campaign term as some did belive it's the Cursed Campaign recently. Those were amazing times.
  • I want this game to survive and succeed just as im sure the few of you who take the time to post here do also. Im just saying in my opinion if you want new and older players to return its gonna take some leveling of the playing field. I think having a fresh server start for people to begin on an even playing field is the best chance at retaining people thats just my opinion and the way i feel about it.
  • I want this game to survive and succeed just as im sure the few of you who take the time to post here do also. Im just saying in my opinion if you want new and older players to return its gonna take some leveling of the playing field. I think having a fresh server start for people to begin on an even playing field is the best chance at retaining people thats just my opinion and the way i feel about it.

The only way to "level the playing field" is a hard reset. Most likely they will not ever happen on Ywain as they would 100% alienate the paying customers who helped sustain Live. This is achievable by turning Pendragon into a seasonal or ladder style of game play. Rotational rule-sets for a 2-6 month duration of time.

No rr12's running you over left and right, starting from scratch and doing the best you can with what you can craft or quest just like the golden days long since past.
  • I just came back after a long hiatus. I have had my account since 05 and have been playing off and on since then. My experience so far is the game is just dead right now theres almost zero action in the battlegrounds and for me i only have one character that is lvl 50 with even a remotely decent Realm rank. So i have to agree with the above poster by saying that you really need a new server with a fresh start to at least allow newer people to come in and be on somewhat even grounds. After a 6month or year you can always merge that server back into ywain and then those people should be on somewhat more even ground. As it stands right now i probably wont stay subbed for very long ill give it a month or so after EC comes out to see if the population can become meaningful enough for me to enjoy the game again.

I would re-roll some toons on a server like that if i knew that eventually they would be folded back into Ywain!
  • i would do it if you only got to pick one realm to play.............
  • I woulld reroll on a new server. if the population was there.
  • If they did a new server i think stopping at the df revamp would be perfect!

Also i still want toa stats updated!
  • I will play on any server, any patch setting, with any ruleset... as long as there is a decent population. ;)
  • Just subbed again and I agree with a new server. It's just the same ol' same ol'. Everyone is crazy high RR and any "new" player is going to get so discouraged they won't stick around long.
  • edited November 2019 PM
    There’s an easy way to make daoc great again reroll back to the patch before the ruined Keeps and removal of towers.
    Restore the labby access return agramon to its original self make the taking of keeps the only way a realm can get a port in a realm.
    Concentrate resources on bugs like pet pathing and item and ablative abuse.
    If you persist in class changes 1 class per realm at a time then small changes.
    Remove all use items and ablatives from game.
    Remove ease of respecting to again prevent abuse of the system.
    See if you can do a go fund me to upgrade graphics and game engine and ui Jacobs did it with unchained I’m sure broadsword would get far more money.
    Keep the free to play model.
    Get the game on steam.
    [edited]
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • Just subbed again and I agree with a new server. It's just the same ol' same ol'. Everyone is crazy high RR and any "new" player is going to get so discouraged they won't stick around long.

They won't gut Live - Ywain period. The only hope per say is that they use one of their test servers to roll out a Seasonal or Ladder style of game play. My idea is that it would run 2-6 months in duration and have rotating rule sets i.e. Classic/OF/Si/Mordred/Labby, they could even implement a version for Gaheris. You would have to start from 0 and level up, template, form new guilds and alliances etc since it's 100% separated from Ywain.

At the end of the season or ladder it auto transfers your characters back onto Ywain so you can continue to play them if you'd like. They could try out different rule sets and make the season/ladder end to coincide with major events on Ywain, like Halloween or Midwinter.

If it's f2p then you could upsell via the Cash shop (Mithril) store. I know for sure that I would gladly pay $ for a permanent account vault or bank. Game like Path of Exile base their ENTIRE business model on something similar to this.

Greetings fellas. I got an email from broadsword for my accounts and find myself here now. I played daoc starting Pre-SI (pre 1.64 nerf) on the palomides server, and when they clustered everything again with the Classic Servers. Classic servers were great until they clustered them.. What has always made this game great was the realm pride, clustering was the dumbest mistake they've ever made. that was what killed the classic servers.

So i got the email and came back to see if I could actually play my chars again..however they've blocked me from playing any of my 50's sm's, runes, chanters, wizards, therugists..on all of my accounts. Oh but I can play a warden! from scratch!

sure let me, some player from long ago (cant believe my char is still in a guild), roll up a 1L1 shitty tank class on any of the realms and go try to fight against zergs and 8mans..sounds run right?

And in that is where my interest in coming back died. Look at the classes they will let you play..its basically the worst classes (the ones that will NEVER EVER GET A GROUP). How many RvR groups are going to take a 1L1 Warrior, or BM?

so while it's a good idea to go f2p, dont lock out the favorite classes. The very classes you locked out, are basically the only ones who have a chance at getting any RPs in a zerg arena.

[not needed- please see the rules]
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • I swear this forum is beginning sound like a support group.
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    I swear this forum is beginning sound like a support group.

my naem Is uha auh ahu huh hueauha ehu hu aehu and I have a problem
    @The_Bullvine If you can use Voice Comms (listen), assist the MA and follow your group, then guess what you'll get a group!
    Granted Midgard is generally unfriendly, but they run a daily open BG. BM or a Warrior that can Bodyguard will be able to get a group.
    Certain classes are EC excluded for a reason, but again staying on topic you can for sure some type of group or yanno even venture out in the solo areas alone.

GL
  • Huehuaehue wrote: »
    my naem Is uha auh ahu huh hueauha ehu hu aehu and I have a problem

You definitely have a problem :p
  • sure let me, some player from long ago (cant believe my char is still in a guild), roll up a 1L1 **** tank class on any of the realms and go try to fight against zergs and 8mans..sounds run right?

And in that is where my interest in coming back died. Look at the classes they will let you play..its basically the worst classes (the ones that will NEVER EVER GET A GROUP). How many RvR groups are going to take a 1L1 Warrior, or BM?
    [not needed- please see the rules]

A BG is probably a good start at the beginning. Its easy for druids, wardens, bards, mentas to find a grp there.
    By the way, most people agree, that there should be more classes for EC accounts. Maybe they will come.
    Seasons should probably last between 9-11 months. Enough time for the casuals to get invested, and the hardcores to get rr12. Then theres downtime while BS does holiday events and sets up the next server rotation.

Should limit it to 1 server (unless insanely popular, then cluster after a couple months), set RVR realm switch timer to 1hour (no pve timer).

If the seasons are shorter (6months), would have to triple tradeskill leveling, maybe have the RP buff bonus tiers (lower bonus at rr4,5,6,phaseout), maybe even buff XP so people could play a couple alts, ect.

Edit: Also, make the whole server subscription only, or only allow EC for clerics/druids/shaman, this will let people have their pve buffbots, but strongly encourage subbing to play in the season, while allowing friends to play together even if limited.
    Post edited by AlaskaMike on
  • Yah so it will probably make ywain end but who cares. If you can get a new si/toa server i bet we would see population at around 1500-2000k

I'm thinking Sepphiroth is Right. New fresh server would be soo much better. A classic with SI. Have unlimited accts.
    I'd pay 30 bucks a month for that. I just don't see RR5 new F2P going anywhere. I actually think its a stupidest idea ever.. Just make the game cheaper, or Classic and they will come. I really don't want to use 6 qbars./tired
  • Classic servers never last, legit or otherwise. Best bet would be a seasonal server that resets periodically with a different patch setting and/or rule set).
    AlaskaMike wrote: »
    Seasons should probably last between 9-11 months. Enough time for the casuals to get invested, and the hardcores to get rr12. Then theres downtime while BS does holiday events and sets up the next server rotation.

Should limit it to 1 server (unless insanely popular, then cluster after a couple months), set RVR realm switch timer to 1hour (no pve timer).

If the seasons are shorter (6months), would have to triple tradeskill leveling, maybe have the RP buff bonus tiers (lower bonus at rr4,5,6,phaseout), maybe even buff XP so people could play a couple alts, ect.

In path of exile they can last anywhere from I think 2-5 months or so depending on the league. The last month it's typically dead because everyone is already waiting for the next one to roll out, knowing they are about to get transferred soon.

There used to be significant downtime in between, but last few times I played it was only a week or two and you roll right into the next league (season/ladder).
    If you make it too long and people dislike the patch / rule set then they won't bother to sub for that period of time if they dislike Ywain. They will most likely just wait until a rule set comes up that they want to pay/play i.e. OF or Classic or Si no TOA, or Mordred. My guess is that they only have a single server to spare at least at first.

Honestly part of the fun is the crafting and templating and leveling your characters to 50.
    People are tired of getting crushed by the rr12's when they come back to DAOC. (can you blame them).
  • No, I’m tired of new servers.
  • I like killing rr12's, when I do o.o
  • Its not that hard to kill rr12
  • What is mostly frustrating for new players is not a RR12 experienced group that beats you in (mostly) fair combat. Yes they are stronger, but you see what you can become and might be encouraged to go for it. What seriously frustrates people is to get one-shot by assassins the moment you step out of the safe-zone of the keep and then watch him simply restealth and do it again a minute later.

Seasoned servers with a ladder might be an interesting idea, Dungeons & Dragons Online - also an ancient game - has very recently shown how you can attract a lot of people with such concepts. But the core issue are still overpowering gear and imbalanced/badly designed classes like assassins. There are other classes, like Bonedancers which have serious issues during keep fights as pets are so easily killed, yet they are one hell of an overpowered mess in solo play. Rock-scissor-paper PVP is not a fun concept.
  • @Carol_Broadsword Any idea when we will get some new information on this alt rulest server that has been talked about for years now that EC is released?