Disappearing Npcs and Players

What's the solution, is there one? It isn't as bad with players although it does happen, but anytime I'm templating, crafting, using search merchant or materials merchant it will happen at least 15-20 times an hour.

I don't want to pick on BS if it somehow has to do with my rig, but if there is any fix at all I'd love to know. This can not be a good thing that remains once EC is live, and certainly doesn't look good to new players. It seems crazy to me that it has gone on this long, is there a plan to deal with it or is it mostly only hppening to me?

Comments

• Mirewolf wrote: »
    What's the solution, is there one? It isn't as bad with players although it does happen, but anytime I'm templating, crafting, using search merchant or materials merchant it will happen at least 15-20 times an hour.

I don't want to pick on BS if it somehow has to do with my rig, but if there is any fix at all I'd love to know. This can not be a good thing that remains once EC is live, and certainly doesn't look good to new players. It seems crazy to me that it has gone on this long, is there a plan to deal with it or is it mostly only hppening to me?

The majority of times I've fixed this issue it's due to poor packet handling by the players local equipment. (i.e. Routers / gateways) All online games are susceptible to packet issues, but older MMOs are the most susceptible due to dramatic changes in the internet since their creation.

Easiest way to fix is to enable QoS on your gateway (if supported) or your router and set the computer (or if it allows by application to set DAoC) as the highest priority. Be advised, you will lose between 5-30% of your internet speed depending on the quality of your home networking equipment. Due to the vast amount of manufacturers of networking equipment, there isn't a single guide to enabling QoS. Check the user manual for your product and there's typically a guide on enabling and using QoS.
  • Hmm, quality is typically excellent so I'd be happily willing to try. That would go nicely with another post I saw about making loading times shorter. I have a pretty crazy rig with ssd's etc and still find the zone times unisially slow considering. On the other hand I'm pretty spoiled too.

I'm definitely going to try what you said, I can't stand the disappearing bug anymore and it almost seems like its getting worse. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about it either so it must be mostly me.
  • Mirewolf wrote: »
    Hmm, quality is typically excellent so I'd be happily willing to try. That would go nicely with another post I saw about making loading times shorter. I have a pretty crazy rig with ssd's etc and still find the zone times unisially slow considering. On the other hand I'm pretty spoiled too.

I'm definitely going to try what you said, I can't stand the disappearing bug anymore and it almost seems like its getting worse. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about it either so it must be mostly me.
    It typically has nothing to do with your actual computer. Most router manufacturers in the US and EU prioritize speed over quality of signal. This causes a fair amount of packet collision and packet loss in the signals sent to your computer. Newer netcode in games can account for the issues due to changes in internet standards. (remember: DAoC was developed when dialup was the standard) Technically, this really should be a thing your ISP also provides, but this would dramatically increase overhead on connections, which would lead to increased costs and so on.