Closing DAoC Utils

All,

I regret to let you know that DAoC Utils will be shutting down on July 31, 2019.

A few years ago, this project started as a simple replacement for gimpchimp. At that time, with the release of the item database, I felt there was an opportunity to make a tool that would help the community as a whole. Over the last few years, this project has grown beyond what I could've imagined, and has helped thousands of new/returning/existing players figure out how to template their characters. Building this gave me a tremendous sense of pride, and something that I'll always look back on fondly.

Though I had *many* more plans for the project, it took a halt last year when I lost a lot of interest in DAoC as a whole. I just couldn't keep funneling my time (I'm a father of 3 with a demanding job, etc) into a project that I would no longer use, and was not financially sustainable.

Unfortunately, I was unable to come to an agreement with Broadsword about the future of this project. We talked a bit, and though I felt I was very reasonable, Broadsword decided that it was best to walk away and pursue an in-house solution. I hope that it is something they are able to deliver for you in the future, and wish we could've worked something out.

At this time, I would encourage all of you to begin working on migrating your templates into another solution. Unfortunately, I won't be able to assist with that, so I'm extending the shut down date by a month to give you all adequate time.

I hope, through it all, that I built you all something you found useful and enjoyed using. Good luck out there! Who knows, if this game picks back up one day and/or I start playing again, I might get the energy to work on the project again, though I find that exceedingly unlikely.

Best,
Hopz

(crossposted on the postcount)

Comments

  • Sorry to see it go. It was a great tool and resource. Any plan or anyway to convince you to open source what you have done?
  • Ewer wrote: »
    Any plan or anyway to convince you to open source what you have done?
    This right here is the single most important question that needs to be answered.
    Yromain - Huntress
    Buffsteriya - Healer
    Buffssteria - Shaman
  • I personally have not heard of this program till now but I thank you for all you've done. You cannot blame Broadsword for not being able to pay for outside sources because I'm sure staff pay is already too much, still hate to see you go though.
  • Thank you for the time and effort you've put into this project. The chimp feature as well as having a place where up-to-date templates can be found has been greatly appreciated. Many a returning player have been refered to it, and it always warrants a glance before constructing your own. It's truly sad to see it go given how immensely useful and important it's been to the game.
  • I have loved this utility for the ease of use. There isn't anything else like it at the moment. Thank you for all that you have done to support the community.

    nv0bld6byot6.jpg
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Sad bunny time.
  • This sucks. Was my favorite template builder. Very easy to use
  • This suck, cost cant be that high, that BS cant host that side. And we really need an good template builder for this game.
  • Tubben wrote: »
    This suck, cost cant be that high, that BS cant host that side. And we really need an good template builder for this game.

    I suspect he was trying to sell it to them, not just get them to host it/give it away. There is a preview of their version of the item database in the newsletter and they claim a template building tool will come after. Hopefully it will be up to par with daocutils version
  • Thank you for developing and supporting it. Shame BS wouldn't just buy it. It works, people like it and its got a tonne of features. No faith that this will be replicated as well
  • Going back to Loki won’t hold my breath for the official version

    GL @Hopz
  • FYI get templates off before it closes.

    Also it looks like the copy button isn't working any more under the view build report.
  • Looks like the "craft" button no longer works either.
    Yromain - Huntress
    Buffsteriya - Healer
    Buffssteria - Shaman
  • Can anyone archive and host the temps in a suitable format, rather than 100 poeple downloading what they can before it gets shut down?
  • Daocutils is broken. I guess Hopz didn't want to wait until the end of the month.
    Yromain - Huntress
    Buffsteriya - Healer
    Buffssteria - Shaman
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    Daocutils is broken. I guess Hopz didn't want to wait until the end of the month.

    My sig still works.
    Da ant familyDa fly familyDa spider family
    https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/daredant
  • Auberne wrote: »
    Can anyone archive and host the temps in a suitable format, rather than 100 poeple downloading what they can before it gets shut down?


    Download gearbunny and make your own temps.
    Da ant familyDa fly familyDa spider family
    https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/daredant
  • DaRedANT wrote: »
    Auberne wrote: »
    Can anyone archive and host the temps in a suitable format, rather than 100 poeple downloading what they can before it gets shut down?


    Download gearbunny and make your own temps.

    How you import that database into GBX?
    Yromain - Huntress
    Buffsteriya - Healer
    Buffssteria - Shaman
  • Buffsteria wrote: »
    DaRedANT wrote: »
    Auberne wrote: »
    Can anyone archive and host the temps in a suitable format, rather than 100 poeple downloading what they can before it gets shut down?


    Download gearbunny and make your own temps.

    How you import that database into GBX?

    Database is there already, no need to import anything.
    Da ant familyDa fly familyDa spider family
    https://www.daocutils.com/chimp/daredant
  • @Hopz This is an amazing project that you started. It is a real shame that broadsword doesn't want to help preserve it. Is there anything we can do as a community? I remember you saying that you got it down to around $60 a month. Is that still accurate? Can we have a monthly gofundme or something for us as a community to monitor and keep pooling money into on a monthly basis to at least keep it running? Even if it isn't the most updated with (god plz no) new items?

    Again, thank you so much for all your work.
  • xuu wrote: »
    @Hopz This is an amazing project that you started. It is a real shame that broadsword doesn't want to help preserve it. Is there anything we can do as a community? I remember you saying that you got it down to around $60 a month. Is that still accurate? Can we have a monthly gofundme or something for us as a community to monitor and keep pooling money into on a monthly basis to at least keep it running? Even if it isn't the most updated with (god plz no) new items?

    Again, thank you so much for all your work.

    +1

    Thank you very much, I can't imagine how much time and resources you put into this, let us know if there's anything we can do to help, we are extremely grateful for your work.
  • I would definitely be interested in helping to fund this if you could keep it going as @xuu and @Callofduty suggested.
    OAKEN - ASATRUAR
  • would help as well
Sign In or Register to comment.