recent trends in rp / population.

http://www.excidio.net/herald/stats/realm/

since new year, for midgard the population and rp gains have dropped by over 70% and the tendency doesn't seem to stop. my own rp gains have dropped with similar amounts. i find myself standing more and more in godrborg and not playing. from what BS is communicating (at least they are communicating) we can't expect free to play anytime soon. by the time free too play arrives there might be no population and action left. there might not be anything left that might people who want to return to ywain to come back.

coupled with the lack of punishment for cheating, which drove so many people away from the game, how can the trend be countered ?

by the time free to play arrives, how many people will still be playing Ywain ?

if CU arrives before free to play, how many people will still be playing Ywain ? after CU arrives, how many people will still be playing Ywain ? in the current time frame where free to play arrives ywain will be empty except for a few ... "character junkies".

Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.

Comments

• Hello Mr Warlock Bomb :)
    No question that the population has dropped. What I don't understand is that for EU Prime time (except for Anna) Mids have basically disappeared. Hibs and Albs while in smaller numbers, (4 to 5 groups for each realm) are still out and about. I actually like the battles better because the plethora of Thane hammers and static tempests was frustrating. I don't know who the new Alb players are but they are quite clever.
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • edited February 2019 PM
    its all about leaders or people willing to lead - either in a group scenerio or a zerg scenerio.

if there are leaders there will be followers.

@gavner has positioned himself as some new blood to lead midgard in the weekends, We dont see many group leaders on mid currently however - yesterday primetime we saw a good 3-4+fgm hit hib zerg at beno.

looking forward to seeing new blood in action @gavner, @Beetleguisse 's following seems nice and stable with the leadership fearless of even hitting defended keeps.

good on you guys.

Post edited by tald on
    Siambra wrote: »
    Hello Mr Warlock Bomb :)

azyumo90ynib.jpg

are you referring to this :D ?

if only i would have had warlocks with me that would have been more capable of spamming just pbaoe and fallow up with single target nukes to kill the leftovers we would have wiped herorius...

but yeah, that was a PBAOE and not a mine bombing.
    Post edited by Muylae on
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
    tald wrote: »
    its all about leaders or people willing to lead - either in a group scenerio or a zerg scenerio.

@gavner has positioned himself as some new blood to lead midgard in the weekends, We dont see many group leaders on mid currently however - yesterday primetime we saw a good 3-4+fgm hit hib zerg at beno.

looking forward to seeing new blood in action @gavner, @Beetleguisse 's following seems nice and stable with the leadership fearless of even hitting defended keeps.

good on you guys.

yeah, big respect to @gavner to taking up the mantle of @Xyorman , @smeger, @Paindancerr and other mid bg leaders who have done such a good job of leading Midgard, and who have left. /worship /respect.

on occasion i have led mid defensive BG's, but i just don't enjoy doing it........ i don't enjoy it and i don't have fun doing so. last time i led a mid bg and wiped herorius and then went on to take the ghost keep in crim, .. then i went on to try to take one of our relics back, i instantly lost half of my numbers going to nged and found myself fighting so much people who were in my bg who were defending the relic in nged and i wiped.

so for the moment i'll occasionally coordinate mid defences when i see that herorius's numbers are not greater than /who NF, because if herorius has more people stuck to him than there are mids in NF, it's better to employ scorched tactics and not defend and deny him rps by not defending and being there.

if you have no chance of winning, it's better not to fight imho and in that way to persuade your enemy to feel like it's a waste of time to take keeps in your realm because they won't get rp.
    Post edited by Muylae on
    Basically most of my close buddies are playing less or not at all. Right now things are looking down but for sure will catch an upswing.

BS has been proactive at lining up quests back to back since basically since thanksgiving to keep things going.

CU wont be released this year from what I can tell but it’s till the elephant in the room.

GL
    Post edited by Fateboi on
    About those realm timers...
    Post edited by Arcanixx on
    Great PB @Muylae I really do miss old times PB teams!

I checked population stats yesterday too, for sure losing Mid BG leaders and Alliance leaders together all at once left a visible dent on Mid, while at same time we can see Hibs already picking up, and Albs started loosing fewer people last week.

I hope the drop will slow down, and we as players, and still active participants of live can also help to gain back some of who has been lost recently. The hype elsewhere will fall a bit at least in a few months, maybe we can get some of our players back later, if we keep things busy around here. Of course for that, we will need Broadswords assistance, but that has been spoken about pretty much everywhere.

Also, thanks for the kind words @tald and @Muylae , Mid got to join the drill too, although Asatruar been very helpful, and Elitists been around too still with a few others making groups.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • Last few days there has been more Alb activity in the early hours(6-8am est).
  • I had to log off but Hibs relics were in danger a little bit when I left for work.
  • on occasion i have led mid defensive BG's, but i just don't enjoy doing it........ i don't enjoy it and i don't have fun doing so. last time i led a mid bg and wiped herorius and then went on to take the ghost keep in crim, .. then i went on to try to take one of our relics back, i instantly lost half of my numbers going to nged and found myself fighting so much people who were in my bg who were defending the relic in nged and i wiped.

if you have no chance of winning, it's better not to fight imho and in that way to persuade your enemy to feel like it's a waste of time to take keeps in your realm because they won't get rp.

Yup ^^^ This. Realm Timers!! Make the realm timers 30days for all I care. So sick of this xrealming hot trash. People that do this ruin the game. Someone actually tries to step up and you leave him high and dry, and then log on your hibs and defend a relic that the cow got for you in the first place. Technically you are all cheating but the game allows it @Carol_Broadsword @John_Broadsword. @Garvner @Muylae and anyone else trying to pick up where the former bg leaders left off. Don't give the xrealmers and other realms the satisfaction. This is the reason Midgard is a ghost town.
  • Yes Mr Muy :) One of those tiny quivering bodies is mine (the one biting your shoes). Everyone in the BG kept saying that Muy is a nice guy but I just tried harder. Just you wait.. I will frown so fiercely at you that you will be frozen in place!
    b3cm8nuf7db2.jpg
  • Vanzblade wrote: »
    on occasion i have led mid defensive BG's, but i just don't enjoy doing it........ i don't enjoy it and i don't have fun doing so. last time i led a mid bg and wiped herorius and then went on to take the ghost keep in crim, .. then i went on to try to take one of our relics back, i instantly lost half of my numbers going to nged and found myself fighting so much people who were in my bg who were defending the relic in nged and i wiped.

Yup ^^^ This. Realm Timers!! Make the realm timers 30days for all I care. So sick of this xrealming hot trash. People that do this ruin the game. Someone actually tries to step up and you leave him high and dry, and then log on your hibs and defend a relic that the cow got for you in the first place. Technically you are all cheating but the game allows it @Carol_Broadsword @John_Broadsword. @Garvner @Muylae and anyone else trying to pick up where the former bg leaders left off. Don't give the xrealmers and other realms the satisfaction. This is the reason Midgard is a ghost town.

Adapt. Most people just want a good fight rather than taking a relic successfully. I never expect to capture a keep when it's well defended but it promotes action which is the goal. It can be frustrating when you lose people but it happens. I don't let the prospect of wiping stop us from trying. That doesn't mean I will intentionally suicide on larger numbers, but I will always give it the old college try. We hit Beno three times on Sunday and finally took it during the last attempt. We lost a good chunk of players since it was late and I expect Rescu did as well. Nonetheless, it was fun and quite lengthy.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Props to you for doing that @Beetleguisse!! So many bg's are too damn scared of /release. People should want fun competitive fights, not shy away from them. Its much like the stealth zergs. I have no issue with 8+ stealthers roaming. What I have issue with is when those 8+ stealthers avoid anything with remotely the same #'s, and they only go after solo's and small mans.
  • null
    ppl like you that rather dont get out there cause they could die are one big reason the pop left to XXX, its simple if you dont know your enemy you got less problems to die vs it. you even charge away while your grp is still fighting, so your behaviour mr. is a big part of the issue and seems like it is an midgard problem since alb does well defending vs herorius mostly
    Adapt. Most people just want a good fight rather than taking a relic successfully. I never expect to capture a keep when it's well defended but it promotes action which is the goal. It can be frustrating when you lose people but it happens. I don't let the prospect of wiping stop us from trying. That doesn't mean I will intentionally suicide on larger numbers, but I will always give it the old college try. We hit Beno three times on Sunday and finally took it during the last attempt. We lost a good chunk of players since it was late and I expect Rescu did as well. Nonetheless, it was fun and quite lengthy.

Your view is amusing to me, because clearly you know the minds of Midgard.
    Post edited by Vanzblade on
  • RonELuvv wrote: »
    Props to you for doing that @Beetleguisse!! So many bg's are too damn scared of /release. People should want fun competitive fights, not shy away from them. Its much like the stealth zergs. I have no issue with 8+ stealthers roaming. What I have issue with is when those 8+ stealthers avoid anything with remotely the same #'s, and they only go after solo's and small mans.

Seconded.
  • Siambra wrote: »
    Yes Mr Muy :) One of those tiny quivering bodies is mine (the one biting your shoes). Everyone in the BG kept saying that Muy is a nice guy but I just tried harder. Just you wait.. I will frown so fiercely at you that you will be frozen in place!
    b3cm8nuf7db2.jpg

thanks for putting a smile on my face with that post :)
    Gig wrote: »
    null
    ppl like you that rather dont get out there cause they could die are one big reason the pop left to XXX, its simple if you dont know your enemy you got less problems to die vs it. you even charge away while your grp is still fighting, so your behaviour mr. is a big part of the issue and seems like it is an midgard problem since alb does well defending vs herorius mostly

yeah, sorry for running away ONLY after both healers are dead or if herorius runs into us or group leader says 'run'. i'm really ashamed. one day i'll make a video of me running away ... :D

.. i have to get out of this place /rofl (as in this situation that is LOST)

i die a lot, yeah, sure, and i don't mind. but when the fight is lost, i try to get away.

mandatory suicide is not my thing.
    Post edited by Muylae on
    failed at trying something.

anyone know how to link a youtube vid at a certain part in time ? didn't work for me.
    Post edited by Muylae on
  • Gig wrote: »
    @Muylae

its the 2k19 pvpbase in general and i agree - if you dont know your enemy you have less problem dying to it.

which is why i've been a voice for anonymity via spam, target and /stat to enemy realms.

(yes it opens up farming and exploitation - which will just need to be policed automatically or internally)

but out of everyone to pick on why pick on someone like @muylae lol there are 100s of ppl that don't even venture into PvP terrority unless they outnumber the enemy 8v1 at least.

I was both saddened and shocked to return to Live and realize there are less than 100 playing in each realm after activating my account. Clearly, population is the biggest problem facing the longevity of this game--and if this isn't a crisis point for the future of DAOC, nothing is.

[edited]
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • Some of the numbers will return once the novelty wears off that “other” server.
  • some people already are returning. we just need to keep action going to make sure that people who get dissatisfied with that thing, have something to return to.

that includes in anna's zerg (my time frame) for instance grouping people you would not normally group, basically being less leetist than usual, to involve those random returning players an experience that is positive to them and might make them stick around instead of just leaving again.

most semi fixed roaming groups and groups in a BG should be able to accommodate for one returning or new player in an attempt to make returning or new players stick to the game and improve population.

there is nothing worse in an mmo than feeling alone and not getting groups. some people won't get a group if they ask for it in region, because people know that person sucks. but for all of our combined hope for a future of this game, we need to involve those people we don't know.
  • I hate to agree with Mr Warlock bomb person but he has a point (and a pointy head)

dpxmsw6ccazv.jpg
  • Muylae wrote: »
    some people already are returning. we just need to keep action going to make sure that people who get dissatisfied with that thing, have something to return to.

that includes in anna's zerg (my time frame) for instance grouping people you would not normally group, basically being less leetist than usual, to involve those random returning players an experience that is positive to them and might make them stick around instead of just leaving again.

most semi fixed roaming groups and groups in a BG should be able to accommodate for one returning or new player in an attempt to make returning or new players stick to the game and improve population.

there is nothing worse in an mmo than feeling alone and not getting groups. some people won't get a group if they ask for it in region, because people know that person sucks. but for all of our combined hope for a future of this game, we need to involve those people we don't know.

This. The sudden drop in population is temporary. While it may not return to its previous state, it's starting to creep back up based on Excido data. As long as the current community remains helpful towards new and returning players, we will continue to see some growth. I suspect the nostalgia is starting to wear off on some players.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
    Not even worth it. Nevermind; have a great day everyone.
    Post edited by Puritain on
  • While I do agree with @Muylae and @Beetleguisse , on a few days its quiet difficult to do so.

Weekend numbers started to pick up, so all realms can achieve something, running BGs is quiet rewarding already. However on weekdays even prime time numbers can be extremely low (20-30ish on NF) on a few days even if not all. This includes those, who will want to 8 man only, bots, etc. Making a BG on a few days is quiet hard at least on mid. Hibs do great job sticking together, so weekdays are pretty much their 2-3fg is the only thing to be found with guaranteed death on lower numbered realms.

I like action over fear of death, but suicide will turn away casual player too, so with current population, sometimes its extremely hard or even impossible to get even 2 FG running. I will try to run BGs on a few weekdays too, when population supports it, like we did on Monday, but it's all up to playerbase to support it. On the other hand even if BGs are necessary for many player to achieve something in current environment, there will always be some who think it's beneath them to join BGs, regardless the lots of support others showing towards them.

I hope we are on good route, will keep going on with weekends, but we need to pick up the speed first, to allow all realms to do something on workdays too. However, I try to remain positive, some days the increase in numbers already shows.

@Puritain Sorry for your experience mate, yes, not the greatest time to return to, not so long ago in December we had a lot of active players. We still have our dedicated base, and hopefully slowly picking back those who left to have fun elsewhere for a while. If you are on mid, hit me up on PM.
  • Thanks for the post Gavner, I might do that later today.
  • You know the best thing about this thread was the pics pf the doc marten boots
  • My BG will be running on Alb on Monday and Tuesday nights (Rescu's days off). Hope to see ya out there @Gaven
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • doc marten the standard uniform of the disenfranchised KKK youth for centuries now. Those white people, so mistreated.
  • Who is this Siambra with awesome stats and doc martens...
  • tald wrote: »

good on you guys.

advice from @tald about the state of the game.... interesting.
  • 92e6n6c81vjk.png
    Tald has all the answers
  • Clumsy wrote: »
    advice from @tald about the state of the game.... interesting.

nothing wrong with being a follower, if it wasn't for you and ppl like you - leaders would have no-one to lead.

• Spike in rps was what the GK? Daily quests still make it artificially inflated tbh
  • The beta was closed during the holidays, so a lot of people went back to ywain during the holidays, followed by the massive exodus on Jan 12
  • @Youeatbeans I keep trying to figure out "awesome stats" in reference to any character I play. That isn't the usual response :) Anyone who has grouped with me will tell you that I'm easily distracted, get lost, am often not where I should be and tend to run a spec that is tied more to how I think the outfit will look than the advantage it will bring to me in game.

I love playing DAOC and haven't given up on the game. It was the very first MMO that I tried. Something about the game and the people who play it keeps me hooked. Over the years I've met some folks who have been awesome. Some people I've met have not meshed well with me. A few have found me ultra nice and a few have found me ultra strange. I miss the people who have moved to greener pastures and I hope that some day they will return.
    flgerz4pcpy6.jpg
  • Ghost Keep RPs been higher then usual in Dec, and then of course Jan 12 hit, it's not even 2 month after, so I wouldn't go far to predict the future, but for 2 weeks numbers normalized at some point, and action getting better slowly.

I do get if someone has criticism of live, and everyone free to decide whether they want to keep playing it or not, but I don't get when people act like we on postcount. Some just keep coming back even after years trying to ruin others fun who didn't quit. There is no constructive criticism on this anymore, just hostility and resentment. Guys, move on, if you leave it behind, do so.

btw, @Clumsy didn't you sell your Warrior for 1,5k$?

Anyway, at least we know you could logg your 18 year old toons still here, will see how other options compare after some decent time passed. Keep checking live, and see if it's worth reactivating, but there is no use to gloat about it after you left, all I know is, we welcome anyone who changes their mind later.
  • https://search.camelotherald.com/#/character/PLBUMDi1yLg
    These are not the stats of a character that wanders or doesn't know what they are doing, unless of course they were paid for
    13,377.98 irs, can I get an Amen
  • Ran in a group late night (Est.) zerg time. Seemed to be plenty of Albs vs. Hibs with some mids here an there. Since I don't normally run at those times, is that the population norm or just weekend numbers?
    Dreamscape 12Lx Dark Lotus
  • Dreamscape wrote: »
    Ran in a group late night (Est.) zerg time. Seemed to be plenty of Albs vs. Hibs with some mids here an there. Since I don't normally run at those times, is that the population norm or just weekend numbers?

Normal weekend numbers
    "...the best thing to do if you disagree (or agree) isn't to ask us why (which is rhetorical)...." -John_Broadsword
    "the patch [1.127] is later this year" -Carol_Broadsword, aka "constable paddy biehbien of the **** local community Enforcement force "
    send a message with your wallet
  • @Youeatbeans When I came back to DAOC, I stood in the relic town with neither a template or champ levels. Long conversations (in german) in TS which were summed up with "For God's Sake - Spread Heal" or "Where are you now?" Thank you for noting my progress. It has been quite fun :)
  • Siambra wrote: »
    I love playing DAOC and haven't given up on the game. It was the very first MMO that I tried. Something about the game and the people who play it keeps me hooked. Over the years I've met some folks who have been awesome. Some people I've met have not meshed well with me. A few have found me ultra nice and a few have found me ultra strange. I miss the people who have moved to greener pastures and I hope that some day they will return.
    flgerz4pcpy6.jpg

mostly the same story for me. some of the people i do consider some of my best friends i met in daoc. i've been to guild meetings in spain, portugal, france, uk, norway, sweden, finland, australia and organized two guild meetings in my home town just to meet some of the wonderful people i met in the game.

yybu6g060yhj.jpg

• I met a few folks from my Bors days many years ago. Fun Times for sure!!
  • Great pic, back in the early days of EU Prydwen, Hungarians had a guild called Angels of Darkness, we used to have meetings where some dressed up with shield, helm, sword etc.. also had same meeting when SI came out, and some guys went to Austria to purchase pieces for everyone in guild. :)
  • Hangover next day wasn’t! lol
  • canceled accounted
  • Yes dear we know ... Remember you left quite a while ago. Now go back to sleep and have sweet dreams.