Friday Grab Bag - 02/15/2019

2»

Comments

• Siambra I can’t believe the cow is still zerging it up I mean seriously who has he got to fight I logged in alb eu prime time the other day and there was 3 Albs on a midget called Gerald a 3 legged dog and a guy from Philadelphia .
    The guy from Philadelphia was only playing because he had a beef with the cow .
    Ooof I’m rambling now back to my pansies!
  • Albs have been playing hard EU. Dunno when you missed that.
    Oh.. and Carol.. I have some chocolate and flowers for you...
  • Badnagen wrote: »
    You say f2p accounts can't use supremacy pots, but what about npc buffs? I understand limiting the best buffs, but you have to give them something. Remember people, nothing is set in stone, if it doesn't work it can change.

The illusion of control.

Be careful what you wish for my friend have you not seen the past 3+ years of patches *cough*
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    DAOC needs very very small changes, not reinventing the wheel yet again. People want the daoc they grew up on, by dynamically changing siege you will again make Live a different version of what everyone remembers.

amen to that.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • Adding a dynamic system to 1 keep in each realm as a test-case in NF (can even be as an event) doesn't seem like a "dangerous" change at all, considering those factors.

Sometimes different is better than what people are used to, and sometimes it's not, which is why we think it's best to try them out in this way and then it's easy to turn it off if it doesn't work. Thank you for your feedback on them :).

that is actually a brilliant idea. testing out a major change as an event that is. having a way to easily revert or cancel something not working as intended or unpopular change is very important imho.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • KoeKoe
    edited February 2019 PM
    Gavner wrote: »
    Happy for breaking the silence, it's a breath of fresh air.
    On Endless Conquest limitation, I kinda understand, and want to encourage players to Sub, I feel like current version is a more acceptable one to still keep players around. However I personally think most encouraging would be:
    - 1 Account 1 Realm 1 Character locked with possible MTX purchase for every extra character slot
    - New Access tier introduced for something like 5$ 1 Account 3 Realm 3 Character with possible MTX purchase for every extra character slot, same buffing rules as 15$ sub, and ability to earn alternate currencies.

I really see allowing at minimum 2 characters (from the list) per realm, as a must for FTP, if not 3 or unlimited. It is so much easier to get a group or to get in a guild if you can offer either x or y or say Cleric Merc or Paladin vs "I have a Cleric" (group thinks okay but we already have a great rej friar, pally, and 2x ticks). The goal is to get people who want to do FTP interested in making DAOC their game. If they do that, some percentage of them will likely sub up for all the goodies. I think $15 a mo isn't much for some people.

If you have to really try hard to get groups in testing the waters, that's the difference between make or break it for FTP (my opinion)
    Post edited by Koe on
  • I honestly think the classic rule set is the draw, not the price of the game being free on that unnamed server. After rvr’ing there, it is much more fun due to less homogenization of abilities. F2p will take too long to make any difference by the time it actually comes around. The new progression server should be a priority and be all hands on deck to be made possible ASAP, so if/when the burning bird falls out of favor, the refugees will come back to a real server
  • KoeKoe
    edited February 2019 PM
    BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I honestly think the classic rule set is the draw, not the price of the game being free on that unnamed server. After rvr’ing there, it is much more fun due to less homogenization of abilities. F2p will take too long to make any difference by the time it actually comes around. The new progression server should be a priority and be all hands on deck to be made possible ASAP, so if/when the burning bird falls out of favor, the refugees will come back to a real server

I'd opine that getting population up to where the game has enough interest to support a 2nd server is key. If you just roll out classic, this server probably dies (along with a number of people who didn't want to go there because 1) they never liked/played classic or 2) just have too much invested in this server).
    Post edited by Koe on
  • The ring I got has a bonus level of 51 on it. How can that be? It is useless.
  • I just dont see why creating a new server would help...at all...i see it as the final nail in the coffin, and I dont want that to happen so thats why im saying something...our population is severely crippled right now, now your going to open another server thats going to cripple it even more...i dont even have words for that idiocy
  • Borivik wrote: »
    I just dont see why creating a new server would help...at all...i see it as the final nail in the coffin, and I dont want that to happen so thats why im saying something...our population is severely crippled right now, now your going to open another server thats going to cripple it even more...i dont even have words for that idiocy

As long as they make the new progression server a season akin to D3 and allow EC players access to it with Ywain rollover at the end, then it will be fine. However, a sub only server would indeed be a problem as it would just further split the population. The real question is will there be a population left by the time any of these projects go live? Beyond a few addicts, probably not much.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I honestly think the classic rule set is the draw, not the price of the game being free on that unnamed server. After rvr’ing there, it is much more fun due to less homogenization of abilities. F2p will take too long to make any difference by the time it actually comes around. The new progression server should be a priority and be all hands on deck to be made possible ASAP, so if/when the burning bird falls out of favor, the refugees will come back to a real server

to come back to ywain, ywain needs a population and action, otherwise there is not much reason to come back.
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »

If/when the bird falls CU will launch soon, and this one isn`t going to fall anytime soon.
    Sorry for destroying your illusions.

• edited February 2019 PM
    I have no illusions. My live account is cancelled and only bot account open til it runs out in a couple weeks. I’m full time on the unnamed. Just throwing out suggestions in case the free one happens to fall. It is a ton more fun there atm
    Post edited by BurkleyRIP on
  • I’d agree that CU is for sure on the horizon, but DAOC will always be my first
    Once another server is created that leaves Ywain as the base aka the original non Classic cluster (it will be a ghost town). There is a rather large amount of interest for the Classic + Si + Qol server model.

F2p should be allowed to play this new server.

IMO there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, look at what has been tried and true and what has already been successful. For example the Diablo 3/ Path of Exiles with their Cash shops.

They have moved into the Season or Ladder play. This would leave Ywain intact and allows the ability to play Classic+SI+Qol server compatible with Live.
    Post edited by Fateboi on
    Fateboi wrote: »
    Once another server is created that leaves Ywain as the base aka the original non Classic cluster (it will be a ghost town). There is a rather large amount of interest for the Classic + Si + Qol server model.

F2p should be allowed to play this new server.

IMO there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, look at what has been tried and true and what has already been successful. For example the Diablo 3/ Path of Exiles with their Cash shops.

They have moved into the Season or Ladder play. This would leave Ywain intact and allows the ability to play Classic+SI+Qol server compatible with Live.

is there interest in daoc or is there interest in daoc not run by BS .... just asking ... imho there is enough people who want daoc, but there is very few people who want to play the daoc that BS made/is running.

people want the daoc they know.

people want a daoc where cheaters are punished.

... that's not BS's daoc.

do people want qol changes ? sure . UI changes, sure. class changes ? i think most people would rather see class changes done in the last 2-3 years undo tbh.

it's blatently clear that people want to play a daoc without everything that BS has done over the last 2-3 years.
    Post edited by Muylae on
  • Muylae wrote: »
    people want a daoc where cheaters are punished.

Yes please !
    Muylae wrote: »
    i think most people would rather see class changes done in the last 2-3 years undo tbh.

This too.
    Muylae wrote: »
    it's blatently clear that people want to play a daoc without everything that BS has done over the last 2-3 years.

And that !
    For me atleast :)
    Time for another edition of the Grab Bag!

The full-merchant issue is one we’ve discussed previously and do have plans to address it in conjunction with the planned Housing update (post-Endless Conquest).

The 200 platinum cap on characters is a much trickier issue. Not only does it affect the game’s economy in drastic ways, there are also significant technical barriers to changing it (which we’ve discussed previously). That said, it is something we’re investigating changing as in general we would like to increase the cap in conjunction with offering game-time-code sales for platinum. We’ll have more news once that investigation is complete!

Until this is fixed please consider removing the 20% tax for buying items from the entrance of the housing zone. One major part of the annoyance this causes now is that you have to teleport all over housing, run to the houses merchant, and waste a lot of time just to discover a house is full and you can't buy the item you need. If the fee was removed (or reduced to near zero) you could just buy everything directly through the search panel and find out immediately what houses are full. It's a good band-aid until a proper solution can be implemented. @John_Broadsword @Carol_Broadsword
    Post edited by Ewer on
  • You forgot to mention the time spent running around trying to find an open house to port back after buying an item @Ewer . It amazes me the amount of people that don't allow other players to enter their house.
  • Idk, I just use one of my 3 bindstones.
    There is a simple solution to the “merchant is holding too much money”, issue.

ALWAYS search with a toon that has little to NO plat, so you can try to buy directly from the merchant, and not run around housing.

As far as porting, in PvE, every single toon you have (level 48 and up), should have the SI helm/ Foil Hat etc. That way, you NEVER have to use a house teleporter.

The quest is called Saving Zarees, takes 10 minutes to complete.

Post edited by DaRedANT on
    Da ant family - 1801 1802 1803 1805 1807 1808 1809 1989
    Da fly family - 4501 4502 4503 4504 4508 4509
    Da spider family - 441 442 444 445 447
    Ywain 1. Mid - Carlingford Hib - Tullamore Alb - Dalton
    https://divoxutils.com/user-characters
  • DaRedANT wrote: »

ALWAYS search with a toon that has little to NO plat, so you can try to buy directly from the merchant, and not run around housing.

As far as porting, in PvE, every single toon you have (level 48 and up), should have the SI helm/ Foil Hat etc.

Yes, this workaround is an option. But removing the 20% explorer surcharge must be a 2 second code change...
  • stewbeedoo wrote: »
    DaRedANT wrote: »

As far as porting, in PvE, every single toon you have (level 48 and up), should have the SI helm/ Foil Hat etc.

Yes, this workaround is an option. But removing the 20% explorer surcharge must be a 2 second code change...

Can't set it to 0 for some reason, fine. Set it to .01%.
    Can't set it to 0.01% for some reason, fine. Set it to 1%
    Can't set it to 1% for some reason, find a new job.
  • RonELuvv wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the time spent running around trying to find an open house to port back after buying an item @Ewer . It amazes me the amount of people that don't allow other players to enter their house.

You can buy a market return ticket for free beside the market explorer
  • Major first world problems we have here. Whew...
  • Ewer wrote: »
    Time for another edition of the Grab Bag!

The full-merchant issue is one we’ve discussed previously and do have plans to address it in conjunction with the planned Housing update (post-Endless Conquest).

The 200 platinum cap on characters is a much trickier issue. Not only does it affect the game’s economy in drastic ways, there are also significant technical barriers to changing it (which we’ve discussed previously). That said, it is something we’re investigating changing as in general we would like to increase the cap in conjunction with offering game-time-code sales for platinum. We’ll have more news once that investigation is complete!

Until this is fixed please consider removing the 20% tax for buying items from the entrance of the housing zone. One major part of the annoyance this causes now is that you have to teleport all over housing, run to the houses merchant, and waste a lot of time just to discover a house is full and you can't buy the item you need. If the fee was removed (or reduced to near zero) you could just buy everything directly through the search panel and find out immediately what houses are full. It's a good band-aid until a proper solution can be implemented. @John_Broadsword @Carol_Broadsword

i actually think that the 20 % cost is a good way to remove plat from the game and decrease prices. but the 200 plat limit is problematic. too many merchants by people no longer playing the game are capped in plat, making all of their content unavailable to players as their merchants have too much plat on them.

for myself, i pretty much buy everything form player merchant costing less that 50 plat with the 20 % 'tax' without going to the house. only when i buy like 20 supremacy potions (yeah, i buy so much of them ...) i'll bother to go to the house, but even then, i'll buy one with the 20% tax to ensure the merchant isn't full before going there.
  • Carol and John.. Would you be open to doing some press / interviews with a gaming site at some point?
  • tald wrote: »
    RonELuvv wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the time spent running around trying to find an open house to port back after buying an item @Ewer . It amazes me the amount of people that don't allow other players to enter their house.

You can buy a market return ticket for free beside the market explorer

Yes, just hand the market entrance return token to the consignment merchant and then you're ported back to the entrance!