Let's be real here

It's a great idea but come on...do you really think the F2P is gonna bring people to the game? Only people that are gonna come back and "back" is the keyword here cause it aint gonna bring new people....are the ones who dont mind paying the $15 a month, they will just return to see what else has changed like they do with any other big update....Actually take your time out and think about it, dont just mindlessly think about it. Why do changing the model work with other games? Because they promote it, they promote the **** out of it. DAoC is not being promoted at all other than word of mouth which really isnt much sense theres hardly anyone playing now.

Comments

• I think EA has control of whether or not it's worth spending money on marketing for DAoC. There isn't any DLC to capitalize on so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • I honestly believe in a business prospective that DAoC is not worth dumping any money into it at all...but in a player prospective, i wish they would LOL I love this game but I know its just a matter of time before the servers perma go down, but if it lasts long enough...WoW is about to go under so we can atleast say this game is older than WoW and lasted longer than WoW
  • I think EA has control of whether or not it's worth spending money on marketing for DAoC. There isn't any DLC to capitalize on so I wouldn't hold my breath.

They did mention the possibility to buy GTC for Plat..
  • You got to look at progressively why pop has dropped here’s my timeline of how I’ve seen it drop.
    First ea patch that ruined the main keeps and removed towers and turned agramon into a battleground.
    Changed strategy in game for worse
    There was a major pop drop here
    Second patch involved stealthers another major drop
    Third patch removal of ruined keeps and class changes another major drop.
    Lastly nerfs to Albion drove a huge part of Albion population away.
    Perceived on Albion as major realm imbalance.
    The freeshard servers had a major impact mainly because people now had somewhere to go if they weren’t happy with live.
    Lot of lessons to be learnt here
  • You are forgetting what expansion started it all: Trials of Atlantis.

The beginning of the “must have” gear for RVR!!
  • A progression server will be fun, but a fresh start server with unlimited duration will for sure gut Ywain-Live. If anything it needs to be limited duration like a ladder or seasonal play.

I agree there is ALOT of demand for Classic + SI + Qol
  • Yeah I think a sub only server is only gonna put the final nails in the coffin...also....am i the only one who loved ToA?
  • ToA became the MUST HAVE with MLs and Artifacts at that time to be competitive in RVR. In started the trend.
  • No, I remember getting in huge 40mans to do raids in ToA and having a blast...maybe players just got lazy? before then the game was just 8mans and maybe a grp here or there for pve but to me ToA brought in the major MMO experience, what is a game without pve? You might as play a instant50 game and get all your gear for free by way of how your talking
  • Borivik wrote: »
    No, I remember getting in huge 40mans to do raids in ToA and having a blast...maybe players just got lazy? before then the game was just 8mans and maybe a grp here or there for pve but to me ToA brought in the major MMO experience, what is a game without pve? You might as play a instant50 game and get all your gear for free by way of how your talking

DAoC PvE = Zerg it down. It's bland and boring. I'd rather play FF14 or GW2 if I wanted good PvE. The only good PvE in this game is for getting equipment.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
  • Back then not everyone had the time to do those MLs. Not everyone liked being FORCED to do something to remain competitive in RVR back then.
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    Back then not everyone had the time to do those MLs. Not everyone liked being FORCED to do something to remain competitive in RVR back then.

I dunno...I just see it as, if your not willing to put the time into your character, you shouldn't be able to even think about being competitive...like nowadays...you expect to get a new 50 and be just as good as a rr11 on pure skill alone?
    Keltorius wrote: »
    Back then not everyone had the time to do those MLs. Not everyone liked being FORCED to do something to remain competitive in RVR back then.

I dunno...I just see it as, if your not willing to put the time into your character, you shouldn't be able to even think about being competitive...like nowadays...you expect to get a new 50 and be just as good as a rr11 on pure skill alone?

The older a game gets, the less willing people are to spend significant time into developing their characters to reach the end game, which for DAoC is RvR. Most would rather spend that time on something new and polished than something old and "broken".
  • which is my point in this entire thread...all the players and staff are acting as though people are gonna magically appear when the f2p launches, I can only see it being a hinderance to the already playerbase and cause even more to leave
    which is my point in this entire thread...all the players and staff are acting as though people are gonna magically appear when the f2p launches, I can only see it being a hinderance to the already playerbase and cause even more to leave

Refer to my comments in the Grab Bag thread. EC definitely won't be a hindrance on the playerbase as it doesn't impact current subscribers.
  • Its certainly not gonna help at all...
  • @Beetleguisse While we agree on certain things, especially on the other trending channel, your hatred of DAoC PvE is clear, and you nicely reflect it to everyone else. I don't want more PvE before you say so, but I do enjoy PvE and occasionally do just for the fun aspect, and many did / still do, even Gaheris outlived many servers. Currently DAoC offers ways to skip PvE parts you ain't like with alternate currencies, and most "broken" PvE is not the old one, so I don't see why you want to burn PvE with fire when it's almost optional now.

Also, certain quantity of PvE many did enjoy elsewhere where the game is similar, and it really is an introduction to game / skill / character mechanics without much of a risk.
  • He was just responding to my love for PvE, his thoughts are shared by many. You made a very good point with the Gaheris server outliving many servers but maybe thats why this game is dieing? Most games nowadays are PvE focused and so they grab attention, so gamers love PvE and we are a PvP game? We have to stop and open our mind and question things like that in order to survive
  • edited February 2019 PM
    As said, PvE is almost optional, and insta lvl 50 would be very harmful for new / returning players not allow them to get used to the game, as the leveling process already very fast even for the untrained. PvE still have it's place, but it is already very fast, it's fine like this.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • I agree, maybe im just a farmer, i dunno...but I enjoy going into PoC and just spend hours upon hours of killing mobs (not as a macro grp) or going out wherever to farm whatever to sell on my cm....ill join a zerg every now and then but yeah i enjoy the PvE more then the RvR side of things.
  • There ya go!!! I been playing this game since 2002, done with PVE side of things. I don’t mind doing supply quests or the king’s ale quest. Helpful with Bountycrafting and if I make some RPs along the way so much the better.
  • Hate PVE. Only do whats required for the potions i run.

I think F2P will help. My main concern is the timeframe. We need it now.
  • I really think that it doesnt matter what BS does, this game is gonna die eventually soon. If they had grabbed this game sooner, they could have saved it but by the time they did...it was already too late. They could put 10 million into advertisement and still die off, they would have to rebuild eeeeeveerything to keep it alive
  • While we are talking about PvE, in the grab bag they said they will be trying to make Catacomb zones relevant again? Am I the only one who hated Catacomb zones? I loved/hated TD's...could lvl so much faster but had to spam them omg
  • edited February 2019 PM
    @beibhinn has already said that regardless of what you think people like to pve and therefore they won't abandon pve entirely. There literally is no pleasing anyone.

Now everyone is old and can't get their instagram shiny gear yesterday so they want mom and dad to hand it to you for free on your new EC account?!

I can't even...
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • That all comes way too late.