Is it time to create a new Pre ToA server?

124»

Answers

• Also, as experienced both side as being a returning player, and being a player who gets plats/items thrown at him after simply being around at the right time, I always hear low quality temps / kings gear being viable by people who actually prefer to don't use it. I mean It's fun when I occasionally find those guys lurking around 2-hitting them, but I guess the other side has a tad less fun.
  • The reason why people play live and the majority now play the bird is stuff that people have been saying for years.
    The realms are currently unbalanced on live the way classes are now are so far away from what daoc used to be.
    Healing is out of control virtually every toon now has some form of heals.
    The situation with uses and ablatives and procs also magnified the situation it’s just dumb now it’s just not fun.
    You have 24 7 dumb zergs running every day running over everything instead of just taking keeps and getting a port.
    Hey I get how it’s a good social experience and you don’t have to think but it’s kiling the game.
    There used to be a strategic element to the game and realm pride that’s gone the bird has all of that all I see on the bird is 8 mans banding together to take a keep.
    Rps on live have no meaning anymore just way to easy I understand why the devs did it but it’s reduced all value in realm rank.
    What is refreshing in the bird is that the support guys seem to care if anyone talks crap in region it’s sorted out instantly.
    Every thing is very slick and well thought out And actually what the players want not a select few on the the internal boards that play paper daoc and play the game like a robotic x does y so we need to counter that with z it’s like ffs where’s the fun.
    Finally it’s got a huge population which is a combination of all of the above plus it’s free so where would you play.
    Seriously I cannot understand how a group of freeshard guys can turn out a better game than what is currently on offer.
    I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of live and I still have 3 accounts open but I’m like seriously man when the **** you people gonna wake up
  • edited January 2019 PM
    @Brut nailed it. Live is so far removed from what was Live 3+ years ago. The gear and damage creep is real. The ‘other server’ feels more like the Daoc I remember. It’s a bummer that it’s not Live for sure.

To answer your question ‘they’ aren’t ever going to wake up per say. The appeal for f2p won’t sustain a thing because they will get run over by rr12’s. It needs an even reset playing field like a season or ladder.

GL
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • 100% agree @Brut thats exactly what i was trying to say in the first part, of my first post on page one and again in a later post, you manged to put it together more clearly lol.
  • Brut wrote: »
    The reason why people play live and the majority now play the bird is stuff that people have been saying for years.
    The realms are currently unbalanced on live the way classes are now are so far away from what daoc used to be.
    Healing is out of control virtually every toon now has some form of heals.
    The situation with uses and ablatives and procs also magnified the situation it’s just dumb now it’s just not fun.
    You have 24 7 dumb zergs running every day running over everything instead of just taking keeps and getting a port.
    Hey I get how it’s a good social experience and you don’t have to think but it’s kiling the game.
    There used to be a strategic element to the game and realm pride that’s gone the bird has all of that all I see on the bird is 8 mans banding together to take a keep.
    Rps on live have no meaning anymore just way to easy I understand why the devs did it but it’s reduced all value in realm rank.
    What is refreshing in the bird is that the support guys seem to care if anyone talks crap in region it’s sorted out instantly.
    Every thing is very slick and well thought out And actually what the players want not a select few on the the internal boards that play paper daoc and play the game like a robotic x does y so we need to counter that with z it’s like ffs where’s the fun.
    Finally it’s got a huge population which is a combination of all of the above plus it’s free so where would you play.
    Seriously I cannot understand how a group of freeshard guys can turn out a better game than what is currently on offer.
    I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of live and I still have 3 accounts open but I’m like seriously man when the **** you people gonna wake up

I agree with most of this.

There's been a lot of fluff added to various classes that's simply unnecessary. The population is also small which exacerbates the Realm hopping problem. Zergs don't run 24/7 and honestly shouldn't run 24/7 since the population is too low to accommodate for that style of game play. Hero running everyday certainly has an impact; however, I would argue that it's not his fault since players are the ones who choose to run with a zerg. Granted, there's the incentive to run with a zerg to complete the Daily and Event Quests. Personally, I think these quests should be like the Weekly Quests such that they only offer BPs and not RPs. Remove the PvE aspect of obtaining RPs to promote RvR (or PvP). Perhaps the population would balance out then without having to force it via other means.

That being said, I have no interest in starting over to relive a time that I've already experienced regardless of the QoL changes. My nostalgia itch just isn't that strong. I think we all agree that Endless Conquest must offer something that the bird does not. A status update on EC from @Broadsword would be fantastic so we can stop resorting to speculation and actually provide meaningful feedback regarding its implementation.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Personally, I think these quests should be like the Weekly Quests such that they only offer BPs and not RPs. Remove the PvE aspect of obtaining RPs to promote RvR (or PvP).

Yes please !

• Gavner wrote: »
    @RonELuvv I am pretty sure by PvE options @Vrisslar ment alternatives like currency (what have worked on dragons campaign before) or same/similar stat items elsewhere, so ppl not locked into 2 encounters repeatedly, and can progress solo too if none available. It's not difficult to make a few mob drop something.

I doubt by liking PvE he ever ment liking OW and Cursed at all, in fact I remember on other topic he was also for lowering difficulty since not enough raids been around.

Also think theres not much mindless boredom then pick up stuff for days while ppl like you and me free rp fram them. While being option there would be cool, lowering BP prices is necessary to be a real alternative. ATM lets be real, GTC or Cursed/OW to get temped. It's neither RvR nor PvE that most PvE guy liked doing in DAoC. As previously said, its sad that huge world has to offer 2 encounters only.

I saw the thoughts on a general currency or offering BP's on killing other PvE encounters. I have to admit that its a pretty good idea.

• That being said, I have no interest in starting over to relive a time that I've already experienced regardless of the QoL changes. My nostalgia itch just isn't that strong. I think we all agree that Endless Conquest must offer something that the bird does not. A status update on EC from @Broadsword would be fantastic so we can stop resorting to speculation and actually provide meaningful feedback regarding its implementation.

Amen brutha!! 100% agreed with all of this!

• All I can say is /train

It's the small things that are brilliant and I agree, it's amazing that people have actually thought out things on the bird and improved on a game that was really fun to play (in the earlier stages).

I was floored when this yellow spam thing showed up in my chat window. Had no idea what it was till I realized, omg they have gm's/csr's that are actually playing the game and enforcing the rules! Be still my heart.

My account is still open, for now. It is really only the second time since release that I have cancelled/thought of really cancelling my account. I know it doesn't mean much, as I have sent messages for improvement/changes/bugs etc and elicit very little, if nothing in return...I know I am not that important, but I am a paying customer and some response, heck even a auto-generated response, would be better than the silence. Though, I guess I got my response when I spent how many bp's on the giant finger before I had a ton of bps removed from toons :D
  • I agree with brut, the kill quests are making zergs more popular, realm pride is gone and with low pop on server realm hopping is getting out of hand. Items you have to pve for to be competitive in rvr is about the same system as when ToA was added (and people hated that in a rvr game) but toa was somehow better then this new stuff. Balance is bad now and statistics don't seem to even be looked at when making changes (i don't know what method they are using other then what sounds crazy enough to get a few people back to try it, and run more off because it's broken).

Daoc is not like ever other mmo (that's why we are all still here) so please don't make it like every wow clone with it's gear creap, dayly quests, raid (bg) bosses (quests), and over the top class balance (make a set of classes super for a month and then do it again to another class the next month, this is normally done in games to get people to lvl or return to game but has a negative affect in a delicately balanced rvr game like Daoc).
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    Create new looking armor and weapons to skin with usable stats.

I, for one, am a huge fan of my Mercenary's completely bland cursed chest piece. I think having absolutely no armor pattern/design on it add's to the rustic appearance.

agree, if think toa and later expansions kinda took away much of the historical visual appeal of the game for me and replaced it with a more fantasy theme. i sort of like the fact that wit curse their is now top teir material that looks historical again.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • i just canceled my accounts. Love DAOC but the current game while fun at times is not what the masses want. No one wanted a class revamp, cursed or ow campaigns that took 6+ months to do. All that was needed was to add a Server that had SI or TOA with Old frontiers, buff bot NPC's ,and make the old keeps bigger if population grew.
  • edited January 2019 PM
    i just canceled my accounts. Love DAOC but the current game while fun at times is not what the masses want. No one wanted a class revamp, cursed or ow campaigns that took 6+ months to do. All that was needed was to add a Server that had SI or TOA with Old frontiers, buff bot NPC's ,and make the old keeps bigger if population grew.

Pretty much feel the same here!

Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
  • edited January 2019 PM
    [removed]
  • i tried coming back after many years but lasted only 2 months, now i'm doing ornithology.

low pop, too much RR gap, and mostly as brut said healing out of control (even tho i see it in a more general way, like i don't like to play a main tank and having to deal with casting stuff, heal, ecc... i should not have a mana bar!), i don't like stuff that ench or horses have the same speed as a bard, i'm old-school if you want speed you need the bard period.

i never liked all the ablatives and procs and toa stuff etc. i don't like that having 30 buttons on bars isn't enough.

i never liked NF or NNF whatever is called with those new keeps where rvr is just keep sieges with very little actual combat. i like open field combat and that's not happening here but it's happening somewhere else.

i dunno if part of the problem is the bg leaders, i tried all 3 realms bg both in EU and US and everyone seems so coward. the only one trying to always find a battle is hero but he has too much numbers it's not fun in the long run.
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    @Brut nailed it. Live is so far removed from what was Live 3+ years ago. The gear and damage creep is real. The ‘other server’ feels more like the Daoc I remember. It’s a bummer that it’s not Live for sure.

To answer your question ‘they’ aren’t ever going to wake up per say. The appeal for f2p won’t sustain a thing because they will get run over by rr12’s. It needs an even reset playing field like a season or ladder.

GL

Lets not forget the class balance podcasts. I did the archer podcast and no one wanted new archer shots. A bunch of high realm rank archers from all 3 realms with a ton of play time all agreed we wanted minor tweaks. Then a guy with pretty much zero archer experience comes up with an idea for a new archery system. Boom implemented. I remember when my ranger had bladeturn on pendragon! What a joke.

How about pete stances, pet classes and necros out of control when the patch dropped. It was the beginning of the slide. Throw in a few 6+ long quests with OP items and here we are. Best part alot of old TOA stuff got nerfed due to these changes. Ml10 weapons nerfed due to pet stances. Shades nerfed due to 500 abaltives.

I remember asking long ago for slightly tweaked artis that werent used or atleast better stats. Was told we want to get away from too much pve. 1-2 years later OW quest comes out which is so long by the end no one cares.

I really hope BS reverts back to toa or pre toa. This is the second time a server had popped up with 3000-4000 people on. Give us what we want!
  • edited January 2019 PM
    [removed]
  • edited January 2019 PM
    [removed]

Maybe, give the people what they want?
  • I'm shocked this thread is still alive with all the mentions of IT,
    Bodukejr- hunter
    Thegenerallee-shadowblade
    Misleadinglooks-warrior

Grumblejr-hero
    Danceswithdebuffs-champion
    Faatkid-druid
  • edited January 2019 PM
    Boduke wrote: »
    I'm shocked this thread is still alive with all the mentions of IT,

I am not. If i was BS i would hear what people have to say. Everyone playing daoc in anyform are all former live players. I for one like toa so if it was me id make a server up to toa but would scale difficulty for mls depending on how big the group was and no leveling for artis. With that said im sure if there was a huge poll classic/si would win
    Post edited by Sepphiroth75 on
  • "Everyone playing daoc in anyform are all former live players"

i see a lot of brand new daoc players somewhere else.
    just make a f2p classic server with qol and make some advertisment on websites (like mmorpg.com etc)\reddit and you have your thousands players.
    only need to study how to make money via the cash shop. but you don't get money if you don't invest first, so even start this new server without shop and you won't lose much, game is 20 years old by now.

and btw, you're under EA, just make daoc free if you already have origin basic\premium
  • If such a small team of daoc enthusiasts (that don`t get money in any form) is able to run a stable server with 3k players at primetime, why isn`t BS able to grab the old classic server code out of the desk, overhaul it and make it run? ....

A few important points to touch on here -

1. When you legally develop and run software, there are real world costs. Such as: Payroll,infrastructure, licensing and others. The 'others' don't have the same costs or obligations. When they implode, nothing but some time was lost. If DAoC dies, there are real world implications.
    2. The code and structure of the 'others' isn't remotely related to the code of real DAoC. They are not running on 'old code.' That's not how this works. Just because the 'others' can do a thing doesn't mean it's just a few lines of code on live. Ever wonder why those 'others' are stuck on 'classic' DAoC? Hint: It's not because it was the 'best' era.
    3. Broadsword IS overhauling DAoC you have to remember, when this game was originally developed the concept of MMORPGS was still new. The fact that this game even still exists is a small wonder itself.
    4. F2P for DAoC is a stepping stone. Broadsword has said that several other changes are occuring with the F2P change. (UX/UI overhauls)
    5. No one has ruled out some sort of alternate server model for DAoC, it just won't happen until F2P is launched and Ywain is sorted.

So, I suggest we all chill out and wait to see what happens with F2P.
  • Ciddire wrote: »
    If such a small team of daoc enthusiasts (that don`t get money in any form) is able to run a stable server with 3k players at primetime, why isn`t BS able to grab the old classic server code out of the desk, overhaul it and make it run? ....

1. When you legally develop and run software, there are real world costs. Such as: Payroll,infrastructure, licensing and others. The 'others' don't have the same costs or obligations. When they implode, nothing but some time was lost. If DAoC dies, there are real world implications.
    2. The code and structure of the 'others' isn't remotely related to the code of real DAoC. They are not running on 'old code.' That's not how this works. Just because the 'others' can do a thing doesn't mean it's just a few lines of code on live. Ever wonder why those 'others' are stuck on 'classic' DAoC? Hint: It's not because it was the 'best' era.
    3. Broadsword IS overhauling DAoC you have to remember, when this game was originally developed the concept of MMORPGS was still new. The fact that this game even still exists is a small wonder itself.
    4. F2P for DAoC is a stepping stone. Broadsword has said that several other changes are occuring with the F2P change. (UX/UI overhauls)
    5. No one has ruled out some sort of alternate server model for DAoC, it just won't happen until F2P is launched and Ywain is sorted.

So, I suggest we all chill out and wait to see what happens with F2P

I dont think daoc should be free. As someone who actually visited broadsword in herndon, va i want john amd his team to do well. My issue is they went to far away from what daoc was. Overhauling the classes was a giant mistake and this overhaul of the uis, mithril shop should have happened back years ago.
  • Ciddire wrote: »
    If such a small team of daoc enthusiasts (that don`t get money in any form) is able to run a stable server with 3k players at primetime, why isn`t BS able to grab the old classic server code out of the desk, overhaul it and make it run? ....

Oh, i`m absolutly chilled, and while i wait i play something that is fun together whith some hundred others. If it lasts only a few month i can say... *i had fun*, instead of thinking daily * wtf are they doing and what did they made out of DAoC?*.

Don`t get me wrong, i would pay 25$ per sub and per month. DAoC was designed as a Mmorpg, first M for massive.
    It isn`t massive anymore and within the last year i haven`t seen anything that BS is trying to get cusomers back, and until it goes semi-ftp it may take another half year. ( late spring, hum?)
    Patience isn`t an endless ressource....
    If a more or less unknown Team can pull 3k+ players out of the hat without big promotion, i would think it must be the concept behind DAoC on live.

And to #5...they had already an alternate server model, it was Mythics classic server. I think thats a good basis where you can work with. But if you don`t even try you`ll never know.
  • JakJak
    edited January 2019 PM
    Ciddire wrote: »

1. Not working out so well atm. You would think that with so much riding on the real world line, that if something is not working, you might want to change it before you sink too far down that rabbit hole.
    2. Those 'others' seem to be responding and changing things on the fly, regardless of 'code'. Not too bad for people who are not getting paid, but doing it for the love of the game.
    3. Perhaps. Not really an excuse in my book.
    4. With all due respect, we have heard this before, not so much on the F2P, but on other 'amazing' things that will be coming to the game.
    5. Interesting, though it is hard to see where the vision of the game is headed when there is so little information, and what information is given is so far apart, it's not reassuring to the player base.

Again, with all due respect, I don't think anyone has to 'chill' out. They are allowed to ask questions, they are allowed to give their 'feedback'. To ask everyone to chill out is tantamount to saying 'we got this, just sit back and enjoy what we give you'. We see how well that has worked.
    Post edited by Jak on
  • edited February 2019 PM
    [edited]
    One being, an actual significant realm timer creates realm pride- the realm hopping here is so lame.
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • I think realm pride is important and hope they bring timers back. Also id like to see them get rid off the solo towns and bring back all the towers. Id also like to see them improve some toa/si gear so it has more utility and more realistic procs.
  • KatKat
    edited February 2019 PM
    All they needed to do was give sniper hunters a decent rr5.

ps - I thought this new board was only for people with active accts.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • I think realm pride is important and hope they bring timers back. Also id like to see them get rid off the solo towns and bring back all the towers. Id also like to see them improve some toa/si gear so it has more utility and more realistic procs.

300% agree with realm pride would be needed
  • edited February 2019 PM
    I think realm pride is important and hope they bring timers back. Also id like to see them get rid off the solo towns and bring back all the towers. Id also like to see them improve some toa/si gear so it has more utility and more realistic procs.

This is what I'll never understand. People whined and cried to get the new 'solo areas' and now they changed them (MOY especially). Also the towers where removed for a reason, the towers right next to the CK on DC/Bled/Beno where the most annoying.
    IMO realm pride is long gone, at this point maybe a 5 min timer if anything because people aren't willing to wait. If they had a realm timer. I'd probably just stick to Hibernia and not even login to Albion on most of the nights, because the action is terribad and my main is already rr12 there.
    On the flip remember when Hibernia US primetime was a ghost town, then they brought in the realm bonuses and magically she's alive again...There's your realm pride right there...

GL
    Post edited by Fateboi on
  • My post was edited to hell but my point remains the same, there are lessons to be learned from what's going on in other places, I hope BS is paying attention.
  • Fateboi wrote: »
    I think realm pride is important and hope they bring timers back. Also id like to see them get rid off the solo towns and bring back all the towers. Id also like to see them improve some toa/si gear so it has more utility and more realistic procs.

This is what I'll never understand. People whined and cried to get the new 'solo areas' and now they changed them (MOY especially). Also the towers where removed for a reason, the towers right next to the CK on DC/Bled/Beno where the most annoying.
    IMO realm pride is long gone, at this point maybe a 5 min timer if anything because people aren't willing to wait. If they had a realm timer. I'd probably just stick to Hibernia and not even login to Albion on most of the nights, because the action is terribad and my main is already rr12 there.
    On the flip remember when Hibernia US primetime was a ghost town, then they brought in the realm bonuses and magically she's alive again...There's your realm pride right there...

GL

Population bonus is not the reason Hib US prime has grown. The bonus was introduced in 1.122 which was over two years ago.

I agree wirh you that forcing Realm pride through a long Realm timer is not the way to go. However, a short Realm timer could be effective at preventing people from switching Realms simply to defend or capture a keep for easy RPs.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/