DAoCUtils Updates

All,

As you all may have seen, DAoCUtils has not been updated for a while, and some of the items are out of date (though it has largely been working well, based on the stats / number of active users / templates). In tightening up some of my personal finances, I'm debating what to do with the future of the project -- I have no immediate plans, but wanted to present some options. The cost of running this is ~$150/month (this includes the server, resources, database size/usage, SSL, etc).

- I can turn the resources way down, which would really impact the speed at which the site loads / operates.
- If anyone wants to fund the project for a given period of time, I'd be happy to keep it running as is.
- I would be happy to sell the project to Broadsword directly.
- I could shut the project down entirely.

If you have any other ideas / options / thoughts, please reach out to me directly either here on on discord (Hopz#8214).

Assuming I can figure out a way to keep it running (that shouldn't be a problem), I'd be happy to add a collaborator to the project to work on keeping it up to date. It's written in Rails / Postgres and runs on Heroku. If you know that stack and are interested, please DM me on discord (Hopz#8214).

Those of you that have donated to help lower my personal cost in running this, I genuinely appreciate you, and hope this has been a useful tool for you to date -- here's to keeping it running for much, much longer!

Best,
Hopz

Comments

• Personal note: My preference would be to sell this to Broadsword. They could use it as an official resource that would help bring people back if they advertised it, etc. I'm not sure if @John_Broadsword or @Carol_Broadsword would be interested, but please reach out to me if so.
  • Second Personal Note: In any case where I retain ownership, and we keep it running, I will be making a big push to get it updated (there are a number of bugs that can easily be addressed with a little time). A collaborator will help speed that up, but it will not be in the state it's in now forever (it will be improved).j
  • I have found this a wonderful resource so am very interested in seeing it continue.
    Bumblebunny to the rescue !
  • Siambra wrote: »
    I have found this a wonderful resource so am very interested in seeing it continue.

Thanks! I, too, want to see it continue!
  • edited January 2019 PM
    This stinks. Broadsword wouldnt even take a free happy hour i wanted to throw the dev team
    In herndon,va 2 years ago so i highly doubt they pay for this. Thanks for making it. Was easily my favorite sc calc next to my old reliable korts sc calc.

I hope i am wrong but a sc calc on the herald website should have happened 5 years ago
    Post edited by Sepphiroth75 on
  • No response from Broadsword ?
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • Nope, but I'm told they might reach out soon.

Just to clarify, if I have to pull the plug, I will give notice + a way to download templates to extract. I won't leave y'all empty handed.
  • This was always an extremely useful resource since the site started and thank you for keeping it up for so long!
  • Yes, DAoC Utilis has been my primary go to resource for templates and I recommend it to everyone in game that has questions regarding current templates.

Thank you @Hopz
  • Hopz wrote: »
    Nope, but I'm told they might reach out soon.

Just to clarify, if I have to pull the plug, I will give notice + a way to download templates to extract. I won't leave y'all empty handed.

They should have reached out by now.
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

• This site is one of the best damn things for daoc, ive donated multiple times, but no recently, i really hope that it will continue to be up for us, as it is a big help for everyone, wanting to template a toon, or do a template build.

I did not know that it cost so much to have running.

If Broadsword have the oppotunity to run this site, i would much appreciate it, as im sure alot of players using this site will.

The updated database, and search options is simply awesome for when building a template, and the database is getting quite big, for template builds.

Lets find a way to keep having this site guys.
  • Update ?
    HERORIUS