Friday Grab Bag - 11/30/2018

Welcome to this week's Grab Bag!

Our newsletter goes out later today, so make sure you are signed up to get all the updates on events, community news, and more!

As always, thanks everyone for your questions, keep 'em coming! You can send in any game related questions you have for our DAoC Devs through our Grab Bag submission form. Please note this is for game questions, feedback/ideas/suggestions should be sent in through our feedback form.

Read on for glory!

Why is it that the Bard Crescendo ability is on a 2.8s interruptible cast while the Skald and Minstrel Crescendo ability is instant cast? Is there a reason the Bard Crescendo ability can't be an uninterruptible cast (not necessarily instant)?

There are usually a myriad of reasons for why one class gets an ability (or the same ability but in a different form) than other classes in other realms and this case is no different.

First, we don’t just look at Minstrels’, Skalds’, and Bards’ strengths and weaknesses and then choose their form of Crescendo, we look at the realms and their classes as a whole too. This includes analysing synergies that exist among the various classes within each realm on the small and large scales. Second, we look at the overall performance and popularity of each class across the different playstyles. And finally, we analyse what each class can bring to a fight across the different playstyles.

Bards’ combination of their casting-focused support role, popularity, synergy with the other classes in their realm across every playstyle, and overall performance mandate that their Crescendo be a normal-casted spell. In short, making the spell uninterruptible would be too near to making it an instant cast and would be too powerful for our liking.

What caused the lowering of controlled pets hit points? 10% is really significant. Help us understand why.

When pets were generally increased in effectiveness (including hit-point and other bonuses) in Patch 1.122B they were improved a bit too much. In subsequent versions pets were reduced back down to more acceptable levels. With 1.125, there were still some pets that were enjoying their 1.122B hit-point values while all other pets had been reduced already. The 1.125 reductions merely put the remaining pets in-line with the other pet reductions.

I understand that the DF bow may be the optimal weapon of choice for archers, but I'm also a fan of the astral bow which along with the DF bow both have good proc rates. My questions is about other bows:

Gjalpinulva, Tuscars, and Nychta's Heartstring Bows. I like the dragon bow because it has 5% spell pierce and it would be viable except that it breaks mez poison. And the Tuscars bow has a 204 DD proc and the Nychta's Hearstring has the 20% abs proc; these hardly proc: 1:30 on the Tuscars and 1:50 on the Nychta's. I will say that the endurance drain on the Nychta's procs more than the abs debuff, but basically these two bows do not proc at the same rate as the astral bow or df bow. Is this because these two bows overperformed? Could you make a few adjustments with some of the bows and procs to add a little more flavor to the archery type, so we aren't using one bow all the time?

While the Astral Bow of Dismay’s proc rate is indeed high, the Darkness Falls’ Champion Level 15 bows and the other bows listed all have extremely similar proc rates (within 1-2%). This is unlikely to be changed.

When playing my wizard, I noticed something with the loyalty cloak. When you cast to reset timer on class abilities, why doesn’t this affect class realm abilities as well since some are class specific? All of the toa abilities come back, but realm timers like decimation trap don’t reset.

The short answer is that it would be too powerful of an ability if it reset realm abilities in addition to the class abilities. There is not a way for it to only reset certain ‘class-specific’ realm abilities and not other realm abilities like Mastery of Concentration, etc.

For additional context, class-specific realm abilities are still classified as realm abilities and not “class” abilities. Class abilities are only the abilities that a class specializes for or gets as baseline as they level up.

Any update on when Name changes will be available again?

Barring any unforeseen circumstances we plan to re-enable them sometime next week.

That's it for this week!

Don't forget to tune into my streams on our official Twitch channel on Saturday nights at 5:30PM EST / 10:30PM GMT for all the chat, action, and giveaways!

Thanks as always and enjoy the weekend :)

Click here to visit the DAoC Herald!
DAoC Community Lead
Broadsword Online Games
Tagged:

Comments

• While I don't completely agree with the answer given regarding Crescendo, I'm glad it was addressed. Thank you.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • CL 15 bows proc at 1-2%...yeah, sure :)

Who`s answering the grab bag questions? Maybe he/she should play more.

They are stating that the proc rates are within 1-2%, not actually 1-2%.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • 1-2% would be useless

They are stating that the proc rates are within 1-2%, not actually 1-2%.

The proc rate of the cl15 bow is min. 10%, it procs in each fight so prolly higher.
  • Crazy proc rate on this bow . A bit too mutch
  • Just an update for today but unfortunately name changes are delayed for a little bit longer, just a very little bit!! They'll return early next week, and bring with them Curse changes, and more :)

Thanks all!
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • Just an update for today but unfortunately name changes are delayed for a little bit longer, just a very little bit!! They'll return early next week, and bring with them Curse changes, and more :)

Thanks all!

Sweet, finally some Armsmen changes, thanks for the early good news Beibs /hug
  • @carol
    We would like RR15 for Herorius so he'll play more.
    And a cupcake. :)
  • I don’t seem to see anything that mentions armsman amp
  • edited December 2018 PM
    Cartoan wrote: »
    @carol

i actually think BS should bring rr 15 into the game ( at current increase in rp per level,probably like close to 500 000 000 rps for rr 15), even if there is even only ONE player it really applies to.... atm. next statement is going to be hard on me, but, he deserves some reward for keeping up/playing after RR 14. and i totally disagree in how he's doing it, be he should have some progression for his character.
    Post edited by Muylae on
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.

Thanks all!

why would you think that anything towards armsmen wouldn't be for heavy tanks in general ?

armsmen / other heavy tanks :

advantage : best armour
    disadvantage : dual speccing.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • Muylae wrote: »
    Just an update for today but unfortunately name changes are delayed for a little bit longer, just a very little bit!! They'll return early next week, and bring with them Curse changes, and more :)

Thanks all!

why would you think that anything towards armsmen wouldn't be for heavy tanks in general ?

I don't know, because Armsmen are bottom of the rung in comparison to the other two? Something crazy like that?

Warrior>>Hero>Armsman.

Advantage: Best armor - Lol, please, like plate armor means anything on an armsman anymore

Disadvantage: Dual speccing - This is a little more than a "disadvantage" that absolutely requires higher RR to circumvent.
  • BurkleyRIP wrote: »
    I don’t seem to see anything that mentions armsman amp

She just hasn't posted them yet. I'm definitely NOT delusional
    Cartoan wrote: »
    @carol

i actually think BS should bring rr 15 into the game ( at current increase in rp per level,probably like close to 500 000 000 rps for rr 15), even if there is even only ONE player it really applies to.... atm. next statement is going to be hard on me, but, he deserves some reward for keeping up/playing after RR 14. and i totally disagree in how he's doing it, be he should have some progression for his character.

I agree 100% on this.
    Just an update for today but unfortunately name changes are delayed for a little bit longer, just a very little bit!! They'll return early next week, and bring with them Curse changes, and more :)

Thanks all!

I don't know, because Armsmen are bottom of the rung in comparison to the other two? Something crazy like that?

Warrior>>Hero>Armsman.

Advantage: Best armor - Lol, please, like plate armor means anything on an armsman anymore

Disadvantage: Dual speccing - This is a little more than a "disadvantage" that absolutely requires higher RR to circumvent.

if you don't think that 34 % ABS instead of 27 % ABS is an advantage, then i don't know what to say.
    Muylae wrote: »

Thanks all!

Warrior>>Hero>Armsman.

if you don't think that 34 % ABS instead of 27 % ABS is an advantage, then i don't know what to say.

If that's your only comparison among the three, then I don't know what to say.

I'd say having higher weapon table, higher defenses, tactics and moose are "slightly" better than the abs bonus plate provides.
  • Yup plate abs isn’t super amazing when you look at the recent love warriors have been given. That being said maybe 2K19 is the year but tbh there are other classes to play in Albion.
  • I don't think heavy tanks as a whole need loving, but Armsman could use some slight tweaks to put them on par with Warriors/Heroes.
    Muylae wrote: »

Thanks all!

Warrior>>Hero>Armsman.

If that's your only comparison among the three, then I don't know what to say.

I'd say having higher weapon table, higher defenses, tactics and moose are "slightly" better than the abs bonus plate provides.

if you don't acknowledge that having the best armour in the game is a bonus ...

arms and heroes on table 22, warriors are on 23, sure. (mercs, zerks, bms, and for some reason, vamps are also on 22, ... savages are on 20, compensated by their self damage buff when they can use it, but it leaves them with way lower WS which is a big handicap ..)

higher defences ?

i DO acknowledge that armsmen sort of have to choose between optimal in one handed + shield OR two handed/polearm OR hybrid one hand + two handed / pole arm. if they specialize in one hand or two hand/pole, their damage output is second to none. if they want to have both options, well, they suffer a bit. i've seen pure weapon + shield armsmen that put out decent damage but are nearly impossible to kill in melee and i've seen pure polearm armsmen that have no shield spec, that hit like nothing else. that indeed is not a concern that wariors have. i'm a little bit less familiar with how heros work tbh to compare. it seems by the design of the armsmen class you have to choose, you can't have it all.
  • RonELuvv wrote: »
    I don't think heavy tanks as a whole need loving, but Armsman could use some slight tweaks to put them on par with Warriors/Heroes.

2.1or maybe even 2.2 spec points to compensate for the double speccing ?
  • edited December 2018 PM
    I think that seems a fair idea without going overboard @Muylae. Maybe make snapshot free and on a 15 min timer or at the least a much lower spec on xbow.
    Post edited by RonELuvv on