Quick comparison: Fire Wizard (50f/20e) vs Cursing Warlock (48c/24w)

2»

Comments

• Missed your post Burk :wink: but what I said is true. I miss holding towers with my 3 AFK Bainshees pulsing 350 radius PBAE
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler
  • Muylae wrote: »
    a curse/wc lock is something that doesn't exist. noone does it.

you are comparing a curse/hex spec to a fire wizard ... fair enough to some degree. but a fire wizard is a superior RANGED damage dealer. you could also compare a curse/hex lock to an ice wizard. but i would consider the ice wizard a better AE damage dealer (and single target damage dealer). ranged AE damage with ice debuff (that affect pbaoe)/ other AE effects including AE slow, AE root, AE disease, superior RR 5.

curse / hex locks are imho inferior to fire or ice wizards, but they are a nice combination of both. they have chambers and they have primers that affect some spells which make me put them on par with both the wizard specs IMHO.

Funny, I've never seen a ice/fire wizard tank a melee dps before. Warlocks are far superior to wizards in terms of utility/spec. Stating otherwise is simply ignorant.

you are comparing a curse/hex spec to a fire wizard ... fair enough to some degree. but a fire wizard is a superior RANGED damage dealer. you could also compare a curse/hex lock to an ice wizard. but i would consider the ice wizard a better AE damage dealer (and single target damage dealer). ranged AE damage with ice debuff (that affect pbaoe)/ other AE effects including AE slow, AE root, AE disease, superior RR 5.

curse / hex locks are imho inferior to fire or ice wizards, but they are a nice combination of both. they have chambers and they have primers that affect some spells which make me put them on par with both the wizard specs IMHO.

Funny, I've never seen a ice/fire wizard tank a melee dps before. Warlocks are far superior to wizards in terms of utility/spec. Stating otherwise is simply ignorant.

RR5 + MoC has allowed me to kill most melee classes on my Wizard. I'm not the only one who has done this either.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

RR5 + MoC has allowed me to kill most melee classes on my Wizard. I'm not the only one who has done this either.

Aye, but you don't get that from simply speccing into it. I'd reference Westlock as my point of reference regarding the capability of warlocks. The ability to tank an Armsman is quite nice.
  • RR5 + MoC has allowed me to kill most melee classes on my Wizard. I'm not the only one who has done this either.

You'd think a charge tank would know how to charge out of PBAE/RR5, lol. I'm sure it can happen, but just about any other PBAE caster in the same situation would fare better.
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

and you have seen a lock tank a melee dps before ?

far superior ? man, some of the thing you say ...

and resulting to insults again ... sigh.

what was even the point of the post you made ?

a few days ago smeger group of which i was a part switched to alb to help defend against herorius in a boldiam defence. so i got on my ice wiz in a 12 years old template ...

i could never do the sort of dps on my my lock in a lord room that i did on my ice wiz. it's more situational and more burst, i agree. but rr5 + moc pbaoe ... i'm jealous of that rr5 on my loc.

ice wizards have far superior single target DD damage, awesome ranged AE DD options (curse has no ranged AE). a rr 5 which in combination with normal pbaoe output has the highest pbaoe output in the game.

Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.

Muylae wrote: »

Aye, but you don't get that from simply speccing into it. I'd reference Westlock as my point of reference regarding the capability of warlocks. The ability to tank an Armsman is quite nice.

and westlock is a curse lock ?
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • edited November 2018 PM

a few days ago smeger group of which i was a part switched to alb to help defend against herorius in a boldiam defence. so i got on my ice wiz in a 12 years old template ...

i could never do the sort of dps on my my lock in a lord room that i did on my ice wiz. it's more situational and more burst, i agree. but rr5 + moc pbaoe ... i'm jealous of that rr5 on my loc.

ice wizards have far superior single target DD damage, awesome ranged AE DD options (curse has no ranged AE). a rr 5 which in combination with normal pbaoe output has the highest pbaoe output in the game.

I was actually there on my Scout. I /slapped you twice. You died, I died, your group died, we all died, and we lost the keep. Nate had to take the keep back. I'm not even sure if you guys killed that many people because as soon as the doors went down you all folded in seconds and the rest of us on top of the keep got zerged down.

The RR5 does some damage but its DPS is nothing spectacular. The burst and consistent DPS of a UI spamming lock (UI does cast at 2s, does it not?) will outkill an Ice Wizard every time, straight out of the box, no MOC or RR5. Especially considering Skalds literally **** out group power and you can have 4-5 power heal items, stack +20-25 regen, drink 10% omni potions, with omni procs, etc ... not to mention the fact that Mid is simply better put together as a realm and not janky like Alb is.
    Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler
  • Ylazul wrote: »

You'd think a charge tank would know how to charge out of PBAE/RR5, lol. I'm sure it can happen, but just about any other PBAE caster in the same situation would fare better.

curse locks can debuf their damage, disease it, rr5 and do damage, can become damage immune for a number of seconds and heal their selves at the same time while their rr5 does damage ?

apples / pears.
    Ylazul wrote: »

curse locks can debuf their damage, disease it, rr5 and do damage, can become damage immune for a number of seconds and heal their selves at the same time while their rr5 does damage ?

apples / pears.

The spec you suggested literally can do just that with an unbreakable snare rather than a disease. Wiz RR5 does not make you "damage immune", it generates a 160 DPS Ablative. And WoF heals? I don't see it in patch notes. Not to mention you're relying on two 10 and 15m timered abilities that require RR5 and 30 points. A Warlock can do all this without spending any RA points. You're jumping all over the map here. It sounds like you're comparing at RR11, WP8, MOC5 while RR5s are up?

Even then a RR7 Warlock is better at PBAE.
    Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

apples / pears.

The spec you suggested literally can do just that with an unbreakable snare rather than a disease. Wiz RR5 does not make you "damage immune", it generates a 160 DPS Ablative. And WoF heals? I don't see it in patch notes. Not to mention you're relying on two 10 and 15m timered abilities that require RR5 and 30 points. A Warlock can do all this without spending any RA points. You're jumping all over the map here. It sounds like you're comparing at RR11, WP8, MOC5 while RR5s are up?

Even then a RR7 Warlock is better at PBAE.

i'm talking about the baseline fire ability. that makes damage immune and heals.

didn't you read the part that said that ice wizard is more situational and more burst ? they need their moc and rr 5, but those two combined, wow, major damage that keeps damaging even while cc'd.
    didn't you read the part that said that ice wizard is more situational and more burst ? they need their moc and rr 5, but those two combined, wow, major damage that keeps damaging even while cc'd.

How does an Ice Wiz do more DPS than any other PBAE caster with MOC?? And you can't even cast with the baseline Fire ability up. Why would anyone stand in your RR5 while you're immune?
    Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

How does an Ice Wiz do more DPS than any other PBAE caster with MOC?? And you can't even cast with the baseline Fire ability up. Why would anyone stand in your RR5 while you're immune?

no, you can't cast while using that baseline fire spec ability... but you heal and you don't take damage. rr5 + that ability is really a nice combo...

wizard rr5 + pbaoe is the highest DPS pbaoe in the game, if you argue that ... i don't know.

also keep in mind that warlocks only have one baseline ... WC and HEX don't have baselines. what do they get from baseline ? an out of spec bolt and an out of spec baseline nuke. no other baseline benefits. ANY other caster gets something from their non spec baseline. and curse locks get ONLY a baseline bolt from it.
    Post edited by Muylae on

The other PBAoE caster that may fare better is a Spiritmaster due to pet intercept. I have not pulled it off with an Eldritch, Enchanter, or Cabalist by simply MoC bombing. These classes require kiting. The only Warlock spec that I have had issue with in a 1v1 scenario is Witchcraft. I doubt a Curse Warlock would have more success solo.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

no, you can't cast while using that baseline fire spec ability... but you heal and you don't take damage. rr5 + that ability is really a nice combo...

wizard rr5 + pbaoe is the highest DPS pbaoe in the game, if you argue that ... i don't know.

WOF does like 200ish damage a tick (every 3 seconds). That's 66 DPS. Over a radius of 150.

A Warlock that hits its chamber does 600-700 instantly, then casts PBAE every 1.06 seconds doing 700-800 damage each. A Wizard casts every 1.04 for that much. Or were Lock UI's slowed down significantly?

Warlock: 2900+ in 4.24 seconds = 683 DPS
    Wizard: 2400+ in 4.16 seconds = 576 DPS

That's NOT counting the fact that the Wizard needs BOTH a level 5 active and a RR5 to do that damage, and we're also NOT counting Banelord abilities that can be tossed in.
    Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

also keep in mind that warlocks only have one baseline ... WC and HEX don't have baselines. what do they get from baseline ? an out of spec bolt and an out of spec baseline nuke. no other baseline benefits. ANY other caster gets something from their non spec baseline. and curse locks get ONLY a baseline bolt from it.

WC locks used to get a baseline nuke in curse that they could mater debuff with their only magic resist debuff, but that got nerfed when they changed the damage type of the baseline nuke. i guess WC locks doing the same as mana chanter debuffing heat and using a non spec fire nuke was good enough to get that nerfed.

WC locks used to get a baseline nuke in curse that they could mater debuff with their only magic resist debuff, but that got nerfed when they changed the damage type of the baseline nuke. i guess WC locks doing the same as mana chanter debuffing heat and using a non spec fire nuke was good enough to get that nerfed.

Curse used to have hard-capped cast times. Mid gets self debuff/nuke on Spiritmasters AND Runemasters, two in the realm just like the other two realms
    Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

Curse used to have hard-capped cast times. Mid gets self debuff/nuke on Spiritmasters AND Runemasters, two in the realm just like the other two realms

curse used to have hard capped casting times yes, that was in the times that they could customize their chambers and dump multiple chambers at once. warlocks are a completely different class now.

warlocks can no longer dump 3 pbaoe + lifetap chambers at once ...
    Post edited by Muylae on

curse used to have hard capped casting times yes, that was in the times that they could customize their chambers and dump multiple chambers at once. warlocks are a completely different class now.

I don't get why you're saying poor Warlocks just want what Mana Chanters have, when its quite clear each realm is going to have 2 debuff nukers now and Warlocks are not one of them? Just be glad WL base nuke is actually on one of the main debuff train damage types, unlike Wizards.

Post edited by Ylazul on
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler

I don't get why you're saying poor Warlocks just want what Mana Chanters have, when its quite clear each realm is going to have 2 debuff nukers now and Warlocks are not one of them? Just be glad WL base nuke is actually on one of the main debuff train damage types, unlike Wizards.

as far as hex locks went, it was a nerf. you don't see many hex locks anymore, do you ?
  • Prob because the other two lines are stellar.
    Minstrel. Thane, Druid
    Heretic, BD, Animist
    Mauler