PSA For people streaming/recording

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on something when streaming/recording. Recording someone's voice is something to consider. Please inform your groups or who's voice you are recording. There are laws on how notified someone needs to be and they vary from state to state (not sure on EU). I know this seems trivial, but it is, in fact, a privacy thing. In one state only one person needs to know their conversation is recorded, while in another state (most states) both parties need to know they are being recorded. Best bet and best manner would be to let everyone know you are recording/broadcasting (yes this would apply to just streaming as well, twitch saves the recordings, thus making it recorded), and make sure everyone is good with it.

Comments

• if you don't want your voice being broadcasted on the internet, then don't broadcast it on the internet.. lol

• You give up those rights as soon as you log into a chat program. There is no guarantee that your voice isn’t being further distributed. And it says so in TS or discord TOS.
    Symonde (Cleric)
    Symfriar (Friar duh)
    Symsorc (Double duh)
    Sympets (Theurg)
    Symmond (Arms)
    Some random mids and hibs
  • Only 12 states require the consent of more than 1 person being recorded, however there is no expectation of privacy here and while I agree that it's polite to inform your group/zerg/whatever that you're streaming, its by no means required and you certainly don't break the law if you don't notify them. You're using a 3rd party service and have no expectation to not be recorded. Also as @Sym pointed out it's likely in the TOS of all these programs/services that they can/will/do record or allow recording.
  • edited July 2018 PM
    [edited]
    Post edited by Driralin on
  • edited July 2018 PM
    Staticc wrote: »
    Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on something when streaming/recording. Recording someone's voice is something to consider. Please inform your groups or who's voice you are recording. There are laws on how notified someone needs to be and they vary from state to state (not sure on EU). I know this seems trivial, but it is, in fact, a privacy thing. In one state only one person needs to know their conversation is recorded, while in another state (most states) both parties need to know they are being recorded. Best bet and best manner would be to let everyone know you are recording/broadcasting (yes this would apply to just streaming as well, twitch saves the recordings, thus making it recorded), and make sure everyone is good with it.

Specifically EU -

Possible GDPR issue?

GDPR will be in compliance as long as the service you are using meets the minimum standards of encryption during your broadcast (i.e. protect the identity of viewers) which is all handled by Twitch and the majority of other live streaming services. Twitch is required to provide a means for someone to have their content removed (i.e. their voice) Twitch is also required to present opt-ins for your content to be shared. GDPR would only apply to the company providing the service, not the streamer.

GDPR example -

Person 1 is in voice discord with person 2. Person 1 does not know that person 2 is live streaming. Both persons live in the EU.
    Person 2 did not consent to having their conversation broadcast, they will need to ask Twitch to take down the audio.

USA -

Generally it's not an issue in the USA as long as it's not copywritten and is located in a public place (i.e chatroom.) There's no expectation of privacy when you use voice chat apps. However, Twitch has been known to err on the side of caution for take down requests, so if you were particularly miffed, you could request that Twitch removes that audio portion.

TL;DR personal live streaming is fine. Always assume someone else is listening when you speak online.
    Post edited by Ciddire on