Realistically, what happens if it fails?

I tend to periodically see certain comments about how EC is a last-ditch attempt at "saving the game", and that because it requires the participation of 3 realms in order to truly function (as intended); an adequate population is vital. So what will ACTUALLY happen if EC sort of dwindles off like most new shards do, and the number of subs either does not increase, or it stays as it has been?

I can think of 50 different outcomes and I'm sure all of you can as well, but what I want to know is if Broadsword has ever made any concrete statements about what will happen and under what conditions. Would the server data be sold off to a buyer, would it be destroyed?

Comments

• edited November 2019 PM
    aint no where to qo but up so be optimistic its your only option ! ;)
    Post edited by Huehuaehue on
  • Considering EA owns the rights to DAoC, I expect they'll just shut it down once the game is no longer profitable and won't bother trying to sell it unless there's an interested buyer. Therefore, it's in Broadsword's best interest to listen to feedback provided by both subscribers and EC players to minimize this outcome. A new server may help down the line but if the reasons players lose interest or quit are not addressed, then the game will just continue to spiral down the population hole.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Tyrantanic wrote: »
    Considering EA owns the rights to DAoC, I expect they'll just shut it down once the game is no longer profitable and won't bother trying to sell it unless there's an interested buyer. Therefore, it's in Broadsword's best interest to listen to feedback provided by both subscribers and EC players to minimize this outcome. A new server may help down the line but if the reasons players lose interest or quit are not addressed, then the game will just continue to spiral down the population hole.

lol its EA they probably already tried/sold our personal/metric data if they could. Oh did you mean like the server code/ object database? Ya they have stated that they didnt have the code from classic so i'm guessing a lot of the stuff is a real mess (and this would give the nice excuse for why the BS developers take years to do anything more then content changes). If the company fails i'm guessing the game will just be gone other then the emulators that are currently out there (they run on there own code that just emulates the messages a client expects from a server so its like not the servers/databases would look anything alike). I wouldn't be surprised if there historical "source" is simply a snapshot of the AWS instance : )

Though it would be nice if things work out, and EA gets a heart and gives the community after they retire a game, or BS goes open source so we can help with their bugs : )
  • To me they should of made a fresh new server for the start of EC. This would of given new players and returning players a way to get back into the game. Everyone would of started on an even playing field. New players and in some cases returning players are never going to be able to compete in RvR against high ranking groups. They are going to go out there and get their butts kicked and eventually quit because it's not fun. A fresh server would of started a new community feel for new players coming to the game.

Or if they wanted to give it a try maybe they could go the route of other games and try a progression server. Start from launch and work their way through expansion and added content. Anything to peek peoples interest in playing the game.
  • A new server would get people but only if done correctly. I would definitely roll a new toon if we started on classic and then moved to sin and then easier version of toa.
  • I don't think people are willingly going to give up powerful characters and all the progress they've made in terms of realm ranks and wealth. I think you're stuck with Ywain and a new server would just fragment the population.
  • Population is not enough for 2 servers lol.
    But it is increasing, we just had 250 in hib. Many people are coming back.
  • It's that time of year. Population will climb for a bit, hopefully will increase even more.
  • Mirewolf wrote: »
    I tend to periodically see certain comments about how EC is a last-ditch attempt at "saving the game", and that because it requires the participation of 3 realms in order to truly function (as intended); an adequate population is vital. So what will ACTUALLY happen if EC sort of dwindles off like most new shards do, and the number of subs either does not increase, or it stays as it has been?

I can think of 50 different outcomes and I'm sure all of you can as well, but what I want to know is if Broadsword has ever made any concrete statements about what will happen and under what conditions. Would the server data be sold off to a buyer, would it be destroyed?

A few points -
    EC in it's current state is very much in flux and has been changed several times based on feedback. So, I think we aren't anywhere close to the 'doom and gloom' stage yet. There's also supposed to be several content changes occurring post EC (new UI / Cata zone revamp / Housing ) and a progression server.

As far as the hypothetical 'what if' : EA doesn't sell off it's owned IP, even if the games themselves are dead / shutdown. It is kept in their portfolio as an asset that could be rebooted and looks nice to investors.

Also, based on prior statements, DAoC is incredibility lean to run and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. So, you would need both Ultima Online to completely tank (which it hasn't in almost 20yrs) AND DAoC before you ever got to a 'gloom and doom' scenario.

I think we'll see EA crash and burn before we see DAoC go anywhere.
  • Huehuaehue wrote: »
    aint no where to qo but up so be optimistic its your only option ! ;)
    Sup nate