200P max on merchants

I realize this has been requested many times, but given the departure of so many folks recently I'm wasting a lot of time trying to buy items off CMs that are tied to houses under repossession and that are full of plat.

Is it super hard to highlight items on the market explorer whose price exceeds the remaining amount of the 200P maximum for that house consignment merchant? At least we would know we can't buy them and not waste time riding around Housing.

Any other thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

  • Make an alt with no money and try to buy through Market Explorer. If it's holding too much money, it'll let you know. Otherwsie, it'll say you don't have enough which means you can buy it.
  • Thanks for the workaround!

    I guess another improvement would be to remove the Market Explorer fee altogether. Why do we have to ride all over housing to save 10-20 plat?
  • stewbeedoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the workaround!

    I guess another improvement would be to remove the Market Explorer fee altogether. Why do we have to ride all over housing to save 10-20 plat?

    Agreed. Its a very simple change that greatly improves the current housing experience At least then you don't waste time running around just to discover you can't buy anything.
  • Would like not having to run around, but mainly because of full houses. Else not much hassle, since I don't run around every day, however reducing plat sinks in an inflated environment doesn't sound like a great idea without increasing elsewhere. Also, best tax is laziness tax :P
  • Breaking the limitation of plat on a character. Great idea that has been discussed many times. I think i've seen the reasoning behind why it cant be done.... but i also wonder if people are taking notes. I'd lmao if i saw this implemented somewhere else.
  • Why can we have thousands of Mithril, but not thousands of plat, though?
  • Nightmare wrote: »
    Why can we have thousands of Mithril, but not thousands of plat, though?

    :o
  • Lol @Nightmare fairly easy to guess why
  • Yah, I have complained in the past about the limits on plat. I know I was told in the past that it was 2 main reasons.

    1. It helps to keep inflation down since you can't charge 200p+ for an item on your merchant, meaning you essentially have a hard cap of anything you want to sell on your CM.
    2. Something about the coding only allowing for so much plat to be held on a toon/CM. No clue if that is true or not, but I have heard this used numerous times.

    Honestly, although I would love to see both caps removed, I would even be ok with us being able to put mansion deeds in our house vaults. They are tradeable, so why can I only store them in my personal vault? I should be able to put those deeds in my house vault any of my alts can have access to them.
  • Sleepwell wrote: »
    Breaking the limitation of plat on a character. Great idea that has been discussed many times. I think i've seen the reasoning behind why it cant be done.... but i also wonder if people are taking notes. I'd lmao if i saw this implemented somewhere else.

    The code the game is written in prevents them from increasing the plat cap. Hence the weird cap of 214 plat 700+ gold (I don't remember the exact value). One of many limitations for an old game like DAoC. It would be easier to make DAoC 2.0 than change stuff like this.
  • edited February 8 PM
    Sleepwell wrote: »
    Breaking the limitation of plat on a character. Great idea that has been discussed many times. I think i've seen the reasoning behind why it cant be done.... but i also wonder if people are taking notes. I'd lmao if i saw this implemented somewhere else.

    The code the game is written in prevents them from increasing the plat cap. Hence the weird cap of 214 plat 700+ gold (I don't remember the exact value). One of many limitations for an old game like DAoC. It would be easier to make DAoC 2.0 than change stuff like this.

    This always confused me though and the reason was the mithril coin in the bank. Why have that in the game if you could never hold more than 214p? Also, I'm not referring to the new "mithril" currency, but rather the actual mithril currency coin next to the plat currency coin. That has been implemented in game for a long time, but why would they even put that in if you couldn't hold a mithril (1k plat)?
    Post edited by RonELuvv on
  • No idea. Mythic released the game with so many bugs back in 2001 I think a lot of people fail to see how far the game has come.
  • RonELuvv wrote: »
    Yah, I have complained in the past about the limits on plat. I know I was told in the past that it was 2 main reasons.

    1. It helps to keep inflation down since you can't charge 200p+ for an item on your merchant, meaning you essentially have a hard cap of anything you want to sell on your CM.
    2. Something about the coding only allowing for so much plat to be held on a toon/CM. No clue if that is true or not, but I have heard this used numerous times.

    Honestly, although I would love to see both caps removed, I would even be ok with us being able to put mansion deeds in our house vaults. They are tradeable, so why can I only store them in my personal vault? I should be able to put those deeds in my house vault any of my alts can have access to them.

    I agree with the purchasing caps, of not being able to set prices higher than 200p. Why not just increase the amount of plat carried by both players and CMs, but keep the amount of plat to set an item, still below 200p. You know how much of a PITA it is to carry about mansion deeds in your bank, then finding an NPC in the middle of a housing complex...
  • 1000 mithril atm is 1000 mithril, 200p is 200.000.000.000 copper or smth i am lazy to count, if there wouldn't be inflation, it wouldn't be an issue since it was less of an issue years before. Otherwise, the code prevents it being higher.
  • edited February 8 PM
    The number 2,147,483,647 is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer

    214 plat 748 G 36 silver 47 copper ( or 2147483647 copper )

    Is a guess i would throw out there, but ofc i might be wrong.
    Post edited by Vrisslar on
  • 32 bit...integer.....heh? lol
  • English please!!
  • Keltorius wrote: »
    English please!!

    With 50 cents and 214 plats you can buy a cup of coffee.
  • I have an idea. Although I expect it to fall on deaf ears, here it is: When a person tries to buy something from a CM and can't because it's holding too much the person gets to buy it anyway and the plat or gold or whatever goes right to me.. er, right to BS and the person gets the item. Problem solved!
  • Vrisslar wrote: »
    The number 2,147,483,647 is the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer

    214 plat 748 G 36 silver 47 copper ( or 2147483647 copper )

    Is a guess i would throw out there, but ofc i might be wrong.

    Yup - that occurred to me as well and makes sense. Unfortunate.

    Remember when Excel could only handle 65,536 rows in a spreadsheet? Ah the good old days...
  • Nightmare wrote: »
    Why can we have thousands of Mithril, but not thousands of plat, though?

    technically the limit isn't 200 plat but 2147483647 (or the largest possible number in a 32 bit value) copper i think, rounded down to 2000000000 copper.
    Vicomtessa Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • edited February 9 PM
    I'm not technical but far as I remember from way back that 32bit thingy is why, and Mith is separate. Pretty much nailed it already in the thread.

    But the full merchant was something we had planned for our housing updates which are due after Endless Conquest. It's code work so I don't know what'd be involved in getting it in sooner or how it would effect current dev plans/progress.
    Post edited by Carol_Broadsword on
    DAoC Community Lead
    Broadsword Online Games
  • heh, i should have read the rest of the thread before posting ..

    well, they could work around this limit by getting rid of the copper ....

    2147483647 silver equals 21474 plat.

    or they could make the copper a value between zero and 10 instead of a value between 0 and 100 (that would mean 10 copper is 1 silver instead of 100 copper is 1 silver), which would allow you to have 2147 plat.
    Vicomtessa Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • I'm not technical but far as I remember from way back that 32bit thingy is why, and Mith is separate. Pretty much nailed it already in the thread.

    But the full merchant was something we had planned for our housing updates which are due after Endless Conquest. It's code work so I don't know what'd be involved in getting it in sooner or how it would effect current dev plans/progress.

    Why not turn off the fee until a better solution can be found? It should be an easy enough thing to do and would prevent people from having to teleport and run all around housing in frustration. It's a simple QOL change that helps immediately improve the housing experience. If the fee to purchase via the market explorer wasn't there full houses wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. If it can't just be be disabled then reduce the fee to 0.01%.
  • Said it perfect @Muylae, all that needs to happen is for BS to lose the copper and silver values and run with only plat and gold. This would solve personal plat issues and full consignment merchants. Looks however that any update is a long time off for a problem we have had for a long time now.
    Demmpsey - Animist
    Demmps - Vampiir
    Mimins - Bard
    Dempseas - Warden
    Dempsee - Hero
  • Muylae wrote: »
    heh, i should have read the rest of the thread before posting ..

    well, they could work around this limit by getting rid of the copper ....

    2147483647 silver equals 21474 plat.

    or they could make the copper a value between zero and 10 instead of a value between 0 and 100 (that would mean 10 copper is 1 silver instead of 100 copper is 1 silver), which would allow you to have 2147 plat.

    Personally i think that doing that would just leave another problem.
    Converting it to silver, would make 1 G mob drop a 100 G mob drop, a 1 plat quest reward would be a 100 plat quest reward, so every reward in the game with cash value would have to be adjusted not to be left with the same problem, i would imagine that would be pretty time consuming.

    But again i might be wrong.
  • edited February 9 PM
    Ewer wrote: »
    I'm not technical but far as I remember from way back that 32bit thingy is why, and Mith is separate. Pretty much nailed it already in the thread.

    But the full merchant was something we had planned for our housing updates which are due after Endless Conquest. It's code work so I don't know what'd be involved in getting it in sooner or how it would effect current dev plans/progress.

    Why not turn off the fee until a better solution can be found? It should be an easy enough thing to do and would prevent people from having to teleport and run all around housing in frustration. It's a simple QOL change that helps immediately improve the housing experience. If the fee to purchase via the market explorer wasn't there full houses wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. If it can't just be be disabled then reduce the fee to 0.01%.

    This. The fee doesn't serve its purpose anymore as a plat sink due to the high prices on housing. Removing the fee would be a welcomed QoL change.
    Post edited by Tyrantanic on
  • Vrisslar wrote: »
    Muylae wrote: »
    heh, i should have read the rest of the thread before posting ..

    well, they could work around this limit by getting rid of the copper ....

    2147483647 silver equals 21474 plat.

    or they could make the copper a value between zero and 10 instead of a value between 0 and 100 (that would mean 10 copper is 1 silver instead of 100 copper is 1 silver), which would allow you to have 2147 plat.

    Personally i think that doing that would just leave another problem.
    Converting it to silver, would make 1 G mob drop a 100 G mob drop, a 1 plat quest reward would be a 100 plat quest reward, so every reward in the game with cash value would have to be adjusted not to be left with the same problem, i would imagine that would be pretty time consuming.

    But again i might be wrong.

    making a few assumption here, like one database for mobs and one database for quest. but it could be as easy as dividing the column with the cash reward for quests in copper and the column with the monster drop reward in copper in their respective databases by 10 or by 100. which is just somewhere between a few seconds and a few minutes worth of work.

    Vicomtessa Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • edited February 9 PM
    Personally i belive that if it was simple it would have been sorted a long time ago, else its kind of silly not to have been solved yet i think.

    Edit: Deleted brain fart :P
    Post edited by Vrisslar on
  • edited February 9 PM
    could atleast change that from signed long to unsigned long to double the amount :)
    Post edited by Tubben on
  • edited February 9 PM
    Vrisslar wrote: »
    How would quests that reward 20 silver and 50 copper then be handled, in a new system with pure silver where you just divide, wouldnt 50 copper be ½ a silver you then have no measurement for and still have to adjust each reward ?
    Also i think there are no colum for copper per se, as everything is handled in copper thats why you /settle in copper values.

    Might have missunderstod you and again i might be wrong lol.

    Personally i belive that if it was simple it would have been sorted a long time ago, else its kind of silly not to have been solved yet i think.

    yes i think every amount of money is calculated on the server in copper

    having thought a bit further, i think my idea to completely drop copper is not as good as my idea to reduce copper from a value between 0 and 100 to a value between 0 and 10, which makes that 10 copper would be 1 silver.

    this would allow each character and the CMs to hold 2000 plat, which would be more than enough i think ..

    and things like xxx.5 silver can easely be rounded up or down, shrug.

    some things can have a (relatively) easy solution, doesn't mean someone has thought about it before ...
    Post edited by Muylae on
    Vicomtessa Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • edited February 9 PM
    Tubben wrote: »
    could atleast change that from signed to unsigned to double the amount :)

    that might actually have far reaching consequences and merely doubling the amount ... might not be enough.

    i'm sure there must have been good reasons to use used a signed integer for that.

    for those that have no idea what a signed or unsigned number is, it means that the value can either be positive or negative, meaning in this case that the amount of money can vary between -214... and +214... an unsigned number can only be positive, but can be twice as big. yeah technical computer stuff relevant in programming.
    Post edited by Muylae on
    Vicomtessa Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • All of the capital cities seem to be flourishing well over the last 15+ years of 20% tax in housing.. Think we can have a break? :smile:
  • Yeah a tax break would be nice. I thought games were to help us forget RL for 2,3,4 or more hours. lol
  • With the limit imposed by the 32-bit issue there are options. Maybe create bank accounts that the money would deposit into if your merchant is full. If one is full it creates and deposits into another. Create a Banker Npc that can shows all of your accounts for your game account. Also let people create bank accounts to deposit or withdraw money. Creating in-game tokens that represent higher amounts, 100p, 500p, etc, would also help people that have so much in-game money.
  • I heard they have a solution for the filled CM's in their housing patch, its just been delayed many times now, the housing patch, i do hope that we will get it right after endless conquest, as its imo one of the most important patches we need right now. Because its kind of hard to explian to any new players who might come, why they have to check the price with one toon, with no plat, before running to the house with a toon who has the plats for the item. Adn with just 1 annount thats a real drag, having to swap toons before buying, specially when buying for a whole template.

    For me personally its annoying but its something i live with, i take the nessesary measures to avoid running to a full house, and even though annoying its not the end of the world for me.

    But yea BS looking forward to the housing patch :D
  • I'd be happy if they simply spelled the word wihtdraw correctly on the CM.
Sign In or Register to comment.