problems with the annamariede BG.

edited November 2018 in General Board
it's frustrating at best to run with anna, unless it's a really good evening. (meaning, anna has way better numbers)

when anna has a clear numbers advantage, ok.

but when numbers are near equal or he only has a small numbers advantage, herorius just runs over him.

why ?

i can think of a few reasons.

- herorius has a bg that is good at pushing and anna bg just retreats, which means that pushing tanks in herorius bg might die a few times, but because herorius is advancing and anna is retreating, all people who die with herorius get rezzed and rejoin the fight while all people that die with anna, due to the retreating don't get rezzes and decrease the number of fighting people in anna bg, which results in a guaranteed loss for anna.

- anna likes fighting in restricted areas like the mg pass around and the safe port road. with such a caster heavy bg like anna's, it simply doesn't work. most of the time it results in the majority of anna's bg being interrupted and failing to do any dps and dieing. with anna's bg people, he needs open field where some of his casters will be able to cast at least and where a single animist can't lock down his entire bg by sending bomber pets on tanks that retreat into their support and get their whole support fucked.

- tower defences... too much mids are AE anchors and make any chance for the pbaoe in his BG to make a single point of defence impossible. i sometimes wonder if some of those AE anchors are on herorius pay list... maybe too much players are just plain stupid.

- anna can't exploit a good situation. too many times when he is actually winning, he just pulls off and allows herorius to rezz up and start pushing again. you can't run a BG like a pull group. retreating / breaking of means losing.

- anna bg simply doesn't have enough tanks that can play the 'push' game. when 90 % of your bg is squishy and interuptable, then herorius setup with a lot of pushing tanks that always get rezzed and re-enter the fray within a few seconds is a win for herorius.

as a caster in anna bg, i nuke and then i get interupted and i need to retreat to be able to cast again, there is nothing else to do, when i'm in range to nuke support or casters, i'm perma interupted, when i retreat enough to cast, i only have durable tanks to nuke... lose

it seems to me that anna bg is a victim of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons. everyone thinks only about their own self interest (playing casters to get more rp) but in the end making the whole bg not functioning.

i'm sure there's a lot more issues with anna bg, i just listed a few.
Post edited by Muylae on
Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.

Comments

• I think all realms suffer from a lot of the points you made Muylock. Hibs too suffer from people being ae anchors (usually the tanks are the cause). I've seen way too many times in tower/keep defense they go into a doorway to try and look and get ae focused or in towers the tanks (especially tall characters such as firbolgs and some minos) like to stand right next to the staircase rails and can be targetted from below and get everyone AE'd.

In openfield fights too many players play for themselves as you stated. I ran in a set group when I played during EU primetime bgs (recently stopped about a month ago due to RL changes). Our group members mostly played one single class but I would often switch up to what was needed. What I mean by that is one day I would play a creeping spec'd animist for bolt range ae roots for spamming interrupts while the rest of our group pushed in and killed. Other days I would play my eldritch and single spam nearsight interrupts on as many high priority targets as I could continuously switching from target to target and mixing in my ae disease when able to. Other times I would switch to my mentalist so we could have more static tempests if needed. And when we were facing greater numbers in openfield I would switch to my bainshee and ae nearsight constantly rotating on clumps of high priority casters/healers. When we were outnumbered and went into a defensive position I would switch specs and go pulse. Most bg days I would respec two to three times in one bg depending on the situation on all my characters. What I mean by saying all this is that there aren't a lot of people who play the way I do and switch to a support role as a dps. Most of the time I just see players from all sides just try and do damage. I mostly played casters during Annas bgs as I felt I contributed more as a caster than a tank. I have videos of me playing both casters and a tank during Hib EU primetime but even looking over my videos I still feel I contributed more as a caster through my ability to interrupt more players per ability. As a hib I will admit I have the option of playing what I like as Hibernia tends to run more tanks than Mids during EU primetime and this allows me to choose between caster or tank.

What I'm trying to say is if people played battlegroups the same way they should play 8v8 then as a realm they would be more successful. I've always played bgs the same way I did 8v8. I play the priority system. 1) Peel pets/players from groupmembers, 2) Interrupt/cc high priority targets, 3) fill in damage when able to. As I said earlier - most will just focus on doing damage and some don't utilize the full abilities of their class/specs. When people start to explore what their class/spec can fully do, then they will see more wins.
  • Sounds like the same problem with US prime alb bg’s
  • a) it is always your choice to /bg join <name>

b) it is always your choice to follow rather than lead

game needs more leaders, and less followers.

leaders don't need to be good (insert name here), they just need confidence and vision (and a consistant schedule - followers like consistancy).
  • tald wrote: »
    a) it is always your choice to /bg join <name>

b) it is always your choice to follow rather than lead

game needs more leaders, and less followers.

leaders don't need to be good (insert name here), they just need confidence and vision (and a consistant schedule - followers like consistancy).

This.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • edited November 2018 PM
    I been on Annas BG last night on my zerk, unfortunately i had to logg later, but i think at that point Hero ran over mid BG like 4 times. There have been closer fights, that could have been resulting some wins, but didn't work out that way.

I agree that mid BG had very little amount of melee last night, Hero's tanks just charged into BG, had amazing heals, while me on my Zerk found almost 0 tanks alongside with me, and our group had 1 healer who often got locked down fast by hib tanks, and couldn't push without being torn apart with no heal and no other tanks pushing focusing all hib damage on the very few tanks.

With utilizing some more tank on Mid BG, and making sure that tank heavy groups get enough heal would be a nice improvement, but recruiting in BGs are mostly random today. I don't blame Anna, it's impossible to push like that. Hibs had good ammount of Heros, BMs, Vamps charging in which we couldn't replicate. Sorting out healers in groups to make sure tank heavy groups have at least 2 healers would be possible.

Anyway, any BG leader is welcome I think, and very minority of the playerbase is up to lead, so we still have to thank any of them doing so. While my chaotic worktimes doesn't allow me to join the trey, hope some people will decide to try themselves out in leading BGs all realm. High percentage of playerbase, casuals, ones who can't afford godlike temps find that playtime enjoyable, I think it would improve playercount if most of realms had multiple BGs on separate times, so everyone has a chance to have fun without being pro.
    Post edited by Gavner on
  • edited November 2018 PM
    Biggest problem with Annas BG is that most groups wont invite warriors, berserkers or valkyries, let alone maulers or savages if they don't already have a "name", i.e. are known to be real good players. Lots of groups don't invite them, because "they are not making enough dmg for rps" or they simply are not able to join TS for proper communication (for whatever reason, just takes minuts to install tbh and Anna lately at least tries to give his commands in english) or don't have at least one dedicated healer, better two. But not doing so ultimately leads to what we've seen so many times lately. If we don't severely outnumber Hero by a big margin we wont win fights anymore except if the other BG screws things up big time or are caught on their wrong foot.

Truth is, you simply cannot push with a caster heavy bg as you will right out explode in enemies rupt and dmg while your own healers are charged by enemies tanks (and it looked like that Hero had at least three dedicated tank trains yesterday evening).

Two or three maulers with high mag "charging" the enemies tank trains will make it a lot harder for them to charge your own healers/casters while your own tanks can "charge" (berserks/savages/valkyries/warriors) the enemies ranks and rupt/stun/shear them while the valkyries can provide pbae heals (although they are only available on a timer). And yes, i know this is all paper daoc, but tbh... at this point of Anna running his BG it cannot get worse with the BG setup. Tanks running can at least do something, healers/shamans/casters cannot.
    Post edited by Cathul on
  • @Daelin

That is usually why in US prime the hibs can wipe 2 times their numbers because it’s is usually 2-3 8 mans that voltron to go fight zergs.

I never understood what fun there was to stick a bg leader and smash a key over and over again, but then you see Nate’s video, the self-proclaimed master strategist of the zerging warfare, and all you see him do is spam nearest target & ae amnesia, basically breaking all the cc that landed and letting his group members die. When you think that is the pinnacle of the zerg player, you have to wonder what the rest looks like.
  • Nearest target on the longest range spell in game is the equivalent of spamming a lvl 5 baseline root on a det9 light tank. Literally does little to nothing.
  • Shoke wrote: »
    @Daelin

That is usually why in US prime the hibs can wipe 2 times their numbers because it’s is usually 2-3 8 mans that voltron to go fight zergs.

I never understood what fun there was to stick a bg leader and smash a key over and over again, but then you see Nate’s video, the self-proclaimed master strategist of the zerging warfare, and all you see him do is spam nearest target & ae amnesia, basically breaking all the cc that landed and letting his group members die. When you think that is the pinnacle of the zerg player, you have to wonder what the rest looks like.

But...I thought this was supposed to be the mid game-changer....cause goodness knows, Mids have done so poorly for so long /sarcasm off
  • my back is still sore from yesterday from this bg... dang
    "I think what he is doing is good. For a long time Albs not have very good leaders. Natebruner is perfect, his accuracy, his pushing"
    HERORIUS

"Nate calling out fights in the Alb public bg has been a recent source of entertainment for me, most of those folks have never heard anyone call targets during US prime." Teddie

"First off I am pretty sure most Mids agree that Albs previous leaders were weak and Nate is actually bringing out action." Impounded

Discord me: Natebruner#3781
  • @Tald I agree on this!

It is your choice if u want to join Anna or not.

If I get bored of Herorius bg i just surf him or just find other action. Maybe it's a possibility for your group to not stick to the bg leader but to surf and when Anna doesn't do much and runs in circles all night just go off and do 8vs8.