Tower Doors

With tower doors going down so quickly, ports are broken before a given realm has the chance to respond to fight. I believe the goal was to encourage more keep fights but breaking ports makes it more difficult for defenders so the opportunity for a keep fight is less. I'd suggest that doors regain just a bit of their former muscle :)
Bumblebunny to the rescue !

Comments

• edited November 2018 PM
    Despite testing tower and keep doors this with John (we only had 10ish people on Pendragon), I think you're onto something . While it felt entirely reasonable at the time on test, when you apply the same rules to production - with more people - i'm left with a slightly different feeling.

I know its anecdotal, but keep doors (7+) now take an age; maybe even twice as long as before. Twice this weekend we have repelled Hero's 60+ because we've had more time to disrupt with cata's and fight them in the CY before the inner is down. This is predominately because they have a single rammer, and no on else meleeing the door. I know this was the reason for the ram / door changes, to provide longer fights and a chance for the 3rd realm to intervene in a fight, but it feels a tad too hard now.

When it comes to towers, the door is sometimes down before the ram even reaches the door. With Skald buffs being deliberately timed so that there is always one up, we can easily take a door down in under a minute.If anything, tower doors need to have more HP so that it allows defenders to port and port (i.e. port out of NF once we see something on fire and port into the keep that's being cut). Half the time it's a race against time and some of the BG don't make it, splitting forces.
    Post edited by Auberne on
  • @Auberne I thought that even though only 1 person can be on a ram the swing speed and damage was now the same as previously having the ram be full?

With the increased HP on some CK doors they do take a while to open but towers just seem to melt, I'd be in favor of a slight HP buff to the tower doors.
  • I was on a ram on my armsman and it seemed to swing at the same speed of being an empty ram. 10.5 seconds?
  • especially the doors of towers on EV seem way to easy to destroy to me.
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • unclaimed tower doors (specifically looking at ev towers, the door goes down in less than 10 seconds perhaps even 5 when running with a champ / tanks)

I guess working as intended? they can't have not known they would go so fast
    AlbionExiles (Warden) | AlbionExecutioner (Champion) | AlbionExile (Bainshee)
    TheWayForward
  • Yeah ev towers may as well be like they used to a couple patches ago with perma opened doors
  • Like the tower doors going down so quick makes for good action as small groups can break up larger Zerg ports that’s what game used to be like.
    Plus they will change hands faster and give smaller groups the opportunity to farm defend and disrupt.
    Nice to know that underpopulated realms can actually defend against larger zergs now will give more people the incentive to defend.
  • It’s great that bgs are now splitting forces again it gives smaller realms with small groups the opportunity to disrupt larger zergs and actually even the playing field.
  • Brut wrote: »
    Like the tower doors going down so quick makes for good action as small groups can break up larger Zerg ports that’s what game used to be like.
    Plus they will change hands faster and give smaller groups the opportunity to farm defend and disrupt.
    Nice to know that underpopulated realms can actually defend against larger zergs now will give more people the incentive to defend.

I also like the weaker doors for these reasons.
    "The grab bag isn't for explaining every single class change decision or reasoning or that's all we would ever do." - John_Broadsword
    "The type of of dev communication of 30 mins a day updates mentioned here just isn't feasible." - Carol_Broadsword
    "Our Studio. Our Rules." - http://www.mythicentertainment.com/
  • Keep doors as they are, but...
    To break port, 2 towers need to be taken is a better solution.
    Zergs can coordinate (and be attackable by a lesser zerg) and at the same time off peak action is plausible.
  • Get rid of lords in towers, when the door is broken put a 3minute timer up and whichever realm repaires the door after 3minutes get it. Same goes for when the tower is knocked to the ground. Sounds fun??
  • JakJak
    edited November 2018 PM
    Corey117 wrote: »
    Get rid of lords in towers, when the door is broken put a 3minute timer up and whichever realm repaires the door after 3minutes get it. Same goes for when the tower is knocked to the ground. Sounds fun??

Might make for some interesting fights.

Speaking for myself, I do not want to go and test on Pend when they come out with this new stuff. First, to have to change around things just so I can keep my regular daoc stuff 'in tact' and then load the test server is just silly.
    Second - been there, given feedback, lots of feedback with spreadsheets, issues etc...to this day the same stuff is still broken and yet to be addressed. Waste of time.
    Post edited by Jak on
  • unclaimed tower doors (specifically looking at ev towers, the door goes down in less than 10 seconds perhaps even 5 when running with a champ / tanks)

I guess working as intended? they can't have not known they would go so fast

i've seen EV tower doors go down in like two seconds...
    Stor Hurfru Muylasav, wildly swinging arms around. Vicomte Muylock, calling curses on enemies. Lord Muylaetrix, calling upon winter storms. some other chars with names starting with Muyl.
  • Jak wrote: »
    Corey117 wrote: »
    Get rid of lords in towers, when the door is broken put a 3minute timer up and whichever realm repaires the door after 3minutes get it. Same goes for when the tower is knocked to the ground. Sounds fun??

Might make for some interesting fights.

Speaking for myself, I do not want to go and test on Pend when they come out with this new stuff. First, to have to change around things just so I can keep my regular daoc stuff 'in tact' and then load the test server is just silly.
    Second - been there, given feedback, lots of feedback with spreadsheets, issues etc...to this day the same stuff is still broken and yet to be addressed. Waste of time.

i went to pendragon and tested the outer oil doors on my savage, i think with one handed bruiser i could take them down in 2-3 mins (savages can wield single handed bruiser and still do multiple hits but they hit unstyled and with low WS, lower damage than with claws), can't remember what level the keep was though, was probably low.

what does seem like an issue with oil doors is people spamming BM buff strip styles on them and leaving everyone inside buffless.
  • Auf nym I like the idea of two towers to break port could we see the return of the maze towers as well would make for great action around those areas.
  • edited November 2018 PM
    Brut wrote: »
    Auf nym I like the idea of two towers to break port could we see the return of the maze towers as well would make for great action around those areas.

i could support bringing back all 4 towers for each keep and making a break 2 towers to break port rule.

the sieges of towers in the mazes were certainly interesting. :) i certainly miss the towers in the mazes
    Post edited by Muylae on
  • Yep muylae I totally agree with you on that would make for some interesting fights.
  • Or it might give people more time to camp a keep
  • Muylae use low level hammer style with bruiser ,